Old 09-08-2012, 08:12 PM   #477
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by richinny View Post
why not use the propride on the substitute tow vehicle?
That may be a possibility. What started all this was me trying to plan ahead. I got to thinking about the truck breaking down while towing and the truck and trailer needed to be towed separately. I'm guessing that the tow truck might have a receiver, but could also just have a ball attached to a welded bumper. I saw a picture of a large auto carrier with a pickup on the bed and towing a fairly large travel trailer. It was on some roadside service web site. So that made me think "what if"?

Ken

Old 09-12-2012, 02:08 PM   #478
3 Rivet Member

2015 30' Flying Cloud
Ventura , California
A frame hole repair

2airishuman, I have removed a Hensley Arrow from my 28' Safari. I plan to install a ProPride. You mentioned repairing holes in the A frame. How do you do that? Any trouble getting the stinger out of the box when unhitching? Ron

Old 09-12-2012, 04:00 PM   #479
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
I believe that 2air has left the building.

In general the holes can be easily welded shut. It only takes a few minutes.

Overall the ProPride hitch seems to exhibit fewer problems with stuck stingers than the HAHA.
Old 09-12-2012, 06:34 PM   #480

Quote:
Originally Posted by rp709 View Post
2airishuman, I have removed a Hensley Arrow from my 28' Safari. I plan to install a ProPride. You mentioned repairing holes in the A frame. How do you do that? Any trouble getting the stinger out of the box when unhitching? Ron
I have never had a problem getting it out. Getting in back in may at times requires patience. Getting it out is easy once you learn to recognize to point where it is supporting itself and not pushing up or down on the trailer tongue.
Old 09-12-2012, 07:32 PM   #481
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
...and with a TV that has an "autolevel" feature (as does my Infinity QX 56), I ALWAYS allow the auto level to do its thing before I separate the TV from the AS....otherwise it can get moderately noisy when the TV separates and it is higher (or lower) than the trailer. Am on a long trip right now. Had around 25-30 MPH wind gusts most of the day yesterday driving north from Iowa into Minnesota....wind was broadsiding the trailer, and at one point a semi blew around me -- the gust was strong enough to fold my outside mirror against the car (not the McKesh) -- a LOT of wind. You wouldn't have known it from the driver's seat, as the trailer was solid as a rock. Amazing performance! (Thanks, Sean!) Barry
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 10:47 AM   #482
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Brecksville , Ohio
Service Adaptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattonsr View Post
Greg,

Ask Sean if he has his service adapter ready for sale. On 10-13 I heard he was ready to release it. It allows the trailer to be towed at low speeds on a hitch ball.

Barry
This quote was from a year ago. Does anyone have any update on the availability of the "service adaptor" or "lot bar" for PP?
Old 10-10-2012, 11:47 AM   #483

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigershark View Post
This quote was from a year ago. Does anyone have any update on the availability of the "service adapter" or "lot bar" for PP?
I have not heard anything new as yet.
I initially thought this would be a must have, Since then I have taken a closer look at the hitch mounting. My concern initially was that I would have to go through a complete setup again if I removed it from the trailer to be serviced. However, I believe the hitch head with the weight bars still attached could be detached from the trailer in about 10-15 minutes. No adjustment would be effected. The jacks and rear yoke support bracket could remain in place. Reattaching it should be a similar ten or so minutes.

My other thought is to use a plain hitch receiver tube:

and have a hitch socket welded to it.

Obviously some research would be necessary to ensure there was sufficient strength.

Ken
Old 10-19-2012, 06:27 PM   #484
Rivet Master

2002 25' Safari
Fountain Inn , South Carolina
My Propride hitch arrived this afternoon. I am about 75% finished with installing the parts. Fine tuning should start tomorrow afternoon. This thread and Sean's instructions have been very helpful with the install. Sean emailed me the instructions when I ordered the hitch, so I had several days to study the instructions and this thread. The planning and studying have paid off so far. I am running into the same common issues with the install.... 3.5" jack adjustment bolts too long for battery case location, propane tank tray needs to be elevated. I split a Craftsmen 15/16" socket while torquing the stinger bolts.

I spent the last few days sanding and painting the A frame and clearing the old dual cam hitch equipment off of the A frame. The hitch was extremely well packed for shipping. All of the parts appear to be top quality. Fit and finish is very good.

I am really looking forward to the improved towing experience everyone tells me about with this hitch.
Old 10-20-2012, 07:21 PM   #485
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
If we fill in the blanks, it will be easier:

(via the ever-handy Ron Gratz chart)

Weighing #1 -- TT attached and Weight Distribution Activated

Let Front Axle Load be "FA1"

Let Rear Axle Load be "RA1"

Let TT Axles Load be "TT1"

Then, while in same position on scales, take
Weighing #2 -- TT attached and Weight Distribution Not Activated

Let Front Axle Load be "FA2"

Let Rear Axle Load be "RA2"

Let TT Axles Load be "TT2"

Then, drive off scales and drop TT. Return to scales and take
Weighing #3 -- TV only -- TT Not Attached

Let Front Axle Load be "FA3"

Let Rear Axle Load be "RA3"

From the above values, you can calculate:

TV weight = FA3 + RA3

Gross Combined Weight = (FA1 + RA1 + TT1)
- should also be equal to (FA2 + RA2 + TT2) if scale weights are correct

TT Weight = Gross Combined Weight - TV Weight

Tongue Weight = (FA2 + RA2) - (FA3 + RA3), or

Load Transferred to TT Axles
when WD System in Activated = TT1 - TT2

Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 07:51 PM   #486
3 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Kanata , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1grlscout View Post
Platform Weight
1. 2900
2. 4320
3. 5620
4. 12840
Presumably #1 is Front Axle, #2 is Rear Axle, #3 is Trailer Axle(s) and #4 is Combined Weight.

