Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Hitches, Couplers & Balls
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-08-2011, 09:13 AM   #381
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by exthemius View Post
Is anyone using a PP on older trailers -- where its more of a nice to have rather than a necessity? The wife and I are thinking of getting one for our 71 27', but aside from the safety benefits, here's our main talking points:
  • Increased distance between TV and A/S (we currently can't open our tailgate while hitched up)
  • Ease of hitching and unhitching (we fulltime, and put 15k miles on the trailer last year)
  • White knuckle prevention (my wife doesn't like to drive in our current setup)
Of your three reasons, the third one is, in my opinion, the only valid one.

There are other much less expensive products available to lengthen the distance. Some also providing some improvement in ride. The AirSafe hitch comes to mind.

Actually, hitching a ProPride is not straight forward. There is some geometry involved. This is due to the fact that the angle of the front of the hitch changes in the opposite way as it is moved to face right or left of straight ahead. (that is the best way I can describe it, but if you saw one in person you would know what I mean). Therefore, you have to position the head left or right of the tip of the tongue in the direction opposite to the direction you will be backing in from. Once you get the hang of it, it is fairly straight forward. However if you are a little bit off, you have to start over. It will not ever be as simple as backing in a hitch and ball, because you have one more thing to get right (the angles).

I can not argue with you third point. I have pulled a variety of trailers with a variety of hitches. Nothing has been as stable and safe feeling as the ProPride. You have to decide what the monetary value of that is.

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 11:47 AM   #382
Addicted

1971 27' Overlander
Currently In: Skowhegan , ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by w7ts View Post
Of your three reasons, the third one is, in my opinion, the only valid one.

There are other much less expensive products available to lengthen the distance. Some also providing some improvement in ride. The AirSafe hitch comes to mind.

Actually, hitching a ProPride is not straight forward. There is some geometry involved. This is due to the fact that the angle of the front of the hitch changes in the opposite way as it is moved to face right or left of straight ahead. (that is the best way I can describe it, but if you saw one in person you would know what I mean). Therefore, you have to position the head left or right of the tip of the tongue in the direction opposite to the direction you will be backing in from. Once you get the hang of it, it is fairly straight forward. However if you are a little bit off, you have to start over. It will not ever be as simple as backing in a hitch and ball, because you have one more thing to get right (the angles).

I can not argue with you third point. I have pulled a variety of trailers with a variety of hitches. Nothing has been as stable and safe feeling as the ProPride. You have to decide what the monetary value of that is.

Ken
I've started pm'ing with Sean on it, so I'm not a complete novice...and I've watched all of the videos in regards to the PP and Haha, so I understand what you're saying in regards to the process. I will say that my wife directs me when backing up and does a lot of the hitching process (because she a) can and b) "likes" to do it). But with our current setup, doing the bars and such is time consuming, and with us moving each and every week, it does become tedious after a while. So the idea of simply backing in, throwing the clamps on and such seems a bit "simpler" and "cleaner" than dealing with the round bars and friction device we currently have. As for the third one -- totally understand the value of that and that it's up to us to decide what the monetary value is.

Another thing that I didn't mention is that I'm looking to future-proof this purchase, meaning that it would be nice to purchase a nice setup that can be transferred to another A/S, especially if we DO decide to get a slightly newer, slightly heavier trailer in the future. I know that with the PP, I can basically just by new bars (if needed) and I'll be out $175 or so, which is also attractive. I'm definitely wanting to hear from people are using these hitches in a full-time or near full-time capacity, because I certainly don't want to spend that much money on something that will wear out and require a lot of re-purchasing of parts, or that is more work to hitch and unhitch, etc.

Visit our crazy full-timing blog (us,kids and dogs living the dream): https://www.airstreamingdreaming.com/

Join us at the TAC Walt Disney World Rally, November 4th - 10th, 2012: https://www.theairstreamersclub.org/rallies/tac-fw-wdw
exthemius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 12:35 PM   #383
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
It sounds like you have a good understanding of it.

Once you have done the backing into the hitch the rest is a piece of cake. My wife backs the truck up while I give directions. In addition we use these:

Qworks Corp - Magnetic Hitchin' Rods - Hitches & Hitch Bars - Camping World

They are especially helpful because I may be making some fine adjustments to the hitch head as she backs up.

After the hitch is in place and latched, the safety chain, break away switch cord, and umbilical cord are attached.

I know how many turns I need on each WD jack for a proper ride, and I do that next. I use the same tool that Airstream gave me to lower the stabilizing pads. (that also helps remind me to raise them in case I have forgotten).

Then I raise the tongue jack, remove the chocks, clean up the campsite and we are ready to go.

