Closed Thread

Old 11-30-2007, 07:37 PM   #393
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS
Are you telling me both of the above photo's are rong???
no just the one on the right.

that's my right, it could be the left for some

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
Old 11-30-2007, 07:38 PM   #394
ProPride, Inc.
Commercial Member

Grand Blanc , Michigan
Send a message via Skype™ to Sean Woodruff
That is also the only set of painted U-bolts I have ever seen!

Old 11-30-2007, 07:43 PM   #395
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
I think any one honey beer install...

is a missed opportunity.

Spoken with confidence, as in whistling past the graveyard, of course.

Directions! We don' need no stinkin directions!

Ha! I mean, Pat!
Old 11-30-2007, 07:53 PM   #396
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Woodruff
That is also the only set of painted U-bolts I have ever seen!
and did you notice all of the painted hahas!

we 'steamers are a very style n fashion aware bunch...

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
Old 12-02-2007, 01:36 PM   #397
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Lafayette , California
I have a confession to make. Since buying our latest towing vehicle 2 years ago, our Hensley has pointed down (towards the stinger) when fully hitched with spring bars set correctly. Set correctly means that the bars point up towards the trailer. This is not because the stinger has the wrong drop, but because the towing vehicle's factory receiver is anything but level when the vehicle is completely level. Please don't ask for pictures because I have none and cannot easily go out and hitch up.

Why did I wait so long for this confession? Is it because I knew that the reaction here would be negative? Partly yes, but the real answer is that in two years of towing, nothing has happened or gone wrong. The Hensley has no visible ill effects, towing is still superb, and the receiver is undamaged. Perhaps having only a 19' Bambi with a relatively low tongue weight is the reason we have noticed nothing.

In any case, I am posting this not to get advice, but simply to provide information. Changing the factory Class IV receiver is not an option in case someone wants to suggest that .
Old 12-02-2007, 02:31 PM   #398
ProPride, Inc.
Commercial Member

Grand Blanc , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim A.
I have a confession to make. Since buying our latest towing vehicle 2 years ago, our Hensley has pointed down (towards the stinger) when fully hitched with spring bars set correctly. Set correctly means that the bars point up towards the trailer. This is not because the stinger has the wrong drop, but because the towing vehicle's factory receiver is anything but level when the vehicle is completely level. Please don't ask for pictures because I have none and cannot easily go out and hitch up.

Why did I wait so long for this confession? Is it because I knew that the reaction here would be negative? Partly yes, but the real answer is that in two years of towing, nothing has happened or gone wrong. The Hensley has no visible ill effects, towing is still superb, and the receiver is undamaged. Perhaps having only a 19' Bambi with a relatively low tongue weight is the reason we have noticed nothing.

In any case, I am posting this not to get advice, but simply to provide information. Changing the factory Class IV receiver is not an option in case someone wants to suggest that .

Tim, with a 19' Bambi you won't have any problems. With heavier trailers it can be a problem due to the bearings and links taking too much load when the main head is pointed downward.

My new hitch has an adjustable hitch bar that allows for "tilt" to make it parallel to the ground. That takes care of the downard pointing main unit. It also makes for better weight distribution.

Again, with a Bambi this shouldn't be concerned.
Old 12-02-2007, 02:42 PM   #399
_

. , .
Quote:
I have a confession to make....
...Why did I wait so long for this confession? Is it because I knew that the reaction here would be negative?...
...In any case, I am posting this not to get advice, but simply to provide information....
please say 5 hail wally's while hold a string of rosary rivets...

ok, u r forgiven.

it may not have anything to do with the receiver...

negative reaction? not here in haha land where the goal is to help each other....

besides, many of us have this issue. scroll back to post #210 or look any many of the side view photos in our thread...

we've even got another thread on THIS issue...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f464...own-24356.html

even combos that start out dead lever (or slightly low) point a little downward as the spring bars are tightened for wt distribution.

while in theory it may alter bearing pressure,

i wonder IF they've had to service many (replace bearing units) as a result?

it also may have something to do with the 2 inch increment between stinger/drop bar sizes...

my set-up would be ideal at 5 inches but the choices are 4 or 6.

cheers
2air'

Old 12-02-2007, 04:12 PM   #400
ProPride, Inc.
Commercial Member

Grand Blanc , Michigan
One other point that can cause this droopy head syndrome....

When unhooked, loosen your strut bars and then extend your spring bar jacks completely so the spring bars are pushing the main head upward.

Once you have done this, tighten your strut bars to finger tight and then use the sleeve to make another quarter turn.

Some of the droopy head syndrome is caused by tightening the strut bars too much while the spring bar jacks are wound up a bit. This pushes the nose down.

By the way, this also causes hooking and unhooking headaches.
Old 12-02-2007, 08:20 PM   #401
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Lafayette , California
Let me clarify a little. The Hensley does not point down because of improperly tightening the spring bars nor is it the "normal" slight downward tilt. The drop of the stinger is approximately correct because when hitched up and with the spring bars properly tightened, the trailer is level. Hitching up is not a problem. We just do the usual stinger-Hensley alignment and everything works as with the former tow vehicle.

