Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Hitches, Couplers & Balls
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-15-2017, 06:34 PM   #1481
Rivet Master

South East , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by james.mileur View Post
Spraying the stinger with WD40 prior to coupling the other day made a big difference for my day trip to the AS dealer. Also helps me a little to empathize with greasy wd bars for all those other hitches, except the WD40 is so not as much trouble. Will watch the videos.
I use the WD-40 Dirt & Dust Resistant Dry Lube PTFE Spray. I suppose that any of the PTFE spray lubes would work just as well. No need to empathize about greasy WD bars and balls...
Old 06-06-2017, 08:47 PM   #1482
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Hey - just want to say thanks y'all - I struggled for a minute trying to eyeball the height to unhitch - after being frustrated and frustrated balky getting it - I lined it all back up perfect - measured (18 inches to the top of the receiver) and next time I did it (had to moves sites yesterday annoyingly) it worked PERFECT! Measured it - unhooked the two latches - and it just popped right out!!

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 08:20 AM   #1483
ObviouslyKnot

Currently Looking...
KAILUA , HI
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
Larry - sounds like there's more than one solution! The "lifting coupler" approach has never failed me. I've never tried it your way and might just to see if I get the same answer with both methods.
Tried it for the first time the other day instead of wagging the Rock Tamers to check for slack; worked ma-vel-ous. Thanks. Always great to learn something new.
Old 06-12-2017, 10:32 AM   #1484
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
Carlsbad , California
2^ lifting coupler. You can also feel it in the dark. I wise person on the forums told me so.....
DoublTrouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 10:33 AM   #1485
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
Carlsbad , California
no not me . a wise person.
DoublTrouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 01:28 PM   #1486
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
As yet another follow up - i noticed when I got home and unhitched on Friday night that my height of 18 inches had changed - probably because the spot I unhitch is funky compared to perfectly flat for the TV and TT and I ended up at like 16 inches vs 18 inches

At home - the AS sits on the parking pad level and the truck sets pointing slightly downhill and mildly off camber

As such - I had to go again on watching the coupler closely and that worked fine

So I guess the measurement in 98% of the time may work out. It if off camber and such it may vary some...

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 09:04 PM   #1487
Rivet Master

South East , Michigan
What is working for me and my not so perfect eye sight is, I put a finger next to the coupler as I raise the tongue jack. I can feel that small movement as they separate pretty easy.
Old 07-03-2017, 04:56 PM   #1488
4 Rivet Member

2015 27' FB International
Howard , Ohio
Anyone tried these with a ProPride or other hitch? Sean is selling these on his website. I would think these would be ideal for Airstreams with a front storage locker where the jacks limits opening angle of the door.

https://www.propridehitch.com/lipper...echnology-kit/
Ohiobrits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 05:13 PM   #1489
3 Rivet Member

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Goode , Virginia
I asked Sean about using them and he didn't recommend them for Airstreams. If I recall correctly, it is because of the Airstream's square tubing chassis made mounting them to the A-frame securely an issue.
SMLJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 06:18 PM   #1490
ProPride Industries, Inc.
Commercial Member

Holly , MI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiobrits View Post
Anyone tried these with a ProPride or other hitch? Sean is selling these on his website. I would think these would be ideal for Airstreams with a front storage locker where the jacks limits opening angle of the door.

https://www.propridehitch.com/lipper...echnology-kit/
I do have customers using them with the 3P when there is clearance issues with the jacks.

The only problem is the straps do not hold the angle of the hitch head when unhitched because there is no downward force on the end the spring bar.

I do have an idea to use a scissor jack with a plate on top under the head to hold it and adjust the angle but I haven't designed that part yet.

Tu ne cede malis
Sean Woodruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 08:44 AM   #1491
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Lexington , Kentucky
Has anyone else had trouble with PP still having a small wiggle even after it is dialed in correctly and being weighed on cat scales and changing to E rated tires?
bapp1236 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 09:12 AM   #1492
ObviouslyKnot

Currently Looking...
KAILUA , HI
Where's the wiggle?
Old 08-17-2017, 10:00 AM   #1493
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Lexington , Kentucky
its a small bit of sway at the end of the trailer which makes the entire unit feel squirrely at times. at other times it handles perfectly. I've checked all the hitch bolts and remeasured every thing and weighed the rig loaded twice. the trailer is 35' and weighs approximately 8000 # loaded with 1050 tongue weight. The axels are straight and the truck is new.
Old 08-17-2017, 10:04 AM   #1494
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Lexington , Kentucky
Also, the front axel is within 60 lbs of the unloaded weight and within 1/4 inch unloaded height. the rear is 1/2 inch lower than unloaded height and the trailer sets perfectly level. Ive also tried different heights on the WD jacks with no difference.
Old 08-21-2017, 03:52 PM   #1495
2 Rivet Member

Redmond , Washington
Is the yoke centered? You should check it every time. Maybe mark it with markers so you know if it moved.

Some roads that are not completely flat will cause weird movement. But that's normal.

Strong winds will move your rig around, but it's not sway. Sway is when the front part of your TV moves to one side and the back moves to the other side. I had a lot of those with my previous dual cam hitch, and it happened even when traffic passed me on the highway.

Is the wiggle sway for you?
chracatoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 05:45 PM   #1496
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
And the head yoke to crossbar under the A-frame bracket joint, for want of a better word, has to have the bolt 'just tight enough' so that there is a very little slack in the connection between the end of the yoke and the crossbar. In Sean's pictures that joint is right under the center of the propane tanks and should be dead center of the a-frame.

