Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Hitches, Couplers & Balls
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-12-2014, 02:04 PM   #961
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
I drove Friday 8th from Birmingham, AL to Adgar AL (just due west of B-ham) and hit my first experience of driving in high winds...some bands of rain and lightning came through...I was in a rush and did not see this...but the wind was impressive..not sure of top speeds, but treetops on hwy 459 were bent over noticeably....

I slowed up to 45mph and despite all that wind, it only managed to knock me around a bit...I was curious to see if any sway came into play...very little with big gusts...mostly with the big gusts, I just felt it kinda wanna push me...all was well.

My only problem was that for some reason I had the lame idea to try a different WD setting..put it on 5.5 inches instead of my usual 6 inches...and the steering felt noticeably loose...it was weird...I pulled over and corrected it to 6 inches and it felt great.

Overall, I was extremely happy to have had an airstream with a quality hitch in that scary clip of weather...luckily it was not extreme weather....drove right through it and had no issues...

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 09:21 AM   #962
Tino

Currently Looking...
Blainville , Quebec
Total lenght???

Somebody can tell me what is the total lenght of the PP between the end of the hitch truch and the center of the ball of the airstream. Thanks
Tino643 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 09:29 AM   #963
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tino643 View Post
Somebody can tell me what is the total lenght of the PP between the end of the hitch truch and the center of the ball of the airstream. Thanks
I would be happy to measure mine for you, if you explain the highlighted word for me. Is that a typo for "truck" or is it another word I'm not familiar with? In either case, could you tell me in different words where you want the front point of the measurement?

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 03:39 PM   #964
Tino

Currently Looking...
Blainville , Quebec
Sorry, truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag&Au View Post
I would be happy to measure mine for you, if you explain the highlighted word for me. Is that a typo for "truck" or is it another word I'm not familiar with? In either case, could you tell me in different words where you want the front point of the measurement?

Ken
End of the truck hitch! Thanks
Tino643 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 07:45 PM   #965
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tino643 View Post
End of the truck hitch! Thanks
From rear edge of the receiver on my 2003 Dodge to the center of the ball mount on the trailer is 19 1/2". Google says that's 49.53 cm.

There could be a small error due to the fact it's not actually hitched, but I'm sure its within 1 cm.

Of course, there could be some variance between vehicles depending on the distance from the rear of the receiver to the hitch pin holes in the receiver.

Ken
Old 09-01-2014, 09:35 AM   #966
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Since I attached the Rock Tamer stone guards to the vertical post of the stinger, that assembly is now both really awkward and even heavier to move. I put the red reflective tape from semi trucks on all vertical rear and side facing surfaces on the vertical "L" as well as a square on the end of the stinger itself. Sort of like a red flag for overhangs on cargo.

I just leave the assembly on the truck now. The garage is deep enough that the truck still fits.

I make the effort to park in such a way that the stinger is not in the line of travel for vehicles or people passing behind the truck. That may mean backing into a spot at the edge of a parking lot or pulling half way through a long or two vehicle spot.

I just do not seem to have the strength I did 20 years ago......

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 10:02 AM   #967
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by switz View Post
Since I attached the Rock Tamer stone guards to the vertical post of the stinger, that assembly is now both really awkward and even heavier to move. I put the red reflective tape from semi trucks on all vertical rear and side facing surfaces on the vertical "L" as well as a square on the end of the stinger itself. Sort of like a red flag for overhangs on cargo.

I just leave the assembly on the truck now. The garage is deep enough that the truck still fits.

I make the effort to park in such a way that the stinger is not in the line of travel for vehicles or people passing behind the truck. That may mean backing into a spot at the edge of a parking lot or pulling half way through a long or two vehicle spot.

I just do not seem to have the strength I did 20 years ago......
I would like to see a photo of your Rock Tamers mounted on the vertical post. I just looked at ours and could see no way we could do that. When our ProPride is pinned into the truck receiver, there is just enough of the horizontal bar sticking out of the receiver to mount the Rock Tamers on it.

We take our stinger (with rock tamers attached) off anytime we are going to be driving the truck around alone for more than a day or so. I can do it myself, but it helps when we both are there to lift and maneuver them around. I'm 71, 5'8" & 145#, but keep a up a rigorous exercise routine.

Ken
Old 09-23-2014, 10:34 AM   #968
Islander

2005 28' International CCD
Deer Harbor , ORCAS ISLAND WA
hensley offset stinger

can it be used either UP or Down,,,,,,>>??????

what is correct height from pavement to center of receiver or what??

WBCCI 2541

4CU
kingfisher24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 03:02 PM   #969
Rivet Master

ProrPride/Rock Tamers stand

This may seem a little pricey, but it sure is convenient.

http://www.rocktamers.com/mudflap/systems.asp

It is made to be a retail display stand, but works well for storage. I may decide it needs one more brace for the vertical bar to the plate/bar that makes the base, but that would be quick and simple. I am also thinking three castors might be a worthwhile addition.

