Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Hitches, Couplers & Balls
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Closed Thread

Old 09-24-2013, 12:45 AM   #2301
OrangeKid

2013 23' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rendrag View Post
"......the whole rig is very quiet."

That is the first thing I noticed. It is almost eerie, as one waits for the usual squeaks and clatter.
We pulled into a campground after prolonged rainfall fall with the Equalizer hitch many years ago and the whole campground heard us. This was before Equalizer offered Sway Bracket Jackets. In fact we tested early versions of these jackets for Equalizer on our first trip to Alaska in 2008.
Old 09-26-2013, 10:58 AM   #2302
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
san mateo , California
Functional Simplicity

Have always sought simplicity but yet superior functionality hence immediately gravitated towards an Airstream. I feel likewise for the Andersen Hitch. Fine tuning the Andersen to achieve that driving feeling of oneness w/ a trailer and having to glance at the mirror occasionally insuring that the trailer is still there is simple, just loosen or tighten the nuts starting w/ half turns. You're set and experience the softest, quietest ride ever. But when there's any significant weight changes w/ your TT/TV like maybe adding 40 gallons of fresh water or whatnot, just fine tune again like above. After a while on the road you just know how much to turn the adjustable chain nuts for that ultimate towing feel.
Enjoying being on the road now for over a month and currently in Missouri somewhere. So thankful for the Andersen in igniting my interest in trailer traveling once again, of course, Airstream trailers, that is. Have a general goal of ending up in Disney World Florida and back to the west coast sometime via the southern route. I just can't imagine of going back to the complexity of a bar-type hitch ever again. It's more fun traveling when it's simple, safe and fully functional. Attached some pictures on some stops w/ the new 25' flying cloud and of course my new simple QB coupler I had put in. Traded my vintage 31' which equally ran great w/ the Andersen. May post again in the near future.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG0034.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	431.1 KB
ID:	196395   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG0035 (3).jpg
Views:	230
Size:	295.5 KB
ID:	196396  

Old 09-26-2013, 11:42 AM   #2303
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
dmand001, that's the same model trailer we attempted with our Andersen, it seemed quite rosy as well (until multiple issues caused us to remove it). But take it to the weight scales and see how little weight transfer the Andersen can accomplish for you. You will be heavy on the rear axle and too light on the front. Drives fine until you need good steering control such as slick roadways.

There is virtually no flexibility in this hitch design. We had elongated mounting bolt holes and possible trailer damage where the A frame meets the shell. Keep an eye on it as you continue to use the hitch.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
Old 09-26-2013, 05:15 PM   #2304
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
And the beat goes on. Jim
Old 09-27-2013, 03:46 AM   #2305
Rivet Master

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Pfafftown , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmand001 View Post
Have always sought simplicity but yet superior functionality hence immediately gravitated towards an Airstream. I feel likewise for the Andersen Hitch. Fine tuning the Andersen to achieve that driving feeling of oneness w/ a trailer and having to glance at the mirror occasionally insuring that the trailer is still there is simple, just loosen or tighten the nuts starting w/ half turns. You're set and experience the softest, quietest ride ever. But when there's any significant weight changes w/ your TT/TV like maybe adding 40 gallons of fresh water or whatnot, just fine tune again like above. After a while on the road you just know how much to turn the adjustable chain nuts for that ultimate towing feel.
Enjoying being on the road now for over a month and currently in Missouri somewhere. So thankful for the Andersen in igniting my interest in trailer traveling once again, of course, Airstream trailers, that is. Have a general goal of ending up in Disney World Florida and back to the west coast sometime via the southern route. I just can't imagine of going back to the complexity of a bar-type hitch ever again. It's more fun traveling when it's simple, safe and fully functional. Attached some pictures on some stops w/ the new 25' flying cloud and of course my new simple QB coupler I had put in. Traded my vintage 31' which equally ran great w/ the Andersen. May post again in the near future.
dmand001-

Thanks for sharing your positive experience. Please do post again in a few months and let us know how the hitch is working for you over time. Personally I'm intrigued but haven't yet decided to be an early adopter. I'm looking forward to learning more from actual users about their experiences over time and many miles.
WBCCI 3823 - Unit 12 | AIR 48265
Old 09-27-2013, 06:14 AM   #2306
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Harlingen , Texas
Thanks dmand001 for another user report. I will be on the road to South Texas before noon and look forward to the tow, with the Andersen Hitch. I will be watching for problems, as I would with any mechanical device.
Old 09-27-2013, 08:52 AM   #2307
4 Rivet Member

1987 25' Sovereign
Oregon , Ohio
Good morning all you Andersen hitch users. Last weekend we towed 300 miles with the Andersen and Quick-Bite combo. The combo worked very well on both two and four lane roads, both with heavy truck traffic. For those of you with Quick-Bite couplers, I added a third aleighment rod by wielding a small diameter collar on the Andersen stinger inline with the ball and with a rod at the ball I was able to back right into the coupler first time, every time. Hooking up has become so easy with the Andersen and the Quick-Bite that I just might try to train my dog to do it.
Old 09-27-2013, 09:53 AM   #2308

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by msmcv51 View Post
For those of you with Quick-Bite couplers, I added a third aleighment rod by wielding a small diameter collar on the Andersen stinger inline with the ball and with a rod at the ball I was able to back right into the coupler first time, every time. Hooking up has become so easy with the Andersen and the Quick-Bite that I just might try to train my dog to do it.
Could you post a picture? I'm not quite following your description.

