Closed Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 02:47 PM   #533
_

. , .
hey good comments mikeb' and others...

and rednax THANKS for the chain thread link...

that is a PERFECT thread to disucss chain issues and dynamics of separtion...

posts #39-45 are especially useful as is the first link YOU provided on 'grading'

IF i needed links now, i'd opt for the grade 70 or 80 in stainless shown in that website.

i do not wanna hijack my own thread on the haha....but

the link extension kits ARE a product they sell to us, along with the quick connect links.

the vp term above is used generically, and i specifically did NOT id the company person by name.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Woodruff
...I never said this and I was the vp in charge at the time you referenced.

If this was my statement why would I now be selling the properly rated chain in my ProPride extension kits?
With the proper connectors between the oem chain and the extension.

You obviously talked to someone else...
so again i'm not identifying the exact people involved, it serves NO purpose 2 years past...

and IF new companies and follow up hitches spec BETTER components that IS a good thing for all users, right?

but i know EXACTLY who said what on this topic. the conversation was recorded.

-PART of my exchange on this topic was with tech support, part with sales...

-and part with el presidente...

-we discussed just how many (what %) of haha sales were to folks with BIGGER/heavier trailers...

-we discuseed the chain rating ON those trailers compared to the kits haha was/is selling....

-we discussed the price difference IF they were to stock PROPERLY rated/matched links and connectors...

-i personally found a vendor/supplier for them at only 3-5$ more per kit than the INADEQUATE chain...

-at one point i was basically told... "you'd be better off if the chain brakes anyway" as the reasoning for 'weak links'...

along with..."no customer has ever asked us about this issue before, they either don't know or don't care"...

-and finally i was told that they'd look into it, BUT more likely they'd JUST DROP SELLING ANY LINK KITS, if i raised a stink about it....

-i was also told they would contact me with the follow up info and a decision on the extension kits, in a week or 2...

there was NO FOLLOW UP CONTACT from them, and NO CHANGE in the extension links provided that i can find.

this isn't going to become a vendor dispute, i solved the problem (for my needs) and moved on.

also anyone READING this thread will note most of the info (mine included) is very fair n balanced toward this product...

even the negatives.

i noted early on (see post #1) that customer service, warranty issues, repairs and maintenance were all fair game for a "users guide"

and to quote myself....

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2air'

current users have a variety of practical questions or needs related to the haha...

my view is,
owning a haha is like owning any other product...
customer service/support, the warranty,
upgrades, repairs, maintenance, resale, installation, security and so on,
are practical issues user/owners must address.

owners also deal with actually towing with a haha.

so adjustments, road feedback, brake controllers,
utility with various airstreams, utility with a given tow vehicile,
hitching/unhitching, parking and so on,
are everyday or 'every trip' issues.

i make no claim to special knowledge regarding the haha or hitches in general.

i'm just a user, who may have coined the phrase 'haha'...

i plan to post my good and bad experiences with the haha. hope other will do the same...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hensley Ron
I'm afraid I'll have to admit I didn't know about the weight rating on the chain.
I always assumed it was the same as the OEM chain on the trailer. I'll be checking into this. Thanks for bringing it up...
it's nice that you might follow up on this issue ron, please let us ALL know how it will be handled going forward.

the thread rednax linked is a great place to discuss 'safety chain issues' in general terms and includes the 'sae guide on rating'

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f464...ins-30021.html

imo for haha users who NEED to add extensions, do your homework and consider the weakest link issue...

my understanding is that a/s has LENGTHENED the oem supplied safety chains from mid 2007? onward...

so the extension chain issue may only be relevant to older units and those using the EXTENDED LENGTH stingers/drop bars...

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
Old 04-15-2008, 06:31 PM   #534
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up This May Help Hitch'n-up

Found this at wally-world, screens kinda small but it does make the

dreaded connection easier.

VR3 Wireless Backup Camera w/Monitor - Wal-Mart

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
Old 04-15-2008, 08:39 PM   #535
_

. , .
hi rc

i was fully committed to a camera but ultimately never purchased one...

i wanted more features and better integration than most flavors offered, AND no tempting signs for crooks...

now i really have no use for one, but i'm sure SOME haha users must have cameras...

by the time the box and stinger are properly aligned for docking,

the truck is usually close enough to connect.

but there are at least 3 threads on THAT model here...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f206...ers-28419.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f317...era-27752.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f37/...mbi-32100.html

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
Old 04-15-2008, 09:04 PM   #536
3 Rivet Member

2008 30' Classic
Pagosa Springs , Colorado
[quote=2airishuman]hey good comments mikeb' and others...

