Closed Thread

Old 01-15-2008, 01:59 PM   #435
ProPride, Inc.
Commercial Member

Grand Blanc , Michigan
Send a message via Skype™ to Sean Woodruff
Quote:
Originally Posted by bernermom
I wanted to follow up, since I mentioned that I was bummed that the dealer did not install this correctly.

I spoke to the service manager, and he then talked to Hensley. Now that they know this is not correct, he wants to send someone to my home to make the correction, and also install the new zerks! Now that is good service. We are about 1 hour and 15 minutes from the dealer, so this will be a big help.

We are human and mistakes can be made, but when a dealer goes out of their way to correct it, they get top marks in my book.
Diane, THAT is and EXCELLENT dealer! From my experience with these types of things through the years I can't say there are many of them that provide that type of service.

Tu ne cede malis
Old 01-15-2008, 02:21 PM   #436
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up Correction

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernermom
I wanted to follow up, since I mentioned that I was bummed that the dealer did not install this correctly.

I spoke to the service manager, and he then talked to Hensley. Now that they know this is not correct, he wants to send someone to my home to make the correction, and also install the new zerks! Now that is good service. We are about 1 hour and 15 minutes from the dealer, so this will be a big help.

We are human and mistakes can be made, but when a dealer goes out of their way to correct it, they get top marks in my book.
WOW!!

Now thats great service.... can guess from your location of whom

you speak!!

Just wish we had such a dealer here in N.Y. (still without any a/s dlr.)

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
Old 01-15-2008, 06:02 PM   #437
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
An easier question ( I trust):

After installation, mine "dresses right", to use a suitmaker's term. Is it normal for the hitch to lean one way or the other on level ground, or do I need to make an adjustment?

Thanks - Pat.
Old 01-15-2008, 10:14 PM   #438
ProPride, Inc.
Commercial Member

Grand Blanc , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmclemore
An easier question ( I trust):

After installation, mine "dresses right", to use a suitmaker's term. Is it normal for the hitch to lean one way or the other on level ground, or do I need to make an adjustment?

Thanks - Pat.
One of your strut bars may be tighter than the other one and pushing it that way.

When you are unhooked, extend both weight distribution jacks completely, loosen both strut bars and center the orange piece in the coupler. If both of your frame brackets are equal distance from the center of the ball you will have the same number of threads showing on each strut bar when they are tight. If your frame brackets are not equal distance from the center of the ball then measure from one bearing cap back to a point on the trailer and then measure the same distance from the opposite bearing cap back to the mirror point on the other side of the trailer.

Now you are ready to tighten the strut bars.

When you do, only finger tighten them and then use the sleeve to turn the nut a quarter to a half turn more. That is as tight as the strut bars need to be. They will be snug and not rattle on the pins. You do not need to wrench down the strut bar nut an make it tight like you would a lug nut. With the struts tightened this way you shouldn't see the hitch head "dressing right."
Tu ne cede malis
Old 01-16-2008, 11:23 AM   #439
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Thanks, Sean. Will do (this weekend).

Pat
Old 01-16-2008, 12:31 PM   #440
_

. , .
Quote:
After installation, mine "dresses right", to use a suitmaker's term. Is it normal for the hitch to lean one way or the other on level ground...
hey pat, when did you convert to haha towing?

congrats!

many of us have done the over tight strut 3 step jive...

then learned to get'em "just firm"

even after strut perfection, the haha body can fall off to one side...

happens less on level campsites, but IF the jacks are just a few screws different, mine will lean...

so i move it back to center with a finger on the pin...

but otherwise leave everything as is....IF the preceding disconnect was smooth.

toss a hitch pic up some time too!

cheers
2air'

and welcome also to nohillgrish, nice post and hope to see ya camping again soon!

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
Old 01-16-2008, 07:59 PM   #441
Stray

1987 32' Excella
1978 28' Argosy 28
Springfield , Missouri
2air',
Do I recall from this thread, or another one of your posts, that you opted for the 4" drop hitch bar after experimenting with the 6"? Jareod at Hensley is sending me the 6" to try out, but I was just curious as to what you settled on since our TV's are similar. I am 19 1/2" from ground to the center of receiver. The 4" doesn't look too bad, and when I lay a level in the trailer door it appears to be dead on. However, when I stand back and look at the overall latch up I seem to be a little up in front. My primary concern is trying to get as even distribution on the trailer wheel bearings as possible. Likewise looking forward to camping with you again. The lining of my throat is almost back to normal and I'm ready to try another round of your "strip gut" chili.
Old 01-16-2008, 08:31 PM   #442
_

. , .
hi stray...

your recollection is correct.

6" was too much and 4" is much much better.

as i recall my original measurement was 20.5 to the upper inside of the receiver pin box...

the truck's rear leaf stack settled over 50k miles of towing with a 1300lb tongue and full bed payload,

so i've added one leaf and raised the stack again, about 1.5 inches.

i agree a 5 inch drop would be ideal.

i'm not done tweaking the truck suspension, and will stick with the 4" bar for another few months.

