Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 12-08-2011, 07:48 AM   #379
Addicted
 
exthemius's Avatar
 
1971 27' Overlander
Currently In: Skowhegan , ME
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 703
Images: 16
Is anyone using a PP on older trailers -- where its more of a nice to have rather than a necessity? The wife and I are thinking of getting one for our 71 27', but aside from the safety benefits, here's our main talking points:
  • Increased distance between TV and A/S (we currently can't open our tailgate while hitched up)
  • Ease of hitching and unhitching (we fulltime, and put 15k miles on the trailer last year)
  • White knuckle prevention (my wife doesn't like to drive in our current setup)
__________________

__________________
-Shawn
------------------
TAC OK-42

Visit our crazy full-timing blog (us,kids and dogs living the dream): http://www.airstreamingdreaming.com/

Join us at the TAC Walt Disney World Rally, November 4th - 10th, 2012: http://www.theairstreamersclub.org/rallies/tac-fw-wdw
exthemius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 09:00 AM   #380
Vintage Kin
 
slowmover's Avatar
 
Fort Worth , Texas
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 6,689
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by exthemius View Post
Is anyone using a PP on older trailers -- where its more of a nice to have rather than a necessity? The wife and I are thinking of getting one for our 71 27', but aside from the safety benefits, here's our main talking points:
  • Increased distance between TV and A/S (we currently can't open our tailgate while hitched up)
  • Ease of hitching and unhitching (we fulltime, and put 15k miles on the trailer last year)
  • White knuckle prevention (my wife doesn't like to drive in our current setup)
All towing rigs need to be set up for best weight distribution, without regard to hitch type, with leverage derived from weight scale values. When that is done, yes, the sway-eliminating is much preferred over the sway-resisting hitches available. While this delineation given is not ideally stated, the experience of driving both will provide the context for understanding, such is the palpable difference.

As to whether it is worthwhile is a question that stands outside of consideration of either TT or TV. It is worthwhile for any rig. It will benefit some more than others, but it is not entirely a matter of weight or size for consideration of benefit.

Work the numbers carefully, install the hitch per instructions, and continue to acquire scale readings and make adjustments based on those differences until most all load configurations are covered. (And, as TV/TT rigs tend to grow in weight over the years, make certified scale readings a regular thing).

One may pile up reasons yeah and nay, but the fact remains that those who convert to a VPP hitch do not go back.

.
__________________

__________________
1990 35' Silver Streak Sterling; 9k GVWR.
2004 DODGE Cummins 305/555; 6-manual; 9k GVWR.
Hensley Arrow. 9-cpm solo, 15-cpm towing
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 09:13 AM   #381
Don't forget your cat nap
 
Ag&Au's Avatar

 
Port Orchard , Washington
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 4,463
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by exthemius View Post
Is anyone using a PP on older trailers -- where its more of a nice to have rather than a necessity? The wife and I are thinking of getting one for our 71 27', but aside from the safety benefits, here's our main talking points:
  • Increased distance between TV and A/S (we currently can't open our tailgate while hitched up)
  • Ease of hitching and unhitching (we fulltime, and put 15k miles on the trailer last year)
  • White knuckle prevention (my wife doesn't like to drive in our current setup)
Of your three reasons, the third one is, in my opinion, the only valid one.

There are other much less expensive products available to lengthen the distance. Some also providing some improvement in ride. The AirSafe hitch comes to mind.

Actually, hitching a ProPride is not straight forward. There is some geometry involved. This is due to the fact that the angle of the front of the hitch changes in the opposite way as it is moved to face right or left of straight ahead. (that is the best way I can describe it, but if you saw one in person you would know what I mean). Therefore, you have to position the head left or right of the tip of the tongue in the direction opposite to the direction you will be backing in from. Once you get the hang of it, it is fairly straight forward. However if you are a little bit off, you have to start over. It will not ever be as simple as backing in a hitch and ball, because you have one more thing to get right (the angles).

I can not argue with you third point. I have pulled a variety of trailers with a variety of hitches. Nothing has been as stable and safe feeling as the ProPride. You have to decide what the monetary value of that is.

