Old 05-14-2012, 09:09 AM   #449
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
A ProPride Hitch Performance Story

I'll try to keep this brief....While on a trip to the Northeast last fall, we and friends (also pulling an Airstream using a PP) were traveling thru Pennsylania on a "scenic" back road doing about 50 mph. We were decending a slight hill and began to round a curve when all of a sudden there was a line of traffic stopped dead in the road ahead of us. (We were coming into a little town come to find out, and the warning signs in PA are less than what we're accustomed to here in TX.)

I slammed on the brakes as hard as I could while thinking maybe I should swerve to the Left and go around, but deciding if I was going to have a wreck, I'd rather hit the last car in the line in the rear, than have a head on collision. Holding the brake pedal down as hard as I could, I was bracing for a collision with the car, all the while thinking I would also be hit in the rear by my friends.

Fortunately, the rig just stopped, with no sway, no wiggle, no nothing, just stopped. My friend behind me said he was also bracing for a collision with us, but he was also able to stop also with his foot on the floor.

While talking about the event at the next rest stop (after changing our shorts), we both noted how well the trailers behaved in what was an all out, panic, emergency stop.

While we both wished it had never happened, we were both very thankful to be towing Airstreams equipped with ProPride hitches.

I was towing a 28' Classic with a 3/4 ton GMC, and my friends were towing a 31' Classic SO with a 3/4 ton Dodge. I've been towing trailers of some kind or another since '71, and nothing I have used to date performs as well as the ProPride hitch.

Old 05-14-2012, 04:29 PM   #450
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Eugene , Oregon
Wow, Steve, that does sound like a loaded-shorts-moment! It's that kind of thing that finally convinced me that the PP is, in fact, cheap. One should't compare the price of the PP to another hitch, but to the cost what happens when the trailer fishtails in a crappy situation!

Old 05-14-2012, 05:41 PM   #451
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Eugene , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by w7ts View Post
It's sort of hard to tell with the shadows, but it sure looks good from here.

Ken
Okay, so I downloaded the photo on my computer and played with it some. Here's a version with fewer shadows.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6606.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	516.3 KB
ID:	158387  
Old 05-14-2012, 07:49 PM   #452
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by phbarnhart View Post
Okay, so I downloaded the photo on my computer and played with it some. Here's a version with fewer shadows.
It looks great from here.

Your trailer is riding higher than mine does. Is there anything in it?

Here is what ours looks like fully (at least) loaded.

Click on it 3 times, it gets really big.

Ken
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0118.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	273.5 KB
ID:	158418  
Old 05-14-2012, 09:31 PM   #453
banjobill

2000 30' Limited
battle ground, , Washington
first report

1) bought a 2000 excella classic 30ft'r in chicago (don't ask why)
2) had Sean drop ship a PPP to chicago. (it arrived on time as promised)
3) took me and my bud about 3 hours to install. and swag settings
4) left Sat am for Portland, OR and Battle Ground WA.
5) 2200+ miles with swag settings-no sway, 10x10 to the 6th semis, and roughly 65 mph sustained, 14 hour days.
6) made it home 5 pm monday, may 14.

Best tow I have ever made. Thank you Sean, Hensley, and ProPride.

Minor WD adj took all porpoising out, too. dang, I am almost scared to weigh and set up trailer "scientifically" it tows that good. Yes, I agree with the placebo effect and Sean, I have some questions, but will get to that later. At 2200miles, I have only 300 more to go to make it $1 per mile. cheap. btw, gas was never more than 369/gal EXCEPT IN OREGON-420!!! What's up with that?

hmmm, need to change avatar...
Old 05-14-2012, 11:09 PM   #454
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Eugene , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by w7ts View Post
It looks great from here.

Your trailer is riding higher than mine does. Is there anything in it?

Here is what ours looks like fully (at least) loaded.

Click on it 3 times, it gets really big.

