Old 08-22-2013, 07:46 PM   #729
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Crossing the chain is more than a state law. It not only keeps the outer chain from getting too tight on turns, it also acts as a basket to keep the trailer tongue from digging in if ever there is a failure in the hitch system. The latter could really uin your day.

WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 09:05 PM   #730
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
A note on crossing chains.

Our 2012 FC front dinette has only one loop under the A-frame where the chains attach. There is no crossing on some Airstreams because the two chains use the same attachment loop.

doug

Old 08-22-2013, 09:49 PM   #731
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
a note on crossing chains.

Our 2012 fc front dinette has only one loop under the a-frame where the chains attach. There is no crossing on some airstreams because the two chains use the same attachment loop.

Doug
x2...
Old 08-22-2013, 09:51 PM   #732
4 Rivet Member

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Longmont , Colorado
Crossing chains coming from single mount point

Like dkottom's trailer, our 2013 25FB has a single loop in the tongue where both chains attach. But even though they come from the same loop, there is a left and a right chain. We cross them when hooking them to our car. I believe that gives them a little better chance to hold the tongue off the ground.

Our other (non-AS) trailer is the same way.
Old 08-23-2013, 04:57 AM   #733
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
I was told the same thing as Doug, by my dealer.
Larry
Old 08-23-2013, 09:44 AM   #734
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
A note on crossing chains.

Our 2012 FC front dinette has only one loop under the A-frame where the chains attach. There is no crossing on some Airstreams because the two chains use the same attachment loop.

doug

To me, this begs the question:

Why bother to have two chains if they are both attached to the same loop welded onto the A frame? That is putting a lot of faith in those two weld points on that one loop.

It sounds to me like an ill conceived design short cut. If my trailer were rigged like that, I would be researching whether of not it should be changed, both for reliability and to gain the supporting feature and directional stability of the crossed chains.

Ken
Old 08-23-2013, 10:00 AM   #735
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Chains "should" not only have separate attachment points on the TT, each chain needs the strength to by itself handle the weight of the TT (not something you'll find at HD or Lowes).

Second, the TV attach points are to be separate of the hitch receiver.

All of this, if one is serious in re "safety chains".
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 10:08 AM   #736
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
Chains "should" not only have separate attachment points on the TT, each chain needs the strength to by itself handle the weight of the TT (not something you'll find at HD or Lowes).

Second, the TV attach points are to be separate of the hitch receiver.

All of this, if one is serious in re "safety chains".
Then neither Airstream nor Dodge are serious about safety chains.

doug
Old 08-23-2013, 10:13 AM   #737
Rivet Master

The Texas Transportation Code simply states:
The rules shall:
(1) require safety chains to be strong enough to maintain the connection between the trailer, semitrailer, house trailer, or drawn motor vehicle and the drawing vehicle

Note that chains is plural. It is not required that a single chain handle the load, though that is certainly not a bad idea.
WBCCI #9632
Old 08-23-2013, 10:34 AM   #738
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
That is a minimum. Fine if "minimum" appeals to one. D.O.T. regulations are more stringent. We covered this to some depth in a thread about safety chains vs. cables. Read more there to become satisfied. Ordinary Americans are disposable (road safety; 1,965 dead in Texas alone thus far this year), but freight and liability are another order of value. This is America, after all. The lobbyists can work both sides of "safety" arguments.

Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 08:01 AM   #739
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Ottawa , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by SafariSS View Post
...First impressions were sketchy as i did not have enough boost on my brakes and the hitch head did a violent swing to one side on a hard test brake.
Same thing - I was told it's called the "Hensley Bump" - more boost on the prodigy took care of us.

Quote:
Has a different feel in cornering that will take some getting used to.
It certainly does - it corners like a fifth wheel thanks to the pivot point projection. We learned quickly to make our turns wider, following the outside of the curve wherever possible.
Old 08-28-2013, 08:18 AM   #740
Rivet Master

Backing radius with the PPP is definitely larger. It also takes more distance to get the turn started.

Backing into my slot at the storage yard has always been tight, even before the PPP because of a building across from the slot. With the PPP, my front bumper almost grazes the building. When I recently replaced my truck, I went with an extended cab instead of a crew cab just to get a bit shorter wheelbase and a bit more clearance between my bumper and the building.
WBCCI #9632
Old 09-29-2013, 12:33 AM   #741
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Update.. Sean is making a replacement adjustable hitch head for my 3P. Here's why. Install on my stock 2012 Silverado 2500 doesn't allow install of the Rock Tamers because the hole for the hitch pin is too far aft. With the Rock Tamer bracket on there, I can't insert deep enough to set pin. Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1894431807.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	370.3 KB
ID:	196668 I wonder, dies anyone here have similar install on TV? My truck hitch has the "reducer sleeve" which has a small flare on the rear which helps Locate the holes. That is about the distance I am missing. So, FYI to others, and also a question...have you encountered?

I noticed Morgan Guy has his mounted differently and I need to check it out tomorrow!

I suspect tomorrow I will reinforce my claim of having a marginal brain capacity.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 07:48 AM   #742
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Classic FB
Fredericksburg , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwf View Post
Update.. Sean is making a replacement adjustable hitch head for my 3P. Here's why. Install on my stock 2012 Silverado 2500 doesn't allow install of the Rock Tamers because the hole for the hitch pin is too far aft. With the Rock Tamer bracket on there, I can't insert deep enough to set pin. Attachment 196668 I wonder, dies anyone here have similar install on TV? My truck hitch has the "reducer sleeve" which has a small flare on the rear which helps Locate the holes. That is about the distance I am missing. So, FYI to others, and also a question...have you encountered?

I noticed Morgan Guy has his mounted differently and I need to check it out tomorrow!

I suspect tomorrow I will reinforce my claim of having a marginal brain capacity.
I am not sure what is different about mine. I think I have done a fairly standard install. Will you be going to the Vintage Rally at Gonzales? I will be there. My TV is a Ford F150.