Old 11-12-2012, 12:31 PM   #561
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
John, In the beginning with my hitch I tried measurements of the jacks, then marks, then measured sticks, but have settled on counting the turns from full down position. And, you will be surprised in the difference one turn makes on each jack.
I also count the turns. As Steve said, There is a fairly small range to go from feeling too bouncy, to feeling too stiff. If I don't like the ride when I first start out, I raise or lower one to three turns. That always improves the ride.

Ken

Old 11-12-2012, 02:27 PM   #562
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Hays County , Texas
I'm not about to count jack revolutions or unnecessarily run the jacks all the way down to the limit when disconnecting. I use a 24-volt drill with an adapter and a 3/4" socket to run up the jacks. I have measured from my truck wheel wells to the ground several times and a few jack turns make a negligable difference in the weight transferred.

WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 02:36 PM   #563
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridgerunner3 View Post
How many turns are you setting yours at?

I have been measuring jack travel. I have tried 5.5 and 6.0 inches. I don't notice any difference in truck handling with either setting. Both are great.

CAT scale readings have been confusing. I weighed the loaded for camping truck on one CAT scale and then weighed the entire rig on a different CAT scale. Scale weights did not make sense. I need to go back, start all over, and weigh at the same scale during the same trip to the scale.
I'm sure every one of them will be different, but mine seems best at 40 turns up from the bottom.
Old 11-12-2012, 04:56 PM   #564

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahaska View Post
I'm not about to count jack revolutions or unnecessarily run the jacks all the way down to the limit when disconnecting. I use a 24-volt drill with an adapter and a 3/4" socket to run up the jacks. I have measured from my truck wheel wells to the ground several times and a few jack turns make a negligable difference in the weight transferred.
I believe you will find however that a few turns will make a distinct difference in the comfort of the drive.

I use the crank that came with the trailer. It is intended for the stabilizer pads, but works great with the WD jacks.

Ken
Old 11-21-2012, 08:35 AM   #565
Toomuchfun

2005 19' Safari
2005 30' Classic
Cincinnati , Ohio
Just installed my Propride Hitch

Hello
Installed my Propride hitch and really did not run into any problems. Love the hitch it pulls like a dream although the hitch ball is a bit loose in the hitch of the airstream. Great thread that helped me and my friend install. I will provide pictures later because I would like to collect your opinions on the level of the hitch box. The AS is level front to back at 21 inches to side strip. Currently the trailer is in storage but I may be able to get over there this weekend. Reading through the threads and the great pictures helped immensely and I thank you all. I towed at the 7 inches.

2010 F150 SuperCrew with Max Towing package - two people on board full tank of gas.
2005 30' Classic winterized
CAT Scale numbers at 7 inches on the WD jack
Steer axle 3540
Drive axle 3420
Trailer axle 7040
CAT Scale numbers at 6.5 inches on the WD jack
Steer axle 3580
Drive axle 3440
Trailer axle 7040
CAT Scale numbers at 6 inches on the WD jack
Steer axle 3620
Drive axle 3460
Trailer axle 7040

Thank you,
Old 11-21-2012, 08:44 AM   #566
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Hays County , Texas
The numbers in the previous post back up my conviction that there is no need for any great precision in setting up the jacks. Certainly not to the extent of counting jack turns.

With my previous air hitch and substantially the same hitch length as the ProPride, a chain link in each direction was barely perceptable.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 09:13 AM   #567
Rivet Master

2002 25' Safari
Fountain Inn , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcrockett View Post
Hello
Installed my Propride hitch and really did not run into any problems. Love the hitch it pulls like a dream although the hitch ball is a bit loose in the hitch of the airstream. Great thread that helped me and my friend install. I will provide pictures later because I would like to collect your opinions on the level of the hitch box. The AS is level front to back at 21 inches to side strip. Currently the trailer is in storage but I may be able to get over there this weekend. Reading through the threads and the great pictures helped immensely and I thank you all. I towed at the 7 inches.

2010 F150 SuperCrew with Max Towing package - two people on board full tank of gas.
Steer axle 3540
Drive axle 3420
Trailer axle 7040
Steer axle 3580
Drive axle 3440
Trailer axle 7040
Steer axle 3620
Drive axle 3460
Trailer axle 7040

Thank you,
Did you weigh the truck without the trailer hooked to it. I would be interested to see how much weight transfer there is to the front axle of the truck with the hitch setup you have.