Ken
Yes, the Eddie Bauer's are a little higher. I think that the reason is the 16" wheels with larger tires, I think that the rational is that people who buy them want to venture a little farther off the highway than most. I'm thinking it's a gimmick personally.
Old 05-14-2012, 11:14 PM   #455
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Eugene , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmarsha View Post
1) EXCEPT IN OREGON-420!!!
Yeah, gas is getting a little nuts here right now. It's gone up about .20 in the last week or so.
Old 05-15-2012, 06:10 AM   #456
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by phbarnhart View Post
Wow, Steve, that does sound like a loaded-shorts-moment! It's that kind of thing that finally convinced me that the PP is, in fact, cheap. One should't compare the price of the PP to another hitch, but to the cost what happens when the trailer fishtails in a crappy situation!
Yes, I shudder to think about would could have happened without the ProPride and good brakes. It's a situation that I hope never repeats itself, but it is comforting to know how the rig will handle in a bind.
Old 05-24-2012, 12:17 PM   #457
3 Rivet Member

2010 28' International
Richmond Hill , Georgia
Based on this thread and other recommendations I ordered the 3P, what's been everybody's experience on how long the build/delivery typically takes? I'm anxious to get it installed and take the 28ft International and our new TV (QX56) to the scales for some weights.
Old 05-24-2012, 12:23 PM   #458
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
IMHO, the assembly does not take as long as reading and understanding the instructions, but I'm not a good study in understanding instructions.

I would suggest going back in this thread and looking at all the instruction pictures because it will help you a lot if you understand it before you start reading the instructions.

The shipping will be just what UPS says it will be, but be prepared the boxes are heavy. It will help if you have a floor jack to lift the main hitch part into the trailer connector, and another person.
Old 05-27-2012, 09:42 PM   #459
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Eugene , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcarter View Post
Based on this thread and other recommendations I ordered the 3P, what's been everybody's experience on how long the build/delivery typically takes? I'm anxious to get it installed and take the 28ft International and our new TV (QX56) to the scales for some weights.
It took a few weeks (3?) from order to delivery. 2nd what was said about about the weight of the boxes, and about going back to the beginning of this thread to look at 2 air's instructions and pictures.
Old 07-14-2012, 11:40 AM   #460
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Guess nothings perfect?

While coming back thru the Panhandle of Texas the day before yesterday, and after about 50 thousand sway-free miles towing with the ProPride, we expereinced our first sway event.

Driving South on US84 between Slaton and Post, TX, doing about 70MPH, we were hit by a whirl wind, or as known in these parts, a dust devil. It was a pretty strong one. I saw it coming at us, and wasn't too concerned, but was ready for it. The whole thing lasted about two seconds, but the trailer and truck were oscellating back and forth over the entire lane. After the dust devil was gone, the sway was gone.

I will add this was not a typical sway where the trailer was trying to steer the truck, but one where the trailer AND truck were oscellating back and forth, in line, with the trucks front axel as the pivot point. I never felt out of control, but I would have to say it was a sway.
Old 07-14-2012, 12:03 PM   #461
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
While coming back thru the Panhandle of Texas the day before yesterday, and after about 50 thousand sway-free miles towing with the ProPride, we expereinced our first sway event.

Driving South on US84 between Slaton and Post, TX, doing about 70MPH, we were hit by a whirl wind, or as known in these parts, a dust devil. It was a pretty strong one. I saw it coming at us, and wasn't too concerned, but was ready for it. The whole thing lasted about two seconds, but the trailer and truck were oscellating back and forth over the entire lane. After the dust devil was gone, the sway was gone.

I will add this was not a typical sway where the trailer was trying to steer the truck, but one where the trailer AND truck were oscellating back and forth, in line, with the trucks front axel as the pivot point. I never felt out of control, but I would have to say it was a sway.
I'm not sure that I would call that sway. A dust devil is a small scale tornado. If a tornado picked up your TV and TT and took off with them, would that be extreme sway. If you are traveling south, the first effect would be a a strong wind on TV pushing it to the right, immediately joined by an additional strong wind pushing the trailer to the right while the wind on the truck has changed to pushing it to the left. As you exit the DD, the trailer is hit by strong wind blowing it to the left. It is pretty hard to compensate for all of that within a second with a projected pivot point unless it is projected about a 100 yards away from you. I think If I am on a collision course with a dust devil, I will pull over. Glad you made it.
My degree is in meteorology, but that does not make this an expert opinion.

Ken
Old 07-14-2012, 03:46 PM   #462
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Ken,

Yes, I agree it was an extreem condition, and like I said, it was not the typical trailer sway where the trailer tried to steer the truck. The whole rig seemed to vear from side to side.

IMHO, it is good to know the outfit can sustain such a violent wind condition. Of course, I don't know what would have happened had I been using any other hitch.

Regards,
Steve