Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Hitches, Couplers & Balls
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-07-2016, 02:44 PM   #1441
3 Rivet Member

Springtown , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
I think he means, does it matter that his side plates are welded to the stinger half of the assembly, rather than the receiver half of the assembly. I'm inclined to say that it doesn't matter, as long as proper welding and steel is used...but really an engineer needs to answer...and would need a lot more information.
Yes exactly.

I am copying the points of the 3P ProPride hitch I think are superior to the Hensley Arrow. I was going to just buy the 3P adjustable HA stinger but they are out of stock and I don't need to spend the $300+ on that improvement anyway.

The "backwards" configuration is really just like all the other WD hitches on the market, thus I bought a pre-fabbed truck side hitch bar to use in the conversion so I don't have to drill all the holes in the solid stock. I will likely go ahead and get it all tacked up and see If I can spot a problem. I have already tested it fairly well clamped together and don't see the difference.
CarterKraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 12:19 AM   #1442
2 Rivet Member

2023 33' Classic
Casa Grande , Arizona
2017 AS Classic 30 and ProPride P3 Install

Hello we just brought a 2017 Airstream Classic 30 and are going to install a ProPride P3 hitch. During the install what are the tricks and fixes to any problems that you encountered? I'm looking for anything that is particular to a 2017 Airstream Classic or information from anyone who has installed on a 2017 Classic.
ProPride 3P
WBCCI Region 11 President - Life Members #222, AIR #118556, KJ6DKF
Sparr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 08:16 AM   #1443
2 Rivet Member

2023 33' Classic
Casa Grande , Arizona
PP shims and shorter bolts are now included

I just spoke with Sean at PP and he advised me that he now includes the shims for the PP jacks and shorter 2 3/4" and 2 1/2” jack bolts with the P3 hitch.

What Service!
ProPride 3P
WBCCI Region 11 President - Life Members #222, AIR #118556, KJ6DKF
Sparr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 01:50 AM   #1444
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Andy at CanAM took the 23D and Mercedes with the Hensley hitch out onto a side street and drove a short distance with the steering wheel straight. He then got out and sighted along the dual trailer wheels to be sure they were aligned with the Mercedes wheels for proper tracking.

One might need a long 2x4 with spacers between the board and tires touching the tow vehicle tires to sight along a wide body trailer.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 11:25 PM   #1445
1 Rivet Member

2016 25' International
Atlanta , Georgia
mt
Roadtrippin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 06:47 AM   #1446
4 Rivet Member

2015 27' FB International
Howard , Ohio
The unofficial pp users guide...

I have another data point indicating how well the ProPride works.

I was traveling south on the interstate in Alabama at about 70. I was in the inside lane and a car was on my outside maybe half a car length in front of my TV. He saw his exit coming up on the right and braked hard down my outside to get across behind me. Only one problem, he started to turn in before clearing the rear of the AS. He hit just behind the rear axle and slid along the side of the AS until he either cleared the rear or turned back out. From the TV I felt a thud coming through the hitch but the rig stayed perfectly straight, no steering input required. In fact I was not entirely sure anyone had hit me. I did see the car weaving around behind me in the middle of the 2 lane highway and then pulling over so I assumed something had happened. I stopped a few miles down the road and checked for damage.

I'm not sure how well a conventional hitch would have done with a firm nudge rear of the AS axle but I'm glad I did not find out. I'll be keeping the ProPride.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2605.JPG
Views:	133
Size:	319.7 KB
ID:	283148  
Ohiobrits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 01:47 PM   #1447
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Wow. I know my ProPride performs well in crosswinds or passing big rig turbulence wake scenarios, but did not see proof that it could help stabilize things in a minor collision...until now.

I'm even gladder (if there is such a word) that I bought one...

Glad all you got was a few 'beauty marks' on the side--it could have been very much worse...

I can imagine how much sway that 'bump' could have started at 70 mph with a conventional hitch setup...
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 02:29 PM   #1448
4 Rivet Member

2015 27' FB International
Howard , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
Wow. I know my ProPride performs well in crosswinds or passing....I can imagine how much sway that 'bump' could have started at 70 mph with a conventional hitch setup...
I'm not in a hurry to find out what a conventional hitch would have done....Ill leave that to others to experiment with.

This trip has been one for firsts, the AS got hit and we had a puncture on the TV all in the space of about 50 miles of highway My wife decided she doesn't like Alabama any more Heading to Gulf State park tomorrow from NOLA so hope our second visit goes better.
Ohiobrits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 02:32 PM   #1449
Rivet Master

Corona , California
I suspect a conventional hitch would have made it very hard to maintain stability with a bump like that. I don't want to experiment either...

Lived in Huntsville, Alabama for many years. Still have family in the area.

There are nice places to see in the state, but we did not enjoy the winters--it snowed on our home every winter...

Back in California for now...
Old 04-11-2017, 10:48 PM   #1450
Rivet Master

South East , Michigan
All I can say is WOW!!! Hope the damage:
a) was minor.
b) covered by insurance
c) fixed quickly.
Old 05-08-2017, 07:20 PM   #1451
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
WD jacks at 26 inches, NOT?

At the risk of cross posting, I'll ask the question that I asked on the Slideout Society thread as I thought perhaps my issue was slideout peculiar.

I am converting from an Equal-i-zer to a Propride and have hit a bump in the road. The installation instructions say to mount the WD jacks 26 +/- 1-1/2 inches from the center of the coupler ball socket, or no more than 27-1/2 inches. Without cutting and welding I can get no closer than about 29 inches, and even if I moved the propane tank mount forward until the cover hits the tongue jack, I could only recover 1/2-3/4".

