Old 06-24-2013, 09:12 PM   #621
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Classic FB
Fredericksburg , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
thanks Morgan guy (please tell me you tow with one!!). Is the 4* angle due to a washer? I think you're saying you can also adjust the angle of the box by adjusting the WD jacks to accommodate any angle, yes?
No, the 4 degrees is due to a slope I have to back up to where the AS is parked on a level surface. Yes, I use the WD jacks to adjust the angle to match that of the stinger. Once you have done it a few times you will find that it gets easier every time.

Morgan guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 09:14 PM   #622
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Classic FB
Fredericksburg , Texas
I forgot to answer your first question. I am afraid my Morgan would flatten her tires if I tried to tow with it.

Morgan guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 10:15 PM   #623
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
I always hitch up solo. The rope and magnet trick is pure magic at night or when hooking up at a large angle such as in the little semi-circular sites in some of our state parks. It also helps at the storage barn when the trailer is in deep shadow and the TV in bright sun.

I never tried it with my former ball hitch, but it should work there as well when it isn't possible to simply line up the TV with the trailer body.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 01:55 AM   #624
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
Quote:
Here's a question for my fellow PP owners.

In an offline conversation with Sean, we came to the conclusion that washers behind the rivet were not needed for my setup. For those of you who have used 1 or more washers, how is your hitching up experience? I've notice that unless I'm really level as there is no WD applied, it is tricky at best to hitch up as the stinger gets caught in the box at an odd angle ad doesn't want to go in.

If you're using washers to lower the angle and apply more WD, do you make an adjustment to the box trailer side? If not, please describe your hitching experience. Thanks!!
put the stinker into the PP hitch without the tow vehicle and move the jacks uo and down and you'll see the stinger angle change, match the angle to the angle of the stinger when it is in the truck.
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 05:42 AM   #625
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by richinny

put the stinker into the PP hitch without the tow vehicle and move the jacks uo and down and you'll see the stinger angle change, match the angle to the angle of the stinger when it is in the truck.
Another great suggestion richinny! Thanks much - will play with that this weekend! Great wealth of knowledge on this forum!!
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 08:47 PM   #626
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAB View Post
I continue to follow this thread as even with almost 2 years with my PP I continue to learn from everyone else. I've found that trying to have as straight an approach as possible makes the process simpler. If I've got much of an angle to deal with I'll use my "Swift Hitch" camera and receiver. Since I solo, I often wonder if it'd be easier to have another set of eyes back there!
My experience is that the second set of eyes spend most of their time arguing with the first set of eyes.

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 05:30 PM   #627
Rivet Master

My turn to ask for help

I have now been using the ProPride for nearly 4 years. I have had very little difficulty hitching.

However lately, I have been experiencing difficulty unhitching any time the truck and trailer are not on the same level piece of ground.

I have no difficulty hitching in this situation, because I can visually see the clearance between the four sides of the hitch stinger and the sides of the hitch box on the trailer.

Normally I unhitch by releasing all the tension on the WD jacks and then lowering the tongue jack onto the stand. I then raise the tongue jack with one hand while my other hand is wiggling the Rock Tamer extension bars. On the level, when all the weight is off the hitch, the extension bars will freely move the hitch within the excess play. However if the truck is on either an up slope or down slope in relation to the trailer, I often cannot locate this sweet spot.

I am eagerly awaiting any ideas or advice.

Ken
Old 06-26-2013, 05:36 PM   #628
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag&Au
I have now been using the ProPride for nearly 4 years. I have had very little difficulty hitching.

However lately, I have been experiencing difficulty unhitching any time the truck and trailer are not on the same level piece of ground.

I have no difficulty hitching in this situation, because I can visually see the clearance between the four sides of the hitch stinger and the sides of the hitch box on the trailer.

Normally I unhitch by releasing all the tension on the WD jacks and then lowering the tongue jack onto the stand. I then raise the tongue jack with one hand while my other hand is wiggling the Rock Tamer extension bars. On the level, when all the weight is off the hitch, the extension bars will freely move the hitch within the excess play. However if the truck is on either an up slope or down slope in relation to the trailer, I often cannot locate this sweet spot.

I am eagerly awaiting any ideas or advice.

