Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 06-24-2013, 06:55 PM   #617
Rivet Master
 
SteveSueMac's Avatar

 
2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 5,155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridgerunner3
Steve, I'm not totally sure I am addressing what you ask. I don't have any washers behind the rivet, so this may be no help. When the angle of the P3 box does not match the stinger angle, I adjust the WD jacks to get the angles to match just prior to backing the stinger into the P3 hitch box. I have not had any problems hitching and unhitching. The hitch / unhitch video on Sean's website was a big help for me to understand the process better.
Thanks Ridgerunner3 - yes, sounds like both use no washers and attempt a level approach. But like Morgan guy, I think you're saying you can adjust the angle of the box w/WD jacks. Not sure I need the washer yet but wondering if that complicates hitching...I'm inferring the answer there is no...
__________________

__________________
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 06:56 PM   #618
Rivet Master
 
SteveSueMac's Avatar

 
2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 5,155
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum
Here's a good video on hitching the PP.

Pro Pride Hitching Up - YouTube

doug k
Doug - I think that's Bruce's video posted here recently! It's great - I should PM him to see if he's got washers behind the rivet...
__________________

__________________
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 07:00 PM   #619
Rivet Master
 
SteveSueMac's Avatar

 
2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 5,155
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAB
I continue to follow this thread as even with almost 2 years with my PP I continue to learn from everyone else. I've found that trying to have as straight an approach as possible makes the process simpler. If I've got much of an angle to deal with I'll use my "Swift Hitch" camera and receiver. Since I solo, I often wonder if it'd be easier to have another set of eyes back there!
Hi BAB - I'm embarrassed to have forgotten the name, but a suggestion was made to have a brightly colored rope with a magnet on one end and a weight on the other. The magnet goes under the box and you draw a straight line with the rope back toward your TV (the weight holds it in position). Then in your backup cam, you can direct the stinger over the rope right to the box. I tried it and LOVE it! Spot on almost every time unless the sun is at a bad angle and washes out or shadows the stinger.
__________________
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 07:17 PM   #620
Rivet Master
 
SteveSueMac's Avatar

 
2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 5,155
The rope idea was Pahaska's and was posted in Bruce B's PP hitching video. Thanks, Pahaska!
__________________
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 08:12 PM   #621
4 Rivet Member
 
Morgan guy's Avatar
 
2007 27' Classic FB
Fredericksburg , Texas
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
thanks Morgan guy (please tell me you tow with one!!). Is the 4* angle due to a washer? I think you're saying you can also adjust the angle of the box by adjusting the WD jacks to accommodate any angle, yes?
No, the 4 degrees is due to a slope I have to back up to where the AS is parked on a level surface. Yes, I use the WD jacks to adjust the angle to match that of the stinger. Once you have done it a few times you will find that it gets easier every time.
__________________
Morgan guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 08:14 PM   #622
4 Rivet Member
 
Morgan guy's Avatar
 
2007 27' Classic FB
Fredericksburg , Texas
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 279
I forgot to answer your first question. I am afraid my Morgan would flatten her tires if I tried to tow with it.
__________________
Morgan guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 09:15 PM   #623
Rivet Master
 
Pahaska's Avatar
 
2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Hays County , Texas
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 5,666
Images: 3
I always hitch up solo. The rope and magnet trick is pure magic at night or when hooking up at a large angle such as in the little semi-circular sites in some of our state parks. It also helps at the storage barn when the trailer is in deep shadow and the TV in bright sun.

I never tried it with my former ball hitch, but it should work there as well when it isn't possible to simply line up the TV with the trailer body.
__________________
John W. Irwin
2014.5 Touring Coach, "Sabre-Dog IV"
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 12:55 AM   #624
Rivet Master
 
richinny's Avatar
 
2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 3,122
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
Here's a question for my fellow PP owners.


In an offline conversation with Sean, we came to the conclusion that washers behind the rivet were not needed for my setup. For those of you who have used 1 or more washers, how is your hitching up experience? I've notice that unless I'm really level as there is no WD applied, it is tricky at best to hitch up as the stinger gets caught in the box at an odd angle ad doesn't want to go in.