Ken
__________________
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 11:47 AM   #382
Addicted
 
exthemius's Avatar
 
1971 27' Overlander
Currently In: Skowhegan , ME
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 703
Images: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by w7ts View Post
Of your three reasons, the third one is, in my opinion, the only valid one.

There are other much less expensive products available to lengthen the distance. Some also providing some improvement in ride. The AirSafe hitch comes to mind.

Actually, hitching a ProPride is not straight forward. There is some geometry involved. This is due to the fact that the angle of the front of the hitch changes in the opposite way as it is moved to face right or left of straight ahead. (that is the best way I can describe it, but if you saw one in person you would know what I mean). Therefore, you have to position the head left or right of the tip of the tongue in the direction opposite to the direction you will be backing in from. Once you get the hang of it, it is fairly straight forward. However if you are a little bit off, you have to start over. It will not ever be as simple as backing in a hitch and ball, because you have one more thing to get right (the angles).

I can not argue with you third point. I have pulled a variety of trailers with a variety of hitches. Nothing has been as stable and safe feeling as the ProPride. You have to decide what the monetary value of that is.

Ken
I've started pm'ing with Sean on it, so I'm not a complete novice...and I've watched all of the videos in regards to the PP and Haha, so I understand what you're saying in regards to the process. I will say that my wife directs me when backing up and does a lot of the hitching process (because she a) can and b) "likes" to do it). But with our current setup, doing the bars and such is time consuming, and with us moving each and every week, it does become tedious after a while. So the idea of simply backing in, throwing the clamps on and such seems a bit "simpler" and "cleaner" than dealing with the round bars and friction device we currently have. As for the third one -- totally understand the value of that and that it's up to us to decide what the monetary value is.

Another thing that I didn't mention is that I'm looking to future-proof this purchase, meaning that it would be nice to purchase a nice setup that can be transferred to another A/S, especially if we DO decide to get a slightly newer, slightly heavier trailer in the future. I know that with the PP, I can basically just by new bars (if needed) and I'll be out $175 or so, which is also attractive. I'm definitely wanting to hear from people are using these hitches in a full-time or near full-time capacity, because I certainly don't want to spend that much money on something that will wear out and require a lot of re-purchasing of parts, or that is more work to hitch and unhitch, etc.
__________________
-Shawn
------------------
TAC OK-42

Visit our crazy full-timing blog (us,kids and dogs living the dream): http://www.airstreamingdreaming.com/

Join us at the TAC Walt Disney World Rally, November 4th - 10th, 2012: http://www.theairstreamersclub.org/rallies/tac-fw-wdw
exthemius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 12:35 PM   #383
Don't forget your cat nap
 
Ag&Au's Avatar

 
Port Orchard , Washington
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 4,463
Images: 1
It sounds like you have a good understanding of it.

Once you have done the backing into the hitch the rest is a piece of cake. My wife backs the truck up while I give directions. In addition we use these:

Qworks Corp - Magnetic Hitchin' Rods - Hitches & Hitch Bars - Camping World

They are especially helpful because I may be making some fine adjustments to the hitch head as she backs up.

After the hitch is in place and latched, the safety chain, break away switch cord, and umbilical cord are attached.

I know how many turns I need on each WD jack for a proper ride, and I do that next. I use the same tool that Airstream gave me to lower the stabilizing pads. (that also helps remind me to raise them in case I have forgotten).

Then I raise the tongue jack, remove the chocks, clean up the campsite and we are ready to go.

Ken



Quote:
Originally Posted by exthemius View Post
I've started pm'ing with Sean on it, so I'm not a complete novice...and I've watched all of the videos in regards to the PP and Haha, so I understand what you're saying in regards to the process. I will say that my wife directs me when backing up and does a lot of the hitching process (because she a) can and b) "likes" to do it). But with our current setup, doing the bars and such is time consuming, and with us moving each and every week, it does become tedious after a while. So the idea of simply backing in, throwing the clamps on and such seems a bit "simpler" and "cleaner" than dealing with the round bars and friction device we currently have. As for the third one -- totally understand the value of that and that it's up to us to decide what the monetary value is.

