Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 10-19-2008, 07:05 PM   #721
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neenie View Post
I wrote Colonial Airstream to ask if they had a recomendation for a hitch to pull a 16' or 19' with a Jeep liberty and they replied..........

"I would not recommend the Hensley Arrow hitch in its current configuration because it is quite heavy and would also require some modification to the frame of the trailer in order to install it properly."

After reading through some of the posts in this thread I think I would much rather have the haha, is there anyone with more experience than me, which would be any, that would like to comment?

Thanks!

I know of no reason why they answered your letter in such a manner.

Believe me you will get some replies from Bambi owners who are very happy with their Arrow's.
Old 10-19-2008, 07:45 PM   #722
4 Rivet Member

Livingston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neenie View Post
I wrote Colonial Airstream to ask if they had a recomendation for a hitch to pull a 16' or 19' with a Jeep liberty and they replied..........

"I would not recommend the Hensley Arrow hitch in its current configuration because it is quite heavy and would also require some modification to the frame of the trailer in order to install it properly."

After reading through some of the posts in this thread I think I would much rather have the haha, is there anyone with more experience than me, which would be any, that would like to comment?

Thanks!
In adddition to their Hensley Arrow, Hensley Mfg recently introduced The Hensley Cub Sway Control Trailer Hitch which is better suited for trailers in the 12'-26' and 2000#-6000# range.

Ron
Old 10-19-2008, 09:16 PM   #723
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Really, isn't the difference just some weight? I gather they slimmed down on covers, decorative or not, but what is the net savings in weight? How many fewer pounds does it weigh?

Price diff is a couple of hundred dollars cheaper, right?
Old 10-20-2008, 05:02 AM   #724
2 Rivet Member

Michigan , Michigan
weight on the arrow hitch

Actually the only weight that is part of the Hensley is the top hitch head (orange part of the main hitch body) and the frame brackets/spring bar jacks.

I wouldnt think an extra 50 lbs to a trailer tongue would hurt anything. Heck most folks need extra weight on the tongue. I would slap mine on a 19' trailer without thinking about it. You might need to go with 750lb bars. The only advantage that I see for the cub is the hollow hitch bar. That would be nice. You might be able to get them to give you one of those instead since you wouldnt need the weight ratings of the solid. Then, if you upgrade later, you can switch it out with their hitch swap program. Atleast thats what I would do.
Old 10-20-2008, 05:46 AM   #725
2 Rivet Member

Michigan , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeb9550 View Post
Actually the only weight that is part of the Hensley is the top hitch head (orange part of the main hitch body) and the frame brackets/spring bar jacks.

I wouldnt think an extra 50 lbs to a trailer tongue would hurt anything. Heck most folks need extra weight on the tongue. I would slap mine on a 19' trailer without thinking about it. You might need to go with 750lb bars. The only advantage that I see for the cub is the hollow hitch bar. That would be nice. You might be able to get them to give you one of those instead since you wouldnt need the weight ratings of the solid. Then, if you upgrade later, you can switch it out with their hitch swap program. Atleast thats what I would do.
Actually on second thought, the only weight that is part of the Hensley is the frame brackets and spring bar jacks when in tow.

The problem comes when trying to transfer the extra weight since its all tongue weight. If the trailer manufacture used big enough A frame bars, you should be fine. I have actually seen someones trailer frame bend when under weight transfer. Didnt look good. These light weight SUVs cant handle a lot of tongue weight a lot more would need to be transferred than it would be when using a larger truck.

That said, most folks could use an extra 150 lbs in tongue weight.
Old 10-22-2008, 05:46 PM   #726
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdbluegrass View Post
Where can i purchase the magnetic hitching bars for my ha?

Thanks
billy
bdbluegrass

I just bought a set from Camping World - about $20 + shipping.

Don't even have my new Hensley installed yet -it just arrived a week or so back!

Only just got the AS a couple of months ago! Trying to get set up for a good trip this winter - all i need now is to find a good recent model 2500HD diesel before Feb. 09! I don't think my 1/2 ton will cut it!

Brian.
Old 10-24-2008, 06:44 PM   #727
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
What size bars? What spare parts?

Well, I got my Hensley installed today on the 2005 30' classic we bought a couple of months back, so we should be all set to head to Arizona in teh new year.

My hitch came with 1000# bars. I think the hitch wt on my trailer is in the ballpark of 800-850#.

I have read a lot about Airtsreams liking a soft ride, and I am wondering how I can best prolong its structural life.

Would I be wise to use my 1000# bars but crank them up very little, or might I be better advised to invest in 750# bars?

I am presently towing with a Sierra 1/2ton 4x4 ext cab with 4.11 gears, but hope to move to a diesel 2500HD before our next winter trip.

I was wandering too, if there are any parts that I should buy to carry as spares with the Hensley. I did buy the "emergency package" but was thinking of maybe a couple of spare U-bolts, shear bolts and that sort of thing.

So far I've only used the Hensley for about 15 miles, towing the trailer back to the storage yard, but all seemed well and it had a really nice solid feel to it when towing com pared to the conventional hitch that I used to bring the trailer home from Ohio where I bought it.

