Old 06-17-2013, 12:51 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member
2015 27' Flying Cloud
2011 30' International
mooresburg , Tennessee
I have had tow different trucks with my 30' airstream. Trundra did fine, just at the edge of payload. Now a 3/4 ton ford. they both pulled great. Never any white knuckles.

gtc6452 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 01:30 PM   #16
Rivet Master
2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Originally Posted by PharmGeek View Post
as someone new to TT's and TV's...and looking to buy this year both...There is some logical inconsistencies about this topic that hurt my brain.

Why is it that a 1 ton TV could have less sway than with a 1/2 ton? It seems like (based on my very limited understanding at this point) the sway would be a function of the conditions and the trailer. How exactly does a heavier truck prevent sway anyway?

I think I understand the concept of these hitches to prevent sway...but im struggling to understand why a 1 ton needs sway control less than a 1/2 ton. Perhaps a stupid question, im very new to this topic as I go forward now and consider my future purchases.
I would offer that sway is not the push you would feel in a gusting side wind or passing semi. It is the back and forth oscillations of the trailer increasing uncontrollably. Sway control hitches dampen this sideways movement, sway elimination hitches eliminate it.

The large tow vehicle may not sense the sideways force because it's stiffer suspension and tires, and wide and long wheelbase hold the truck steady until the force is too great.

A small tow vehicle with a stiff suspension and stiff tires may not either. If it also has independent and rear suspension, this suspension is connected to the frame/body at a much wider position possibly making it even more stable than a truck.

The problem with the smaller vehicle is not necessarily handling, it is limited load capacity. And they will surely need a weight distribution hitch with sway control/elimination, but that's generally accepted as part of any good towing setup.

The Hensley-designed sway elimination hitches have a unique mechanical connection that prevents the trailers from initiating an angle between the truck and trailer, resulting in complete prevention of sway and little sense of movement when pushed by strong gusting side winds and passing trucks.

However, anything can loose control if the side forces are great enough. Safe driving habits, correct trailer/truck loading, and traveling in decent weather and road conditions will always be a part of the deal.

doug k

dkottum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 02:33 PM   #17
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
I'm glad that I have generated a lively discussion here. That was my single goal. Oh yeah, of course, to gain some information also. I think that it is a long known fact that multi-axle trailers are more stable than single axles. I too have seen many poorly matched combinations and been glad to see them take an exit or to pass on by. Just when we think we've seen it all here comes another one. While my Airstream is the only trailer I've driven long distance I have limited experience with smaller combinations like U-hauls and such. We did have a small pop-up camper for a few years a lifetime ago. While I have yet to experience the really high winds that can be generated in some of the places we travel I may change my whole thought process if/when I do. Maybe it's not fair to compare the towability of the AS with the others out there. Low COG, torsion axles, aerodynamics etc. all make it what it is and what the others are not. Proper loading is also an important factor. Safety is on everyone's mind here. Thankfully I've never observed what I felt was unsafe operation / towing by any of the AS owners I've seen on the road.

PS: Please don't read into my statement. I'm not saying you need a big TV or are safer with a large truck. I just wanted to state what I tow with. Maybe it makes it less stressful, maybe not. But, I'd rather have the dog wag the tail instead of the tail wagging the dog.
Thanks for all your input. Drive Defensively out there. There are some dooozy's on the road.

Roger in NJ

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote