Closed Thread

Old 08-18-2008, 10:32 PM   #659
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
Refurbishment - completed!

Well I finally finished my refurbished HAHA (#2278) that I purchased from Ebay.
I started with this....

I broke the HAHA down and found lots of moisture in the bearings. Let it be known that with a used HAHA you may have to replace the bearings due to pitting. I was able to get by with only replacing one of the el-cheapo Chinese bearings. It literally fell apart in my hand.

Here is the finished product.

Now I need some opinions. Should I use the lower hole for the strut bar....

Or the upper hole for the strut bar....

Here is the tow vehicle and trailer.
The center of the tow vehicle receiver is 14 3/4" (unloaded). "The center of the HAHA receiver is 9 1/2" (trailer level).

I believe I am going to need a 2" drop as the top of the trailer frame measures 15" by the rear bumper and 17" at the propane tank. What do you think?

The tow vehicle was 1/2" low in the rear and 1/2" high in the front.

Old 08-18-2008, 11:37 PM   #660
_

. , .
excellent post crisy'

the pre/post pics are distinctive...

were there any issues replacing the bearings and firming things up?

how did you decide on tightness, it looks very much like an hub/wheel bearing job, including the hub style cotter pins?

did u disassemble the screw jack barrels too, how'd they look inside? or did u just lube 'em up and paint 'em?

Quote:
Originally Posted by crispyboy View Post
...Now I need some opinions. Should I use the lower hole for the strut bar...
taken directly from the haha owner manual...

"If your frame bracket has more than one hole available, select the one
which positions the strut closest to parallel with the top of the trailer A-frame.
"

so based on the pics, use the lower frame bracket holes (your picture #7) ...

i think this is the correct position for all/most modern 'streams.

as i recall u've got the 'modified' frame bracket/jack mounts mentioned back in post 548/9...

thanks for adding this info!

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
Old 08-19-2008, 06:49 AM   #661
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
Disassembly and reassembly is very much like a standard wheel bearing job - fairly simple. As far a torquing the spindles/bearings you could "feel" the amount that they needed.
I disassembled the entire unit except for the screw jack barrels. If I remember correctly they bottom out so I could not get them apart. Needless to say I sealed up all entry points and sand blasted everything down. Repainted with a primer/chassis saver epoxy paint and a top coat. Acquired new decals from HA. I purchased the bearing and seals from the local auto parts house.

Strut bars - I measured the height of the holes and when they are in the top position they are within a 1/4" of each other. Approximately 19 1/2" and 19 3/4" from the ground. When I use the lower hole in the bracket I think they vary by 2".
Old 08-19-2008, 01:17 PM   #662
_

. , .
crispy...

good info on the bearings and paint.

now i'm confused.

are u measuring for the STRUT BAR placement relative to the A frame or ground level?

i think the goal is to have the strut bars pegged reasonably parallel to the A frame, before screwing them to 'just tight'...

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
Old 08-19-2008, 02:43 PM   #663
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
I actually measured from the ground up to the center of the strut bar holes.
Old 08-19-2008, 03:07 PM   #664
_

. , .
Quote:
I actually measured from the ground up to the center of the strut bar holes.
interesting, why?

back in posts #422-428 we touch on this issue...

and sean has posted more of the same info here, see the last post in the thread...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f238...tml#post595514

it does look like parallel to the A frame is sort of between the lower hole and middle hole in your pix..

but that may be related to positioning of the camera.

if u haven't downloaded the company manual, it is available at their website, linked in the first few posts here.

cheers
2air'

Old 08-19-2008, 10:42 PM   #665
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up Make sure they are tight..

You know those little holes in the barrel of your spring bar jacks just under the adjustment nut?

Well there is a collar with a lock screw, look in there...make sure it's tight.
Ask me how I know?

If it backs out you won't be able to adjust the bar. Had to take one jack apart before we could break camp last time out.

Learn and live

ďAfter all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.Ē
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but Iím the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
Old 08-20-2008, 08:40 AM   #666
ProPride, Inc.
Commercial Member

Grand Blanc , Michigan
Send a message via Skype™ to Sean Woodruff
Looks good Crispy'

I know you can probably find someplace where I have said the middle hole isn't used on the frame bracket but I think, based on the depth of your frame and where the main unit strut hole is, the middle hole would probably be best for your installation.

