Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-03-2009, 05:03 PM   #161
4 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Land of fruits and nuts , California
The jumping jack vid was for comic relief.

The hitch head is pointed up slightly when hitched to match the stinger which is tilted down slightly. Tomorrow I will grind down the rivet slightly to get the stinger more level. That will likely raise everything and inch or so. If that isn't enough I'll go up one more bolt hole on the stinger.

The W/D links are on the second hole from the top. I noticed in your photos, 2air, that yours are on the third hole from top. I'll move mine tomorrow as well.

I'm gonna do the measurement thing tomorrow, then head to the scales.

When I do my move out west later this month, the bed is gonna be full of stuff (motorcycle, tools, etc, etc), but I have aux airbags that I intend to inflate just enough to re-level the truck prior to hitching up.

Reciever box height unhitched was 22.75"

Finally, I did try to grind the nut holder but nothing I had would fit in that small space and it would take a millenia to file that thing down by hand. Not gonna happen.
Airstream01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 05:49 PM   #162
ProPride Industries, Inc.
Commercial Member

Holly , MI
Hey Brian,

Everything looks good and that nut won't ever be a problem. That side is supported by the nut block. As I said on the phone this is only time I have had this problem so I'm not sure what could have caused it. The nut block material is the same dimensions and only cut to length. I wonder if there was weld splatter in the fixture which didn't allow that block to fit up tight against the bearing housing when it was welded. That would move the hole slightly forward. We'll be putting a process in place to check this.

Functionally, you won't have ANY performance issues whatsoever with the fix.

On the hitch bar... you don't need to use the rivet if no tilt is required. I would remove it and tighten torque the bolts.

I agree with 2air' on the weight distribution. I think you can give yourself more weight distribution but a trip to the scales will get it dialed in exactly.

Finally, GOOD WORK with a problem right foot! I laughed when I saw the video even before you commented on it comic relief.

-
Tu ne cede malis
Sean Woodruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 06:26 PM   #163
4 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
So here is another question, based on these photos of the rear of the yoke, do I need to move the rear cross brace back a little? Doesn't the yoke roll on that roller when going over a crest/dip in the road or does everything just move on the ball?

By the way, how do my chains look? I think they are about perfect but maybe could stand one link to be taken out.

Old 12-03-2009, 06:30 PM   #164
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Woodruff View Post
Hey Brian,

Everything looks good and that nut won't ever be a problem. That side is supported by the nut block. As I said on the phone this is only time I have had this problem so I'm not sure what could have caused it. The nut block material is the same dimensions and only cut to length
.................................................. .................................................. ..............
Functionally, you won't have ANY performance issues whatsoever with the fix.

-
I had the same problem but less severe with my hitch head. I did not mention it because the nut fit, but it was very snug. The lock washer however would not clear the nut block. Since the fit was so tight, it seemed that the lock washer was redundant anyway so I left it out. That nut is not going to come loose until Dec 21, 2012 or later. I plan to tow the trailer to the top of one of the pyramids in Tikal the day before.
Regards,
Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 06:31 PM   #165
_

. , .
ok good info all around guys...

and we all agree on the action movie too...

at 22.75 inches for the receiver,

u might be at the full drop on the stock stinger.

and i understand there is an EVEN LONGER one if needed for higher trucks.

another nice thing about the adjustability of that piece.

good job solving the problem, looking forward to your review on how it feels towing.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 06:43 PM   #166
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airstream01 View Post
So here is another question, based on these photos of the rear of the yoke, do I need to move the rear cross brace back a little? Doesn't the yoke roll on that roller when going over a crest/dip in the road or does everything just move on the ball?
another really good question...

my (UNofficial) suggestion is while UNHITCHED, tighten and loosen the screw jacks maximally...

which will move the w/d bars high/low and THAT...

will TILT (up/down) the hitch head through the full range possible.

while doing this INSPECT the yoke tail/cross bar for movement.

THEN reposition the frame bracket as needed for clearance at the roller.

also recheck the yoke/A frame relationship for ~parallel. (see pic 3/4 in post #17)

the yoke clearance may matter SOME during towing,

but during hitch up or UN hitching on some really convoluted parking spots, hitch HEAD TILT can be an issue.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
Old 12-03-2009, 06:49 PM   #167
4 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
^^Good idea, I'll give the jacks a whirl tomorrow as well. Thanks
Old 12-03-2009, 06:55 PM   #168
4 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman View Post
at 22.75 inches for the receiver,

u might be at the full drop on the stock stinger.

and i understand there is an EVEN LONGER one if needed for higher trucks.

cheers
2air'
If I go to the full 8" drop, the hitch will be dragging the ground.

Everything is already a little low for my tastes as I intend to do a little rockdocking when I get out west. I think there is less than a foot under the W/D bars.
Old 12-03-2009, 07:09 PM   #169
_

. , .
Quote:
...I think there is less than a foot under the W/D bars.
yeah, this is a regular concern for many, when initially using these contraptions.

but tightening the screw jacks and tensioning the w/d bars will RAISE the hitch junction...

my rig climbs 2-4 inches as the jacks are tightened.

look at the SIDE pics in post #21 or devos, or steveh's or yours...

typically the SPARE TIRE carrier is ~ the same clearance as the hitch, once properly adjusted.

starting with MORE drop (if needed) means the trailer will RISE to level but not go UP past level,

as the truck axle loads are balanced.

this will be more apparent, once u play with the settings at the scales.

my rig is ~57 ft long and occasionally i loosen the screw jacks when headed OFF road.

this actually decreases front/A frame clearance but raises the tail some.

which is useful in places where the tail may drag,

like long concave shaped gullies or crowned roads leading into steep drive ways.

cheers
2air'

Old 12-03-2009, 07:14 PM   #170
4 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Good points all around. I do, however, think the drop will be about perfect. When I view my photos above, it appears to me both the rear of the truck and the front of the trailer could stand to go up another couple inches. And yes, I do have calibrated eyeballs
Old 12-03-2009, 07:43 PM   #171
Commercial Member

Holly , MI
Quote:

It moves slightly forward and rearward on hills and dips. It wouldn't hurt to move the frame bracket back slightly to give yourself some more space between the tubes on the frame bracket and the tail plate on the yoke.

