Old 06-23-2015, 09:48 PM   #1149
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
After backing into a site, always pull ahead about a foot or so to take any side tensions off the stinger/head connection and straighten things up. Also if you have a little forward pulling tension on the connection it may help it pop loose when the right height is reached.

When hitching up, back up and set the height of the stinger about 1/4" higher than the box opening. This accounts for gravity pulling the head down, it will lift the head a bit and slide in more easily. I also give the box opening a shot of CorrosionX (because it's handy), this lubricates the assembly. You also can make it slide in easier if you file off the sharp edges on the back of the stinger, just enough so the edges are not sharp.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 10:26 PM   #1150
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Erie , Colorado
Pharm consider getting a pair of X-checks or in the past rotochocks. After I get up on the Andersens (I try to pull forward onto them) I set the parking brake on the truck and go into park. Put the small chock under the Andersens and then X-chock both sets of tires on each side.

Go back to the truck , release the parking brake and go to neutral to relieve any tension. Then do my unhitching.

Seems to work well on a consistent basis.

ProPride
NØVPN
ghaynes755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 10:26 PM   #1151
4 Rivet Member

2015 27' FB International
Carlsbad , California
I also try to hit the brake controller and pull everything straight to ensure I can get the WD bars straight and centered
Old 06-24-2015, 04:38 PM   #1152
2 Rivet Member

Redmond , Washington
So the left OCL latch in my hitch always pushes out, almost on top of the pin. I wonder if this is normal? The right one never does it. This happens just by moving the trailer jack up and down. And it looks like this every time I stop to unhitch.

Has anybody else seen this? It doesn't seem to affect the performance of the hitch.

Old 06-24-2015, 10:14 PM   #1153
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghaynes755 View Post
Pharm consider getting a pair of X-checks or in the past rotochocks. After I get up on the Andersens (I try to pull forward onto them) I set the parking brake on the truck and go into park. Put the small chock under the Andersens and then X-chock both sets of tires on each side.

Go back to the truck , release the parking brake and go to neutral to relieve any tension. Then do my unhitching.

Seems to work well on a consistent basis.

This crossed my mind as well - thanks for the input!!

I kinda hoped that simply chocking off then going into neutral without rotochocks type would be well enough - I'll experiment and try - but I suspect the rotochocks would help....

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

PharmGeek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 06:35 AM   #1154
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Hays County , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by chracatoa View Post
So the left OCL latch in my hitch always pushes out, almost on top of the pin. I wonder if this is normal? The right one never does it. This happens just by moving the trailer jack up and down. And it looks like this every time I stop to unhitch.

Has anybody else seen this? It doesn't seem to affect the performance of the hitch.

I don't know about a Hensley, but I had the same problem on my ProPride. I found that the OCL bars were hitting the hitch casting before they could go far enough over center. A touch on the arms with a grinder fixed it for me. A file and some elbow grease would do the same. I just took about 1/8" off the arm where it was hitting the casting. Like you, I only had the problem on one side.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 06:38 AM   #1155
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Mine does the same thin for the same reason. Not concerned about it and wouldn't want to remove any material from the arms. If material removal was required, I would remove front the box opening reinforcement.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 06:44 AM   #1156
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Quote:

Chrac......
Do NOT tow with your PP adjusted like that!! You need to increase latching force on the left one (street/driver side)..

It is possible there is not enough "engagement force" on that side. The objective is "over center" engagement of the toggles. To achieve, you would need to "turn" the toggle latch bolt "out"..counterclockwise like a standard bolt.

On my PP, when engaged by hand, the "stinger" has NO movement left and right that I can see. If yours is not "engaging" the tapered edges snugly, call Sean immediately! Please! He is best source to fix this!
cwf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 07:09 AM   #1157
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Hays County , Texas
Sean said that there is enough strength in the arms that one arm is sufficient strength to tow. Taking maybe 1/8" off the inside of an arm will remove trivial strength. I would rather take the material off there for convenience.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 08:54 AM   #1158
2 Rivet Member

Redmond , Washington
Cwf and others,

The OCL is centered when I latch it. But it seems to be loose. I'll check with Sean just in case though, as I said, it doesn't seem to have affected the performance of the hitch.
Old 06-25-2015, 09:17 AM   #1159
2 Rivet Member

Redmond , Washington
Okay, Sean said if it's latching it's okay. So nothing to see here.
Old 06-25-2015, 01:03 PM   #1160
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
To change the subject:

Why does it look like there is a big crack in the metal in the middle of this picture?

Ken
Old 06-25-2015, 01:18 PM   #1161
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:

I'm not sure what's happening in this picture. Are you saying the left (circled) OCL is jumping over the locking pin to its left? If so, you may want to tighten the "silver doohickey" at the end of the OCL by turning it - by "tighten", I mean, you shouldn't be able to connect the OCL by hand. You want it tight enough in the notch that it takes the force of the OCL wrench to snap the unit in to place. Then the locking pins are just extra security.

In the top center of your pic - is that grease or a crack? 😳

If a crack - I wouldn't drive it. Call Sean or send him a text with a very crisp photo of that. If it's a crack, that may be related (cause or effect) to the OCL not being latched.

Good luck and be safe!!
Old 06-25-2015, 02:25 PM   #1162
2 Rivet Member

Redmond , Washington
It's not a crack! It's just an optical illusion.