And, Robert brings up a good point...

Check that shaft collar in the jack to make sure the set screw is tight. You'll have to look in that hole while you turn the jack top to line it up. Then you can put the allen wrench through the hole. If it becomes loose the jack crew POPS out the top of the jack.

P.S. - I may be a little weird but based on my recent history with the haha company I LOVE the fact that I made post #666 in this thread.
Tu ne cede malis
Old 08-20-2008, 11:58 AM   #667
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
Thanks for the information on the screw jack - I was wondering why one side was coming out and the other side was staying put.

Thanks,
Steve
Old 08-20-2008, 12:24 PM   #668
ProPride, Inc.
Commercial Member

Grand Blanc , Michigan
Send a message via Skype™ to Sean Woodruff
Quote:
Thanks for the information on the screw jack - I was wondering why one side was coming out and the other side was staying put.

Thanks,
Steve
Also note, I didn't mention earlier, that there is also an indent in the threaded rod that you have to line up for the set screw.
Tu ne cede malis
Old 08-20-2008, 01:44 PM   #669
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Woodruff View Post
Also note, I didn't mention earlier, that there is also an indent in the threaded rod that you have to line up for the set screw.

Thanks Sean, I should have mentioned that indentation. That's what took the longest, getting that dang collar lined up. Had to get the old head-light out so I could use both hands. Also I considered using thread lock but decided against it, didn't want to pull any threads out if it had to be taken apart again. A real pain in the buttsky.

Butt a lesson well learned.

ďAfter all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.Ē
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but Iím the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
Old 08-20-2008, 06:20 PM   #670
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Missouri City , Texas
The refurbished HA looks great. I sure wish I could get by with a straight hitch bar or even a 2" drop bar. The new 8" drop bar that I received from HA seems to do the trick on my 2008 Suburban. But its a monster. What do you do with these things when you are hitched up going down the highway. Even the 2" and 4" drop bars are heavy and cumbersome. I know some leave the hitch bar in the receiver, but for me that would be a broken leg waiting to happen. You can't just throw these things in the back of the truck or on ground either.

So I wanted something that I could store the hitch bar in while I was on a trip and while at storage. I found a Stanley "Fat Max" tool box at Loews that is just about perfect for my 8" bar. I built supports out of scrap 2X6 cut to size and attached them on each end along each side and one in the middle and screwed them to the bottom and sides of the box. I also lined them with rubber sheeting. Now I can lay the bar on its side in the box and it's secure and stays in place. This allows for ample storage of the other hitch tools in the bottom of the box. This box also came with a tray and when I cut a smaal hole out of one end it fits fine and holds other items.

Its heavy, but not from the box or the other items I have so much but from the bar itself, the bar iweighs more than 50 lbs. But with the good sturdy handle and hand holds on each end of the box I can still get it my truck when loaded. You can lock it and it is water tight. All I need to do is paint the top orange and get some HA decals. I am surprised that HA has not introduced a storage/tool box for their drop bars, seems like there would be a market there.

Here are a few pics.

Don
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hitch-bar-box4.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	260.8 KB
ID:	65946   Click image for larger version

Name:	hitch-bar-box3.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	280.9 KB
ID:	65947  

Click image for larger version

Name:	hitch-bar-box2.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	278.0 KB
ID:	65948   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hitch-Bar-Box.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	229.2 KB
ID:	65949  

Old 08-20-2008, 06:59 PM   #671
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by adonh View Post
...So I wanted something that I could store the hitch bar in while I was on a trip and while at storage....
NICE don really nice!

that's just as good a job of container finding as my little adventure...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f448...tor-44248.html

let us know how that handle holds up to lifting over time.

my rig has enkay mud flaps attached to the haha bar so i do leave it on and covered while traveling, but tuck the hole mess away at home.

robert's got his orange cone contraption (post #580) http://www.airforums.com/forums/show...&postcount=580

and i've used the pool noodle padding seen WAAAY back in post #25, which is still in use at 2+ years.

the things we do for gadgets!

what u have done is pretty slick, so thank for sharing ....

cheers
2air'

Old 08-22-2008, 08:05 AM   #672
BDBLUEGRASS

1975 31' Sovereign
HEBER SPRINGS , Arkansas
Where can i purchase the magnetic hitching bars for my ha?

Thanks
billy
bdbluegrass