Closed Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 02:01 PM   #519
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by finalcutjoe
Have you ever experimented with asymmetric WD?...
yes. it's insignificant or non existent with current hitch designs.

-very little transfer is rearward, even with 2 bars.
-the bars are limited by their ratings, additional cranking just flexes the bar without moving more mass
-measure wheel well heights or beltline trim or some other horizontal reference line on the tv and trailer, then adjust the bars...
-using this approach to 'leveling' , more side2side asymmetry will be measured on the tv than trailer.

very few roadways or towing events happen on a LEVEL roadway, so side2side shifting is constant and not very adjustable with the springbars.

otoh the TRAILER DOOR FIT is clearly altered by bar tension. the shell/skin moves noticeably when tightening one jack or the other...

Quote:
Originally Posted by finalcutjoe
I’m suspecting with the slide option, there’s a substantial difference between curb and street side…
a 30 with slide is already near the MAX for tire capacity and wheel capacity.

so i'd suspect a/s made some effort to load evenly side2side, when the trailer is EMPTY.

loading food, the pantry, the fridge, carrying bottled liquids (beer, soda, water) and tools...

might very well alter side2side wheel/tire loads, and this is easy to gauge via the 'beltline or wheelwell' measurements...

IF you are chronically overloaded on one side, tire WEAR and tire HEAT would be clues during travel.

i've had individual tire/wheel/axle points weighed; 1-200 lbs extra on any one tire can be seen in tire wear, over 1000s of miles towing.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
Old 04-09-2008, 02:08 PM   #520
Rivet Master

1976 27' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
Our Hensley Repaint

We went with a Vintage Look for our Hensley repaint.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HAHA repaint.jpg
Views:	2494
Size:	662.7 KB
ID:	57930  

Hensley Hitch
Old 04-09-2008, 02:15 PM   #521
4 Rivet Member

1975 23' Safari
1978 31' Excella 500
Franklin , Indiana
Send a message via Yahoo to DPeakMD
Thanks for posting that, Abe. Looks GREAT! How 'bout a shot from further back and let us see the rest of the vintage goodness!!!
WBCCI/VAC #8481
AIR #9
W9CDC
.-- ----. -.-. -.. -.-.
Old 04-09-2008, 02:17 PM   #522
_

. , .
very nice 'jeep!

the bearing caps look like GIANT bucked rivets....

thanks for posting the pic.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
Old 04-09-2008, 02:37 PM   #523
Rivet Master

1976 27' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
Hensley and our Trailer

Thanks Dallas,
Here is photo of our Hensley with a 1976 Overlander attached Getting ready to head up to the Cherry Blossom Rally 08!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Spirit 08.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	627.4 KB
ID:	57934  
Hensley Hitch
Old 04-09-2008, 02:50 PM   #524
2 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Oxford , Michigan
I love it! Orange is my preference, of course, but my neighbors complained when I painted my 33' trailer to match my Arrow. Go figure. Now, if you paint the tires Airstream silver, you may need to seek professional help. There must be a support group for this sort of thing.
Old 04-09-2008, 11:53 PM   #525
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Silver Hensley

Hi, vajeep. I like the silver hitch; Orange distracts your eyes from the real beauty, the Airstream. [I like the house too]

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
Old 04-14-2008, 10:22 PM   #526
3 Rivet Member

2008 30' Classic
Pagosa Springs , Colorado
New HA owner

Thanks to 2Air's thread, I purchased a HA and installed it this past weekend after reading all the posts here. This install went smoothly. Final setup, pending getting it weighed, is as follows; AS is 1/2" lower in the front than rear (measured from ground to top of lower belt molding. TV is 3/8" higher in the front than rear (measured from ground to bottom of wheel well). Both jacks are pinned in the 2nd hole and adjusted to the 2nd index mark. Power cord is of sufficient length. Ordered chain link extender from HA (existing too short). There was an issue with the right (curbside) A-frame. Both struts are position in the lowest hole on A-frame. The pin does not extend out of the right A-frame enough to engage the clevis pin. spoke with HA and a new A-frame is in the mail. Once I receive the items from HA, I'll see how it rides and handles reporting my experience. I hooked up and disconnected twice (no problems), under an ideal setup. I lubed the hitch bar with Tri-Flow. In my experiences, this is a great product I've used for years. Spendy, but unlike WD40 and others, it doesn't attract dirt and grim.
While driving on a business trip up to Denver today, I stopped by Camping World and picked up a pair of Hitchin' Rods (thanks again 2Air). While behind the wheel today, I gave thought to installing stainless cotter keys in lieu of the furnished clevis pins. I don't recall anyone mentioning this in prior posts and wondered if anyone has done this. Secondly, after all adjustments, is there any telltale signs when the AS ride is too stiff besides personal items shifting around?
The HA lightened the pocket but provided more peace of mind. Now, I just have to be focused and do my part....right! Many thanks to all who have contributed to this great thread!!
Four Courners Unit
WBCCI # 2460 AIR # 17259
Old 04-14-2008, 11:38 PM   #527
_

. , .
good report and nicely detailed larry!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsinclair
...I gave thought to installing stainless cotter keys in lieu of the furnished clevis pins...
i considered this 2 years ago, even purchased some extras at tractor trailer supply.