Ken

Quote:
I've started pm'ing with Sean on it, so I'm not a complete novice...and I've watched all of the videos in regards to the PP and Haha, so I understand what you're saying in regards to the process. I will say that my wife directs me when backing up and does a lot of the hitching process (because she a) can and b) "likes" to do it). But with our current setup, doing the bars and such is time consuming, and with us moving each and every week, it does become tedious after a while. So the idea of simply backing in, throwing the clamps on and such seems a bit "simpler" and "cleaner" than dealing with the round bars and friction device we currently have. As for the third one -- totally understand the value of that and that it's up to us to decide what the monetary value is.

Another thing that I didn't mention is that I'm looking to future-proof this purchase, meaning that it would be nice to purchase a nice setup that can be transferred to another A/S, especially if we DO decide to get a slightly newer, slightly heavier trailer in the future. I know that with the PP, I can basically just by new bars (if needed) and I'll be out $175 or so, which is also attractive. I'm definitely wanting to hear from people are using these hitches in a full-time or near full-time capacity, because I certainly don't want to spend that much money on something that will wear out and require a lot of re-purchasing of parts, or that is more work to hitch and unhitch, etc.
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 08:19 PM   #384
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Quote:
.. I'm definitely wanting to hear from people are using these hitches in a full-time or near full-time capacity, because I certainly don't want to spend that much money on something that will wear out and require a lot of re-purchasing of parts, or that is more work to hitch and unhitch, etc.
We don't full time but we do travel a bunch, not stayin' in the same place for often (The Hitch-ich)...

Hookin' to a HaHa (or PP) becomes as fast a on-da-ball without much practice. We use a cordless drill, hitchin' sticks and a few tricks...have discovered that if we are slightly off and it doesnt completely insert, we raise the tongue jack and let stuff center...lower the jack and back-on-up.

wear out? full timing typically involves length's of time unhitched...no wear involved!

in the scheme of things, hitchin, unhitchin and wearing out are not the biggest deal of messin with these 'streams...
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 05:35 AM   #385
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
1970 27' Overlander
South of Atlanta , Georgia
We hitch and unhitch quite a bit. Our TV has a backup camera in the tailgate which makes the PP a one person job. Not counting unhooking the water/sewer/electric and stowing everything, the hitching process is less than 5 minutes. Back up, raise/lower the trailer to match the stinger, insert stinger, use cordless drill to raise hitch jacks to 6.5" (for my trailer weight), hook up chains and umbilical, and we are ready to roll.

I have absolutely zero complaints about the 3P and Sean's customer support is superior to any other company I have ever dealt with!!!
2009 Ford F150 5.4L
ProPride hitch with 1400# bars

AIR 41028
TAC GA-8
WBCCI 10199
Past President Southeastern Camping Unit (12)
Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 09:01 PM   #386
Addicted

1971 27' Overlander
Well, the wife and I have decided that we do want to get the pp -- anyone know any dealers or people with installation experience in the south? We're currently wintering in TX (but are still moving every week, so most southern/south-eastern states could be okay), but want to get it done before our east-coast tour in April, and would definitely like to have it done before then.

Visit our crazy full-timing blog (us,kids and dogs living the dream): https://www.airstreamingdreaming.com/

Join us at the TAC Walt Disney World Rally, November 4th - 10th, 2012: https://www.theairstreamersclub.org/rallies/tac-fw-wdw
Old 12-18-2011, 09:43 PM   #387
Rivet Master

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
1989 29' Excella
Lorain County , Ohio
Send a message via AIM to loudruff Send a message via MSN to loudruff Send a message via Yahoo to loudruff
Call Sean

You should call Sean Woodruff at ProPride directly. He can give you all of the information you need. He may know of an installer that can set you up if you cannot do it yourself. Larry installed ours. He says it was not a big job and it comes with directions that are pretty straightforward.
1-800-960-4797 is Sean's number. Tell him Larry and Lou said hello.

Isn't there an Airstream dealer in Weatherford, TX? Someone that has a PP from TX will probably be able to jump on here and let you know. In most cases it is customer installed.
Air #2695
TAC- OH 2
#1420 NOVA 4-006 Charter member

loudruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 06:56 AM   #388
Addicted

1971 27' Overlander
Quote:
Originally Posted by loudruff View Post
You should call Sean Woodruff at ProPride directly. He can give you all of the information you need. He may know of an installer that can set you up if you cannot do it yourself. Larry installed ours. He says it was not a big job and it comes with directions that are pretty straightforward.
1-800-960-4797 is Sean's number. Tell him Larry and Lou said hello.

Isn't there an Airstream dealer in Weatherford, TX? Someone that has a PP from TX will probably be able to jump on here and let you know. In most cases it is customer installed.
Thanks for the info....I PM'd Sean a few weeks back and he actually said that there weren't any PP dealers in TX -- which I thought was crazy with the number of a/s's there are here! I'm sure it is pretty straight forward, but because we full-time, actually getting it shipped somewhere and then having a nice, flat, level surface to play around with the installation for hours and hours could be somewhat problematic -- hence the dealer request!

