Old 04-17-2014, 11:18 AM   #869
2 Rivet Member

Katy , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag&Au View Post
One thing that pops to mind:
When first attempting to hook up make sure there is no tension on the WD jacks. If you encounter the problems you mention then use a combination of the tongue jack and the WD jacks to get the hitch head at the correct vertical height and angle to allow the stinger to slide in easily. This may take a bit of patience and trial and error, but it will work.

Also remember that if the TV is backing at an angle to the hitch, then the hitch head must be offset to the opposite side to get it at the correct horizontal angle.

Ken
This is exactly the culprit. I thank you for the suggestion. I have been in the habit of taking the WD jacks down far enough to make the bars rather loose, but I guess when they're not totally bottomed out, there is just enough tension left on them to cause the hitch box to be articulated at a bad angle. To make matters worse, I think sometimes my jacks will be at different heights, so there will be a slight "twist" to the hitch box.

Yesterday, I bottomed out both jacks and was able to hook up and disconnect twice in record time. I really appreciate everyone who took the time to reply and give advice. What was so frustrating about my issue is that about 75% of the time, I had no problem. So, it was hard to pinpoint what I was doing wrong.

For the record, I LOVE how my PP pulls, so now I'm enthusiastic to hopefully have a hookup/disconnect that is equally satisfying.

Old 04-17-2014, 11:23 AM   #870
2 Rivet Member

Katy , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsbrodsky View Post
I do not want to seem condescending. Although the written manual may not be perfectly clear there are some very good YouTube videos that are perfect. I think those videos lead to foolproof hitching and unhitching. Add to that, Sean is willing to answer questions any time. It does not get much better than that.
Larry
I had an email waiting from Sean yesterday morning when I woke up. He is always great and very helpful.

Between him and you guys, I figured it out. Oh, and regarding the manual, I reference it every single time I hook up and unhook because frankly I can never remember the proper order. I need a mnemonic.

Old 04-17-2014, 01:00 PM   #871
2 Rivet Member

Katy , Texas
Interesting to me that so many people here seem to have an exact spot or measurement to which they raise their WD jacks every time. Should I be doing that? I always just raise mine until the bars are tight and have little to no give in them. I try to count turns to make sure they're relatively close to one another; that's about it, though.
Old 04-17-2014, 01:27 PM   #872
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Erie , Colorado
Zep you need to read through the Ron Gratz method. Take the rig to a CAT scale and do the weighing following his method. You will weigh multiple times, plug the data into a spreadsheet and you will be able to determine exactly what you need for the vertical adjustment of the jacks.

Here's the link to the list and process. http://www.airforums.com/forums/f464...ml#post1218011 It should take you to post 485.

And my spreadsheet.
Attached Files
File Type: xlsx Cat Calc Numbers Sample.xlsx (36.7 KB, 66 views)
ProPride
NŘVPN
ghaynes755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 02:04 PM   #873
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Hays County , Texas
Zep, I respectively disagree that most of the weighing and measuring is necessary. Once I had found a good jack setting that leveled everything, I no longer even count turns. I simply raise the jacks to about 6" plus or minus a bit and make sure that both jacks are at the same height. I have found that 1/2" or so either way makes no discernible difference in handling.

I used to work with an engineer that would measure with a ruler and then calculate everything to 3 decimal points. I see a lot of that here.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 02:27 PM   #874
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
Restoring everything to level is better than nothing at all, but it seems to me that ideally you want to know the weight on each truck axle before, after, and with proper wd. That is the whole point of going to the scales. I would think that provides the safest, long term towing setup. That is how I arrived at the position for my jacks and I marked it on the socket handle for ease and repeatability.
Larry
Old 04-17-2014, 05:37 PM   #875
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
I weighed it many times last year testing everything from 0" to 7" on the WD jacks and everything in between (including some 1/2" measurements). I found 6" to be best for me and used it the rest of the season. This year, just one trip to the scales last weekend - everything checks out favorably to last year's baseline so no more scales this year - just 6" on the jacks and away we go! I'll probably check every year. But just once. No need to go crazy over it.
Old 04-17-2014, 05:59 PM   #876
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
Fort Myers , Florida
ditto on ghaynes755 comment and I added some grease on my stinger and the inside of the tongue receiver.