Another thing that I didn't mention is that I'm looking to future-proof this purchase, meaning that it would be nice to purchase a nice setup that can be transferred to another A/S, especially if we DO decide to get a slightly newer, slightly heavier trailer in the future. I know that with the PP, I can basically just by new bars (if needed) and I'll be out $175 or so, which is also attractive. I'm definitely wanting to hear from people are using these hitches in a full-time or near full-time capacity, because I certainly don't want to spend that much money on something that will wear out and require a lot of re-purchasing of parts, or that is more work to hitch and unhitch, etc.
__________________
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 08:19 PM   #384
Moderator
 
HiHoAgRV's Avatar

 
1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 5,129
Images: 29
Blog Entries: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by exthemius View Post
.. I'm definitely wanting to hear from people are using these hitches in a full-time or near full-time capacity, because I certainly don't want to spend that much money on something that will wear out and require a lot of re-purchasing of parts, or that is more work to hitch and unhitch, etc.
We don't full time but we do travel a bunch, not stayin' in the same place for often (The Hitch-ich)...

Hookin' to a HaHa (or PP) becomes as fast a on-da-ball without much practice. We use a cordless drill, hitchin' sticks and a few tricks...have discovered that if we are slightly off and it doesnt completely insert, we raise the tongue jack and let stuff center...lower the jack and back-on-up.

wear out? full timing typically involves length's of time unhitched...no wear involved!

in the scheme of things, hitchin, unhitchin and wearing out are not the biggest deal of messin with these 'streams...
__________________
Hi Ho Silver RV! Vernon, Sarah, Mac the Border Collie -
A honkin' long 34' named AlumaTherapy http://www.airforums.com/forums/f205...num-54749.html
and a 26' '63 Overlander, Dolly http://www.airforums.com/forums/f109...ome-71609.html
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 05:35 AM   #385
Rivet Master
 
Aviator's Avatar

 
1997 34' Limited
1970 27' Overlander
South of Atlanta , Georgia
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,644
Images: 2
We hitch and unhitch quite a bit. Our TV has a backup camera in the tailgate which makes the PP a one person job. Not counting unhooking the water/sewer/electric and stowing everything, the hitching process is less than 5 minutes. Back up, raise/lower the trailer to match the stinger, insert stinger, use cordless drill to raise hitch jacks to 6.5" (for my trailer weight), hook up chains and umbilical, and we are ready to roll.

I have absolutely zero complaints about the 3P and Sean's customer support is superior to any other company I have ever dealt with!!!
__________________
Craig and Carol
1997 34' Excella 1000
1970 27' Overlander, International
2009 Ford F150 5.4L
ProPride hitch with 1400# bars

AIR 41028
TAC GA-8
WBCCI 10199
Past President Southeastern Camping Unit (12)
Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 09:01 PM   #386
Addicted
 
exthemius's Avatar
 
1971 27' Overlander
Currently In: Skowhegan , ME
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 703
Images: 16
Well, the wife and I have decided that we do want to get the pp -- anyone know any dealers or people with installation experience in the south? We're currently wintering in TX (but are still moving every week, so most southern/south-eastern states could be okay), but want to get it done before our east-coast tour in April, and would definitely like to have it done before then.
__________________
-Shawn
------------------
TAC OK-42

Visit our crazy full-timing blog (us,kids and dogs living the dream): http://www.airstreamingdreaming.com/

Join us at the TAC Walt Disney World Rally, November 4th - 10th, 2012: http://www.theairstreamersclub.org/rallies/tac-fw-wdw
exthemius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 09:43 PM   #387
Rivet Master
 
loudruff's Avatar
 
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
1989 29' Excella
Lorain County , Ohio
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 2,237
Images: 5
Send a message via AIM to loudruff Send a message via MSN to loudruff Send a message via Yahoo to loudruff
Call Sean

You should call Sean Woodruff at ProPride directly. He can give you all of the information you need. He may know of an installer that can set you up if you cannot do it yourself. Larry installed ours. He says it was not a big job and it comes with directions that are pretty straightforward.
1-800-960-4797 is Sean's number. Tell him Larry and Lou said hello.

