Old 04-20-2013, 03:02 AM   #589
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Update: (copied from my intro thread)

Sean Woodruff (who probably deserves a medal) suggested a few things to help with the porpoising. MUCH much better. Was able to get 6" on the ProPride jacks and that made a ton of difference - except on Rte 88 in NY - sort of 80 miles of washboard. :grrrr: Slowed down to about 50 at points but that's a hopeless situation. Other than that, just towed like a dream!

Passed by dozens of 18 wheelers - not a hint of sway! By the way - people drive like crap trying to get around you in an RV - but you already knew that.

Scales on the way back - couldn't do it this morning.

Old 04-20-2013, 08:36 AM   #590
2 Rivet Member

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Dayton , Ohio
Same as Doug K. Returned the Andersen and ordered a 3P yesterday.

Old 04-23-2013, 11:16 AM   #591
2 Rivet Member

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Dayton , Ohio
7 or 6.5 inches on the WD jack, where is this measurement taken from? Bottom of the spring bar to the bottom of the jack?

Thanks
Old 04-23-2013, 12:23 PM   #592
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
I believe most people measure the amount of jack rise from either full down position, or totally relaxed position if the hitch is so setup.

Personally, I find it easier and more exact to count the number of turns on the jack.

"To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical."-- Thomas Jefferson
SteveH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 11:38 AM   #593
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Rockville , Maryland
I always start with the "number of rotations" then measure from the bottom of the jack to the bottom of its "lip" as it rises above the jack base.

As for Sean getting a "medal" - he deserving of the "lifetime achievement" award along with all the medals and trophies...
**I Love U.S.A.**
JFScheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 05:04 PM   #594
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Sorry I missed this. I'm measuring from the top of the a-frame to the bottom of the jack sleeve as it rises.
Old 04-30-2013, 04:47 AM   #595
2 Rivet Member

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Dayton , Ohio
Thanks
Old 04-30-2013, 12:03 PM   #596
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Rockville , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
Sorry I missed this. I'm measuring from the top of the a-frame to the bottom of the jack sleeve as it rises.

Perfect...
**I Love U.S.A.**
Old 05-01-2013, 07:07 PM   #597
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Ok, PP users, I could really use your help!

In the "at the scales" thread, with tons of expert advice, I've decided I'm going to drop the WD bars down in the rear to push more weight to the front axle of the TV. To do this, I need to move the bars from the middle hole on the Spring Bar Links to the top hole.

It seems to me the procedure would be:

1) zero tension on WD jacks
2) disconnect the tail end of the spring bar link on each WD bar by loosening the 3/8" u-bolt (two 3/8" lock nuts holding the u-bolt on to the tail end if the WD bar)
Question: do I want to put blocks under the WD bars so the heads of them that connect to the main hitch unit don't do anything funky?
3) lift the spring bar link off the WD jack hook and replace spring bar link so top hole is on the WD hack hook
4) reconnect the u-bolts to the tail end of the WD bars using the 3/8" washers and lock nuts, tightening firm then backing off a half turn per the PP installation instructions (p. 17)
5) reapply WD and take to the scales (having unlimited fun all along the way)

Picture below

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3803605444.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	604.6 KB
ID:	184728

(Ignore the pizza pan, this was day 1 - didn't have all the amenities yet :-) )

Does that procedure sound right to you??

Bear with me please, I'm not the world's most mechanically inclined guy...thanks!!
Old 05-06-2013, 10:07 PM   #598
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Rockville , Maryland
You actually would want to move to the hole lower so when you are jacking up the bars you get more vertical upwards movement.

But Wait - I swear when using my ProPride on my Touareg Sean told me to use the same hole, adjust the stinger so it at max angle (mine actually tilted the stinger downwards towards the pavement getting the max lift from my springer bars) and to use 1400 pound bars....

Give Sean a quick ring and see what he says-he is Awesome and the number two resource right after good old "2AirisHuman" just kidding Sean).
**I Love U.S.A.**
Old 05-07-2013, 04:03 AM   #599
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFScheck
You actually would want to move to the hole lower so when you are jacking up the bars you get more vertical upwards movement.
I thought I updated this thread with the solution? Must have been in the "at the scales" one...sorry. Yes, you're absolutely right, Sean has been excellent as have several forum members who generously reached out via PM.

It was the BOTTOM not the TOP hole. I was able to make that change and weigh it again at the scales. It did indeed put more weight on the front axle (100% FALR). But, my trailer was now 1.5" higher at the nose than the tail. :huh?:

Solved that with the great advice of this forum with a drop of the stinger by one bolt hole on the hitch assembly. Good news: 16" from frame to ground on all 4 corners The rest of the saga is in that other thread :clown-trombone:

But all is good. One more trip to the scales soon. Should have it all dialed in.

Thanks for your reply on the (incorrect) procedure!
Old 06-14-2013, 02:20 PM   #600
2 Rivet Member

Katy , Texas
I'm taking delivery of my PP this week. Pretty nervous about whether or not I'll be able to install it myself or not. I'm not a very handy guy. I'll keep you guys posted. Good thread, although, a lot of it is over my head.
Old 06-14-2013, 02:28 PM   #601
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Hays County , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeppelin View Post
I'm taking delivery of my PP this week. Pretty nervous about whether or not I'll be able to install it myself or not. I'm not a very handy guy. I'll keep you guys posted. Good thread, although, a lot of it is over my head.
I'm 80 years old and I installed mine myself. No strain at all. Hardest task was getting it down out of the pickup bed.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 04:49 PM   #602
2 Rivet Member

Katy , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahaska View Post
I'm 80 years old and I installed mine myself. No strain at all. Hardest task was getting it down out of the pickup bed.
I'm not worried about the physical aspect. I'm worried about the handyman aspect, when it comes to people needing to make little adjustments for the gas tanks, cutting things with grinders/saw, etc. If it's a matter of just measuring things and screwing them into place, I'm good. If I have to get to creative with an arsenal of tools, I might be a bit overmatched.