Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-01-2014, 04:57 PM   #1101
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
I'm sending Santa a letter

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 09:31 PM   #1102
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Ho-Ho-Hold that wrench honey!!!!
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 07:15 AM   #1103
E Pluribus Aluminus

2008 34' Classic S/O
1967 22' Safari
2005 30' Classic
Land Of Enchantment , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by twobikes View Post
THAT just sent me on a two hour retrospective of old 2air threads.... I really miss 2air...
Yep, me too. A strong intellect, abundant common sense and outstanding sense of humor. When he posted on a subject, even the most grandiose of Airstream snobs knew to shut up and take a lesson from the master...
The trouble with trouble is it always starts out as fun...
Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 10:14 PM   #1104
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Question HuH?

There are three kinds of folks in this world:

1) Those that make things happen...

2) Those that watch things happen...

3) Those that wonder what just happened...

Count me in catagory 3) on 2Air...What happened, cause I must have missed something?
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 09:15 PM   #1105
4 Rivet Member

Longport , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
I don't have my manual handy but here's a pic (TV to left of frame, trailer to right).

Attachment 225416

The manual tells you the procedure to determine height as well as the size of the bolts. The stinger is adjusted by sliding it up or down the bracket (or depending on the installation instructions, up or down in the bracket) and tightened with 3 sets of bolts.

Someone with a manual handy can give you more details...good luck!!

We drove all the way down to Florida only to find out that the seller didn't install the hitch. I was pretty irritated but did my best to keep cool about it. The ProPride was sitting in the box just as I had drop shipped it to him.

I brought down some wrenches and sockets and ended up installing the hitch myself. The instructions are crystal clear and just took my time. Most of it was actually enjoyable until I got my finger jammed in the main head 😜 (youch!!!) oh... And also the part where I thought I lost the couplers!!!! (Pre-installed in the head).

First of all I'd like to say that most business owners can learn a thing or two about excellence from Sean. If you've dealt with him than you know what I'm talking about -- He is simply incredible. His responses to my questions were almost instant. Like I had him by my side for the install.

I'm glad I installed it, as I have a better understanding of how the parts work with one another.

A few people came to chat about the hitch as I was installing and found most of them had no idea what it was. A few tried to tell me it was overkill, but I'd rather have a safer, more comfortable tow with our half ton truck.

I also learned that most of my neighbors are super cool and helpful. Especially our neighbor next door who has super-human strength and helped me torque down the yoke bolts.

All and all, I'm glad it worked out this way and so psyched on our airstream as it's much nicer than we anticipated. Looking forward to our first tow!
gomotomoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 09:45 PM   #1106
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomotomoto View Post
We drove all the way down to Florida only to find out that the seller didn't install the hitch. I was pretty irritated but did my best to keep cool about it. The ProPride was sitting in the box just as I had drop shipped it to him.
I brought down some wrenches and so......
All and all, I'm glad it worked out this way and so psyched on our airstream as it's much nicer than we anticipated. Looking forward to our first tow!
Glad you did that, huh? You gonna luvit....
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 10:23 PM   #1107
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Just start gentle. You may have to fine tune the tension on the WD bars from the recommendation in the PP instructions. I use a Toyota Tacoma crew cab as TV and I had to tighten up about 1/2 inch on the jacks to get decent handling which probably means the front end was a bit light At 6 1/2 on the jacks was about right. Play with it carefully in a safe area. I also needed to go fairly high on the brake controller to avoid the "bump" on panic stops.

Once dialed in, you will really like the setup.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 04:38 AM   #1108
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Wow - congrats, gotomoto! I lack the skills to do that myself (am learning as we go - someday, my goal is to take it off and reinstall it....but not today :-) ). Glad you got your own education out of it!!
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 04:57 AM   #1109
4 Rivet Member

Longport , New Jersey
The unofficial pp users guide...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
Wow - congrats, gotomoto! I lack the skills to do that myself (am learning as we go - someday, my goal is to take it off and reinstall it....but not today :-) ). Glad you got your own education out of it!!

Gracias! I was pretty intimidated by it at first, but it's actually easier than some ikea pieces I've put together...just heavier 😝

I'd imagine if you were going to take it off yourself before installing it, you'd be able to re-install it pretty quickly. Most of the time it took me to install was just me understanding how everything worked together and purposely moving slowly.

