Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-07-2017, 11:44 AM   #1581
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by bapp1236 View Post
Would you like the coding and app files no charge. I will share even though many have been trolling on here.
As another software and hardware fiddler, I would appreciate the files and any other details you are willing to share. Also second the comment to start another thread on this interesting subject--its getting hard to find in this thread.

Send me a PM and we'll go from there. Have several Arduino boards in spares that need something to do....
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 11:46 AM   #1582
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Lexington , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveMc View Post
The electronic controls seem neat. I've only pulled our 30' Safari & 2500HD combo about 7000-ish miles so far. In that time, I've only felt like I needed to adjust the jacks "post-takeoff" a time or two. Easy enough to pull over and do it.

But never crossed my mind that building that contraption would be a huge asset. Of all the slop issues that needed solving, you thought that automating the jacks would have the most impact? I agree with others, something is not adding up.

Snapping pics of your actual rig hooked up with your phone never crossed your mind? Something is starting to stink... been that way for a while now, and we've politely conversed with you. Please post truthful and complete info, or go away. It's okay if you don't personally own an Airstream or a ProPride, and just need help understanding something, but tell us up front...
Seems like you want only certain people on this forum. People tend to criticize what they don't understand.
bapp1236 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 11:59 AM   #1583
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Lexington , Kentucky
I would be happy to share the files. I'll PM you with the links.
bapp1236 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 10:52 AM   #1584
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
Getting Weighed

I took my Classic 30 Slideout to Sumter Oaks RV Park in Bushnell, FL to take advantage of the Smartweigh program offered by Escapees, and had some interesting results.

First, I was pleasantly surprised by the side to side and front to rear balance of the trailer wheel weights. The side to side weight variance was less than 20# and the front to rear variance was less than 100#.

The Propride-relevant part of this process was the initially scary part. They calculated my tongue weight as 1400#. When added to my wheel weights, the trailer was substantially overweight. Remembering the weighing process described here on Airforums for the CAT scales, it said to leave the WD hitch head and bars on the TV when weighing the truck separately. Initially I didn't understand that, and it isn't possible with the Propride, at least not without a lot of work. After thinking about it with respect to my weighing results, I now understand it. While the weight of the Propride components mounted to the trailer ends up being included in the "tongue weight" as calculated by the CAT scale process, they should not be added to the weight on the wheels to come up with the trailer GVW since they are actually carried by the TV. They should, however, be included in the "tongue weight" when considering the load on the TV receiver. I think this is further evidence that the "tongue weight" as far as the receiver is concerned should be calculated by comparing the total weight of the TV alone with the total weight of the TV when hitched with WD applied, and would be most accurate if the stinger is removed when weighing the truck alone.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 07:57 PM   #1585
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
Propride "Hacks"

I recently made two modifications to my Propride, one of which I'm pretty sure I saw on here.

First, I went to Advance Auto Parts and bought a battery carrier strap. I bolted it to the top bolt on the stinger, it makes a perfect carrying handle, right at the balance point. I'd like to give credit to the original inventor, but I can't find the post now.

Second, I painted the front edge of the stinger receiver on the hitch body with white paint. I find that when backing into the trailer with the sun in front of me the shadow of the truck makes it very hard to see the opening for the stinger in the rear view camera on the TV. The white outline makes the opening stand out.

Al
Old 01-18-2018, 08:55 PM   #1586
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al and Missy View Post
I took my Classic 30 Slideout to Sumter Oaks RV Park in Bushnell, FL to take advantage of the Smartweigh program offered by Escapees, and had some interesting results.

First, I was pleasantly surprised by the side to side and front to rear balance of the trailer wheel weights. The side to side weight variance was less than 20# and the front to rear variance was less than 100#.

Al
I went back and checked my weight slip. I was mistaken. The CS front tire was 100# lighter than the other three. Still pretty good balance. This was observable on my TPMS. Starting with all four tires at the same pressure, the CS front increased a pound or two less than the others at speed.

Al
Old 01-18-2018, 11:05 PM   #1587
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Wheaton , Illinois
Quote:
I recently made two modifications to my Propride, one of which I'm pretty sure I saw on here...