Old 09-28-2013, 07:18 PM   #2309
4 Rivet Member

1987 25' Sovereign
Oregon , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts View Post
I will see if I can add a picture tomarrow
Old 09-30-2013, 07:43 AM   #2310
4 Rivet Member

1987 25' Sovereign
Oregon , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts View Post
I hope that I uploaded the pictures. This is the best that I can do until I hookup again, and that may not be till spring.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	102_1278.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	179.8 KB
ID:	196748   Click image for larger version

Name:	102_1277.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	204.8 KB
ID:	196749  

Name:	102_1274.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	242.5 KB
ID:	196750  
Old 10-04-2013, 05:09 AM   #2311
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Harlingen , Texas
Another complaint with the Andersen hitch came about after a thousand miles of towing last weekend. It wastes gasoline! Before, where I had to plod along at 45-50 mph to reduce the slam bang bouncing on some of our roughest highways, I was now able to maintain my normal 62-65 mph. I have traveled this route before and was pleasantly surprised by the improvement. I use a minimal amount of compression, just enough to take the bounce out.
Old 10-05-2013, 07:47 AM   #2312
4 Rivet Member

1987 25' Sovereign
Oregon , Ohio
I love Rendrag's post. Lower miles per gallon, but a much smoother ride. Could this mean less damage and repairs to the trailer. Maybe the lower amount of repair cost will make up for the little more gas burned at high speed.
Old 10-05-2013, 01:08 PM   #2313
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
And after several thousand miles I to am beginning to see some problems with the Andersen.I find myself repeatedly looking in the mirrors to see if the trailer is still there. Ford has just sent me a notice that my mirrors needed to be replaced form over use. Just another cost of having an Andersen

Old 10-05-2013, 01:34 PM   #2314
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Attached some pictures on some stops w/ the new 25' flying cloud and of course my new simple QB coupler I had put in. Traded my vintage 31' which equally ran great w/ the Andersen. May post again in the near future.
OK, now I get it. I was reading your post, and trying to put it together with the photo in your profile, which was definitely NOT a 31-footer. Congrats on getting a new TT!

Um, why not update your profile now/
Old 10-05-2013, 07:53 PM   #2315

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by msmcv51 View Post
I hope that I uploaded the pictures. This is the best that I can do until I hookup again, and that may not be till spring.
Thanks, I see what you meant. I'm very interested in upgrading to one of these quick bite couplers because our old coupler is getting worn out. I figure why not upgrade if there's better solutions out there, and the quick bite sure looks like a better mousetrap to me.

Old 10-07-2013, 01:14 PM   #2316
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
san mateo , California
In Florida

Did make it x-country and staying here for a wk or so then back to the west coast. Yes did travel in all sorts of conditions, even inadvertently going beyond 75 mph on decent driving conditions that have had to put it on cruise control from over speeding. It is that good once finely tuned and not hard to achieve as stated in a previous post. My wife even suggested driving it and perhaps a good idea. Looking at the rear view mirror is inevitable and always amazed at how quietly it tracks the TV. Remarked to my wife on how more solid and stable the TV feels w/ the trailer than w/out.

For those new here, I've had to put in a QB coupler and welded the in/outside brackets to the frame. Attaching photos, too.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	CIMG0017.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	263.7 KB
ID:	197276   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG0018.jpg
Views:	339
Size:	300.9 KB
ID:	197277  

Old 10-07-2013, 01:24 PM   #2317
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
san mateo , California
Savings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rendrag View Post
Another complaint with the Andersen hitch came about after a thousand miles of towing last weekend. It wastes gasoline! Before, where I had to plod along at 45-50 mph to reduce the slam bang bouncing on some of our roughest highways, I was now able to maintain my normal 62-65 mph. I have traveled this route before and was pleasantly surprised by the improvement. I use a minimal amount of compression, just enough to take the bounce out.
Time is money and getting there quicker pays dividends, besides not sure if gas consumption is significantly different.
Old 10-07-2013, 05:59 PM   #2318
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Harlingen , Texas
Quote:
Time is money and getting there quicker pays dividends, besides not sure if gas consumption is significantly different.
No hurry these days. I am retired and getting there is part of the fun. I do get quite a bit better mileage at 50 MPH compared to 65 MPH. I was having fun with the mileage thing, but meant it about the lack of bouncing.
Old 10-17-2013, 05:29 PM   #2319
2 Rivet Member

2014 16' Sport
RWC , California
Atwood Coupler on 16 Bambi

Question for you Anderson users:

On a new 16 foot bambi, will the coupler need to be replaced with a QB in order to use the Anderson? I'm struggling searching to find which coupler I have and whether or not it needs to be changed. Steve at Anderson mentioned the Atwood 88000 is the one that doesn't work well with the Airstreams. Is that all of them, certain ones? Any help?

Thanks.
Old 10-17-2013, 05:51 PM   #2320
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Fairbanks , Alaska
Quote:
Originally Posted by norcal bass View Post
Question for you Anderson users:

On a new 16 foot bambi, will the coupler need to be replaced with a QB in order to use the Anderson? I'm struggling searching to find which coupler I have and whether or not it needs to be changed. Steve at Anderson mentioned the Atwood 88000 is the one that doesn't work well with the Airstreams. Is that all of them, certain ones? Any help?

Thanks.
The 88000 series are what Atwood calls flip latch couplers, they also make what they call Yoke style and these are supposed to be fine. I have used the 'bad' flip latch style (with a few mods) for 2000 miles with no signs of any problems. However I will go to one the yoke style this winter before next years trips. Check their website RV Components, Gas Appliances, Marine Products, Chassis Components, Seating Systems, Windows and Doors from Atwood Mobile for pictures to see the difference.

2012 1/2 Eddie Bauer, 2016 Ram Laramie 3500 SWB 4x4 6.7L Cummins 68RFE
Closed Thread