Old 10-26-2012, 06:57 PM   #519
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Hays County , Texas
The hitch arrived about 1:00 this afternoon. Great packing job! Unfortunately, the weather was miserable; cold, windy, and spitting rain.

I have the stinger on the truck and set up. Everything else except the hitch head is in my car trunk to go to the storage yard after breakfast with my fellow vets in the morning. I'll get a friend to help me boost the hitch head onto the stinger and install that Sunday morning.

WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 12:45 PM   #520
Rivet Master

Hays County , Texas
The A-frame is all decorated and waiting for the hitch head. Everything went on easily. I would install the head this afternoon, but I have a conflict. It will go on in the morning.

The only hitch was that the locking bolts for the WD jacks were far too long and would hit the storage box. I bought 1 1/2" bolts at Tractor Supply to replace them. Note to Sean: Even if the A-frame was a C-channel, the supplied bolts are far longer than will be ever needed.

While at Tractor Supply, I bought a set of the magnetic telescoping tennis balls for hookup for the amazing price of $2.99 and a couple years supply of lithium grease..

WBCCI #9632
Old 10-27-2012, 12:52 PM   #521
3 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Kanata , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahaska View Post
Note to Sean: Even if the A-frame was a C-channel, the supplied bolts are far longer than will be ever needed.
I agree - I don't see where bolts of this length would be an advantage. During my install I needed a late night run to Home Depot to get shorter bolts.
Old 10-27-2012, 01:19 PM   #522
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxTow View Post
I agree - I don't see where bolts of this length would be an advantage. During my install I needed a late night run to Home Depot to get shorter bolts.
Just a guess, but I imagine that some SOBs and other trailer types have deeper frames than Airstreams, I don't know what portion of ProPride orders are for Airstreams, but I'm guessing it is only a small percentage.

Ken
Old 10-27-2012, 03:43 PM   #523
3 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Kanata , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by w7ts View Post
Just a guess, but I imagine that some SOBs and other trailer types have deeper frames than Airstreams, I don't know what portion of ProPride orders are for Airstreams, but I'm guessing it is only a small percentage.

Ken
There's a maximum width frame that the jack will fit over - even at maximum width, and a 'C' cross section as suggested by Pahaska, the bolt is still too long. Even so - given the cost of the hitch, throwing in a couple of shorter bolts would be appreciated.

As for percentage of purchases being for Airstreams...a somewhat related story. I put my trailer into winter storage today. Talking with the operator of the storage facility, I was explaining that he was not going to be able to move the trailer using his standard hitch ball equipment.

He was vaguely aware of the propride and equivalent hitches - saying they appeared to be common with "those silver trailers".
Old 10-27-2012, 04:24 PM   #524

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxTow View Post
There's a maximum width frame that the jack will fit over - even at maximum width, and a 'C' cross section as suggested by Pahaska, the bolt is still too long. Even so - given the cost of the hitch, throwing in a couple of shorter bolts would be appreciated.

As for percentage of purchases being for Airstreams...a somewhat related story. I put my trailer into winter storage today. Talking with the operator of the storage facility, I was explaining that he was not going to be able to move the trailer using his standard hitch ball equipment.

He was vaguely aware of the propride and equivalent hitches - saying they appeared to be common with "those silver trailers".
My trailer is not here, so I looked at my manual. You are correct. My theory was hatched by a mind that didn't have the picture. I however refuse to take responsibility. It was my brain's fault.

Ken
Old 10-27-2012, 06:23 PM   #525
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
An effect of encephalopathy per cat scratch fever. Careful, now . . . .
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 06:24 PM   #526
3 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Kanata , Ontario
Quote:
My trailer is not here, so I looked at my manual. You are correct. My theory was hatched by a mind that didn't have the picture. I however refuse to take responsibility. It was my brain's fault.

Ken
No worries - out of sight, out of mind.