I like the ideas mentioned for maintaining WD and jack position. I have been using the truck wheel wells as my guide- height before then loaded working toward close to a before height as possible.
Old 04-17-2014, 06:19 PM   #877
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeppelin View Post
Interesting to me that so many people here seem to have an exact spot or measurement to which they raise their WD jacks every time. Should I be doing that? I always just raise mine until the bars are tight and have little to no give in them. I try to count turns to make sure they're relatively close to one another; that's about it, though.

I raise the WD jacks with the crank that was furnished with the Airstream for lowering the stabilizers. Its crank design makes it very easy to count the turns. I start out with 42 full turns on the WD jacks. If the ride feels too stiff, I back off a couple turns. If there is too much bouncing, I tighten up a couple turns. It is amazing how there is such a definite sweet spot for a comfortable ride. I arrived at that number in the first place, by measuring the drop of the front and back of the trailer frame and the front and rear fenders of the truck. I have a lot of room in load capacity in both the trailer and truck so I am not inclined to go weigh it. It works fine and this method of adjusting has worked fine for me for over twenty years and many miles of towing with 3 different trailers and three different tow vehicles. If I had some suspicion that something was overloaded (I am positive that is not the case), I might then be inclined to weigh it. However for me at this point and with this equipment, I consider the weighing to be a waste of my time and money.

Ken
Old 04-17-2014, 07:18 PM   #878
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Classic
Ridgefield , Washington
To help with hitching, one can paint the stinger with bright orange paint a the flat face of the receiver as well, so you have a bull's eye, so to speak, and an "arrow" to insert…..makes the hitching less problematic.
Old 04-17-2014, 08:15 PM   #879
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
so I just hitched up this evening...brother was helping me...had it lined up...almost all the way in, but would not go in the last 1.5 inches or so....noticed the WD jacks were not totally loose...loosened them and then it all fell into place and latched together...that sounds definitely like the culprit....

My brother had never seen this hitch before and he pulls very large trailers of different types for his work....he was impressed

I have a 2010 2500 ram diesel....at 5.5 to 6.0 inches...so far I have found no discernible difference in my ride....but I felt that at 5.5 it was a tad more bouncy so I have settled for right around 5 and 7/8 and that has worked well the last two trips and all felt right....

I think I would like to weigh things in the near future just because it sounds like an interesting geeky thing to do to have a sense for everything...I think if I was pulling with a different setup and needed to make sure to keep too much weight off of my TV axels because of marginal payload...then I would be anal about keeping a check on the weights.

I would like though to see the weight on all individual tires...I try and distribute load in my trailer even, but given all the overhead storage, the stove, microwage, sink is on that drivers side, I wonder if those tires are much more loaded than the passenger side....?

this weekend I will be doing some bit of heavy breaking to make sure my “bump” is gone...last time I fiddled with the brake controller and I *think* its gone entirely, it would only do it to me when stopping very abruptly at very slow speeds.

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 08:52 PM   #880
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by PharmGeek View Post
so I just hitched up this evening...brother was helping me...had it lined up...almost all the way in, but would not go in the last 1.5 inches or so....noticed the WD jacks were not totally loose...loosened them and then it all fell into place and latched together...that sounds definitely like the culprit....
That's EXACTLY what I'm talking about. I asked once here why the "geometry" would change and it all made sense. Trailer might sink in the ground a bit, load in truck might be different. Etc. it can be close, but if it's off just enough, you'll get that "stuck" sensation. Adjust the WD jacks and the head just slides right on to the stinger! Makes all the difference in the world! :-)
Old 04-17-2014, 09:04 PM   #881
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zigidachs View Post
To help with hitching, one can paint the stinger with bright orange paint a the flat face of the receiver as well, so you have a bull's eye, so to speak, and an "arrow" to insert…..makes the hitching less problematic.

Hi, Orange paint, "Arrow"; Sounds like we are talking about some other brand of hitch.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 09:25 PM   #882
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
We're all different on desire for exact weights. We use a half-ton Ram reg cab with almost nothing in the bed but hoses, chocks and such because we don't have anything else to put in it. The bikes are on the back of the trailer. We travel lightly in the trailer.

I don't weigh it but use truck fender well measurements setting w.d. near the original attitude. That's about 6 to 6 1/2 inches on the jacks.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote