Old 07-05-2015, 02:46 PM   #1177
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
I am planning on a trip to Colonial to have mine taken off, inspected, cleaned and reinstalled with 1400# bars (not the 1000# I irdered against Sean's recommendation). I'm not convinced it was installed correctly when I purchased it and Colonial has experience with them. I realize everyone says you can do this yourself in a couple hours. Truth be told - I doubt I have 2 hours combined lifetime in things mechanical. I'm hoping to watch/photo/video if they'll let me and learn as much as I can.

Old 07-05-2015, 03:53 PM   #1178
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Sean is right about the larger w.d. bars. He also recommended and sent 1400# bars for our 25' Airstream/Ram 1500.

I believe this has been covered here (somewhere) but it's because the bars are farther back from the receiver than the usual w.d. hitch. The resulting ride is smooth, still a nice flex in the bars when w.d. applied.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 04:03 PM   #1179
Rivet Master

2015 27' FB International
Carlsbad , California
We too have the 1400# bars between the 27FB and 3/4 ton.
While I cannot compare it to anything else, there are no issues.
I did not install mine either. We had the dealer do it. For me, the downside is not knowing how it all went together. I'm thinking about sleeping on the manual a few times to see if I can digest it.....
Old 07-05-2015, 08:01 PM   #1180
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
I installed mine. Sean sent two " steel filler plates to fill the gap on the "U" channels sitting on top of the box frame rails. Took some time, but I had to modify the rub rails to fit around the propane tank cover.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 08:24 PM   #1181
4 Rivet Member

2015 27' FB International
Howard , Ohio
Noisy PP

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
Just before hooking up the trailer I give the stinger and box on the hitch head a shot of CorrosionX. Helps it slide into the hitch easier and also easier to disengage. And it prevents corrosion on the assembly.

As for the noise in turns, I've only heard that once when I did not raise the trailer tongue jack high enough to clear the weight distribution bars. The bottom of the jack rubbed the top of the w.d. bars when making turns. Easy to recognize the problem, the paint was scratched off the bars where it rubbed.
Thanks. Having thought about it some more, I thought maybe the stinger was not quite snug in the head so I wound the silver over center "lugs" 180 deg to ensure it was good and tight. That was a bad idea...it was definitely tight - I had 20 minutes getting it out at the next stop ! Some lube here is probably in order. I may lightly sand the rough paint areas also to ease things up.

So the stinger was not the problem but I think I have narrowed down the "groaning" to the jacks. Although they are clamped rock solid to the A frame, there still seems to be some noise from the tubes. Quite a bit of rust and worn paint here. It was annoying me so much that I stopped at a Krogers on my way home from camping this weekend and picked up some WD40 and vaseline (from the baby care isle ). I removed tension from the jacks and slapped some vaseline on the strap contact points where they hook onto the jack tubes and shot some WD40 up the tubes. This seemed to help greatly. Still a bit of noisy but 80% better. I have now greased the jack sleeves liberally and will drive next weekend to see if that resolves it completely. I think regular shots of Corrosion X or similar on the jack tubes would have prevented this issue.

Assuming the grease quietens things down I'll wipe off the grease and just give it a shot of something regularly. The grease looks pretty messy and I can just see me (or worse still the wife) getting covered in grease leaning into the front storage area.....
Porsche Cayenne Diesel
Ohiobrits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 08:36 PM   #1182
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
I am planning on a trip to Colonial to have mine taken off, inspected, cleaned and reinstalled with 1400# bars (not the 1000# I irdered against Sean's recommendation). I'm not convinced it was installed correctly when I purchased it and Colonial has experience with them. I realize everyone says you can do this yourself in a couple hours. Truth be told - I doubt I have 2 hours combined lifetime in things mechanical. I'm hoping to watch/photo/video if they'll let me and learn as much as I can.

Not quoting myself for egotistical purposes 😃

Ok, so the appt is set with Colonial and the 1400# bars are on order (Sean will drop ship them there and they'll be waiting for us).

Not sure if Colonial has scales or if there's a CAT scale nearby (will search for that) but it dawns on me that having the new bars will require a rethink on how high I lift the WD jacks (or am I wrong on that?). If I don't have scale access right away, what suggestions do folks have?

In a little challenged on the fender measurement option because frankly, the front fender is almost the same exact height whether or not the trailer is attached (I'm serious - I measured it).

My concern would be - today, I dial up 6" on the 1000# jacks and on the scales, that's what restores 50% to the front axle. If I do that with the 1400# bars installed I'm assuming that will put a LOT more weight on the front axle. The ride has been very good at the GM suggested 50% FALR for my setup. Absent the scales I'm not sure how to guess at that...welcome your thoughts PP people! Thanks!
Old 07-06-2015, 08:50 PM   #1183
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
What is the TW?

