Old 05-01-2012, 09:27 AM   #435
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
- Safety chains were too short (the 7 pin connector cable was actually the perfect length). Solution: two 11" sections of chain (rated at 4700lbs each) from the hardware/home improvement store and two clevis link (also 4700lbs rating).

Each chain must be able to control (working load) the TT GVWR.

Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 11:37 AM   #436
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Eugene , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by REDNAX View Post
- Safety chains were too short (the 7 pin connector cable was actually the perfect length). Solution: two 11" sections of chain (rated at 4700lbs each) from the hardware/home improvement store and two clevis link (also 4700lbs rating).

Each chain must be able to control (working load) the TT GVWR.
I guess that I should start looking for other options then. I guess that's what I get for not asking.

Old 05-01-2012, 03:50 PM   #437
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Eugene , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by phbarnhart

I guess that I should start looking for other options then. I guess that's what I get for not asking.
I emailed Sean and he's going to send me a chain extension kit. Fantastic service again.
Old 05-01-2012, 05:36 PM   #438
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by phbarnhart View Post
It can be the small things like safety chains (or that breakaway switches have a lifespan of three years) that can make forums like these worthwhile. I don't wish to learn from the wrecker driver about this when the accident clean up involves my vehicle. (There are also a couple of threads on these, each, worth the time, now, as the TT & TV are being set up).
Old 05-03-2012, 08:59 PM   #439
2 Rivet Member

2008 16' International
Seattle , Washington
installed; pic; comments

Ok I my 16 year old son helped me with the install... and he did a great job. An extra set of strong hands is very helpful. However his patience for photographs after 4+ hours was thin so I only go this one which shows the Ford better than the Airstream.

Thanks to the AirForum, I ended up connecting with Timberock and was able to see his setup including the process of swapping out the WD bars. He was incredibly generous with his time and tips... including providing extra hardware he had for the propane tank tray screw, washers etc. Hopefully we'll connect up again on the road. For anyone contemplating an install, I found it really helpful to look at an installed unit in person and talk through the details of the install. If you are in the Seattle area you are welcome see mine schedule permitting.

After too much obsessing I went with Sean's suggestion and installed the 1400lb bars. They work great for the F-150 and 25' EB; the whole ride is smooth as butter. My advice: save the hand wringing and go with Sean's recommendation.

My only additions to the previous comments on the install:

- When attaching the Yoke to the Main Hitch Unit with the big 3/4" bolts, the included big washers go on both sides of the Yoke. This is probably intuitive but is different the the picture in the Installation Instructions. Sean verified this was correct.

- When pushing the big 3/4" bolts through the Main Hitch Unit, I had difficulty with one and used a rubber mallet to "help it through" which was a mistake. There was a big burr / excess welding material on the inside and I screwed up the bolt trying to jam it through. Don't force it... check it. You might bring a round metal file in your install kit if you have one.

- I ran into the same situation that phbarnhart did when trying to achieve 250lbs torque on the big bolt on one side. The lock plate was just far enough away and not quite positioned properly for it to hold under strong pressure. I jammed the back of my hammer in the space on the other side to stop the spinning; it seemed to work even thought I couldn't get to 250lbs. Sean said it was fine.

- My electrical connection had plenty of length after a slight re-routing and needed no extension. I used 5400lb SWL chain and 5400 clevis from Lowes; 9" chain extension plus the clevis worked perfectly. (I'm confused about the comments above on chain... the tags on the chain that come with my trailer say the chain is rated to 3900lbs SWL. Isn't anything above 3900lbs SWL good?)

The set up looks good other than the trailer being a bit nose high. I'm not positive the setup space at the dealer was perfectly level. This coming weekend I'm going to hit the scales and find some level ground and get it all dialed-in. My sense is that I'm pretty close.

Thanks again for the great guide and all the collective wisdom! Initial driving impressions of the ProPride are very positive. BTW, no problem hooking up so far, tried this a number of times. Great product.

bc_seattle
Old 05-04-2012, 08:48 AM   #440
ProPride, Inc.
Commercial Member

Grand Blanc , Michigan
Send a message via Skype™ to Sean Woodruff
Thanks, Barry...

By the way, that Silver/Silver combination is SHARP!
Tu ne cede malis
Sean Woodruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 10:53 AM   #441
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Eugene , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Woodruff
By the way, that Silver/Silver combination is SHARP!
2nd!