-
Tu ne cede malis
Old 12-03-2009, 08:44 PM   #172
4 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Woodruff View Post
It moves slightly forward and rearward on hills and dips. It wouldn't hurt to move the frame bracket back slightly to give yourself some more space between the tubes on the frame bracket and the tail plate on the yoke.

-
Thanks Sean, thats what I was thinking. Right now there may be 1/8" of clearance on the forward side.
Old 12-04-2009, 03:00 PM   #173
4 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
More adjustments

Ok, so today i adjusted the stinger so it was more level, vice pointing down slightly. I bought another 5/8 x 4" bolt, another nut, and three lockwashers. I just feel better with lockwashers on the 4.5" bolts, and it makes it so I don't have to use a deepwell socket to tighten them. I'm happy with the stinger now, though as you will see below, I may have to drop it to the full 8".

Bolts, nuts, and washers

Level stinger

Then I moved the spring bar link to the third hole from the top, which based on the angle of the spring bars, I think I should probably move it back?

Finally, I moved the frame bracket back about an inch, and cycled the jacks. It can now move without the front of the yoke bottoming out on the frame bracket.

I went to my local scale today at the truck stop to see about getting everything weighed, but they said they could only give a gross weight, on a truck my size, not individual axle weights? Where do you folks go to get weighed?

I did do the measurement thing. Unloaded the truck is about an inch or two higher in the rear. After hitching up, I got the front back to where it was prior to unhitching (24.75", axle centerline to top of fender), but I still think the rear could stand to come up about another inch. Its pretty close to level, but it still looks like its squatting a bit in the rear. However, the trailer appears to be perfectly level, maybe even a smidge high in the front. This makes me thing I need to drop the stinger to the full 8". What do you folks think?

Old 12-04-2009, 03:23 PM   #174
_

. , .
looks good now...

don't be concerned about the w/d bars NOT being parallel with the A frame after tensioning.

for MANY of us with significant tongue mass, they will be UP sloping and bowed like your pics...

i assume these are 800 lbs bars?

for axle weights i use truck stops with cat scales, there are 2 threads on this...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f238...-in-17984.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f238...nts-53304.html

the trailer look pretty level NOW,

place a magnetic bubble level on the A frame n check it (see the tiny orange thing in post 21 pics) next time u adjust...

since you are headed to j/c they have the capability to weight/check EACH contact point (tire) and each axle,

but they will charge HOURLY labor rate to do this and NOT with your TV hooked up.

find a truck stop with cat scales (google locations) first pass is 7-9$ and remeasures are 1$ each.

1 other issue, NOT pp related is the truck tires.

given the extra load from the trayla, it's a good idea to check air pressure and adjust UP accordingly.

IF the tires are E rated, 70-75 psi is a good base for towing (i run 75-80 psi)

i like the 4 bolt idea and might add another on the next trip.

cheers
2air'

Old 12-04-2009, 03:28 PM   #175
Commercial Member

Holly , MI
Quote:
looks good now...

i like the 4 bolt idea and might add another on the next trip.

cheers
2air'

I agree. Looks GOOD!

4 bolts will work fine but you won't get any hitch bar tilt with 4 bolts. The hole is the actual pivot hole that works with the slotted holes for the tilt feature. The top HOLES won't line up with the bar tilted. If you don't need any tilt then the 4 bolts will work.
Tu ne cede malis
Old 12-04-2009, 03:43 PM   #176
_

. , .
ok, good info sean.

that also means removing the rivet (the 4 holes don't line up with the rivet inside)...

and i wanna see how it (the rivet) holds up to compression and towing several 1000s of miles before fiddling with it.

plus a stinger with a rivet is just cool (in an airstream way...)

thanks
2air'

Old 12-04-2009, 03:53 PM   #177
4 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Oh contrair (sp?), the rivet does fit with 4 bolts in. I have mine in the bottom hole. No washers of course.

Do you guys think I should go to the full 8" drop on the stinger?

That scale I visited today was a CAT scale, with at leass three separate weigh tables on it. That dude I spoke with probably just didn't know his butt from a hole in the ground. I may go back this evening and try to find someone who has a clue.
Old 12-04-2009, 04:01 PM   #178
_

. , .
Quote:
Oh contrair (sp?), the rivet does fit with 4 bolts in. I have mine in the bottom hole. No washers of course.

Do you guys think I should go to the full 8" drop on the stinger?...
ok good info!

it makes sense that the bottom hole will work, but the rivet won't be under any compression with the w/d bars flexed.

yes i think the full drop is gonna be your final stinger position but ....

the air bags add another variable and i don't wanna compete with your calibrated eyes (i've only got 1 eye)

3 platforms+cat scale= good to go! (hopefully another scale master will be working)

cheers
2air'

Old 12-04-2009, 04:01 PM   #179
4 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
i assume these are 800 lbs bars?

cheers
2air'
They are 1000 lb bars
Old 12-04-2009, 04:06 PM   #180
_

. , .
Quote:
They are 1000 lb bars
that was a wise choice, good thinking!

cheers
2air'