Old 11-23-2012, 04:56 PM   #575
Rivet Master

2002 25' Safari
Fountain Inn , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcrockett View Post
Hello,

I did not weigh the truck by itself but willing to check. I am using the #1400 bars. Should I put the steering axle on one scale and the rear axle on its own scale? Should the steer axle have less weight than the rear axle?

I lost the weight slip for the 7 inch height but the 6 and 6.5 are correct. Only thought I have is that perhaps they collected the weight before I jumped back on the scale. The intercom was the height for a normal big rig and I had to stand on the large pole off the scale to press the intercom button.

thank you!
Here is a link to scale information for a 2009 F150 Super Crew using a Propride hitch.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f464...lla-66840.html

Old 11-30-2012, 08:23 AM   #576
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Classic FB
Fredericksburg , Texas
New PP Owner + Hitching Aid

Received my hitch this week. Spent one hour the first day and got the stinger put together and jacks installed on A frame. One and a half hours next day to finish. Was able to hitch up on the first try. I used a tool I have for my wood working. It is a Wixey Digital Angle Gauge. It is about 2" x 2" x 1". It will measure the angle between two surfaces. I put it on the stinger and pushed the button to reset the angle to zero degrees. I then moved it to the hitch head and it read 6.7 degrees. I then used the jacks to raise the hitch head until it read zero degrees. I then backed right into the hitch. Haven't towed yet as I found that my chains are now 6" too short so have ordered the extensions from Sean.

Old 01-28-2013, 10:25 AM   #577
Cris

2013 27' FB International
Las Vegas , Nevada
New AS and ProPride Owner with Questions

As you can see from my number of posts, I'm a brand new Airstream owner (2013 27FB International). We had the ProPride hitch installed by the dealer prior to delivery -- which is a whole story on to itself, since they had never even seen one before. Anyway, I've read through this thread several times (as well as others) and find that I still have a few questions.

Here's the data:
CAT scale results for 2013 Yukon Denali w/o trailer, driver & passenger / full tank of gas: Steer Axle = 2,700 lbs / Drive Axle = 2,640 lbs.

CAT scale results w/ trailer empty (except full propane tanks) and WD bars (1400) set at 6": Steer Axle = 2,580 lbs / Drive Axle = 3,960 lbs / Trailer Axle = 5,460 lbs.

CAT scale results w/ WD bars set at 6.5": Steer Axle = 2,620 lbs / Drive Axle = 3,900 lbs / Trailer Axle = 5,460 lbs.

Questions:

(1) Tongue Weight: Based on the scale results, even with the WD set at 6.5", I have about 1,260 lbs of tongue weight w/ the Denali max being 1,100 lbs. Based on this measurement, I clearly need to get the tongue weight down a bunch. Initially, I used the Airstream stated tongue weight of 770 lbs + the shipping weight of the PP3 (285 lbs) to determine whether I would be over the 1,100 lb max for the Denali. At 1,055 lbs, I thought I was OK. However, a lot of discussion on the Forum seems to indicate that I may be cutting this a little too close. What's the consensus, is this a problem that can corrected with the WD adjusted??

(2) Weight Distribution Adjustment: We are heading out to AlumaFiesta in Tucson next week (first long-drive trip with the Airstream), so I'm going to stop at the CAT scales here in Las Vegas and try to re-calibrate the settings, starting with the bars set at 7" and at 7.5 ". The ride with the bars at 6.5" is great and the steer axle is only 80 lbs less than the unhitched weight (2,700 - 2,620) -- but with the tongue weight at 1,260 lbs (and trailer basically empty), I'm concerned. While I can try the 7" & 7.5" settings before we head out, what's the general limitation(s) on how high I set the WD jacks ??

As a new owner, I'm sure that I'll have more questions, but for now, I just want to be sure that we're heading down to road safely on this and future trips ...

Thanks in advance for comments & advise,

Cris
Old 01-29-2013, 12:47 AM   #578
1 Rivet Member

2012 27' Flying Cloud
Carnation , Washington
My first recommendation is to shoot this info to Sean Woodruff via email or give him a call. The man is a grand master at customer support and can help you dial this in faster than anyone.

I had a similar problem with a 27' FB Flying Cloud and Sean's advice to me was to crank the bars up. We did a 8700 mile trip around the country this summer with the bars set at 7.5in to get the weight shifted forward and returning the steering axle to the original weight.
Old 01-29-2013, 04:05 AM   #579
Rivet Master

2002 25' Safari
First, I agree you should call Sean and discuss your concerns with him. Do you have the instruction book that came with the Propride? I would carefully inspect the actual hitch installation vs. the installation manual. i.e. hitch stinger level with ground, etc...

Sean is very helpful and I know he can address your concerns. He is number one in customer service.

Did you weigh your rig without any tension on the WD bars? I don't see that you did a weight measurement you could calculate tongue weight from. With 6" adjustment on your WD bars, you have probably shifted tongue weight already. My Propride is installed where 6" on the jacks is my setting for towing normally with weight distribution set properly per CAT scale measurement.