The steer axle weight seems a little heavy for an F150. You may be transferring too much weight to the front axle of the truck.
Old 11-21-2012, 09:16 AM   #568
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Hello

Steer axle 3540
Drive axle 3420
Trailer axle 7040
Steer axle 3580
Drive axle 3440
Trailer axle 7040
Steer axle 3620
Drive axle 3460
Trailer axle 7040

Thank you,
kcrockett,

I would like some expaination if you don't mind, as these numbers seem to be inverse of what I would expect. It seems your steer axle weight goes up, and your drive axle weight goes down as your jack measurements go down.

Either you are measuring your jacks differently than I would, or something else is amiss.

Also I have a question, what weight bars are you using with the hitch?
Thanks.
Old 11-21-2012, 09:36 AM   #569
ProPride, Inc.
Commercial Member

Grand Blanc , Michigan
Send a message via Skype™ to Sean Woodruff
Quote:
kcrockett,
I would like some expaination if you don't mind, as these numbers seem to be inverse of what I would expect. It seems your steer axle weight goes up, and your drive axle weight goes down as your jack measurements go down.

The 6" and 7" numbers must be transposed.
Tu ne cede malis
Sean Woodruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 07:57 AM   #570
Toomuchfun

2005 19' Safari
2005 30' Classic
Cincinnati , Ohio
Hello,

I did not weigh the truck by itself but willing to check. I am using the #1400 bars. Should I put the steering axle on one scale and the rear axle on its own scale? Should the steer axle have less weight than the rear axle?

I lost the weight slip for the 7 inch height but the 6 and 6.5 are correct. Only thought I have is that perhaps they collected the weight before I jumped back on the scale. The intercom was the height for a normal big rig and I had to stand on the large pole off the scale to press the intercom button.

thank you!
Old 11-23-2012, 08:06 AM   #571
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahaska View Post
John, You are right that a few turns makes little difference in the front fender height measurement, but in my experience with the hitch, a few turns on the jacks makes a difference in the ride and handling.

A friend of mine also uses a drill to adjust his weight distribution jacks, so we put a piece of black electrical tape on the socket used in his drill, and with the black tape on the socket he can easily count the turns of the drill as the "black spot" goes around. Just a thought.
Old 11-23-2012, 08:39 AM   #572

Quote:
John, You are right that a few turns makes little difference in the front fender height measurement, but in my experience with the hitch, a few turns on the jacks makes a difference in the ride and handling.

.................................................. .............................

I do my best to not agree with Steve, but in this case I am forced to.

My experience backs what he is saying exactly. It may have something to do the fact that his trailer and tow vehicle are nearly identical to mine.

Ken
Old 11-23-2012, 10:28 AM   #573
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' FB International
Carrboro , North Carolina
Wanted to recommend ProPride. Great and fast customer service. Wish more companies worked like that!
Bob.
Old 11-23-2012, 04:07 PM   #574
Rivet Master

2002 25' Safari
Fountain Inn , South Carolina
Quote:
Hello,

I did not weigh the truck by itself but willing to check. I am using the #1400 bars. Should I put the steering axle on one scale and the rear axle on its own scale? Should the steer axle have less weight than the rear axle?

I lost the weight slip for the 7 inch height but the 6 and 6.5 are correct. Only thought I have is that perhaps they collected the weight before I jumped back on the scale. The intercom was the height for a normal big rig and I had to stand on the large pole off the scale to press the intercom button.

thank you!
Steering axle and drive axle should be on different pads. There have been times that I have had a problem getting a CAT scale to weigh the pickup truck by itself.If you stand on the steer axle pad the scale will add all of your weight to the steering axle calculation (not the same as you sitting in the truck cab). I would keep my body off the scale while weighing unless your are sitting in the cab while weighing. My experience is that the clerk weighs the rig immediately upon finishing he discussion with you about the weighing.

If the bed of the truck is lightly loaded, and no trailer hooked up, the steering axle will typically weigh more than the drive axle.

I believe your steering axle will weigh around 3200 - 3400# and your drive axle will run around 2500 - 2600# with an unloaded truck. This is just my estimate based on some of my personal experience. Maybe there will be some folks with a truck similiar to yours share their CAT scale truck weights. Only the scales will tell the actual answer.