Only problem today was that I left the steps down on the trailer when I finished the hitch installation and went for a test drive and ripped up ten feet of sod on our front lawn! Steps seem fine though! Hehehe!

Cheers ............ Brian, Burlington Ont,
Old 10-24-2008, 07:43 PM   #728
Sky
Classic 30

Sum Wear , Ohio
Hi Geezer,

I think the 1000# bars are recommended for the 30 footer and you should be fine. That is what I have and so far so good. I'm towing with a 2500HD, and I crank my jacks to the 1st marking. I'm not sure cranking the jacks less would change the ride much for the AS, but it will change the ride of the TV if you don't redistribute some of the weight to front axles.

Congrats on the new trailer and hitch, you are going to love 'em.

Yeah, steps and stabilizers, don't forget 'em

2500HD DMax............30' Classic
Old 10-25-2008, 06:42 AM   #729
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingeezer View Post
Well, I got my Hensley installed today on the 2005 30' classic we bought a couple of months back, so we should be all set to head to Arizona in teh new year.

My hitch came with 1000# bars. I think the hitch wt on my trailer is in the ballpark of 800-850#.

I have read a lot about Airtsreams liking a soft ride, and I am wondering how I can best prolong its structural life.

Would I be wise to use my 1000# bars but crank them up very little, or might I be better advised to invest in 750# bars?

I am presently towing with a Sierra 1/2ton 4x4 ext cab with 4.11 gears, but hope to move to a diesel 2500HD before our next winter trip.

I was wandering too, if there are any parts that I should buy to carry as spares with the Hensley. I did buy the "emergency package" but was thinking of maybe a couple of spare U-bolts, shear bolts and that sort of thing.

So far I've only used the Hensley for about 15 miles, towing the trailer back to the storage yard, but all seemed well and it had a really nice solid feel to it when towing com pared to the conventional hitch that I used to bring the trailer home from Ohio where I bought it.

Only problem today was that I left the steps down on the trailer when I finished the hitch installation and went for a test drive and ripped up ten feet of sod on our front lawn! Steps seem fine though! Hehehe!

Cheers ............ Brian, Burlington Ont,
Brian,
Your bars should be fine, when you get everything set a trip to the scales is in order. It's really the only way of knowing if the load is spread evenly. I've learned that one of the most important things is keeping that trailer level to spread that load over each axle.

STEPS....ahh yes most have done it at least once, bet 'ya won't do it again though.

Stream Safe

Bob
Old 10-26-2008, 04:48 AM   #730
2 Rivet Member

Michigan , Michigan
Geezer, I also think your bars should be fine. I would carry a few shear bolt at the very least in addition to your spare parts kit (thought they came with it?). I would also suggest getting a set of spring bar brackets and jack tubes. These do wear and can break. I replaced mine with new ones and kept the old ones for my spare. I also have a couple U bolts w/hardware in the bag.
Old 10-26-2008, 07:22 AM   #731
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
Brian,
Your bars should be fine, when you get everything set a trip to the scales is in order. It's really the only way of knowing if the load is spread evenly. I've learned that one of the most important things is keeping that trailer level to spread that load over each axle.

STEPS....ahh yes most have done it at least once, bet 'ya won't do it again though.

Stream Safe

Bob

Thanks Bob,

Enough folks have answered the same as you that I have decided I will use the 1000# bars rather than consider lighter ones.

I know I really should do everything properly and weigh the trailer, but I am surprised to note that when I drop the trailer onto my present 1/2T truck, although of course it causes the truck to squat some, it does not appear to put the rear axle down much further than the front - the whole setup looks reasonably level even without the tension bars pulled up.

So I'm thinking that initially I will tension the bars quite lightly - probably just until I can see some deflection starting in the bars - and see how that goes.

From what I read in the Hensley book, the anti-sway characteristic of the hitch is totally independent of the truck/trailer level or tension bar adjustment. Unless I misunderstand!

Cheers ......... Brian.
Old 10-26-2008, 08:14 AM   #732
Sky
Classic 30

Sum Wear , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingeezer View Post

................ I will tension the bars quite lightly - probably just until I can see some deflection starting in the bars - and see how that goes.
Hi Brian. Please report back how the TV handles like this.

Why not setup weight distribution properly? That's what the hitch is designed for. From your post 727, it sounds like you are worried about a rough ride on your Airstream, and you raise a good question. Does weight distribution affect the ride of the trailer?

Personally, I'm not sure weight distribution has any affect on how smoothly the trailer rides. I tend to think the Airstream may get jerked around more if the jacks are "lightly" tightened. In this case the rear springs would be more rigid from being compressed more. But, I am no expert, and perhaps some of the "hitch gurus" can shed some light on this.