-

also anyone READING this thread will note most of the info (mine included) is very fair n balanced toward this product...

even the negatives.

i noted early on (see post #1) that customer service, warranty issues, repairs and maintenance were all fair game for a "users guide"

Bullseye! You nailed it 2Air!! This thread is intended to be informative and resourceful. If it is not "fair and balanced" the former is lost and the information becomes susceptible. Because of your checks and balances throughtout this thread, I personally placed considerable credance on the preceding posts. I upgraded from a classic 25 to a 30 this winter. Aside from the costs of the AS and HA, the most important element is to ensure the safety and integrity of the equipment providing years of personal enjoyment. Regarding consumer purchases, when you step up to the plate and pay the price, you don't expect corners to be cut on the product, particularly on safety items. The OEM chains are too short using a standard 6" drop hitch bar. I will ensure the extenders are of equal rating for my own safety as well as others. I'd rather save a mishap than a dollar!
Four Courners Unit
WBCCI # 2460 AIR # 17259
Old 04-15-2008, 11:30 PM   #537
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
I see this as a question of service. Number One, there is no other thread extant on the Web better than this one about the Hensley (thanks, many thanks 2Air and all contributors), as there is information here NOT on the company website or in owner materials.

Two, in a tightened economy, service becomes that much more important.

I was sold on the hitch a long, long time ago. I've seen what happens with improper rigging in bad accidents, and the anti-sway features of the Hensley make it easily worth the premium.

But the stinger choices (lack thereof), the poor paint, and the above-cited safety chain problems are not, I offer, indicative of a small company competing against dirt cheap hitches. It's time to take another look at this.

Having had a dealer install mine (Williams Airstream) and a knowledgeable manager (Tidmore) oversee it WITH better-supplied safety chain extensions (or directions from the company citing SAE and DOT guidelines for same) would seem to be proper. Instead, we (Tidmore and I) had a discussion about the attachment to the truck. Good, but not thorough.

A] The safety chain thingamabob needs to be addressed for a product with this price. Dealer education about both ends of the chains attachment ought to be included. This is just research and printing.

B] I'd also like to recommend that dealers selling this hitch at volume be provided with a SHERLINE tongue weight gauge to further educate their customers That, along with the above being addressed properly would help to cover most all reasonable problems associated with hitching up a trailer (beyond CAT Scale weights). It would certainly provide a service that is otherwise a real problem.

I see, constantly, on RV boards "guesstimates" as to trailer weight, and real ignorance about tongue weight. Scale weights aren't too hard to get, but unhitching a trailer on a scale is more than most will ever be willing to attempt, and the bathroom scale, backyard method is awkward.

Let's remember that a conventional trailer -- versus a fifth wheel -- is seen by the majority as being inferior, when the opposite is true. An aerodynamic, low-center-of-gravity travel trailer is superior for handling (safety) and much more resistant to side or quartering winds. A premium hitch that completes this package is helping to buck the trend of ignorance.

C] Dealers aren't, by the grapevine, getting much of a mark-up on this hitch, and lack incentive. A "premium installation package" is easily understood, and is pretty much training based on printed materials and a video. A customer, at this price point, is likely to be interested. I would not be the only one to pay for it. That I might do it again several times in the future (were I less interested than I actually am in these kinds of questions), well, given the confidence of accurate first numbers, I WOULD be more likely to do it again.

"Sure, Mr. Customer, swing around here on your way out of town after you and the Mrs. have her loaded, and we'll check off that tongue weight again". (And see to it that the hitch is correct, the chains crossed, etc.).

Now that's a dealer I'm going to feel good about recommending, and a product I'm going to be proud to own (again, were I the type less interested in doing things for myself). As it is, I AM willing to pay for a extra in re safety if I am pressed for time and/or energy.
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
Old 04-16-2008, 11:44 AM   #538
2 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Oxford , Michigan
You make some good points, Rednax. As it so happens, we're in the process of changing the way we do business with dealers. We've focused on being a direct sales company since inception. As the product matures, we're seeing more interest from dealers, which means we have to change the way we work with them. I'm not going to give away our company strategy here, but I will say you've hit on a few key points, some of which have already been taken care of.