Go to the scale and weigh the truck by itself. Then weigh the whole rig as you did but with the WD bars with absolutely no tension on the bars. Then you can calculate tongue weight.
Old 04-08-2013, 02:30 PM   #580
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
So I just gotta say, Sean went WAY above and beyond the call of duty this weekend. Bit of a glitch with the installation of the PP at the dealer (only 2 of 3 bolts in the hitch head). Had a BEAR of a time trying to figure it out. Sean spent a few hours with me by phone, text and photo shots troubleshooting and walking me through my endless questions. Ultimately, I got it settled with his help and am very very happy. I hope to have plenty more reports in this thread as a new PP user and many many miles of fun!!
Old 04-14-2013, 07:38 PM   #581
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Having finally taken the 27FB Flying Cloud for a decent ride, I went back to re-read this entire string (youch my head hurts!) and found a few posts re: porpoising or bucking. We have to get this rig to to the scales which I hope to do before this weekend. Until that time, the bucking issue is mildly annoying - doesnt happen all the time. Sometimes on a very smooth road it's non-existent. On roads with any kind of trouble, there is a noticeable feel of bucking or push/pull not related to braking to setting of the controller (in fact, I was bracing for "the bump" and it never happened - I believe we have the brake controller dialed in very well).

Some of the advice is to just slow down as roads transfer their signals and differences in distance between axles is what it is. I think I can live with it but the often used phrase "I couldn't tell it was behind me" didn't apply. Yes - absolutely no sway, but a noticeable amount of bucking.

Since this hitch was installed at the dealer and they let it out of the shop with only 2 of 3 required bolts in the receiver, I'm wondering if other elements of the install may be off. I had it done at the dealer because I'm not the most mechanically inclined guy on the planet and didn't want to leave something this important to chance. For example - Sean said i should start with 6" of lift on the 1000lb bars through the jacks but getting that is touch to achieve even with an 18v impact wrench. I'm also not sure I'm setting it up correctly when hitching/unhitching...

I'm wondering if there is an experienced PP user in the MA/CT area who wouldn't mind having a look at our setup and letting me know your thoughts? If so, please PM me. In the meantime, I'll of course reach out to Sean and will get to those scales ASAP.

Ps - TV is a Silverado 2500 z71 extended cab short box.
Old 04-14-2013, 08:30 PM   #582
Rivet Master

2002 25' Safari
I use the speed handle for the stabilizer jacks to adjust the tension on the bars. I set my bars to 6". My cordless DeWalt drill does not have the power to put the correct amount of tension on my hitch bars.

I have never had any bucking or porpoising while towing with the Propride.... that is other than the bucking you get from the awful pavement on the interstate inside many cities. The bucking I get while driving through Birmingham on I-65 has been similar with all the hitches I have tried.
Old 04-14-2013, 08:47 PM   #583
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
I raised the tongue with the tongue jack to take some pressure off the jacks, so the spring bars tension easier. Wondering if this is correct?

doug k
Old 04-14-2013, 08:52 PM   #584
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
I don't think there's a wrong way to do it, just whatever works for you.

I use a crank type wrench I made from a tire tool, and count turns instead of measuring. I tighten the bars before I raise the tongue jack.

"To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical."-- Thomas Jefferson
SteveH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 08:23 AM   #585
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Hays County , Texas
Quote:
- TV is a Silverado 2500 z71 extended cab short box.
I have a similar TV and a similar size trailer. I set the jacks, by eye, at about 6" +/- about 1/2" using the stabilizer jack crank. I have never had any bucking at any setting. The jacks set crank easier if you raise the tongue jack a bit before cranking them.

BTW, I have never felt any difference from the small variations in jack settings.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 08:49 AM   #586
Rivet Master

2002 25' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridgerunner3 View Post
I use the speed handle for the stabilizer jacks to adjust the tension on the bars. I set my bars to 6". My cordless DeWalt drill does not have the power to put the correct amount of tension on my hitch bars.

I have never had any bucking or porpoising while towing with the Propride.... that is other than the bucking you get from the awful pavement on the interstate inside many cities. The bucking I get while driving through Birmingham on I-65 has been similar with all the hitches I have tried.
My TV is a 2012 2500HD Crew Cab 4X4. Bars set at 6". My understanding is using the tongue jack to minimize the work for setting bar tension is not a problem.
Old 04-19-2013, 08:58 PM   #587
3 Rivet Member

1991 29' Excella
Akron , Ohio
Greetings, PP fans!

First let me say that I have read every single post to date on this thread BUT I have no real world experience YET. I bought my new-to-me Excella just last week and it's my first one. I towed it directly to a good A/S place for a few tweaks that I wanted to have done-just on the ball hitch taking it REAL easy.

I talked to them a few days later and they offered to order the Equalizer hitch for me in addition to the other tweaks. Not thinking much about it, I said OK. Next day, sort of a mental hard bump here, I thought, "After researching for months on the trailer you're going to buy the hitch without?" So I called back and cancelled the order thinking like the carpentering adage....Measure twice and cut once - so I'll research ten times and buy ONE hitch, not buy it to try it and then buy another....

After all that, I ordered by new ProPride hitch just this week. OK, only days of research. This thread has been a big help along with lots of other sites. Now I wait It's going to take 2-3 weeks to get all the parts and pieces delivered and put together. <sigh> My two sons (farmers) and I will be puzzling it out.

I'm SURE I will have a lot of questions what the time finally arrives! Meanwhile, I thought y'all might like to see this LEGO model of why the hitch works as it does: ProPride 3P Hitch Lego Model - YouTube

Signing off until installation time....
1991 Excella 29 foot w/ProPride 3P hitch
2006 Jeep Commander-V8 4.7L Tow package
aireseneca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 09:25 PM   #588
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Good move. I bought and ditched Equal-I-Zer and Andersen before I wised up.

doug k