Isn't there an Airstream dealer in Weatherford, TX? Someone that has a PP from TX will probably be able to jump on here and let you know. In most cases it is customer installed.
__________________
Larry and Lou
CP: Water/30 amp/waste dump/WIFI & Room for 2-3 units; PM us if you are headed our direction!
Air #2695
TAC- OH 2
#1420 NOVA 4-006 Charter member


loudruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 06:56 AM   #388
Addicted
 
exthemius's Avatar
 
1971 27' Overlander
Currently In: Skowhegan , ME
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 703
Images: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by loudruff View Post
You should call Sean Woodruff at ProPride directly. He can give you all of the information you need. He may know of an installer that can set you up if you cannot do it yourself. Larry installed ours. He says it was not a big job and it comes with directions that are pretty straightforward.
1-800-960-4797 is Sean's number. Tell him Larry and Lou said hello.

Isn't there an Airstream dealer in Weatherford, TX? Someone that has a PP from TX will probably be able to jump on here and let you know. In most cases it is customer installed.
Thanks for the info....I PM'd Sean a few weeks back and he actually said that there weren't any PP dealers in TX -- which I thought was crazy with the number of a/s's there are here! I'm sure it is pretty straight forward, but because we full-time, actually getting it shipped somewhere and then having a nice, flat, level surface to play around with the installation for hours and hours could be somewhat problematic -- hence the dealer request!
__________________
-Shawn
------------------
TAC OK-42

Visit our crazy full-timing blog (us,kids and dogs living the dream): http://www.airstreamingdreaming.com/

Join us at the TAC Walt Disney World Rally, November 4th - 10th, 2012: http://www.theairstreamersclub.org/rallies/tac-fw-wdw
exthemius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 07:18 AM   #389
Site Team
 
reinergirl's Avatar

 
1963 26' Overlander
Hollis , New Hampshire
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 2,638
Images: 15
He may not be a dealer for PP but Top (from here on the forums) isn't very far from your home town (3 hours?). He has a business restoring vintage campers and may be able to help you get this installed.

Top's Texas Vintage Campers, Recreational Vehicles, Harker Heights, TX 76548 - index
__________________
Shelly : TAC NH-6 | AIR 41359
Visit my blog!
Parts needed : Braund Antenna front tube fold down model!
reinergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 07:33 AM   #390
Addicted
 
exthemius's Avatar
 
1971 27' Overlander
Currently In: Skowhegan , ME
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 703
Images: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by reinergirl View Post
He may not be a dealer for PP but Top (from here on the forums) isn't very far from your home town (3 hours?). He has a business restoring vintage campers and may be able to help you get this installed.

Top's Texas Vintage Campers, Recreational Vehicles, Harker Heights, TX 76548 - index
True...anyone know if Lance has done one before (either a PP or a HaHa)? I suppose I'll pm him and see.
__________________
-Shawn
------------------
TAC OK-42

Visit our crazy full-timing blog (us,kids and dogs living the dream): http://www.airstreamingdreaming.com/

Join us at the TAC Walt Disney World Rally, November 4th - 10th, 2012: http://www.theairstreamersclub.org/rallies/tac-fw-wdw
exthemius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 08:02 AM   #391
3 Rivet Member
 
pickerdd's Avatar
 
1971 23' Safari
Marietta , Georgia
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by exthemius View Post
Well, the wife and I have decided that we do want to get the pp -- anyone know any dealers or people with installation experience in the south? We're currently wintering in TX (but are still moving every week, so most southern/south-eastern states could be okay), but want to get it done before our east-coast tour in April, and would definitely like to have it done before then.
Shawn,

If you're in my area (Marietta, GA) I'll be happy to assist with the PP 3P install.
__________________
- David
1971 Airstream 23' Safari - "Moe"
2017 Ford F350 4x4 6.7 Diesel - Silver/Black - "Max"
pickerdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 09:43 AM   #392
Rivet Master
 
Roadtoaster's Avatar
 
2015 30' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Byhalia , Mississippi
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 807
UPS says they will deliver my hitch on Wednesday. Weather is looking good for a Saturday installation. I'll probably post pics if I have any work-arounds.
__________________

__________________
Greg
Roadtoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 2 (0 members and 2 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Looking at new TVs, Input please Mr & Mrs S Tow Vehicles 46 03-16-2012 10:39 AM
DuraSafe Locks, Any Users ? knunut Off Topic Forum 3 02-08-2011 09:44 AM


Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by



Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:58 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.