Old 06-24-2013, 06:55 PM   #617
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridgerunner3
Steve, I'm not totally sure I am addressing what you ask. I don't have any washers behind the rivet, so this may be no help. When the angle of the P3 box does not match the stinger angle, I adjust the WD jacks to get the angles to match just prior to backing the stinger into the P3 hitch box. I have not had any problems hitching and unhitching. The hitch / unhitch video on Sean's website was a big help for me to understand the process better.
Thanks Ridgerunner3 - yes, sounds like both use no washers and attempt a level approach. But like Morgan guy, I think you're saying you can adjust the angle of the box w/WD jacks. Not sure I need the washer yet but wondering if that complicates hitching...I'm inferring the answer there is no...

Old 06-24-2013, 06:56 PM   #618
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum
Here's a good video on hitching the PP.

Pro Pride Hitching Up - YouTube

doug k
Doug - I think that's Bruce's video posted here recently! It's great - I should PM him to see if he's got washers behind the rivet...

Old 06-24-2013, 07:00 PM   #619
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAB
I continue to follow this thread as even with almost 2 years with my PP I continue to learn from everyone else. I've found that trying to have as straight an approach as possible makes the process simpler. If I've got much of an angle to deal with I'll use my "Swift Hitch" camera and receiver. Since I solo, I often wonder if it'd be easier to have another set of eyes back there!
Hi BAB - I'm embarrassed to have forgotten the name, but a suggestion was made to have a brightly colored rope with a magnet on one end and a weight on the other. The magnet goes under the box and you draw a straight line with the rope back toward your TV (the weight holds it in position). Then in your backup cam, you can direct the stinger over the rope right to the box. I tried it and LOVE it! Spot on almost every time unless the sun is at a bad angle and washes out or shadows the stinger.
Old 06-24-2013, 07:17 PM   #620
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
The rope idea was Pahaska's and was posted in Bruce B's PP hitching video. Thanks, Pahaska!
Old 06-24-2013, 08:12 PM   #621
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Classic FB
Fredericksburg , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
thanks Morgan guy (please tell me you tow with one!!). Is the 4* angle due to a washer? I think you're saying you can also adjust the angle of the box by adjusting the WD jacks to accommodate any angle, yes?
No, the 4 degrees is due to a slope I have to back up to where the AS is parked on a level surface. Yes, I use the WD jacks to adjust the angle to match that of the stinger. Once you have done it a few times you will find that it gets easier every time.
Old 06-24-2013, 08:14 PM   #622
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Classic FB
Fredericksburg , Texas
I forgot to answer your first question. I am afraid my Morgan would flatten her tires if I tried to tow with it.
Old 06-24-2013, 09:15 PM   #623
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Hays County , Texas
I always hitch up solo. The rope and magnet trick is pure magic at night or when hooking up at a large angle such as in the little semi-circular sites in some of our state parks. It also helps at the storage barn when the trailer is in deep shadow and the TV in bright sun.

I never tried it with my former ball hitch, but it should work there as well when it isn't possible to simply line up the TV with the trailer body.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 12:55 AM   #624
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
Quote:
Here's a question for my fellow PP owners.

In an offline conversation with Sean, we came to the conclusion that washers behind the rivet were not needed for my setup. For those of you who have used 1 or more washers, how is your hitching up experience? I've notice that unless I'm really level as there is no WD applied, it is tricky at best to hitch up as the stinger gets caught in the box at an odd angle ad doesn't want to go in.

If you're using washers to lower the angle and apply more WD, do you make an adjustment to the box trailer side? If not, please describe your hitching experience. Thanks!!
put the stinker into the PP hitch without the tow vehicle and move the jacks uo and down and you'll see the stinger angle change, match the angle to the angle of the stinger when it is in the truck.
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 04:42 AM   #625
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by richinny

put the stinker into the PP hitch without the tow vehicle and move the jacks uo and down and you'll see the stinger angle change, match the angle to the angle of the stinger when it is in the truck.
Another great suggestion richinny! Thanks much - will play with that this weekend! Great wealth of knowledge on this forum!!
Old 06-25-2013, 07:47 PM   #626
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAB View Post
I continue to follow this thread as even with almost 2 years with my PP I continue to learn from everyone else. I've found that trying to have as straight an approach as possible makes the process simpler. If I've got much of an angle to deal with I'll use my "Swift Hitch" camera and receiver. Since I solo, I often wonder if it'd be easier to have another set of eyes back there!
My experience is that the second set of eyes spend most of their time arguing with the first set of eyes.

Ken
Old 06-26-2013, 04:30 PM   #627

My turn to ask for help

I have now been using the ProPride for nearly 4 years. I have had very little difficulty hitching.

However lately, I have been experiencing difficulty unhitching any time the truck and trailer are not on the same level piece of ground.

I have no difficulty hitching in this situation, because I can visually see the clearance between the four sides of the hitch stinger and the sides of the hitch box on the trailer.

Normally I unhitch by releasing all the tension on the WD jacks and then lowering the tongue jack onto the stand. I then raise the tongue jack with one hand while my other hand is wiggling the Rock Tamer extension bars. On the level, when all the weight is off the hitch, the extension bars will freely move the hitch within the excess play. However if the truck is on either an up slope or down slope in relation to the trailer, I often cannot locate this sweet spot.

I am eagerly awaiting any ideas or advice.

Ken
Old 06-26-2013, 04:36 PM   #628
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag&Au
I have now been using the ProPride for nearly 4 years. I have had very little difficulty hitching.

However lately, I have been experiencing difficulty unhitching any time the truck and trailer are not on the same level piece of ground.

I have no difficulty hitching in this situation, because I can visually see the clearance between the four sides of the hitch stinger and the sides of the hitch box on the trailer.

Normally I unhitch by releasing all the tension on the WD jacks and then lowering the tongue jack onto the stand. I then raise the tongue jack with one hand while my other hand is wiggling the Rock Tamer extension bars. On the level, when all the weight is off the hitch, the extension bars will freely move the hitch within the excess play. However if the truck is on either an up slope or down slope in relation to the trailer, I often cannot locate this sweet spot.

I am eagerly awaiting any ideas or advice.

Ken
I don't know if this would apply to you but this weekend when I went to unhitch I was SHOCKED to hear the sound of the jack digging rocks forward as my truck was moving forward! I reconnected the OCLs and 7-blade connector, backed it up to the right spot and liberally WD40d the hitch receiver and stinger head. I disconnected again and was able to unhitch just fine. I'm thinking of making that a regular practice (just the WD40 part).
Old 06-26-2013, 04:38 PM   #629
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Also forgot to mention, I think the "sweet spot" is when you raise the jack to the point where you can see (and it's VERY subtle) the coupler slide off the ball.
Old 06-26-2013, 05:46 PM   #630

Quote:
I don't know if this would apply to you but this weekend when I went to unhitch I was SHOCKED to hear the sound of the jack digging rocks forward as my truck was moving forward! I reconnected the OCLs and 7-blade connector, backed it up to the right spot and liberally WD40d the hitch receiver and stinger head. I disconnected again and was able to unhitch just fine. I'm thinking of making that a regular practice (just the WD40 part).
Thanks,

I will give that a try. I won't have to deal with this for a bit. We are going home on Friday and our driveway is basically level. My first test will be when we take the trailer back to storage next week. There is a problem there with the layout making the trailer level, but the rear wheels of the truck, higher than the front wheels.

Ken