Old 08-05-2013, 10:00 PM   #673
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by morgandc View Post
The Tow vehicle is a 2013 BMW X5 x35d.

The objective.... is to make sure that as I slalom down mountain roads I am as safe as possible. I don't really feel the need for weight distribution based on current handling, but I would love to eliminate the potential for sway because some day I will hit a bump wrong and I would like to stack the deck in my favor.

The solar install is scheduled, I am choosing the location for batteries now. The generators will only be used rarely for running the AC.
Some SWAGs here so take with a huge salt lick!

It looks like your FB sport has a published tongue weight of 393. That might shoot upwards of 650 to 700 fully loaded and with the portion of the PP that counts to tongue weight. And I think your GVWR is 4500 so (just guessing) you'd be in that 10-15% range there. Your tow vehicle can handle 6000 lbs but I couldn't find your receiver's capacity. I'm assuming it's 1000 lbs but you would know better than I would. If the guesses are fairly close to being right, the PP would fit your specs and give you slaloming peace of mind. Triple check the numbers though - this is a lot of guessing on my part - and for sure, talk w/Sean Woodruff (PP pres.).

Old 08-05-2013, 10:14 PM   #674
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
I might be off a bit, ....wouldn't the weight of the PP just be added to the vehicle tongue weight, not the trailer? Tongue weight is a factor of trailer load. So with PP attaching to the receiver, wouldn't the weight be in there, not trailer?

cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 10:46 PM   #675
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by morgandc View Post
I have to confess to being intimidated by the weight, complexity, cost and complications to the hitch area of the PP where I have plans for more batteries an possibly a couple of 2k generators.

Probably the largest issue is just the weight. If I add the installed weight of the PP to the tongue it would almost exceed the tongue weight limits on the trailer empty. Just the weight alone would push me close to trailer gross weight when I am loaded and ready to roll.

I know that PP is one of the best, but for my Sport 22 should I find another option?
Tongue weight is perhaps the greatest limiting factor of most truck/trailer combinations; best not to add things like batteries and generators to that area, especially both on a light trailer. When hitched and weight distributed the tongue weight is mostly carried by the tow vehicle, not the trailer axles

A Propride will greatly improve your towing experience and trailer sway cannot happen. Do you really need to carry that much electrical equipment for a small trailer? Seems a bit much.

doug
Old 08-06-2013, 07:21 AM   #676
3 Rivet Member

2013 22' FB Sport
College Place , Washington
The receiver is rated at 6000 / 600. I am running at about 520.
Gross on the trailer is 4500, I am running with an axle weight of 3700 with all tanks full and luggage, so 3700+520 = 4350.

It looks like I am going to move my batteries inside, but only by a few inches at this point so that won't help the tongue weight much.

Do I "Need" that much electrical? If I go to the nearest "city", or river I need AC for the wife and dog. The east side of WA in the summer will easily run over 100 degrees F. When I go on vacations, I normally go to cooler places and/or places with RV parks so it isn't as needed there. It would be much cheaper to just always stay at an RV park. But I just like my electronics....

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
Some SWAGs here so take with a huge salt lick!

It looks like your FB sport has a published tongue weight of 393. That might shoot upwards of 650 to 700 fully loaded and with the portion of the PP that counts to tongue weight. And I think your GVWR is 4500 so (just guessing) you'd be in that 10-15% range there. Your tow vehicle can handle 6000 lbs but I couldn't find your receiver's capacity. I'm assuming it's 1000 lbs but you would know better than I would. If the guesses are fairly close to being right, the PP would fit your specs and give you slaloming peace of mind. Triple check the numbers though - this is a lot of guessing on my part - and for sure, talk w/Sean Woodruff (PP pres.).
Old 08-06-2013, 08:06 AM   #677
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwf View Post
I might be off a bit, ....wouldn't the weight of the PP just be added to the vehicle tongue weight, not the trailer? Tongue weight is a factor of trailer load. So with PP attaching to the receiver, wouldn't the weight be in there, not trailer?
The ball, the head, and the stinger are not tongue weight, but they are receiver weight, and thus part of rear axle load. The yoke, jacks, brackets, etc are tongue weight. Parts that attach to the head AND the A frame are partially tongue weight and partially receiver weight.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 08:39 AM   #678
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Just adding a 200# PP weight to a 800# tongue weight would not result in 1000# resting on the truck receiver. This is because the PP does not rest on the truck receiver at the hitch ball, but about 12 inches farther away from the trailer axle. That changes the math. I have seen reports of 80-100# less than the PP and tongue weight simply added together, depending on the distance of trailer axle to truck receiver when attached.

doug
Old 08-09-2013, 12:29 AM   #679
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Wonder what the average order to ship schedule is for 3P?
Old 08-09-2013, 10:43 AM   #680
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Quote:
Wonder what the average order to ship schedule is for 3P?
Won't be long!
Old 08-09-2013, 11:53 AM   #681
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Smile Recent order

Ordered it on Wednesday, August 7. Order acknowledged the very same day. Had a typo in my e-mail address that Sean fixed promptly. Part of the order was drop shipped from CA manufacturer (tongue weight scale) it arrived yesterday August 8.

