Old 10-04-2013, 01:26 PM   #757
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by chracatoa View Post
We should do it about once a year right?

I don't have a floor jack, can I just connect it to the car and use the tongue jack to move the trailer up?
Yes, but you might have to disconnect the bars from the jacks.

Old 10-04-2013, 03:39 PM   #758
3 Rivet Member

2012 28' International
2009 34' Panamerica
Poplarville , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwf View Post
Install on my stock 2012 Silverado 2500 doesn't allow install of the Rock Tamers....
I have found the same thing on my '14 Silverado 2500HD. In my case, with the Rock Tamer bracket on the hitch bar, mine lacks 1/2" having enough pin hole exposed in the receiver. If I shortened the receiver "bushing" or "reducer" by that amount, then the 2.5" x 2.5" receiver box would interfere with the bracket.

I'm going to mill the vertical bar to 2" x 2" and use it there as I don't want the hitch bar sticking out any further than necessary. The Rock Tamer bracket works as delivered with my '13 Suburban 2500 with 2" x 2" receiver.

Z

Old 10-07-2013, 10:54 AM   #759
3 Rivet Member

2012 28' International
2009 34' Panamerica
Done...one less thing to worry about.

Rock Tamer fit like a glove on the Suburban hook-up. This is on a second-hand trailer. The PO towed with a HA. He extended the safety chains but left them too long. I replaced them with high-tensile chains. My bolt cutters cut the old chains off the trailer like they were hot butter. I almost destroyed the cutters cutting the new chain. Significant difference. I now suspect the weak link is the attachment points (loops) on the trailer itself.

Not that they really needed changing out...

I had ordered the 2nd PP to use with the Suburban which requires a 14" drop hitch bar (special order). Now that I'm also towing with a Silverado with a Class V hitch (where the Rock Tamers won't fit), I'm going to end up with quiet a bit of vertical bar sticking up. I'm going to shorten it, mill it into a 2"x2" square and mount the Rock Tamer up top for the Silverado.

You can see where I cut a receiver "bushing" but it just wasn't enough for a conventional RT mount.

Z
Old 10-14-2013, 06:45 AM   #760
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zackybilly1 View Post
Done...one less thing to worry about. Rock Tamer fit like a glove on the Suburban hook-up. This is on a second-hand trailer. The PO towed with a HA. He extended the safety chains but left them too long. I replaced them with high-tensile chains. My bolt cutters cut the old chains off the trailer like they were hot butter. I almost destroyed the cutters cutting the new chain. Significant difference. I now suspect the weak link is the attachment points (loops) on the trailer itself. Not that they really needed changing out... I had ordered the 2nd PP to use with the Suburban which requires a 14" drop hitch bar (special order). Now that I'm also towing with a Silverado with a Class V hitch (where the Rock Tamers won't fit), I'm going to end up with quiet a bit of vertical bar sticking up. I'm going to shorten it, mill it into a 2"x2" square and mount the Rock Tamer up top for the Silverado. You can see where I cut a receiver "bushing" but it just wasn't enough for a conventional RT mount. Z
So the 3p and RTs didn't work?
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 06:55 AM   #761
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I did what Zackybilly did, but I don't think you need to cut off as much of the reducer as in the last pic. The factory reducer has a "fat lip" which acts as nothing more than a depth gauge to quickly line up the pin holes with the receiver pin holes. But this lip consumes about 1/2" of the available stinger real estate for RT installation. A quick cut with the sawsall, and the fit was fine.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 09:16 AM   #762
3 Rivet Member

2012 28' International
2009 34' Panamerica
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwf View Post
So the 3p and RTs didn't work?
Even with my adapter cut short, it still wouldn't fit on my truck...close but no cigar. The new OEM receiver bushing was $28. What I am going to do is cut off some of that "excess" drop on the vertical bar and then mill it to 2" x 2" square (currently, its 2" x 2.5") for the Rock Tamer "yoke".

My second Rock Tamer just came it so I'll be working on that mod tonight. Did dump valve replacements on my '03 Classic this weekend so didn't get a chance to start on the hitch mod before hand. What a PIA that was but I feel like a have a new lease on life with fresh valves.