Second, I painted the front edge of the stinger receiver on the hitch body with white paint. I find that when backing into the trailer with the sun in front of me the shadow of the truck makes it very hard to see the opening for the stinger in the rear view camera on the TV. The white outline makes the opening stand out.

Al
Instead of painting the outside of the hitch body stinger receiver opening white, consider using silver reflective tape instead. Equal to white paint in the day, superior at night.

I also use strips of silver reflective tape on my tow vehicle rear bumper to help me gauge how close my wheels are to the edge of the pavement. The strips are placed in such a way on the bumper so that when backing up and viewing through the camera, when the strip on one side lines up with the edge of pavement, my wheels are a few inches away from the edge. Great parallel parking aid, as well.

Greg
greghoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 07:12 AM   #1588
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Quote:
I recently made two modifications to my Propride, one of which I'm pretty sure I saw on here.

First, I went to Advance Auto Parts and bought a battery carrier strap. I bolted it to the top bolt on the stinger, it makes a perfect carrying handle, right at the balance point. I'd like to give credit to the original inventor, but I can't find the post now.

Al

How about a picture of that carry handle you made for the stinger?
Old 01-19-2018, 09:57 AM   #1589
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by greghoro View Post
Instead of painting the outside of the hitch body stinger receiver opening white, consider using silver reflective tape instead. Equal to white paint in the day, superior at night.

I also use strips of silver reflective tape on my tow vehicle rear bumper to help me gauge how close my wheels are to the edge of the pavement. The strips are placed in such a way on the bumper so that when backing up and viewing through the camera, when the strip on one side lines up with the edge of pavement, my wheels are a few inches away from the edge. Great parallel parking aid, as well.

Greg
Didn't think about the reflective tape. Great idea, thanks!

Al
Old 01-19-2018, 10:34 AM   #1590
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
Here you go

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojoe7009 View Post
How about a picture of that carry handle you made for the stinger?
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0374.jpg
Views:	645
Size:	414.2 KB
ID:	302667

I was concerned that the strap might vibrate in the wind. I dont think it does; it is pretty stiff. It is easily manageable with one hand, lines up and mates with the trailer or TV easily.

Al
Old 01-19-2018, 12:43 PM   #1591
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Quote:
Attachment 302667

I was concerned that the strap might vibrate in the wind. I dont think it does; it is pretty stiff. It is easily manageable with one hand, lines up and mates with the trailer or TV easily.

Al

Great idea! I’m totally stealing this idea. Thanks for sharing.
Old 01-19-2018, 04:44 PM   #1592
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
I stole it from someone else, just can't figure out who.
Old 01-21-2018, 10:45 PM   #1593
Rivet Master

South East , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojoe7009 View Post
Great idea! I’m totally stealing this idea. Thanks for sharing.

X2. One of those is now on my shopping list. Will be done by the end of the week!
Old 04-04-2018, 08:50 PM   #1594
2 Rivet Member

2019 28' International
2000 30' Excella
Lago Vista , Texas
Lots of good info in here. I've been reading but haven't seen this. My question is, has anyone tried towing without the WD bars? My TV is a Chevy 2500 4 door and it has air bags in the back. I've towed with the bars tightened up and with them loose and hanging and it doesn't seem to be much difference. If I don't need them on there it would free up a lot of ground clearance. Has anyone tried it with them completely removed?
ONESICKPUPPY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 09:52 PM   #1595
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ONESICKPUPPY View Post
Lots of good info in here. I've been reading but haven't seen this. My question is, has anyone tried towing without the WD bars? My TV is a Chevy 2500 4 door and it has air bags in the back. I've towed with the bars tightened up and with them loose and hanging and it doesn't seem to be much difference. If I don't need them on there it would free up a lot of ground clearance. Has anyone tried it with them completely removed?
Howdy! what size is your trailer? does your TV change when you use the WD's? Something out of whack here... help us understand..

maybe a fresh thread would help... are you talking about your ProPride or a regular WD hitch? What kind?
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 05:45 PM   #1596
2 Rivet Member

2019 28' International
2000 30' Excella
Lago Vista , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwf View Post
Howdy! what size is your trailer? does your TV change when you use the WD's? Something out of whack here... help us understand..

maybe a fresh thread would help... are you talking about your ProPride or a regular WD hitch? What kind?