Ken
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0332.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	245.2 KB
ID:	222654  
Old 09-23-2014, 07:39 PM   #970
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Sean had to make a slight adjustment on the depth of the hitch pin into the receiver for my PPRIDE STINGER. That way I could mount the rock tamer adapter on to the horizontal shaft of the stinger. Either that or I would have to have cut off a portion of the receiver sleeve that adjusts Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1411522716.904579.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	801.1 KB
ID:	222687Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1411522776.421609.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	920.9 KB
ID:	222688 2 1/2 to 2 inch.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 07:44 PM   #971
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwf View Post
Sean had to make a slight adjustment on the depth of the hitch pin into the receiver for my PPRIDE STINGER. That way I could mount the rock tamer adapter on to the horizontal shaft of the stinger. Either that or I would have to have cut off a portion of the receiver sleeve that adjusts Attachment 222687Attachment 222688 2 1/2 to 2 inch.
On my Dodge with the RT's, I have about 1/4"' to spare. Surprisingly the hole on the red stand is in exactly the same place as on my truck.

Ken
Old 09-23-2014, 07:49 PM   #972
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag&Au View Post
On my Dodge with the RT's, I have about 1/4"' to spare. Surprisingly the hole on the red stand is in exactly the same place as on my truck.

Ken

Ken,
That is about how mine would fit if the "adapter" didn't have a flare to keep it from sliding in too far. Dznf0g I think had same issue on GM truck so he cut the flare off. I wanted it to,"fit"... And Sean did too so,he made it right!
Old 09-23-2014, 08:12 PM   #973
2020 Classic 33

Box Elder , South Dakota
Mine are mounted like Ken. Allows me to keep them up high and back further from the diesel exhaust end on my Duramax. Needs to be back 12" or more otherwise that flap tends to warp. Don't ask how I know
ghaynes755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 09:22 AM   #974
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghaynes755 View Post
Mine are mounted like Ken. Allows me to keep them up high and back further from the diesel exhaust end on my Duramax. Needs to be back 12" or more otherwise that flap tends to warp. Don't ask how I know
That might explain something that I was curious about. After 5 years of mostly interstate freeway towing, the right flap is starting to deteriorate and tear way from the support on the outer edge. That is the one behind my diesel exhaust. The factory says five years is about life expectancy. The replacement flaps cost less than $100, so I guess less than $20 per year is good insurance for the front of the trailer. The ones in the picture are the old ones so you can see they are still useful. I have the new ones, but waited to get the stand to make the flap replacement a little easier.

Ken
Old 09-24-2014, 10:01 AM   #975
2020 Classic 33

Box Elder , South Dakota
Ken you also might want to get new SS screws for the flap attachment to the slider tube and the small centering screw that goes through the slider and the tube. You may find that while they are stainless they will have a fair amount of rust after 5 years and the self lock nuts are not as strong.
Old 09-24-2014, 10:36 AM   #976
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghaynes755 View Post
Ken you also might want to get new SS screws for the flap attachment to the slider tube and the small centering screw that goes through the slider and the tube. You may find that while they are stainless they will have a fair amount of rust after 5 years and the self lock nuts are not as strong.
Thanks Gary,
As a matter of fact, they included all new nuts and bolts for free with the order. I also decided to spruce them up a bit with the stainless steel "Rock Tamer" plates this time. Rock Tamer also makes plates that say "Airstream", but they sell those to Airstream and you can only buy them through the Airstream Store. I decided I give Airstream enough free advertising just by towing the trailer around. When not actually towing the trailer I would rather fit in a bit more with the rest of pickup drivers. The Airstream plates seem to me a bit like wearing a coat and tie to a rodeo if you you don't have the trailer to go with them.

Ken
Old 09-24-2014, 12:57 PM   #977
2020 Classic 33

Box Elder , South Dakota
But the Airstream plates are really cool....And I get a monthly stipend from AS for the advertising value

Only kidding....
Old 09-24-2014, 07:43 PM   #978
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Hey... Ken, if the street/driver side flap is ok, move it to the right... that is what I will do... it will be a hassle but i might double the "life".. then when they are both ragged I can replace..??????
Old 09-24-2014, 08:28 PM   #979
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwf View Post
Hey... Ken, if the street/driver side flap is ok, move it to the right... that is what I will do... it will be a hassle but i might double the "life".. then when they are both ragged I can replace..??????
That is a good idea, but in my case I can see the left is not too far behind. So I'll go with two shiny new ones. I also want to cut them a couple of inches longer this time. The old ones will be repurposed as pads between things packed in the truck bed, so in theory I will have a spare.

Ken
Old 10-01-2014, 08:47 AM   #980
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
I'm guessing using a ProPride with an Arvika frame mounted bike rack won't work as the Arvika mounts on the A frame behind the propane tanks.

Kelvin
KJRitchie is offline   Reply With Quote