Z
Old 10-14-2013, 09:22 AM   #763
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Even with my adapter cut short, it still wouldn't fit on my truck...close but no cigar. The new OEM receiver bushing was $28. What I am going to do is cut off some of that "excess" drop on the vertical bar and then mill it to 2" x 2" square (currently, its 2" x 2.5") for the Rock Tamer "yoke".

My second Rock Tamer just came it so I'll be working on that mod tonight. Did dump valve replacements on my '03 Classic this weekend so didn't get a chance to start on the hitch mod before hand. What a PIA that was but I feel like a have a new lease on life with fresh valves.

Z
I'm confused...is the space between the receiver and the too narrow....or is the vertical bar with the height adj holes hitting something? I never had the vertical bar interfere with anything on the 3 2500's I've used as TVs.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 10-14-2013, 09:26 AM   #764
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
WAIT! Flip the receiver end of the stinger over so the side plates go up. The sloped cutout reliefs on the RT yoke are on the rear top side. I think that'll gain you about 1/4" of space.

Old 10-14-2013, 09:32 AM   #765
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Like this....(pic is of a 2013 Silverado 2500HD)

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20130913_144132_913.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	260.7 KB
ID:	197774

Old 10-14-2013, 09:36 AM   #766
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Nevermind...I'm looking at it wrong. I don't get it why you don't have enough room...I actually have a bit extra.

Old 10-14-2013, 09:42 AM   #767
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
like this? I have to do this with my Express van, as the receiver is recessed forward of the rear edge of the bumper....it works fine, but why cut it off?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20130927_150230_105.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	201.5 KB
ID:	197775

Old 10-14-2013, 03:30 PM   #768
3 Rivet Member

2012 28' International
2009 34' Panamerica
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
....it works fine, but why cut it off?
Mine is on a '14 Silverado 2500HD. This is as close as it would come to pinning up...with the yoke flipped, its worse.

I'm cutting it off because I don't need as much drop with this truck as I do on the '13 Suburban 2500. I ordered the hitch before I decided to buy another truck. That's the new bushing I just picked up.

So now it is shorter.....

My verticals are 2" x 2.5" (maybe due to the longer drop ordered on both) therefore the top of the vertical needs to be 2 x 2 for the yoke to fit....I did this during lunch and am powder coating it as I type (takes a while to heat up due to the mass of the hitch bar).

I left an extra bolt hole for a "retaining" bolt above where the yoke will mount so that it will be "captured" as with the horizontal mounting. I should have it done after dinner and will post pics of the final product when done.

Z
Old 10-14-2013, 06:29 PM   #769
3 Rivet Member

2012 28' International
2009 34' Panamerica
Quote:
I should have it done after dinner and will post pics of the final product when done.
Stewed okra, mac & cheese, rib-eye and dinner rolls...

As mentioned, left an open hole above the "yoke". A retainer bolt will prevent the RT from rattling off and most likely, will incorporate a lifting handle.

Now, I can pull either trailer with either truck. Next on the agenda is several trips to the scales for each possibility.

Although the receiver on the Suburban 2500 is built hell-for-stout, it is entirely too high. After towing with the Suburban ('13, 6.0L, tow package, sway control, 3.73:1, blah, blah, blah and towing with the Silverado ('14, 2500HD, 4x4, Duramax/Allison)...I wouldn't trade the Siverado for two Suburbans. I'll use it when I need a third row seat but I don't see using it much for towing other than closer destinations. The Silverado gets about the same fuel economy towing as the Suburban gets empty.

Z
Old 10-14-2013, 08:15 PM   #770
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Z!
Kewl! I thought of mounting RTs on vertical as you did. I worried it might not be reliable since it loads the yoke sideways.

Seems it would be doable to mount directly to the vertical bar with longer bolt. .. Any thoughts?

I received the replacement hitch bar today. I haven't measured but it looks like it is drilled nearly an inch longer than stock. Pics to follow.

I am concerned about the length causing other issues with towing.

cwf is offline   Reply With Quote