Old 01-09-2012, 08:14 PM   #169
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
HiHo, I had never seen that thread before! Could you summarize you thoughts based on those tests. I don't know much about those instruments and frankly can't make heads or tails out of them. Are you saying that spring bar vs. no spring bar showed little or no difference at the AS axle? So would it follow that a 600# bar vs. a 1000# makes no difference on high frequency low amplitude road inputs? Or am I not understanding your conclusions?

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 09:05 PM   #170
4 Rivet Member
2012 25' Flying Cloud
Eureka , California
Originally Posted by HiHoAgRV View Post
I can offer some input here...

I used cost 4X more than the, gathers 100hz data points...the equipment is well up to the task

I mounted it directly over the axle to see the effect of bar stiffness on the trailers suspension...stiff bars make for a stiff ride, right?

One run with NO bars (the truck tail cycles up and down like a bronco) followed by a run with 1000lb bars cranked up tight...

Within the limits of experimental difference in the ride due to transfering weight to the trailers axles.
If you are talking about measuring shocks, that's what I would predict, and that's what I think the thrust of this thread has tried to show. Bars don't provide any means of modulating ride harshness in the trailer because the coupler and ball are already sustained in direct contact. You can't get more direct than "direct."

redwoodguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 01:58 PM   #171
1 Rivet Member
2012 28' Flying Cloud
Phoenix , Arizona
My TV is a 2009 Chevy 3/4 ton crew cab pick-up. I have a 2012 Flying Cloud 28 with a factory spec tongue weight of 976 lbs. I have the old style Reese hitch i.e. no built in sway control. I use a friction bar for sway control. From Phoenix, AZ to JC, I used 1,000 lb. bars. I went there for some warranty work. From JC back to Phoenix, I used 750 lb. bars. The bars are interchangeable in the hitch head.

I have read all the comments on this thread. I believe that Inland Andy and the physics theory are both correct. They are not at odds with each other. I have an explanation that reconciles both of them.

My unhitched truck has a natural rake to it i.e. the front-end sits lower than the back-end. The back-end is light and stiff over bumps. When I hitch-up with 1,000 lb. bars, the trailer weight is distributed to the front axle of the truck and the truck maintains the unhitched stance. I believe this stance translates to a rough ride for the trailer. When I use 750 lb. bars, the back-end of the truck lowers and I am using more of the truck suspension to provide a softer ride for the trailer. The bars do not provide anymore absorption of the rough ride consistent with the physics theory but the truck suspension does because the 750 lb. bars are not transferring as much weight to the front axle. I believe the rating on the bars indicates the maximum tongue weight that they can effectively transfer to the front axle and not the breaking point for the bars.

I use six chain links under tension for both sets of bars. I tried seven links under tension with the 1,000 lb. bars and the ride in the truck was way too rough.

The sway control and steering are similar with both sets of bars. On the way to JC, I popped two rivets. On the way back none popped. However, the clothes fell off the hangers in the shirt closets with both sets of bars.
msipek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 02:42 PM   #172
Jack Dog in So Cal
2013 16' Sport
Orange , California

We just purchased our 2013 Bambi 16' Sport from Southwest Coaches in Corona, CA. back in August.

We recently returned from our first trip out with the AS to Yosemite National Park with the return trip down Hwy 395 in the Eastern Sierra.

The dealer sold us the same set up and reccomends it to all buyers of their coaches. I was sold after my mobil RV guy Brett gave the product his thumbs up. He's been servicing all our trailers since our first one back in 2002. They are careful to adjust the system so not to over torque the settings so you don't have issues with rivets popping on the trailer.

We towed a 17' Casita before the AS that used the Valley sway control and equalizer bars w/ chains.

I can't tell you how much happier we are with the new set up. No more chains to adjust, no more separate sway bar to install. It takes me no more than a few minutes to get everything set up and go.

I use white lithium grease on the bars and ball. Much less messy than the old liquid grease. When we get back home I just use an old car towel and wipe the grease off the ends of the bars and the ball and then reapply when we get ready to go on the next trip. I even use the original box the bars came in to store them. Sure the hitch is a bit heavy but I can't even think of the alternative if I was to tow without it.

Anyway, the first trip was 1,000 miles with lots of winding mountain roads and we hit some fierce cross winds coming down 395. The Casita towed like a dream and now with this set up our AS tows even better!!!!

The only thing I had to get used to was the extra width of the AS. The Casita was only 6 1/2 feet wide and the AS is 8 feet wide. It takes a little more attention to stay within the white lines of the freeways and highways.

Jack Dog
in So Cal

JackDog is offline   Reply With Quote