If you're using washers to lower the angle and apply more WD, do you make an adjustment to the box trailer side? If not, please describe your hitching experience. Thanks!!
put the stinker into the PP hitch without the tow vehicle and move the jacks uo and down and you'll see the stinger angle change, match the angle to the angle of the stinger when it is in the truck.
__________________
Ricky
2012 F150 Super Crew 5-1/2' bed Ecoboost 4x4 3.73 elec. lock diff. Propride hitch
give life. kidney & pancreas transplant 9/9/06
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 04:42 AM   #625
Rivet Master
 
SteveSueMac's Avatar

 
2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 5,155
Quote:
Originally Posted by richinny

put the stinker into the PP hitch without the tow vehicle and move the jacks uo and down and you'll see the stinger angle change, match the angle to the angle of the stinger when it is in the truck.
Another great suggestion richinny! Thanks much - will play with that this weekend! Great wealth of knowledge on this forum!!
__________________
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 07:47 PM   #626
Don't forget your cat nap
 
Ag&Au's Avatar
 
Port Orchard , Washington
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 4,463
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAB View Post
I continue to follow this thread as even with almost 2 years with my PP I continue to learn from everyone else. I've found that trying to have as straight an approach as possible makes the process simpler. If I've got much of an angle to deal with I'll use my "Swift Hitch" camera and receiver. Since I solo, I often wonder if it'd be easier to have another set of eyes back there!
My experience is that the second set of eyes spend most of their time arguing with the first set of eyes.

Ken
__________________
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 04:30 PM   #627
Don't forget your cat nap
 
Ag&Au's Avatar
 
Port Orchard , Washington
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 4,463
Images: 1
My turn to ask for help

I have now been using the ProPride for nearly 4 years. I have had very little difficulty hitching.

However lately, I have been experiencing difficulty unhitching any time the truck and trailer are not on the same level piece of ground.

I have no difficulty hitching in this situation, because I can visually see the clearance between the four sides of the hitch stinger and the sides of the hitch box on the trailer.

Normally I unhitch by releasing all the tension on the WD jacks and then lowering the tongue jack onto the stand. I then raise the tongue jack with one hand while my other hand is wiggling the Rock Tamer extension bars. On the level, when all the weight is off the hitch, the extension bars will freely move the hitch within the excess play. However if the truck is on either an up slope or down slope in relation to the trailer, I often cannot locate this sweet spot.

I am eagerly awaiting any ideas or advice.

Ken
__________________
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 04:36 PM   #628
Rivet Master
 
SteveSueMac's Avatar

 
2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 5,155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag&Au
I have now been using the ProPride for nearly 4 years. I have had very little difficulty hitching.

However lately, I have been experiencing difficulty unhitching any time the truck and trailer are not on the same level piece of ground.

I have no difficulty hitching in this situation, because I can visually see the clearance between the four sides of the hitch stinger and the sides of the hitch box on the trailer.

Normally I unhitch by releasing all the tension on the WD jacks and then lowering the tongue jack onto the stand. I then raise the tongue jack with one hand while my other hand is wiggling the Rock Tamer extension bars. On the level, when all the weight is off the hitch, the extension bars will freely move the hitch within the excess play. However if the truck is on either an up slope or down slope in relation to the trailer, I often cannot locate this sweet spot.

I am eagerly awaiting any ideas or advice.

Ken
I don't know if this would apply to you but this weekend when I went to unhitch I was SHOCKED to hear the sound of the jack digging rocks forward as my truck was moving forward! I reconnected the OCLs and 7-blade connector, backed it up to the right spot and liberally WD40d the hitch receiver and stinger head. I disconnected again and was able to unhitch just fine. I'm thinking of making that a regular practice (just the WD40 part).
__________________
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 04:38 PM   #629
Rivet Master
 
SteveSueMac's Avatar

 
2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 5,155
Also forgot to mention, I think the "sweet spot" is when you raise the jack to the point where you can see (and it's VERY subtle) the coupler slide off the ball.
__________________
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 05:46 PM   #630
Don't forget your cat nap
 
Ag&Au's Avatar
 
Port Orchard , Washington
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 4,463
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
I don't know if this would apply to you but this weekend when I went to unhitch I was SHOCKED to hear the sound of the jack digging rocks forward as my truck was moving forward! I reconnected the OCLs and 7-blade connector, backed it up to the right spot and liberally WD40d the hitch receiver and stinger head. I disconnected again and was able to unhitch just fine. I'm thinking of making that a regular practice (just the WD40 part).
Thanks,

I will give that a try. I won't have to deal with this for a bit. We are going home on Friday and our driveway is basically level. My first test will be when we take the trailer back to storage next week. There is a problem there with the layout making the trailer level, but the rear wheels of the truck, higher than the front wheels.

Ken
__________________

__________________
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Looking at new TVs, Input please Mr & Mrs S Tow Vehicles 46 03-16-2012 10:39 AM
DuraSafe Locks, Any Users ? knunut Off Topic Forum 3 02-08-2011 09:44 AM


Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by



Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:37 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.