Ken
I don't know if this would apply to you but this weekend when I went to unhitch I was SHOCKED to hear the sound of the jack digging rocks forward as my truck was moving forward! I reconnected the OCLs and 7-blade connector, backed it up to the right spot and liberally WD40d the hitch receiver and stinger head. I disconnected again and was able to unhitch just fine. I'm thinking of making that a regular practice (just the WD40 part).
Old 06-26-2013, 05:38 PM   #629
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Also forgot to mention, I think the "sweet spot" is when you raise the jack to the point where you can see (and it's VERY subtle) the coupler slide off the ball.
Old 06-26-2013, 06:46 PM   #630
Rivet Master

Quote:
I don't know if this would apply to you but this weekend when I went to unhitch I was SHOCKED to hear the sound of the jack digging rocks forward as my truck was moving forward! I reconnected the OCLs and 7-blade connector, backed it up to the right spot and liberally WD40d the hitch receiver and stinger head. I disconnected again and was able to unhitch just fine. I'm thinking of making that a regular practice (just the WD40 part).
Thanks,

I will give that a try. I won't have to deal with this for a bit. We are going home on Friday and our driveway is basically level. My first test will be when we take the trailer back to storage next week. There is a problem there with the layout making the trailer level, but the rear wheels of the truck, higher than the front wheels.

Ken
Old 06-27-2013, 07:01 AM   #631
Rivet Master

2002 25' Safari
Fountain Inn , South Carolina
Quote:
Also forgot to mention, I think the "sweet spot" is when you raise the jack to the point where you can see (and it's VERY subtle) the coupler slide off the ball.
That is what I look for also as the "sweet spot".
Old 06-27-2013, 11:26 AM   #632
Rivet Master

Quote:
I will watch for that next time. I believe that is the same spot that I find by wiggling the Rock Tamer bars, but it may be a better indication in these off level spots.

Ken
Old 06-27-2013, 05:36 PM   #633
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
I continue to harvest good ideas from fellow PP owners. I find it sometimes difficult when I unhitch to insure that all the weight if off the TV before I unhitch. If I miss I get a nice "clunk" as my stinger exits the hitch. I wonder sometimes if the autolevel system in my SUV contributes to this.
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 05:59 PM   #634
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAB
I continue to harvest good ideas from fellow PP owners. I find it sometimes difficult when I unhitch to insure that all the weight if off the TV before I unhitch. If I miss I get a nice "clunk" as my stinger exits the hitch. I wonder sometimes if the autolevel system in my SUV contributes to this.
BAB - that's where the "sweet spot" has helped me most! I've had a few of those "clunk" moments. For me, dialing out all of the weight distribution from the jacks is first, then I drop the tongue jack and raise it until I see the coupler lift off the ball. It's a very slight movement. Sometimes I have to drop and raise the tongue jack 2 or 3 times to be sure I got it - but without fail, getting to that spot enables a clean exit every time for me!
Old 06-29-2013, 11:47 AM   #635
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
Here's a good video on hitching the PP.

doug k
After years of eyeballing the hitch height on my HAHA, I learned something new on this video...measure the height of the stinger to the height of the hitch with the wrench...gee what a concept!

Also, I don't know if anybody else noticed but he FORGOT to attach the emergency brake activator cable! That would add about 2.3 seconds of time to the total!
Old 06-29-2013, 12:50 PM   #636
hang up and drive

2010 30' Classic
:) , Kentucky
P3 Received and Installed

Installed the P3 this morning. Added three links to the chains. Everything else was long enough.

My "before" front wheel well measurement is about 42 inches. After installation, I cranked the 1400 pound WD bars right at 65 turns on each side and got the front to within 1/4 inch. No time to get to the scales today, but I "guesstimate" I am within 100 lbs or so of unhitched front axle weight. My concern is that I seem to be hitch-high.

Nose of trailer and rear of truck are high, with the rear of the trailer a little low.

The hitch itself is nose-low. Stinger is at max drop.

Question(s): How do I get everything level and still distribute the tongue weight? Am I worrying about nothing?

Pics below. Opinions welcomed. Thanks.

kry226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 01:12 PM   #637
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Congrats on the installation!!

Do you have washers behind the rivet? If so, I wonder if that contributes to too much lift at the hitch?

I think you're right - you can't drop it any lower from the receiver. How far off are you from level front and back (trailer belly pan to ground)?
Old 06-29-2013, 01:23 PM   #638
hang up and drive

2010 30' Classic
Quote:
Congrats on the installation!!

Do you have washers behind the rivet? If so, I wonder if that contributes to too much lift at the hitch?

I think you're right - you can't drop it any lower from the receiver. How far off are you from level front and back (trailer belly pan to ground)?
Thanks!

Forgot to mention...rivet up top, no washers.

I'll have to measure the trailer later (but will do it by this evening), just using my calibrated eye right now.
Old 06-29-2013, 01:42 PM   #639
Rivet Master

2002 25' Safari
Fountain Inn , South Carolina
Did you check that the stinger was level as described in the installation instructions? I agree the stinger appears to have too much up-angle. You may need to add washers to the rivet to get the stinger level (attached to the truck receiver, not attached to the trailer).
Old 06-29-2013, 04:31 PM   #640
hang up and drive

2010 30' Classic
The stinger was level as described in the instructions. But I think you're correct in that I guess I need to "overcorrect" to get level after hitch up.