Old 12-19-2011, 07:18 AM   #389
Site Team

1963 26' Overlander
Hollis , New Hampshire
He may not be a dealer for PP but Top (from here on the forums) isn't very far from your home town (3 hours?). He has a business restoring vintage campers and may be able to help you get this installed.

Top's Texas Vintage Campers, Recreational Vehicles, Harker Heights, TX 76548 - index
reinergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 07:33 AM   #390
Addicted

1971 27' Overlander
Quote:
Originally Posted by reinergirl View Post
He may not be a dealer for PP but Top (from here on the forums) isn't very far from your home town (3 hours?). He has a business restoring vintage campers and may be able to help you get this installed.

Top's Texas Vintage Campers, Recreational Vehicles, Harker Heights, TX 76548 - index
True...anyone know if Lance has done one before (either a PP or a HaHa)? I suppose I'll pm him and see.

Old 12-19-2011, 08:02 AM   #391
3 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Marietta , Georgia
Quote:
Well, the wife and I have decided that we do want to get the pp -- anyone know any dealers or people with installation experience in the south? We're currently wintering in TX (but are still moving every week, so most southern/south-eastern states could be okay), but want to get it done before our east-coast tour in April, and would definitely like to have it done before then.
Shawn,

If you're in my area (Marietta, GA) I'll be happy to assist with the PP 3P install.
pickerdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 09:43 AM   #392
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Byhalia , Mississippi
UPS says they will deliver my hitch on Wednesday. Weather is looking good for a Saturday installation. I'll probably post pics if I have any work-arounds.
Old 12-19-2011, 11:46 AM   #393
3 Rivet Member

2009 23' FB Flying Cloud
The Woodlands , Texas
Don't think that there is a dealer in TX. Sean will know, but we purchased ours direct & had it shipped to our house here in Houston. Installed it with the help of a buddy over the course of a weekend in our storage unit (neither of us do any routine mechanical work). It's very doable with a relatively basic tool set. I did have to purchase a 1" socket wrench fitting & torque wrench.

I also helped a co-worker install his later and we finished it in 6-7 hrs.

Read this thread through once or twice and you should be OK when coupled with the directions. Sean is also very good at returning phone calls if he does not answer his phone on the first try. Never waited more than an hour for a response.

Good luck - your gonna love the hitch.
Hansom-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 12:41 PM   #394
4 Rivet Member

Birmingham , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman View Post
on the powdercoat chips/rust issue, so far that's something not covered here.

my approach would be to scrape off any looooose coating and rust,

then apply some spray paint, or dab on a rust inhibitor/then paint...

or get a tiny can of por 15 (great stuff) then cover that with black paint.
So, I finally got tired of all the rust! Took the advice noted above.
Rust-Oleum primer and semi-gloss black seemed to do okay. Perhaps there are some other folks who need spruce up their rusty PP.

-Chris
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PP.JPG
Views:	138
Size:	272.6 KB
ID:	147283   Click image for larger version

Name:	PP3.JPG
Views:	205
Size:	270.1 KB
ID:	147284  

cms4140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 03:19 PM   #395
4 Rivet Member

1999 34' Excella
NE Central , Kansas
Nice work!
PhilipKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 10:26 AM   #396
ProPride Industries, Inc.
Commercial Member

Holly , MI
Is anyone hitched up and able to drop the tailgate for a measurement between the tailgate and tongue jack? A picture would be great too.

-
Tu ne cede malis
Sean Woodruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 11:33 AM   #397
Rivet Master

1989 29' Excella
Lorain County , Ohio
Send a message via AIM to loudruff Send a message via MSN to loudruff Send a message via Yahoo to loudruff
hitched up in Ohio!

Hi Sean,
We are hitched up. The measurement between the tailgate down, and the jack stand is 10 3/4 in. 2011 Ford Super Duty 250 diesel w/ 1989 Excella 29 footer.
Photos next if I can figure it out!!
Air #2695
TAC- OH 2

Old 12-22-2011, 11:42 AM   #398
Rivet Master

1989 29' Excella
Lorain County , Ohio
PP hitched

Propride hooked up to our Excella. 10 3/4 in. from tailgate to jack.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_5090.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	147460  
Air #2695
TAC- OH 2

Old 12-22-2011, 11:50 AM   #399
ProPride Industries, Inc.
Commercial Member

Holly , MI
THANK YOU Larry and Lou!

Merry Christmas!

-
Tu ne cede malis
Sean Woodruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 12:00 PM   #400
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Austin , Texas
Sean,

Did you ever release the service adapter for the ProPride? You said in October you were close to having it done.

Barry
pattonsr is offline   Reply With Quote