The source of the hitch tilt is clear. The rectangular tube or socket of the receiver points down towards the front of the tow vehicle. So much so that the stinger alone shows considerable tilt when inserted into the receiver. The fit of the socket is slightly loose, but not enough to cause the hitch's tilt.

The only solution for the tilted Hensley would be to have a “droop-snooted” stinger. Seeing as how we have had no trouble, trying to have one fabricated is not going to happen.

The purpose of reporting this was our feeling that the HaHa Users Guide should contain all. We are a little surprised, but most pleased, that the tilt has not affected functionality in any way we can determine. A couple of "hail Wallys" probably wouldn't hurt.
Old 12-02-2007, 08:30 PM   #402
_

. , .
ah...

now i get it.

so u must be towing with a unibody suv?

was the receiver tilted from day 1 ?

or did this develop over time,

while towing and from the torquing stress of w/d?

all additions to the haha collective are GOOD!

even tilted ones...

cheers
2air'

ok, on edit, i see from your profile the tv and your last post says it has been uneven since new.

now i wonder if all the chrysler/dodge/jeep GC models have sloping receivers...

but that would be the topic for a new thread...

something like "receiver points UP" or "is your receiver on the level?"...

Old 12-02-2007, 08:53 PM   #403
ProPride, Inc.
Commercial Member

Grand Blanc , Michigan
Quote:
Let me clarify a little. The Hensley does not point down because of improperly tightening the spring bars nor is it the "normal" slight downward tilt. The drop of the stinger is approximately correct because when hitched up and with the spring bars properly tightened, the trailer is level. Hitching up is not a problem. We just do the usual stinger-Hensley alignment and everything works as with the former tow vehicle.

The source of the hitch tilt is clear. The rectangular tube or socket of the receiver points down towards the front of the tow vehicle. So much so that the stinger alone shows considerable tilt when inserted into the receiver. The fit of the socket is slightly loose, but not enough to cause the hitch's tilt.

The only solution for the tilted Hensley would be to have a “droop-snooted” stinger. Seeing as how we have had no trouble, trying to have one fabricated is not going to happen.

The purpose of reporting this was our feeling that the HaHa Users Guide should contain all. We are a little surprised, but most pleased, that the tilt has not affected functionality in any way we can determine. A couple of "hail Wallys" probably wouldn't hurt.
Tim, I understood that was what was happening with your receiver but I didn't mention it. It was ME who wasn't clear. Sorry about that! There are a lot of receivers out there like yours. That's why the new design has an adjustable bar. The hitch bar can be tilted to be parallel with the ground like it should be.

While my adjustable hitch bar won't fit in an Arrow, who's to say that some innovative company isn't manufacturing one specifically for the Arrow customers?
Old 12-02-2007, 09:00 PM   #404

Rochester , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Woodruff
..................While my adjustable hitch bar won't fit in an Arrow, who's to say that some innovative company isn't manufacturing one specifically for the Arrow customers?
Thanks for the "heads up" on this issue
Old 12-02-2007, 09:11 PM   #405
ProPride, Inc.
Commercial Member

Grand Blanc , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by USAntigoon
Thanks for the "heads up" on this issue

No problem. I'm not sure anyone will be able to do it though because the patent has already been submitted, and is pending, for an adjustable bar being used with a convergent linkage hitch. But, there are companies out there that just ignore patents anyway. Not very ethical, but it is done.
Old 12-08-2007, 03:21 PM   #406
2 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Edgewood , New Mexico
Switching tow vehicles with Hensley hitch

Hello again.

I recently posted, for the first time, in the new members section and received a lot of very good information which will help us in our upcoming purchase of an Airstream travel trailer.

Now I am starting to look at getting our tow vehicle ready for the task of towing. I've read many, though certainly not all, of the posts in the hitches section of this site and pretty much have decided that a Hensley Arrow (haha) is the way to go, although when I saw the price I almost dropped my beer.

When I was a kid my family had a travel trailer, and once, when rolling down the highway, out of the blue, we had a sway episode that nearly pitched us all into the ditch. My mom freaked out so bad that my dad had no choice but to sell the travel trailer. Even had the Hensley hitch been available at the time it would not have erased the memory of the near-death experience and my mom would have had nothing to do with travel trailers again. I don't want that to happen to me. Besides, travelling should be a pleasant experience, and if there is a product engineered to reduce or eliminate one of the most common and dangerous negatives to towing a travel trailer, then in my mind it is worth the added expense. Besides, I don't currently have a hitch which I've invested money in and will have to worry about taking a loss when I try to sell it. Just pay the money once and forget about it.

I currently have two vehicles which will be able to tow our upcoming travel trailer which will weigh in somewhere between GVW 7000 - 8000 lbs , a K2500 Suburban, and a E 250 Ford Econoline van. The class IV receivers are approximately the same height, so a different tow bar shouldn't be necessary.

Here is my question: Can I, in principle, easily switch between tow vehicles using the same haha set-up, or do I need to duplicate some of the hardware? Also, will there be any adjustment needed to change the location of the 'virtual pivot point' to accommodate the differences between the rear-axle-to-hitch measurements of the two vehicles? Are such adjustments even possible, or is it 'one size fits all' in that regard?

Thanks!

Mark