Yeah sorry a bit vague. Yeah if this is in the wrong thread sorry. It's a 32' Excella with a 3" lift. TV doesn't change to much but I've been watching some YouTube videos. Looks like airbags can bring it back up to normal ride height but there will still be more weight on the TV axle and less weight on the steering axle. Long sentence [emoji14]. So I guess the question would be how quick can I stop each way. And if it stops the same with W/D bars the same then I guess I answered my own question.
ONESICKPUPPY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 05:53 PM   #1597
"Silver Shrek"

2000 27' Safari
Crestwood , Kentucky
It’s about steering with not enough weight on the front end
drairstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 06:19 PM   #1598
4 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Waco , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ONESICKPUPPY View Post
Yeah sorry a bit vague. Yeah if this is in the wrong thread sorry. It's a 32' Excella with a 3" lift. TV doesn't change to much but I've been watching some YouTube videos. Looks like airbags can bring it back up to normal ride height but there will still be more weight on the TV axle and less weight on the steering axle. Long sentence [emoji14]. So I guess the question would be how quick can I stop each way. And if it stops the same with W/D bars the same then I guess I answered my own question.
Airbags do not and will not distribute tongue weight forward to the TV front axle and rearward to the Trailer axles. That is what the WD Hitch is designed to do. Visually if your not seeing any response; either your TV is rated for handling the really high tongue weight...like a Ford F350 or F450 and you may not even need the WD Hitch.

Recommend hook up and go to a triple CAT scale with your typical hookup and weigh with the WD bars off. Then repeat the weight with the bars in. Compare axle weights from the two runs. This should tell you exactly how your WD Hitch is working. Typically you should see some weight transfer with the WD Hitch on even a Ford F350. Good Luck with the analysis.
Martee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 07:30 AM   #1599
ObviouslyKnot

Currently Looking...
KAILUA , HI
I'd call Sean at pro pride. Those bars are part of the engineered head assembly that provides the anti sway. Leaving them off may transfer some forces to components not designed for independent ops.
Old 04-09-2018, 03:58 PM   #1600
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Niagara Falls , New York
New to me PP just arrived...

*Hello, I'm newly registered to the forum but I've been watching & reading this forum for a few years now.*
I'm an SOB that got started into trailer camping about 5 years ago when we started a family and decided that tent camping was going to be more trouble than fun, especially considering that we often camp in bear country - all the smells that go along with babies can be attractive to a black bear on the lookout for a midnight snack & my wife said give me solid walls and get us off the ground!
We started with a 2012 Passport hybrid, and with our latest addition to the family, have up sized to a Coleman bunkhouse. Some day, we'll upgrade to an AS.
Way back since my wife and I were young campers, we have always admired the shiny mirror like finish and interior design of an AirStream. Unfortunately for now, we have to settle for SOB to get through till our two girls have education expenses and such all set. But we do whatever we can to keep camping in the meantime!*
All that said, I do hope that no-one minds us joining in on AS specific forum when/if the topic can help either way, as I have found a wealth of knowledge here over the years.
FYI, picture attached is before unhitching, but I had already released the weight distribution before I thought to take the pic.
2015 Silverado*1500*Crew 4x4, 5.3, 3.42 gears. 1700 payload, 9200lb towing. I know, nearly at the limits with the 2018 Coleman 285bh, 900 weighed tongue (sherline scale) and about 7000 total weight.*
I'm into electronics, mechanics, etc, so I have 2 6 volt trojan setup, solar to charge them, and I've done some misc mods myself through the years.

The above is from my post to the 'New member's ' area....

What I'm really here for today is the Propride that I've been researching for a couple of months, and I see that there is an overwhelming amount of knowledge here as I have read this thread in its entirety over the last few months.

I just received my new-to-me PP, 1400 bars, which I must question whether is as new as it was pictured and described to me... I hope to set up as per the directions this coming weekend.

I was told it was 'like new' and only 6 months old when I purchased it, but upon opening the first box, I'm skeptical.

Can anyone help me with an educated guess as to how old this unit really is, or if I should be leery in trusting it?
I'm just going to post some pics, and hope to get some follow-up.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20180409_164223.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	382.2 KB
ID:	308289   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180409_164233.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	342.0 KB
ID:	308290  

Name:	20180409_164246.jpg