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1546973151.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	517.6 KB
ID:	157427
Old 05-04-2012, 03:15 PM   #442
rbs
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Decatur , Illinois
My ProPride setup

I have been reading the latest threads about installing, adjusting, & tweaking the ProPride and thought I would add a picture and maybe get an opinion. I received my hitch in January, but weather wouldn't allow installing until the first part of April. After reading the PP thread a few times, becoming familiar with the instruction, assembly went very smoothly. Installing on the Classic model seems to be a little more friendly from what I have read. I built the Receiver End with the plates up, obvious from the picture, but experimented both way and could have accomplished the current measurement with the plates down. The current setup uses three washers and the pictured setup achieved the tow vehicle's "before" front axle weight and the combination appears to be level. I see a problem when I add more weight to the truck's bed, I could possibly run out of adjustment on the jacks and spring bars. I have the 1000 lb bars and was considering changing the hitch bar setup to lower the hitch end a little thinking that would lower the spring bars and give me more adjustment. But after reading the above posts, I am wondering if I really would be better off with the 1400 lb bars? I have only pulled with the new PP hitch one trip, but I was very pleased. I really appreciate how easy it is to manuver with this hitch and seems oblivious to side winds and turbulence created by semi's. The 25' Classic has a very hefty tongue weight, listed at close to 900 lbs. Tell me what you think and Sean I will be giving you a call the first of the week. Thanks for the great service and a quality product.
Rod Severns
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Stream at Look Out Pt.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	97.7 KB
ID:	157440   Click image for larger version

Name:	ProPride 3.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	104.8 KB
ID:	157441  

Old 05-13-2012, 12:39 PM   #443
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Eugene , Oregon
I just got back from a weekend trip and it was my first real experience towing on something more than a short freeway trip. We took hwy 99W north from Eugene to Corvallis, then hwy 20 to Newport, and finally hwy 101 to Depoe Bay (all towns listed are in Oregon). Hwy 20 has some sections that are narrow and pretty twisty but its also travelled by lots of vehicles including semis.

The verdict is that the hitch works flawlessly. There's a spot on 101 where the road had washed out and was replaced. I hit it at almost midnight and I was pretty tired. It basically looked like the road disappeared; that's how dramatic a drop it was. The road also turned at the bottom. It was a little bouncy, but the trailer never swayed an inch. It was amazing. I was pretty convinced that we were screwed.

Anyway, I'm a total believer now.

Oh, and here's the rig with the hitch bar moved up one hole and two washers worth of tilt. It's probably about the best that we're going to get level-wise.

Name:	image-2030503989.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	565.3 KB
ID:	158247
Old 05-13-2012, 02:18 PM   #444
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by phbarnhart View Post
I just got back from a weekend trip and it was my first real experience towing on something more than a short freeway trip. We took hwy 99W north from Eugene to Corvallis, then hwy 20 to Newport, and finally hwy 101 to Depoe Bay (all towns listed are in Oregon). Hwy 20 has some sections that are narrow and pretty twisty but its also travelled by lots of vehicles including semis.

The verdict is that the hitch works flawlessly. There's a spot on 101 where the road had washed out and was replaced. I hit it at almost midnight and I was pretty tired. It basically looked like the road disappeared; that's how dramatic a drop it was. The road also turned at the bottom. It was a little bouncy, but the trailer never swayed an inch. It was amazing. I was pretty convinced that we were screwed.

Anyway, I'm a total believer now.

Oh, and here's the rig with the hitch bar moved up one hole and two washers worth of tilt. It's probably about the best that we're going to get level-wise.

Attachment 158247
Glad you survived the scare.
I'm too old to drive that late.

It's sort of hard to tell with the shadows, but it sure looks good from here.

Ken
Old 05-13-2012, 03:03 PM   #445
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Eugene , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by w7ts

Glad you survived the scare.
I'm too old to drive that late.

It's sort of hard to tell with the shadows, but it sure looks good from here.

Ken
Thanks! I certainly wasn't towing that late by choice.
Old 05-13-2012, 08:15 PM   #446
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
High speed, low drag, Phil . . . !

But only 2Air was allowed to drive with his toes while otherwise texting and drinking coffee.

There's a placebo effect at work, slightly, with these hitches (as well).

Old 05-13-2012, 11:45 PM   #447
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Eugene , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by REDNAX
High speed, low drag, Phil . . . !

But only 2Air was allowed to drive with his toes while otherwise texting and drinking coffee.

There's a placebo effect at work, slightly, with these hitches (as well).

I promise that I'll keep at least one hand on the wheel at all times regardless of what I'm drinking.
Old 05-14-2012, 08:46 AM   #448
ProPride, Inc.
Commercial Member

Grand Blanc , Michigan
Send a message via Skype™ to Sean Woodruff
Keep at least one hand on the wheel!

Tu ne cede malis
Sean Woodruff is offline   Reply With Quote