CAT Scale has a locator app and web page.

1) Go for equal squat from TV front/rear fender measurements; and then

2) 100% FALR.

3) TV alone

Record the numbers and the jack markings for each.

If you're serious, get the wheel loads. That's what matters in the end. TT tires at full sidewall pressure (preserving 12-15% load reserve on any tire), and looking to find the range for the TV.

Ck the TV tires after one hour steady state down the road. 5-7% pressure rise is okay. 10% would be high, so add 5-psi. Recheck that number set the following morning. Being closer on TV tire pressure than just running at max makes for more effective grip.

50% FALR has been effectively rebutted. Hitch Hints, in RV Lifestyle, November 2014.

Do your own testing with the different settings. If TV tire pressure changes are needed, note them.

The game is to know the RANGE of adjustments. Given the same two vehicles it is unlikely to change much over time. As ROBERT CROSS reminds us, a first of the season weight check means good to go from then on.
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 09:01 PM   #1184
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
Not quoting myself for egotistical purposes ��

Ok, so the appt is set with Colonial and the 1400# bars are on order (Sean will drop ship them there and they'll be waiting for us). ...........(redacted) more weight on the front axle. The ride has been very good at the GM suggested 50% FALR for my setup. Absent the scales I'm not sure how to guess at that...welcome your thoughts PP people! Thanks!
1400# bars from Sean... original..
The 'ideal' is the actual 'weight' transfer to the TV....
Scales are the only way to know for certain. Depending upon the springs on your front axles, you may not see the 'change' in height... maybe it will require driving then checking after returning to the exact spot.

For me, the 'measurement' got me 'in the ball park'... however, once I got to the scales, I found I only needed 5" cranked in... and the 'weight' transfer was 'balanced'... man.. did that make a difference in towing!!!

Next, I put bigger tires on the TV.. that meant 'tweaking' the setup again... with things properly set, I get the same 'TEMPERATURE' and air pressure on all tires on all 3 Axles using the TST system!... If I crank in another 1" on the bars, the temp RISES on the rear axle tires and drops on the FRONT tires!! So, with too much "crankd' in I know there is a problem..

Now, I only have pressure sensors on the TV tires... they don't seem to be as 'affected'... So, that means, to me, the PP is set properly and distributing the load properly front to rear of the TV..

Note... the PP 'bars' work in both directions.... because of the solid bar connecting the WD bars to the 'adjuster'....when the bow of the AS rises far enough, the WD bar can push 'down', thereby restricting the 'porpoising'... I have had times that there was some 'oscillation/porpoising'... but very rare. I had a LOT more lift/bounce when running the 'EZ Lift' WD and sway control the AS had since new.. but, the WD bar holes in the EZ head were worn out and I had to replace the hitch..

Hope this confuses you as much as it does me..

But just read SLOMOVER's post above.. easy peasy..
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 09:02 PM   #1185
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Hey Slow - TW=~1080# (according to Ron G's estimate based on first scale tickets in 2013 - same in 2014 and 2015 - fully agree with Bob Cross' recommendation there).

CAT locator shows scales more than an hour in the "wrong" direction from where I'm going - but I may do it - depends on how things are going - won't be alone. Might just try fender process and go to the scales I use closer to home at the end of the trip. Really would love to weigh each tire separately....

TPMS on the TT consistently shows rise of about 10% in pressure and 20-30 degrees above ambient (tire guys in the threads agree that's an acceptable range). TPMS in TV shows only pressure. It doesn't rise above 10% of cold PSI either (on both front and rear axles).
Old 07-06-2015, 09:10 PM   #1186
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
thanks CWF. I had a similar situation where 7" on the jacks moved more weight to the front axle (above the 50% recommended by GM that Slowmover says has been discredited...) and it porpoised a lot. At 6" (and 50% FALR), 90% of the proposing was gone.

I've been to the scales each year I've had it - it's really the only way to know for sure. Got a lot of help from Slowmover, Robert Cross and Ron G that first year and multiple sets of tickets. They've all been very close year to year. I'm just assuming they'll change with different WD bars. I could be wrong - but why have different weights on them if they don't do different things? 😳
Old 07-06-2015, 09:15 PM   #1187
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
The 1400 bars will change things.... and adjustments will be more noticeable.. Follow the tips of Slowmover, Robert and Ron.. all will soon be 'right' again..
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 05:29 AM   #1188
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Read Andys article. Experiment, as Channing notes.
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 05:38 AM   #1189
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Haven't found the article in google search yet...using 50% FALR as search criteria.

All due respect - I'm more inclined to follow manufacturer's recommendations but I'd be interested in reading the article.
Old 07-07-2015, 10:38 AM   #1190
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Lauren at Colonial said scales were about 26 miles away towards the NorthWest.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote