Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Hitches, Couplers & Balls
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-24-2017, 07:24 PM   #1521
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
So you are saying that the Propride stinger is moving 1/4" in your receiver? That sounds like a very poor fit. Are you using an adapter to go from a 2" stinger to a 2-1/2" receiver?

Either way, you could go to a welding shop and have them shim up your stinger with some sheet steel. Or maybe your receiver needs to be replaced.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 07:32 PM   #1522
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by bapp1236 View Post
Update: The PP is less than a year old with only about 2000 miles of towing. A friend and myself took the PP off of my trailer and installed it on his. He has a 2017 Keystone Bullet that is 35.5 feet long and about the same weight. It exhibited the exact same behavior. It has to be the hitch because it was on a different trailer and TV. I even talked to my local Airstream tech who has set up several of these hitches and he said he has seen this before from PP and could never get it dialed in just right on some. The first thing he asked was what speed does it occur? It usually occurs above 70 mph. He said that speed was too fast for a travel trailer. I would always pull my fifth wheel at traffic speed so that is usually about 75-80 on the interstate with no problems. I guess i'm hitting the limitations of a travel trailer set up. I like my trailer, but I don't want to be the old grandpa holding everyone up on the interstate. I should have known because when i was a truck driver I always dreaded coming up on a lumbering travel trailer going 60 while everyone else is going 80. It made for a dangerous situation in a truck by having to go around or stop suddenly.

Did the other trailer have 1/4" slop in the receiver? Again - is your receiver a 2" or a 2.5"? The other trailer - same question?

I wouldn't recommend the speed you're seeking with any combo...

Have you called Sean at ProPride?
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 07:55 PM   #1523
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
1/4" 'slop' in a hitch receiver is really excessive!

I don't get anything like that with either of my Toyota Tacomas. Like it was said, time to find the slack, and eliminate most of it. Just need enough to slide the stinger onto the receiver.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 09:58 PM   #1524
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
I want to believe this ProPride "wiggle" story, try to help but it has too many holes in it to hold water. And the patches are not convincing. Have you contacted ProPride owner Sean (yes, he's an engineer) for help? Do you actually have a ProPride?

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 03:42 AM   #1525
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Lexington , Kentucky
I do appreciate everyones responses. As described in a previous post, the 1/4 slop was 19" from the hitch pin at the end of the stinger, which In order to measure an angle , a circular arc centered at the vertex of the angle is drawn. The length of the arc is then
defined is independent of the size of the circle: if the length of the radius is changed then the arc length changes in the same proportion, so the ratio is unaltered (see image below).

This slop was eliminated by welding a grade 8 set screw on the side and using a 5/8 grade 8 bolt tightened up instead of a hitch pin. I have contacted Sean and he says everything looks fine. I've changed TV and even installed the hitch on a different trailer of a similar size and weight. Talked to a local tech who has installed several of these hitches who has seen this happen before and was unable to correct the problem. There are plenty of posts on different forums that describe the same condition.

As for the hole in my story, it is in my wallet after approaching a year of throwing good money after bad. I ask everyone to read all my previous posts for context. I seldom post to forums because some people get offended if someone goes against the party line with these hitches.

I only posted here to see if anyone has been able to solve this well documented problem with the propride hitch, which no one seems to be able do. It may be you guys may be lucky with your hitches. Either way, thanks for your input. As for me, I'm going to take some of the advice give here and trade the money pit Airstrem in for something I'm familiar with. Im going this weekend to look at a 45' Newmar Diesel Pusher. Thanks again and good luck.
Attached Images

bapp1236 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 05:08 AM   #1526
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
I just don't understand. 19" from the hitch pin on the stinger? Is he referring to the pin that holds the stinger in the receiver? 19" forward is under the truck, forward of the receiver, 19" back is the very end of the stinger inside the hitch. How can there be any slop in either of those locations?
Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 07:11 AM   #1527
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsbrodsky View Post
I just don't understand. 19" from the hitch pin on the stinger? Is he referring to the pin that holds the stinger in the receiver? 19" forward is under the truck, forward of the receiver, 19" back is the very end of the stinger inside the hitch. How can there be any slop in either of those locations?