This is the only forum I'm really active on because it has the highest concentration of Hensley owners. While it's tough to get hit with the cold hard facts sometimes, I know the info is invaluable. My biggest complaint while a Ford engineer was that I had no control over the direction of the company and my suggestions never made it past the bean-counters. Here I do have a degree of control.

Keep the posts coming. I can't change Rome in a day, but I am moving forward. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at what we've got coming down the pike.
Old 04-16-2008, 02:28 PM   #539
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hensley Ron
...keep the posts coming...
actually please DON'T keep the posts coming.

if you want a thread to discuss company business plans, strategies, dealer networks and other things along this line...

PLEASE START A NEW THREAD TO DO SO.

this thread is intended for users of the product and issues users have with the product.

it isn't a personal advertisement page for the hitch company or the other company.

how about YOUR FOLLOWUP on the INADEQUATE CHAIN extension kits? we all wanna know about this.

vendors have a difficult time JUST helping folks, without adding unnecessary stuff, but that approach can work..

for all of us.

many HERE who opt'd for this product, do so BECAUSE of the 'non marketing approach' this thread provides.

there IS a message in that and it can just as quickly all TURN some other way.

thank you.

2air'

Old 04-21-2008, 10:08 PM   #540
_

. , .
a few dozen posts ago, someone asked about the spare parts kit and grease zerks....

below is a picture of everything in one of my spare parts bags as purchased...

-shear bolts
-locking collars for jacks/frame brackets
-ocl safety pins
-grease zerk
-pins/clips for struts and lower jacks

really this bag (at least ONE) should just be INCLUDED with the purchase price.

and should also include a spare ocl LUG, U bolt, plate, locking washers and nuts

a disassembled zerk is in the 2nd pic...

5 parts-- a lock nut, threaded shaft, zerk tip, coil spring and a grease injector/plunger...

and for most of us, ONLY the small injector/plunger (in the lower left) becomes worn or damaged.

so again they could INCLUDE a few of the little tips so we could rebuild the zerks as needed.

i'm gonna visit the local napa and a hardware store, to see about availability of some of these smaller parts...

cheers
2air'

click to enlarge either pic...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	haha_spareparts_bag.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	642.7 KB
ID:	58786   Click image for larger version

Name:	haha_grease_zerk_bits.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	537.2 KB
ID:	58787  

Old 04-21-2008, 10:55 PM   #541
Silver Hilton

1959 24' Tradewind
Astoria , Oregon
2air -
I'd suggest adding one (or more) spare 6" U-bolts to the emergency kit. My torque wrench and its incompetent owner snapped one off awhile ago, on a Friday before a scheduled Monday departure. Just TRY to find one locally!! They cost $2.50 from Hensley, but I can tell you that 1-day air to the west coast costs MUCH more and delayed my trip for a day.
Mark
Old 04-21-2008, 11:03 PM   #542
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Wiltrakis
....I'd suggest adding one (or more) spare 6" U-bolts to the emergency kit....
hi mark

agree completely! a u bolt for the frame bracket along with lock washers and a nut or 2...

i also carry a spare ocl wrench and jack ratchet wrench, having extra means i'm less likely to lose the originals!

cheers
2air'

Old 04-22-2008, 06:03 AM   #543
2 Rivet Member

Michigan , Michigan
Im in the process of rebuilding my HAHA. Would of had it done already but I have a 18 month boy and time is non existant.

I purchased a bunch of parts that didnt need to be replaced but did so that I would be able to keep the old parts for a hot spare. I have a ton of extra parts. The only thing I dont have is an extra frame bracket, OCL, and a strut. These things usually dont fail.
Old 04-22-2008, 06:45 AM   #544
4 Rivet Member

1996 28' Excella
Okemos , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman

i'm gonna visit the local napa and a hardware store, to see about availability of some of these smaller parts...
I have seen the pins with the spring loaded rings at the local TSC (Tractor
Supply Co.) I believe they are a common item on farm equip.
AIR#2276
Old 04-22-2008, 07:20 AM   #545
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
2Air,
Looking at your emergency parts picture there are two small collars below the self tapping bolts. What purpose do these serve?
Old 04-22-2008, 11:32 AM   #546
2 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Oxford , Michigan
That's the locking collar to hold the jack assembly on the bracket mounting pin.

Closed Thread