Anyway, good luck with your experiment, and let us know how it goes

2500HD DMax............30' Classic
Old 10-26-2008, 12:37 PM   #733
3 Rivet Member

2007 31' Classic
holland , Pennsylvania
my ad installed my hensley with the 1400 lb bars ,since he said my 2005 x has pretty soft suspension.i had added rear timbrens and a set of bilsteins to help how the truck squatted once the weight of the trailer was on the truck.i find that i have played with the weight distribution to the point that if i leave it to loose i seem to get more bounce in the truck.it seems the best ride is when i make sure the trailer is completly level-(i check this by putting a level on the trailer step).at that point i have drawn the barrels up to the third notch on the adjustment barrel which has the 1400 lb bars flexing.the ad suspected the adjustment was going to be between 2.5 to 2.75 between the 2nd and 3rd notch on the barrel.my ad had some experience towing trailers to different shows with an x so he knew about the suspension on these vehicles.if you keep the bars to loose i think they may loosen up further when you are towing.i always check mine when i am out on the road about every 250 miles or so,and make what ever adjustment is needed.give billy(cert airstream tech) over at colonial a call because he seems to me to be very knowlegeable about truck suspensions and hitch setups.hope this helps.
Old 10-26-2008, 02:24 PM   #734
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Measurements...

[quote=Wingeezer;631427]Thanks Bob,

Enough folks have answered the same as you that I have decided I will use the 1000# bars rather than consider lighter ones.

I know I really should do everything properly and weigh the trailer, but I am surprised to note that when I drop the trailer onto my present 1/2T truck, although of course it causes the truck to squat some, it does not appear to put the rear axle down much further than the front - the whole setup looks reasonably level even without the tension bars pulled up.

So I'm thinking that initially I will tension the bars quite lightly - probably just until I can see some deflection starting in the bars - and see how that goes.

Brian,

My first set-up with the Hensley was done with measurements. Took the Burb to a FLAT parking lot. Took measurements thru the center of each wheel to the bottom edge of the wheel-well opening. Hooked up the trailer and with NO tension on the weight bars, measured again. I had approx. two inches squat in the rear and + 1 3/4" lift in the front. Adjusted the weight bars til I transferred about an inch and a half to the front axle. The jacks were about an inch from the bottom line. When I did get to the scales my set-up was almost dead-on. The next thing I had to do was exchange my 4" drop stinger for an 8" drop. Once the trailer was level I was able to run the jack bars on the bottom line. We also have 1000lb bars with our 25ft Classic.
Note that we have an 06 2500 4wd Burb, with Auto-ride. The 3/4 does not have auto-leveling, just variable damping shocks.

Hope this info helps.

Your are correct the anti-sway is completely independent from your jack bar adjustments.

Bob....
Old 10-27-2008, 08:46 AM   #735
ProPride Industries, Inc.
Commercial Member

Holly , MI
It might help some of you to know that for the first 5-7 years of existence of the orange hitch they were ALL sold with 1000# spring bars.

If you've seen the pictures of the Lincoln Town Car towing the 34' Airstream it had 1000# spring bars on it.
Tu ne cede malis
Old 11-30-2008, 06:10 PM   #736
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
I just traded our 1/2 ton Sierra 4x4 on a new 2500HD diesel 4x4.

I had just installed a Hensley on the AS, and have a hitch bar with a 2" drop. The trailer was almost level with that bar, but just a tad nose up - hardly noticeable.

Now, the new truck has its hitch receiver about 2 1/4" higher than my last truck, so I need to swap for a new hitch bar.

I suppose a 4" drop seems the logical choice, but if anything, that will put the trailer just a little more nose up - by an extra 1/4".

If I went to a 6" drop, I guess I'd go from slightly nose up to noticeably nose down.

I suppose the solution would be a ProPride hitch bar to fine tune things, but I've spent enough $$ lately - trailer - hensley - truck!

I'm just curious if anyone else here has the same trailer/TV setup as me, and if so, what bar drop you have found best?

Many thanks ............

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Old 11-30-2008, 06:49 PM   #737
GStephens

1982 31' Limited
1953 25' Cruiser
Hamilton , Texas
My experience has been with an F-250 Ford so it would not be applicable to you as I have no idea how far your hitch is off the ground on your new truck. For reference I use a 6" drop shank on my rig. Why don't you call Jarod at Hensley and see what he recommends. If you purchased your Hensley new, they will trade shanks with you. If not, he will still advise you as to which shank to order.
GStephens
Old 11-30-2008, 06:58 PM   #738
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Thumbs up

Brian,

You measure yours and I'll measure mine....

Hitch height, hitch height.

I had to go from a 4" on the 95 Burb to a 6 on the 06. Measure yours to the bottom of the receiver opening and we can compare. Should give you something to start from.

Bob
Old 11-30-2008, 09:33 PM   #739
Rivet Master

2006 28' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Colorado Springs , Colorado
And now for something completely different...

The stinger got stuck in the receiver.

I searched this thread but didn't find this one. Happened to us today. We just returned from a 200 + mile tow and I had to remove the TV side first then wrestle it out. We have some theories (like too much grease/dirt in receiver, temp variations, parking with wheels up on a curb, etc...). Any ideas? I plan to clean up and try a test hitch next week. One other thing, when we hitched up I did use the OCL wrench to fully seat the stinger, but I don't recall doing anything really excessive...

Thanks,
KL
Old 11-30-2008, 10:19 PM   #740

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Did you fully release the spring bars before tried to unhitch?

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
Closed Thread