Larry

I don't understand either. "What we have here is a failure to communicate." [emoji15]

Pictures, video - something else would help. There is definitely something wrong somewhere - could be a manufacturing error, could be an installation error, could be the factory receiver in the 150, could be a loading problem, could be bad running gear - could be any number of things - but the description provided isn't at all making sense to me....1/4" slop at 19"?

Ignoring the "I want to drive 80 mph" piece (can't tell if the "wiggle" happens only above 70 or not...), I don't buy the victimhood notion that he can't discuss this without getting flamed. There's a ton of responses here of people trying to help him more effectively describe what's going on and he's not taking anyone up on that. Apparently decided to pursue another option and while I wish him luck, I'd really like to know exactly what is going on with this....

Oh well - back to camping [emoji3]
Old 08-25-2017, 08:33 AM   #1528
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
If I'm understanding correctly, OP's math doesn't take into account the way the Propride works. He assumes that 1/4" of lateral movement at the point where the stinger engages the hitch results in an arc at a radius of the distance to the rear of the trailer. I'm not smart enough to figure out the motion at the back of the trailer with the Propride hitch, but I suspect it is not a simple arc.

Al
Old 08-25-2017, 09:14 AM   #1529
2 Rivet Member

Redmond , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsbrodsky View Post
I just don't understand. 19" from the hitch pin on the stinger?
Larry
The picture below is my best guess. Note: not to scale. I didn't have the PP dimensions on hand and the 19" vs. 1/4" proportion is also wrong because I'm lazy. This is just to give us an idea of what he's talking about.

chracatoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 10:08 AM   #1530
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by chracatoa View Post
The picture below is my best guess. Note: not to scale. I didn't have the PP dimensions on hand and the 19" vs. 1/4" proportion is also wrong because I'm lazy. This is just to give us an idea of what he's talking about.

Thanks. Even if not drawn to scale - this pic suggests to me that he's seeing 1/4" slop in the head of the hitch. That box on the hitch head can in no way have that much slop unless his stinger is mismanufactured and is 1/8" thin on both sides - again - pics from him would be helpful - is the stinger tapered at the end? Did he grind it because it was a tight fit at first? Did he show pics of that to Sean for a read?

Why am I asking so many questions? [emoji23]
Old 08-25-2017, 11:09 PM   #1531
ObviouslyKnot

Currently Looking...
KAILUA , HI
I have never heard of this well documented problem of wiggle or any hype that the PP will be as sold as a fifth wheel hitch. I noticed there were never any pictures or answer to the WD bar rating, and no link to a phone app remote controlled jack power head. I think his college geometry book would better serve as a jack foot pad.

I'm beginning to think he was a bored Haha salesman with a good imagination. Too much time from lack of business.

Anybody else get periodic minor wiggles from their TT at speeds 》70 mph? No surprise there to me. 39 posts for him to sign off and go buy a different rig. I did enjoy all the drawings and ciphering of his wiggle.
Old 08-26-2017, 06:18 AM   #1532
Rivet Master

2002 25' Safari
Fountain Inn , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by james.mileur View Post
I have never heard of this well documented problem of wiggle or any hype that the PP will be as sold as a fifth wheel hitch. I noticed there were never any pictures or answer to the WD bar rating, and no link to a phone app remote controlled jack power head. I think his college geometry book would better serve as a jack foot pad.

I'm beginning to think he was a bored Haha salesman with a good imagination. Too much time from lack of business.