Do you have the front and rear axle measurements from your trip to the CAT scales? (I'm assuming without the trailer).

Without knowing your vehicle, it looks like your weight distribution is not working. That would suggest that the hitch is not installed correctly. Had the professionals that installed your hitch actually installed one before?

I discussed with the service manager of a very well known (non-AS) dealer about installing mine - he had never heard of ProPride or Hensley. These are very niche products.

Post some photos of the hitch - there's lots of folks who are very familar with the ProPride hitch.

(I ended up installing my own in a campground very far from home where I purchased my AS).
Old 10-20-2012, 08:11 PM   #487
Rivet Master

2002 25' Safari
Fountain Inn , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1grlscout View Post
I should have previewed.
The paper that I was given shows the platform at the left and weight at the right, so the numbers should be underneath the weight.
I am in the process of installing and tuning a Propride hitch this weekend. So I have a little bit of experience.

What Rednax has told you is exactly correct.

Have you looked closely at the pictures in this thread to see if your trailer when hooked to your tow vehicle looks similar?

What are you using for a tow vehicle? Can you post pictures of your trailer and tow vehicle hooked up. Post pictures from a distance to show how level (or unlevel) the tow vehicle and trailer are. Also post a closeup of the hitch from the side on a level plane.
Old 10-21-2012, 11:44 AM   #488
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Charlotte , North Carolina
Sorry, I thought that I would be notified if someone responded (like private messages).
I have tons of pictures but do not know how to transfer. I tried 'copy/paste' and it is blank. I will search airforum for answer and try to organize photos to make sense, before adjustments, after wt. distribution max (3 concerned fellow campers worked on it, one from Canada who thought I should drive to Can-Am). The trailers nose was lifted some.
The professionals that installed my hitch actually sell only the ProPride and the Hensley. I told Kevin Amaro, the maintenance man that installed, that it was not level, but they were really busy and said I worried too much. I insisted because I knew that the trailer and tow vehicle were supposed to be level, and he told me how to tighten it, but said only 2 inches. When Sean said to keep tightening/raising the bars, I was really surprised, but the campground helpers raised them about 5 inches more (I marked everything with tape).
My tow vehicle was a 2011 Toyota Land Cruiser and the reason I have not asked for advice. I was told by private message that I would get h__ for using it as a tow vehicle, although the dealership thought it was fine. I sold it immediately to CarMax and left the brake controller, told them the story and they were not worried about the 600 mi. trip with the RA1 (RADNAX) overloaded, so I guess it was not damaged. I would not have been able to trust the installation of the brake controller and, if I ever tow again, I want everything to be set up correctly. I am reading about Tundras and F-series trucks, but will take my time. Now that I know that towing IS Rocket Science.
I have measurements from 2 different CAT Scales while hooked up, on my way home, and they recorded the STEER AXLE as the SUV (i.e. 7140), the DRIVE AXLE as the trailer (i.e.. 5580), 00 lb for the trailer axle, then GROSS WEIGHT (i.e. 12720). That is why I went to the Weight Station for trucks. An official came out and said that they did not weigh travel trailers and I told him that I needed the axles before I unhitched and sold the car, so he weighed it and yelled out the numbers. I asked him to please write them down and he begrudgingly ran everything off on an official form. I can scan them if anyone would like. I'll post some pictures next.
Old 10-21-2012, 02:20 PM   #489
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
photos #1 and #2 (left to right) were taken before any adjustments

photos #3, 4, 5 and 7 were taken after I raised the weight distribution bars about 3" (they were taped at 6" originally)

photo #6 (with all the leaves) is at the KOA Campground in Fredericksburg after the bars were raised as far as possible, 24-25" from the bottom of the cylinder to the headpiece. The nose of the trailer lifted some at this point and I forgot about photos and became focused on weights.

After the service dept at a truck stop was able to readjust the coupler, so that 2 holes showed at the top instead of one (as in photos), as was Sean's advice, the trailer weight was reduced but 20 lb was added to the SUV? I weighed at the same place that did the adjustment, before and after, and the gross weight is different, also. If anyone is interested, I will scan these and post because they guarantee their weights and I would not have expected a difference of 100 lb. Another reason I went to the govt. scales.
I honestly appreciate the comments made. Not many people are interested in what seems to be minutia. That is, not until you are on an interstate highway after dark with huge trucks blowing past you. The box trucks are the worst. No one mentioned those or the huge RVs.
Attached Images

Old 10-21-2012, 02:26 PM   #490
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
I posted and a message came up that said it had to be approved by a moderator. I guess for pictures of naked girls?
There are 7 photos and I tried to give sufficient information to describe when they were taken, before and after which adjustments. As I said, in the unread post, I appreciate the comments made and the astute questions asked.