I too had to go back and look at the photos at the beginning of this thread to remind me of the construction. I can no longer just run out to the driveway as the trailer has been moved to covered storage for the pending snow.
Old 10-27-2012, 06:26 PM   #527
3 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Kanata , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by REDNAX View Post
An effect of encephalopathy per cat scratch fever. Careful, now . . . .
I'll pretend I understood that without the help of google...

One learns far more than just about Airstreams on this forum.
Old 10-28-2012, 04:50 PM   #528
Rivet Master

Hays County , Texas
All installed

Everything went together easily this morning and a couple of test hookups using my backup camera went perfectly. I haven't towed yet since I ran out of time before meeting a friend for lunch. I did find that I will need to raise the stinger one more hole than the calculated setting to make the trailer ride level.

The only problem I have is that the U-bolts for the frame bracket are under the propane tanks and I will need a spacer of some sort to prevent wearing slots in the aluminum tanks. The tanks set right on the frame. My first thought is to cut two circles out of some scrap 1/2" marine plywood I have in the shop, mark the U-bolt location from underneath, and cut a slot with the sabre saw so that the circles will lie flat. The tanks will then be sitting on wood and not touch the U-bolts. How did others address this problem? If anyone has a magic solution I would be glad to hear it.
WBCCI #9632
Old 10-28-2012, 05:00 PM   #529

Quote:
Everything went together easily this morning and a couple of test hookups using my backup camera went perfectly. I haven't towed yet since I ran out of time before meeting a friend for lunch. I did find that I will need to raise the stinger one more hole than the calculated setting to make the trailer ride level.

The only problem I have is that the U-bolts for the frame bracket are under the propane tanks and I will need a spacer of some sort to prevent wearing slots in the aluminum tanks. The tanks set right on the frame. My first thought is to cut two circles out of some scrap 1/2" marine plywood I have in the shop, mark the U-bolt location from underneath, and cut a slot with the sabre saw so that the circles will lie flat. The tanks will then be sitting on wood and not touch the U-bolts. How did others address this problem? If anyone has a magic solution I would be glad to hear it.
Check post # 219. It has worked will for me.

Ken
Old 10-28-2012, 06:06 PM   #530
Rivet Master

Hays County , Texas
Quote:
Check post # 219. It has worked will for me.

Ken
Thanks, but that is not my problem. Post #219 addresses the jacks, but I am talking about the U-bolts for the frame bracket that are directly under the propane tanks. I'll take a photo when I next get to the storage yard.

My proposed fix for my problem would raise the tanks 1/2" and directly address the post #219 problem as a side effect.

BTW: I lived in Boulder, Longmont, and Carter Lake for some years before moving to Austin with IBM in 1981.
WBCCI #9632
Old 10-28-2012, 06:16 PM   #531
Rivet Master

2002 25' Safari
Fountain Inn , South Carolina
Quote:
Everything went together easily this morning and a couple of test hookups using my backup camera went perfectly. I haven't towed yet since I ran out of time before meeting a friend for lunch. I did find that I will need to raise the stinger one more hole than the calculated setting to make the trailer ride level..

I installed my 3P about 10 days ago. I had to increase my stinger one hole also to level the trailer when the WD bars where set about right. The install is pretty straight forward on the 3P. I still need to head to the scales to dial the WD in. Initial guess setting on WD seem to be close. It's a really fine piece of equipment.

Mine already had a spacers under the propane tank rack to accommodate the U-bolts for the old style dual cam hitch arms.
Old 10-28-2012, 07:24 PM   #532
3 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Kanata , Ontario
Quote:
Thanks, but that is not my problem. Post #219 addresses the jacks, but I am talking about the U-bolts for the frame bracket that are directly under the propane tanks. I'll take a photo when I next get to the storage yard.

My proposed fix for my problem would raise the tanks 1/2" and directly address the post #219 problem as a side effect.

BTW: I lived in Boulder, Longmont, and Carter Lake for some years before moving to Austin with IBM in 1981.
There was a fix suggest in post #40. I used a similar method - substiuting washers instead of two bolts. I also installed longer maching screws into the A-Frame to insure a sufficient number of threads.