NOW with the 4 inch i'm dead level before tightening the screw jacks which raises the trailer front about 1 inch compared to the tail.

i measure the trailer at the beltline trim and wheel well edging as reference points...

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
Old 01-16-2008, 09:00 PM   #443
Stray

1987 32' Excella
1978 28' Argosy 28
Springfield , Missouri
Will probably end up staying with the 4", but will post some comparative pics later for perusal. By the way, I'm currently running on the top mark of jack assembly. Had a much softer ride when running about 1" above the top mark, but truck appears to be perfectly level on the top mark. TV is a Ford 1-ton SRW. As I'm still experimenting with this, I would be interested in what other forum members are finding with regard to jack assembly settings. Please forgive the question if it's already been addressed earlier in the thread. Just say "search the thread" and there will be no hard feelings. I tend a little to the lazy side.
Old 01-17-2008, 09:52 AM   #444
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
2Air, I bought mine (reconditioned) before the big price drop after the first of the year. Pretty pissed about it, think I bought mine from the wrong salesman. He was not able to deliver much of what he offered. But life is short. I've moved on.

Funny thing - when I bought my 31' Limited, it came with a Reese dual cam. From the get-go, I thought the stirrups looked a little weak for such a heavy rig. Then last fall as I was traveling south through the Flaming Gorge, I found that I had bent one of the wd chain brackets. After that adventure, I was pretty sure I was going to get the haha.

So - as I was installing, measuring, getting ready to drill holes, I noticed that some holes in exactly the right places had been patched and painted. Holes were a bit wallowed out, though. So my po had a haha. And it explained why the stirrups were so light - obviously the guy had a spare reese hanging around and got rid of it (to me).

I'm glad there was nothing more serious than that, and glad that I've settled it once and for all with a haha.

Having been a faithful reader, the install went smoothly. And thank goodness for the instruction manual link in this thread - my haha came with nothing but a packing list.

And - I started out with a 4" bar - and sent it back for a 2". Looks and measures much better to me.

Pat
Old 01-21-2008, 11:09 AM   #445
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Went back and readjusted per notes here, and have to confess something:

When I found that the po had drilled frame holes earlier, in about the right places, I did not go back and measure again - I counted my good forture and went about my installation business. Now I find that the curb side bracket is about 3/4" farther from the hitch apex than the otherr side - so when I tighten up the struts, the count of threads is not the same. I believe that this is not a fatal error: I just need to center the hitch, then tighten each side properly. The fact that one strut is 3/4" longer than the other should be within tolerance - right?

Thanks - Pat.
Old 01-21-2008, 11:14 AM   #446
ProPride, Inc.
Commercial Member

Grand Blanc , Michigan
Quote:
I just need to center the hitch, then tighten each side properly. The fact that one strut is 3/4" longer than the other should be within tolerance - right?

Thanks - Pat.

That's right, Pat. Just center the orange head relative to the front of the Airstream and you'll be good. With the frame brackets at different distances from the ball that is the way to do it. You won't have equal threads on the struts but your link spindles, unbder the bearing caps, will be equal distance. That will allow the trailer to track on the centerline.
Tu ne cede malis
Old 01-21-2008, 06:29 PM   #447
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Thanks, Sean. I know the exact thing was stated before, but it helped when I described the problem and the answer turned out to be the same!

Go figure.

Pat
Old 01-22-2008, 12:13 PM   #448
4 Rivet Member

2008 27' International CCD FB
Mill Valley , California
Finally got the HAHA installed!!

Hey Guys
We finally got the HAHA installed yesterday!
Although the dealer got the hitch on...... I was a little disappointed that they didn't know as much as I expected. They didn't know how the "jack assembly" worked. I had to tighten the act to the "first line". They had it loose about 2 inches from the first line. I'm gonna have to re-adjust the strut assembly too. I think the center hitch assembly is a bit off perpendicular. The strut assembly seemed to be "almost finger tight" but not turned an additional 1/4 or 1/2 turn like the manual says to do.

Thank God I've read this thread and the manual many times before having the hitch installed! Thanks 2air'!

Now for the questions.....
I tried to tighten the jack assembly to the "middle line" but it lifted the front of the trailer up so it wasn't as "level" as on the first line. First line ok?

I've seen pics of the jack assembly.....some slant back, some forward but mine is almost vertical. ok?

How much "bend" should there (can there) be to the spring bar? Can you bend it too much?

There are 3 holes open on the spring bar link. Is this right for my trailer and tv?

What do I think of the HAHA?
We ended up having to drive home in pouring rain....the HAHA performed flawlessly! Need I say more?

I'll post pics of the set up asap....couldn't take pics in the rain.