Not that I'm any kinda authority at all, but If you took the called measurements that already exist, I'd say you'd move the install along pretty swiftly.
Old 11-06-2014, 08:46 AM   #1110
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
When I was installing the ProPride, Sean made a couple of steel plate wedges to prevent movement of the "U" channels on the screw jacks. We had to position them to clear the propane tank and battery box.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Hitch Details.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	230.2 KB
ID:	225862  

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 01:08 PM   #1111
2020 Classic 33

Box Elder , South Dakota
If anyone has installed a ProPride on their 2015 Classic (or a late model Classic assuming the tanks/mounting hasn't changed) did you need to do anything with the propane tank shelf to clear the yoke u-brackets? Spacers, anything special?
ghaynes755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 03:57 PM   #1112
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcticfox View Post
Interesting read.....
Unless it's your post he is bashing mercilessly.

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 05:36 PM   #1113
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag&Au View Post
Unless it's your post he is bashing mercilessly.

Ken
LOL - Sorry Ken, the "read was interesting" only because I could not for the life me figure out what the heck he was saying.....
Old 11-06-2014, 06:32 PM   #1114
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcticfox View Post
LOL - Sorry Ken, the "read was interesting" only because I could not for the life me figure out what the heck he was saying.....
Welcome to the part of this group, that spent way more time trying to figure out what he was trying to say than one would think should be necessary.

I guess some of us are just slow.

Ken
Old 11-07-2014, 08:13 AM   #1115
4 Rivet Member

Longport , New Jersey
Can anybody explain to me if the yoke tail travels up-and-down?

My propane bottle hold down rod is touching the top of the yoke tail, and wondering if I need to cut it a little bit so it does not touch it.

I have not seen it actually articulate yet so I'm not sure if the yoke tail is going to travel up and push the rod which would in Theory knock my propane bottles loose.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1415373162.404163.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	655.3 KB
ID:	225954

If it travels up and down I probably need to cut this, if it does not move it should be okay. Can anybody confirm this?
Old 11-07-2014, 08:32 AM   #1116
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Yes it does move up and down so trim anything that will interfere. Also be sure you raise your tongue jack enough after hooking up so the spring bars will not contact it in sharper turns.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 10:18 AM   #1117
Rivet Master

Quote:
Can anybody explain to me if the yoke tail travels up-and-down?

My propane bottle hold down rod is touching the top of the yoke tail, and wondering if I need to cut it a little bit so it does not touch it.

I have not seen it actually articulate yet so I'm not sure if the yoke tail is going to travel up and push the rod which would in Theory knock my propane bottles loose.

Attachment 225954

If it travels up and down I probably need to cut this, if it does not move it should be okay. Can anybody confirm this?
I can't tell from the picture, but perhaps, if there is sufficient room under the top of the tank cover, the bar can just be threaded back up out of the way.

Ken
Old 11-12-2014, 02:59 PM   #1118
4 Rivet Member

Longport , New Jersey
Just had my first ProPride Experience. it was amazing and towed the airstream 1200 miles back from Orlando to NJ smooth as silk. the only problem I had was trying to figure out how high to lift the jack so the stinger would come out of the receiver box without too much friction how are you supposed to know at which height Will release it easily?
Old 11-12-2014, 03:05 PM   #1119
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Quote:
the only problem I had was trying to figure out how high to lift the jack so the stinger would come out of the receiver box without too much friction how are you supposed to know at which height Will release it easily?
The way I do it is to drop the jack down a bit, put my fingertips on the top of the hitch with the sides of my fingers against the hitch cup, then raise the jack until I feel the two surfaces move apart. I started doing this in the dark when I could not see the relative motion; now I do it all the time. There is just room for my fingers and no chance of getting pinched.

Oh, and ,make sure the tension on the jacks is released for sure.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 03:08 PM   #1120
4 Rivet Member

Longport , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahaska View Post
The way I do it is to drop the jack down a bit, put my fingertips on the top of the hitch with the sides of my fingers against the hitch cup, then raise the jack until I feel the two surfaces move apart. I started doing this in the dark when I could not see the relative motion; now I do it all the time. There is just room for my fingers and no chance of getting pinched.

Oh, and ,make sure the tension on the jacks is released for sure.

Saaaaweeeeeeet! Thanks man!