Rest of order (hitch and extension cable/chain set) will be here on my doorstep in Southern California on August 13 according to UPS.

Sean has been patient and helpful throughout the entire process, answering ALL my questions and concerns very promptly, usually within 24 hours.

He has also provided access to the electronic version of the assembly instructions so I can read them before the heavy hardware arrives.

Never had better customer service from any vendor, period.

I'm an engineer, so understanding the design and operation of this hitch setup was essential before spending the money. Based on my previous towing experience with this rig, the 3p hitch should make a heck of a difference.

Admittedly I got no real sway with the cheap load distribution hitch on the trailer (with absolutely NO sway control), but keep in mind I was going mostly uphill on a windless day when I moved it the first time for only 90 miles. My son's method of avoiding trailer sway (it's his Airstream) was to have fast youthful reflexes, and dial the Tekonsa Prodigy 2 brake controller up to a moderately aggressive braking curve. I'm a bit older and slower, and don't appreciate the white knuckle ride possibility.

Yes, it is not cheap, but based on all I have read, I'll go for stability and safety. Sean appears to have systems in stock, and the 3p with 1000 lb bars has shipped really quick.

Now I get to do the heavy lifting to install it. A word of advice--read the directions TWICE before installing it. It is not complicated, but MUST be done correctly to get it fitted properly. Skipping a step is NOT a good idea.
Old 08-09-2013, 01:25 PM   #682
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Thanks!

Got my notification moments ago!
Old 08-10-2013, 01:44 PM   #683
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
As you might recall, my dealer installed my ProPride as I wasn't sure I was mechanically up for the challenge. This week as a fellow camper (Hensley user) was admiring the PP, I noticed something I hadn't before. First pic: head in view of yoke from coupler:

Might be hard to see in that pic, but the left side of the yoke is much closer to the a-frame than the right side.

Next 2 pics are actual measurements from the same spot on the yoke on each side to the a-frame:

LEFT:

RIGHT:

About a 1.25" difference. Sent pics to Sean - he says "Align the frame bracket so that the tail of the yoke is directly behind the tongue jack and running down the centerline of the trailer."

I've looked at that section of the installation manual and (for reasons that explain why I had the dealer do this) can not see what I'm suppose to do to make this happen. Sean assures me those 250 ft lb bolts don't have to be touched to do this. Would any fellow PP owners be able to help with some SIMPLE and SPECIFIC instructions? I'm willing to try but would like to have a bit of a clue before unbolting stuff :-)
First - thanks to JDnBeastlet and Pahaska for your advice on how to fix this. Easy as pie. I did it last week but didn't take the trailer out until this morning to head to the tire shop.

On the same roads I've always traveled, the ride was noticeably smoother - specifically almost free of porpoising which has plagued me since day 1. Is this psychological or is there some science behind the idea that straightening this piece of the hitch assembly would actually reduce porpoising - and if so, why?

Thanks - I was practically giddy the ride was so smooth!!! I'm going to update the Michelin thread as well because things got even better after that!!
Old 08-13-2013, 09:38 AM   #684
3 Rivet Member

2006 30' Classic
Wildwood , Missouri
SteveSueMac, I saw your post about the difference in the distance to the frame on the R and L and measured ours. Sure enough, it it not equal. I'm hoping that once that is centered and we properly adjust the WD bars and stringer height that our ride will be more stable. THANKS!
Old 08-13-2013, 11:49 AM   #685
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by kswelsh View Post
SteveSueMac, I saw your post about the difference in the distance to the frame on the R and L and measured ours. Sure enough, it it not equal. I'm hoping that once that is centered and we properly adjust the WD bars and stringer height that our ride will be more stable. THANKS!
That's great. If you haven't, I would definitely recommend a call to Sean to review your installation and any problems/questions you're having. If found that 94.62% of my problems (not that exact really) have been due to either my misunderstanding something, my having missed something in the manual or an installation issue which I had no part in. Once those are sorted - I've had a simple time hitching & unhitching and the towing experience has been true peace of mind. Good luck!!
Old 08-14-2013, 03:35 PM   #686
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Smile Hitch arrived 8/13/2013 as promised..

Four incredibly well-packed boxes--some right at the limit of what this OM can lift. 230 pounds of steel and packing material--the WD bars were the lightest package! Minor missing cardboard on the bottom edge of one box, but contents intact--probably got munched by a sort conveyor somewhere in the system.

Now I get to read the instructions again and gather the needed big tools to install this setup.

Will post any unusual situations as I can...no web access at the trailer storage site.