So the straps linking the jacks to the bars have a slight forward angle to them when fully relaxed. I think that will improve as they are raised, but I haven't done so yet.

I have read this entire thread, looking at many installation pictures and I haven't yet been able to identify why my trailer is different. In order to get close to 27-1/2" I would have to leave off the propane tank cover and cut off the pieces of steel rod that are welded to the WD jack baseplates.

Has anyone else encountered this problem and, if so, what did you do about it?

Thanks,

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 07:25 PM   #1452
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al and Missy View Post
At the risk of cross posting, I'll ask the question that I asked on the Slideout Society thread as I thought perhaps my issue was slideout peculiar.

I am converting from an Equal-i-zer to a Propride and have hit a bump in the road. The installation instructions say to mount the WD jacks 26 +/- 1-1/2 inches from the center of the coupler ball socket, or no more than 27-1/2 inches. Without cutting and welding I can get no closer than about 29 inches, and even if I moved the propane tank mount forward until the cover hits the tongue jack, I could only recover 1/2-3/4".

So the straps linking the jacks to the bars have a slight forward angle to them when fully relaxed. I think that will improve as they are raised, but I haven't done so yet.

I have read this entire thread, looking at many installation pictures and I haven't yet been able to identify why my trailer is different. In order to get close to 27-1/2" I would have to leave off the propane tank cover and cut off the pieces of steel rod that are welded to the WD jack baseplates.

Has anyone else encountered this problem and, if so, what did you do about it?

Thanks,

Al

Call Sean at ProPride. He's the owner and super helpful. Best customer service I've ever had. He will help you figure it out. We have 2017 Classic and had several issues after a lousy dealer installation. Sean personally walked me through the many fixes needed over the phone. Can't say enough good things about him and the hitch.
Old 05-08-2017, 07:33 PM   #1453
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
Thanks, Mojoe.

I ended up buying a used hitch. It was in much poorer shape than the seller let on. $150 worth of parts and several days of effort later, it is close to like new. Sean was super helpful during my search, but I ended up not buying new from him. I may have exhausted the supply of goodwill, but I will try a call tomorrow.

Al
Old 05-08-2017, 08:29 PM   #1454
Rivet Master

Corona , California
The unofficial pp users guide...

I had similar issues with my jacks being a bit off. It dies not seem to matter. Hitch still works great. I pulled the propane tanks and base off and raised the base a bit with longer bolts and flat washers to accommodate the jacks as close to proper location. Cover sits a little askew but does not rattle.

Sean will work with you...he's a good guy. He put up with all my silly questions with grace and good advice.
Old 05-09-2017, 04:19 PM   #1455
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
On our 2014 Classic, we had to cut the base plates of the jack stands so they could crowd the propane tanks. We also got ¼" shims from Sean with a ½" hole partially drilled as fillers for the gap in the frame rails.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 07:23 AM   #1456
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
First Tow

After a lot of fiddling I towed the trailer to storage. A few things I found odd:
1. The placement instructions for the yoke bracket give a more precise dimension than for the jack brackets, +/- 1/2". When I went to install the yoke I had to move them forward over an inch to get it to line up.
2. Even though the jack brackets were supposed to be at 26 +/- 1-1/2", I have mine at about 29-1/2 and they seem to line up fine.

In addition, I had to build the adjustable stinger three times to get the height right to make the trailer level. This was expected due to variability in truck squat from one truck to the next. Next time I bring it home I'll take some pictures of the setup and post them. I'll probably send them to Sean for comment. I never got around to calling him as I wanted to get it set up as best I could before doing that and we were under some time pressure due to contractors needing access to the driveway.

I towed the trailer about 20 miles to the storage place. First impression was that it was more stable in yaw. No more reaction coming out of turns. I backed it into a parking space at the storage facility with no problems.

I do, however, have the "bump" if braking while turning. I have posted on here before about feeling like I could use more braking on the 30 Classic. It has the same brakes as my 25 had and weighs 50% more. I have the OEM Ram controller set to heavy electric and max gain so I'm going to try checking the adjustment one more time after making sure the drums are not worn beyond spec. If I can't get some improvement, I guess a set of discs is in my future.

Al
Old 05-13-2017, 08:39 AM   #1457
ObviouslyKnot

Currently Looking...
KAILUA , HI
Attachment 285434

I cut my slide guides a bit too clear the propane cover. No issues.
Old 05-13-2017, 08:51 AM   #1458
2 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Boulder , Colorado
So my new ProrRde is set to arrive today. I've been reading through all the great information in this thread. I believe I'm ready to to go with the slight modification and tools etc..... Mine is going on a 25ft 2006 Safari.

However, one question is for the larger bolts I can't seem to find the socket sizes. Chances are my small socket set will not have the necessary socket size for the larger bolts.

Can someone put that out there for me?

Hoping for a smooth install!

Thanks
Abj1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 09:10 AM   #1459
ObviouslyKnot

Currently Looking...
KAILUA , HI
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...0Operation.pdf

This might help. Get a big-o torque wrench, and a friend. Love my Pro Pride.
Old 05-13-2017, 09:17 AM   #1460
ObviouslyKnot

Currently Looking...
KAILUA , HI
And careful about that chain length note, I've found straight on isn't the longest chain I needed. Sit in the truck while some one else slowly drives a sharp turn and see for yourself.