Anybody else get periodic minor wiggles from their TT at speeds 》70 mph? No surprise there to me. 39 posts for him to sign off and go buy a different rig. I did enjoy all the drawings and ciphering of his wiggle.
I agree. I found it unusual to complain about the cost of a PP hitch and the money pit Airstream to then jump to buy a 45' Newmar diesel pusher. Now he is getting serious about a money pit.
Old 08-26-2017, 06:36 AM   #1533
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Green Cove Springs , Florida
No wiggle here. My rig tows almost like it is one solid piece of equipment. I agree with Ridgerunner3...wait until he has to put $5000 worth of tires on the Newmar or have the Diesel engine serviced or fill up with fuel after getting 5 to 7 mpg. That stuff will really leave a hole in your pocket!
Old 08-26-2017, 07:34 AM   #1534
2 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Zionsville , Indiana
I just hope he doesn't push the 45' Newmar down the road at 80 mph. The "experience" doesn't match the behavior. Towing anything with any rig at 80 mph is irresponsible. When something goes wrong, physics beats "experience" and luck every time.
DRPREECE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 08:14 AM   #1535
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
Since this is the PPP thread, I will say that I would not think that installing a ProPride gives anyone a reason to tow at 70+ mph. I am not sure that anything being towed is safe at that kind of speed. This thread taught me a wealth of good information about my hitch and I tried to contribute some of my own experiences. Except for ball-hitch boat trailers, I have not used any other kind of hitch. I love the ProPride, the stability it has provided for me, and I would not condone thinking that it enables excessive towing speeds.

Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 09:29 AM   #1536
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
We were in our usual cruise control 65 mph west of Flagstaff and came upon a cluster of semi's moving slower up a grade, so we began to pass as we crested the hill. My mistake. Of course they picked up speed, alongside of us and two behind (closely) so I eased it up to 80 mph to get out of the mess. We did, glad we had the ProPride/Airstream in tow as it was a completely unremarkable event. No movement, everything moved along smoothly as at 65 mph.

I would not advise it, but this is the sort of thing that made us feel safe with our projected pivot point hitch at our normal towing speed, and that we can remain in control when the unusual event happens.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 10:25 AM   #1537
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Smile

Passing on upslope, huh? Twenty-five over theirs?

Given the meets-the-legal-definition of moron from non-civilized countries now behind the wheel of American big trucks -- thus no appreciation of spacing by said big truck steering wheel holders -- count on them to fail upslope and downslope.

Watched one yesterday exit upslope IH35N to IH20E in Dallas and lay it over on the bridge guardrail. Sliced the roof open and tractor sorta hanging mid air 30' above ground. Like a kid sliding a stairway bannister. Damned lucky that flimsy truck/trailer structure held him there.

Yeah, I can run 75/mph+. I'll shoot at 90 if I have to. But not really the point.

Early pit stop, Doug? I get comeuppances daily. And I've been at big truck accidents where no one realized there was a car under all that till the wreckers were separating the thing.

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 12:49 PM   #1538
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
Made a (D'Oh - Obvious) Discovery While Tuning

I was trying to check the adjustment on my hitch after dropping the stinger a hole to level the trailer and made a discovery. I started with 6" lift on the jacks. After 7" there was no change in the truck height at the front or rear for 8" or 9" of jack height. My best guess is that the coupler is locking up on the ball or the yoke is bottoming out, or both, due to improper angle on the stinger. A rainstorm ran me in but when I get a chance I will add a couple of washers. When unloaded my stinger is angling up from the truck. When loaded it is, at best level. I think I remember it should be level or pointing down, but I don't know whether that is loaded or unloaded. Now I know why the TT was porpoising so much on the way to/from the eclipse rally. I should not have made height changes without properly setting up the hitch, but I was trying to get home. Lesson learned.....

Al
Old 08-27-2017, 03:27 PM   #1539
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
I dunno. All I do know is that I don't get any "wiggles" in my rig, even when I got on it a little too hard running across Texas a while back.

Hit 85 mph briefly before backing down to the speed l normal tow at-65 or well below.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 08:37 AM   #1540
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
WD jack adjustment height

Most describe the adjustment of the WD jacks by measuring from the top of the frame to the bottom of the outside tube. While this is useful for resetting the jacks to the same position every time, the height depends on the hole used to hook the strap to the jack, number of washers, and general setup of the TV and TT. I'm having to raise my jacks pretty high to effect any significant weight distribution, but the first inch or more the jack isn't doing anything.

Could someone please tell me how much higher their jacks are raised after the bar becomes tight and the lift actually starts doing something. At the point I am now, an inch on the jacks is only lowering the front wheel well about 1/16".

Due to the conditions of my driveway, the hitch head is not centered and I suspect this is affecting my adjustment process, but I'd like to know how much "working" lift others are having to apply to restore half or more of the front axle weight.

Thanks,

Al