It needs to be able to move a little, but too much slop will make it feel like there is a little wander and it will make clunk noises. Too tight, it squeaks.. It bears checking occasionally, and probably a bit of lube like grease to reduce wear. Review the install instructions for the yoke if this makes no sense...
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 06:54 AM   #1497
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Lexington , Kentucky
Disappointed in Propride

Yes the yoke is centered. when i installed the yoke I put some 1/4" self tapping screws through the bar into the frame where the U bolts are so it couldn't shift but could sheer the screws it it were to bind. also i used a feeler gauge to set the clearance where the yoke goes through the back with just enough to slide freely with about .0010 clearance.

I have drove fifth wheels and 18 wheelers and this is not even close to their stability. I did finally figure where most of the sway was coming from. It was the slack in the receiver and the shank. New truck and new shank. it had 1/4 of an inch side-to-side movement at 19 inches, which is the length of the singer from the hitch pin to the end of he stinger. When this amount of slop is multiplied out over my 35.5 foot trailer its 6 inches. I drilled a hole at the front of the receiver and welded a 1/2 inch grade 8 nut and bolt to take up the slack. the other thing i did was to replace the hitch pin with a 5/8 x 3.5 grade 8 bolt. I use the propride breaker bar to tighten the 5/8 bolt until the sides squeeze everything tight then I tighten up the 1/2 set screw. This took most of the wiggle out. I also went to the Cat Scales again and weighed the truck loaded and the truck and trailer with the WD dialed in the way i tow (see photos). The weight looks like it should to me, so my conclusion is that long travel trailer will never be as stable as a fifth wheel and most people would like the way mine pulls. Unfortunately, i have enough experience towing other types of set ups to compare, so i can see the short comings.

In my opinion the hitch does improve handling over a conventional hitch and WD; however , many who have invested in one of these hitches, of which I'm one, get caught up in the fact they have paid nearly $3,000 for it and overhype the benefits. I would love to be wrong, but this s what my experience tell me after 18 months of tinkering and adjusting countless numbers of times.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cat weight 1.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	300.1 KB
ID:	292944   Click image for larger version

Name:	cat weight 2.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	306.6 KB
ID:	292945  

Old 08-22-2017, 08:16 AM   #1498
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
bapp', your combo should be rock solid with this setup. It's hard to help troubleshoot another's rig over the internet, but a couple of things come to mind.

With your F150 and Airstream you should have ProPride 1400 lb w.d. bars.

You should have the maximum number of washers that will possibly fit under the rivet in the stinger to get enough downward tilt on the w.d. bars, effectively preloading the bars for lifting the trailer tongue and rear of the truck.

We've found returning the front axle short of it's unloaded weight is not enough on our half-ton trucks. A little more than unloaded weight puts plenty of steering control back in and probably transfers more hitch weight back to the trailer axles. The above-mentioned steps ensure it can be done.

Downward tilt of the w.d. bars after w.d. is applied also ensures the w.d. bars can maintain weight distribution when traveling across the uneven surfaces of the roadway.

Loading truck and trailer. Heavy equipment in the back of the truck's bed males w.d. more difficult and the truck less stable, put any heavy equipment forward in the bed. Heavy gear in/on the back of the trailer can lead to instability if other forces such as cross winds come into play, even though the hitch weight appears good.

The Hensley/ProPride design effectively puts the hitch pivot point near the rear axle like a fifth wheel or semi, and holds the trailer in a straight line behind the tow vehicle which a fifth wheel or semi does not do.

It should be better for you, "wiggle" indicates something isn't right. Keep posting, a photo may help. There are others here with better understanding than I who may be able to help get this sorted out.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 05:07 AM   #1499
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by bapp1236 View Post
Yes the yoke is centered. when i installed the yoke I put some 1/4" self tapping screws through the bar into the frame where the U bolts are so it couldn't shift but could sheer the screws it it were to bind. also i used a feeler gauge to set the clearance where the yoke goes through the back with just enough to slide freely with about .0010 clearance.

I have drove fifth wheels and 18 wheelers and this is not even close to their stability. I did finally figure where most of the sway was coming from. It was the slack in the receiver and the shank. New truck and new shank. it had 1/4 of an inch side-to-side movement at 19 inches, which is the length of the singer from the hitch pin to the end of he stinger. When this amount of slop is multiplied out over my 35.5 foot trailer its 6 inches. I drilled a hole at the front of the receiver and welded a 1/2 inch grade 8 nut and bolt to take up the slack. the other thing i did was to replace the hitch pin with a 5/8 x 3.5 grade 8 bolt. I use the propride breaker bar to tighten the 5/8 bolt until the sides squeeze everything tight then I tighten up the 1/2 set screw. This took most of the wiggle out. I also went to the Cat Scales again and weighed the truck loaded and the truck and trailer with the WD dialed in the way i tow (see photos). The weight looks like it should to me, so my conclusion is that long travel trailer will never be as stable as a fifth wheel and most people would like the way mine pulls. Unfortunately, i have enough experience towing other types of set ups to compare, so i can see the short comings.

In my opinion the hitch does improve handling over a conventional hitch and WD; however , many who have invested in one of these hitches, of which I'm one, get caught up in the fact they have paid nearly $3,000 for it and overhype the benefits. I would love to be wrong, but this s what my experience tell me after 18 months of tinkering and adjusting countless numbers of times.

1/4" slack side to side in the receiver? Do you have s 2.5" receiver and a 2" stinger?
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 07:31 AM   #1500
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Lexington , Kentucky
Thanks for the advice, but what you are suggesting was done when installed. in addition, all of the jacks, lights, ect run off of an app on my phone. I adapted power jack heads to the PP jacks as well so i can adjust them while traveling on the highway. I have added and more WD as well as subtracted and makes no difference. I believe I'm expecting too much from this set up. Also, i have a friend with a f350 duly and we hooked it up and it too made no difference. I fear i fell pray to the internet hype and 9/10s is all it will do.