have had NO issues (3yrs) with rust on any of the oem supplied pins, clips or fasteners.

i think they are coated or galvanized with some very effective anti rust layer...

too bad the hitch body isn't this resistant to rust!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsinclair
...Ordered chain link extender from HA (existing too short)...
i'm amazed this particular issue has taken this LONG to appear.

the chain link extenders haha sells are NOT rated to the same capacity as the factory a/s chains.

as i recall the haha product is class 3 rated with a breaking strength ~5,000 lbs and working load limit of 1/3 that...

the same applies to their 'quick connect' coupler links, ~5000 lbs.

while the 5/16 oem chain on a 30/34 classic is class 4+ with a breaking strength of ~10,500-11,700 lbs.

and a working load limit (wll) of ~3900 lbs.

http://www.peerlesschain.com/downloa...fety_Chain.pdf

the oem a/s chain comes (to a/s) ALREADY ATTACHED to the frames and rated (per regs) higher than the gvwr for the trailer.

SAE Code J684;
"Two lengths of Safety Chain or equivalent shall be used” and
“The strength rating of each length of chain or its equivalent and its attachments
shall be equal to or exceed in minimum breaking force the GVWR of the trailer.”

as i recall the leland frames come with peerless (link above) or laclede brand chains.

i went around a LONG TIME on this issue with hensley 2 years ago....

and on THIS issue they failed BIG TIME.

-basically they acknowledged that the chain extensions were INADEQUATELY rated for larger/heavier trailers...

and the vp in charge KNEW this.

his comment was "no one has ever asked us about this before, customer don't care or don't know, about this...."

imo in is TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE that they would knowingly do this and i conveyed this feeling to him, CLEARLY...

perhaps they have finally upgraded to adequately rated chain AND quick connect links, but i doubt it.

it took me over a year to find extra chain and quick connects adequately rated.

even the a/s factory/service center could not provide them.

david tidmore from the weatherford tx a/s dealership (he is no longer there) was able to source and supply the proper chain...

so IF you really need chain and WANT properly rated links, look somewhere else.

again thanks for adding to our little users group and post some pictures when u can!

and enjoy the towing!

cheers
2air'

Old 04-15-2008, 05:30 AM   #528
2 Rivet Member

Michigan , Michigan
Hey 2 air. I always wondered about my factory chains on my last trailer. They had a working load of less than what was rated for the weight of the trailer. Thought of replacing them but realized that where it attaches to the trailer would fail before the chains. It was some dinky bolt and sheet metal.

Working load and breaking weight shouldnt be compared to trailer weight. The rated weight on the chains is the measured force it can take. Our trailers have wheels. Those ratings are if you would lift the camper in the air. For example my utility trailer for my lawn mower weighs about 100lbs. It doesnt take 100lbs of force to move it. I can move it with my pinky finger. It would take 100lbs of force to lift it in the air.

That said, one should not use a weaker chain for extention. I have seen some over kill trucker chains on TTs but hey, better safe than sorry.
Old 04-15-2008, 08:57 AM   #529
2 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Oxford , Michigan
I'm afraid I'll have to admit I didn't know about the weight rating on the chain. I always assumed it was the same as the OEM chain on the trailer. I'll be checking into this. Thanks for bringing it up.

I didn't know Dave Tidmore left Roger Williams Airstream. We last spoke to him in January. He's been very helpful with advice on our brake controller. If anybody finds out where he ended up, let me know. Nice guy.

Lsinclair, glad we could help out. You'll find Jarrod to be very helpful. And his wife makes some killer no-bake cookies. Make him send you some.
Old 04-15-2008, 09:21 AM   #530
ProPride, Inc.
Commercial Member

Grand Blanc , Michigan
Send a message via Skype™ to Sean Woodruff
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman
and the vp in charge KNEW this.

his comment was "no one has ever asked us about this before, customer don't care or don't know, about this...."
I have to speak up here 2air'. I never said this and I was the vp in charge at the time you referenced.

If this was my statement why would I now be selling the properly rated chain in my ProPride extension kits? With the proper connectors between the oem chain and the extension.

You obviously talked to someone else.

Just to clarify, I had absolutely nothing to do with purchasing parts at the haha orange company.
Tu ne cede malis
Old 04-15-2008, 09:24 AM   #531
Rivet Master

1976 27' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS
Hi, vajeep. I like the silver hitch; Orange distracts your eyes from the real beauty, the Airstream. [I like the house too]
Thanks for the kind words, we still get people that ask us what is that "thing" attached to your Airstream.
Hensley Hitch
Old 04-15-2008, 12:10 PM   #532
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Some of us have gone at it in another thread. There is, after all, a set of questions as to the problem[s] of safety chains. (When Tidmore, rather, Denver, installed my HAHA, I wound up with an ordinary kind of clip and extension. I expected to have to re-do the system; both at the trailer and at the truck for security).

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f464...ins-30021.html

Being here in the oilfield I know I can find the welders and some pointed expertise in "solving" this problem.

Grade 70 transport chain is something I have around the house from an OTR career. But the strength of the attachment points, trailer and truck are another question entirely. I've left it until later this year when the trailer comes out of storage.

I don't/didn't see it as Hensley's problem. But, for that price . . . .

Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
Closed Thread