Old 01-06-2012, 11:29 PM   #141
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Eureka , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
Airstream is a small company and can't afford to do a lot of tests or engineering. If they did, they wouldn't have built trailers with rear end separation (to heavy a kitchen in the rear) or OSB subfloors. I expect that if there's a problem they guess their way through it. We won't be getting information from them and not because they even have a legal department (which I don't believe they do).

Gene
It's interesting that they don't see an opportunity by having some participation in a forum like this. I mean you wonder - has the CEO ever heard the words "social media?" Ironically, the smaller your company is, the more you can benefit from direct customer interaction. I'd have thought they'd be crawling all over a forum like this.

Just in case they are lurking:
Dear Mr. Airstream,

Here are your customers! They have legendary brand loyalty for your products. Throw them a bone, and learn something yourself in the process. Assign a technical person in the company to browse the forums, look for opportunities to enlighten the customer base, solve problems, head off ugly rumors, and generate some priceless goodwill. What's the worse that can happen - - you grow the company?

Sincerely,
Loyal Customer

Old 01-07-2012, 08:44 AM   #142
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Red, just guessing here....but judging how stiff the 1000#ers are compared to other mfrs 1000#ers, I'm thinking I would go to ready made 600#ers.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 09:51 AM   #143
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Redwood,

The CEO was here, didn't like all the criticism, left quick. Some execs follow things here, but quietly. Others want to pretend the Forum doesn't exist.

Gene
Old 01-07-2012, 10:08 AM   #144
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Eureka , California
Quote:
Redwood,

The CEO was here, didn't like all the criticism, left quick. Some execs follow things here, but quietly. Others want to pretend the Forum doesn't exist.

Gene
No kidding? Now that's interesting to know. I think the phrase "old school" comes to mind. Someone famous said, "Ignore your customers at your own peril." Let's see.....Kodak comes to mind.

Thanks Gene!
Old 01-07-2012, 10:21 AM   #145
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Eureka , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
Red, just guessing here....but judging how stiff the 1000#ers are compared to other mfrs 1000#ers, I'm thinking I would go to ready made 600#ers.
Right. Maybe it is 600#. I'd be curious to discover how they are rated. e.g does 600# cause a 1" deflection, a 3" deflection, no deflection? You know, what are they measuring?
Old 01-07-2012, 04:14 PM   #146
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwoodguy View Post
Right. Maybe it is 600#. I'd be curious to discover how they are rated. e.g does 600# cause a 1" deflection, a 3" deflection, no deflection? You know, what are they measuring?
Yeah, you're not askin' for too much today. I'd wager, if we knew that, A Lot of our questions would be answered. Better yet, how about an industry standard on the ratings and their meanings.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 01-08-2012, 12:35 PM   #147
ProPride, Inc.
Commercial Member

Grand Blanc , Michigan
Send a message via Skype™ to Sean Woodruff
Quote:
Redwood,

Gene

I have a feeling they DO have someone monitor this forum.

If anyone would like to start a ProPride forum I promise to participate...

-
Tu ne cede malis
Sean Woodruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 12:45 PM   #148
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwoodguy View Post
The following article and chart will help you answer at least part of your questions.

Andy

The Hitch Torsion Bar Story
Old 01-08-2012, 01:38 PM   #149
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
I think that we should take a 12 oz. weight and put it on the end of a about a 14 inch bar and cycle it 90 degrees decreasing the weight about 3 oz. each time and than repeat. This should give us the info needed.
Old 01-09-2012, 09:30 AM   #150
doh
2 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
Manchaca , Texas
Did not read all 11 pages of posts, but the starting & stopping clunk sound I'm familiar with. Had it briefly when I first went to the EQ. Had nothing to do with the EQ - was the hole where the receiver, shank & receiver pin mate. The hole in the shank can become enlongnated slightly over the years. Replacing the shank eliminated the problem.

It is possible to get into the sway mode with a properly setup EQ, went around a 90 degree curve at 50-55 mph near Lubbock TX last August in a flat open area, got hit with a very strong wind gust & the steering wheel started sharply moving left & right ~1". Solution - ride it out, take foot off of gas, let speed drop below 35-40, lightly apply brakes when road is straight until stopped. After a visual inspection resume towing for 4,000 more miles to Montana and back with no further problems.

Regarding hookup hardware, variety is the spice of life, opinions are endless. I like the EQ, fits my budget, Hensley might? be better. In the end the #1 way to have a safe trip is to be an attentive and safe driver. Avoid getting in a situation where you are surprised. Truck brakes are not your friend in a jam. Speed kills.
Old 01-09-2012, 09:43 AM   #151
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by doh View Post
Did not read all 11 pages of posts, but the starting & stopping clunk sound I'm familiar with. Had it briefly when I first went to the EQ. Had nothing to do with the EQ - was the hole where the receiver, shank & receiver pin mate. The hole in the shank can become enlongnated slightly over the years. Replacing the shank eliminated the problem.

It is possible to get into the sway mode with a properly setup EQ, went around a 90 degree curve at 50-55 mph near Lubbock TX last August in a flat open area, got hit with a very strong wind gust & the steering wheel started sharply moving left & right ~1". Solution - ride it out, take foot off of gas, let speed drop below 35-40, lightly apply brakes when road is straight until stopped. After a visual inspection resume towing for 4,000 more miles to Montana and back with no further problems.

Regarding hookup hardware, variety is the spice of life, opinions are endless. I like the EQ, fits my budget, Hensley might? be better. In the end the #1 way to have a safe trip is to be an attentive and safe driver. Avoid getting in a situation where you are surprised. Truck brakes are not your friend in a jam. Speed kills.

I don't have an issue with your positions at all, I agree. A couple of things you said did alarm me a bit. Are you sure you have enough bar tension (wd transfer) in your setup? The reason I ask is twofold:

#1 If you've had enough back and forth action between your receiver and shank to elongate the hole, I don't think you have much WD nor sway resistence going on. The two components should be in such a bind with the rotational force applied by the bars on the head, that there would be little motion under normal driving circumstances. Hard braking and hard accelleration being the relatively rare exception.

#2, I think (only my opinion as I wasn't there). That if you had proper WD tension on the bars, you would not have seen as severe event as you describe coming around that corner. I'm not saying it wouldn't have happened....it just sounds like a "light" bar tension scenario.

Old 01-09-2012, 10:06 AM   #152
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Losing w.d. bar tension in a corner reminds me of an article Andrew Thomson wrote in "Airstream Life" about position of the hitch head. The head should be canted downward towards the rear so that when in a turn the tension on the outside bar increases, assisting stability while making the turn. The downward cant also helps resist any sway of the trailer by increasing friction on the bar.

It's difficult to condense his article and diagrams into a meaningful statement here, but the downward cant of the hitch head is something to look for in a properly set up hitch.

doug k
Old 01-09-2012, 10:10 AM   #153
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
That's a great article. Can't find it right now.

Old 01-09-2012, 10:18 AM   #154
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Here it is:

Installing_Hitch_by_Andy_Thomspon.pdf