Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 06-18-2013, 10:00 PM   #2021
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by terry.morrow View Post
New to this thread tonight. Fascinating. And for what it's worth, if the above is true, seems like good reason to stay away from this equipment.
Terry.

Steve and I are both users of this hitch. I got rid of it, he still uses it on his Casita, a small fiberglass trailer. We agree this is the only reasonable application for it. We both concur with his list of Andersen deficiencies.

doug k
Old 06-19-2013, 07:59 AM   #2022
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
I am crushed. I was looking at my Andersen WD system this morning and found rust on the base plate. I guess I should pull the system off before it falls apart. The whole system could self-destruct any minute now. I would not want my coupler to come disconnected from the receiver and leave me bleeding in a lonely ditch.
Can anyone recommend to me a 100% perfect in every way replacement.
Minimum requirements: under 70lbs, under $500, greaseless, quiet, build in anti-sway, outstanding company support and of course 100% weight distribution with any TV/trailer combination.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
Old 06-19-2013, 08:10 AM   #2023
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Terry

I had the first horse in this race since I started this thread. If you go back to the early posts you will not that I questioned several things in the manual and or offered suggestions for mechanical improvements.

Yes this a newer approach to and old problem and yes often newer approaches go through a period of improvements. Let see what has happened towards that end since this thread was posted.

1. The coupler on your trailer may not withstand the forces applied by the Andersen so you may need to change it.

Is this a problem with the hitch or a problem with the coupler? Clearly the coupler. When digital tv came out and yu had to buy a convertor box to run your old tv was that a problem with the revolution of digital tv or you tv.

2. The chains wear into the square brackets and may fail as result.

This has been addressed in manufacturing by changing the angle

3. The brackets may slip on your trailer's tongue and reduce weight distribution if not welded on.

They will slip if not tightened to the indicated torque. For those that have had them slip several simple user installable suggestions have been made to prevent this.

4. If you have a large trailer with a heavy tongue weight, the Andersen my not be able to distribute the weight properly.

For some reason most of those mentioning this condition are all towing or towed mid range trailers. I am towing a 34 fter and can say it is a vast improvement over the Reese systems, note both Duel cam and Straight line hitches that I had used for years.

5. The anti-sway "brake" material may fail and need replacement prematurely.

This is a current issue reported by 2 users at this point and one that currently does not have any rational explanation. However unlike those more expensive systems it is covered by a LIFE TIME warranty and given the level of cooperation demonstrated by Andersen to date will be covered until a result or explanation is found.

As with any new approach to a problem there will be issues. Some will shy away for the slightest reason, others will see the potential, and work with it. Goddard was questioned or feared by many in our countries leadership. However luckily some saw the potential.

Andersen has made other changes not mentioned as a problem above. I suggested this one after my after I had modified the shaft by installing a roll pin.

They have modified the bottom of the ball shank to limit movement should one raise the jack thus lifting the trailer while hitched.

Mike

Fear not had also had the problem of rust on the plate and found that there is a product called spray paint that seams to solve the problem for a period of time.

Now maybe we can limit our discussion to ongoing problems or new issues should they present themselves rather than spilt milk.

Old 06-19-2013, 08:40 AM   #2024
Rivet Idiot

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
On The Lake , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH
So there you go folks, yet another "issue" with the Andersen hitch.

Lets see if I have them all in order.

1. The coupler on your trailer may not withstand the forces applied by the Andersen so you may need to change it.

3. The brackets may slip on your trailer's tongue and reduce weight distribution if not welded on.

4. If you have a large trailer with a heavy tongue weight, the Andersen my not be able to distribute the weight properly.

Did I miss any "issues"? And, while this thread is only a year old, that's like brand new in the life of a weight distribution hitch design life.
Steve,
I have worked thru points 1-3 and they are not an issue for me. As for point 4, my trailer weighs about 6800 lbs and tongue weight is 825. I can consistantly get back to within 60 to100 pounds of unloaded front axle weight. If I crank it down, the best I can get is with 30 lbs. I never got 100% with my HaHa and could not unless I went to heavier bars. I am happy with that at 100 and it tows very well. As for wear, it is going to happen. Ever seen a HaHa after a few years of towing? I can post pic's of my broke one and also the other worn parts if you want. Many elongated holes.
Your point 5 is a big deal. I can not fix that myself so I am looking to Andersen to get that right. I fully expect they will. If not, I'll take it off, find another hitch and let you know.
Joe

Follow up:
I called Andersen Monday and they are shipping a new sleeve. It should be here Friday. No hassles at all and all solved with 1 call. I suppose you can check off # 5 now Steve.
My next trip is scheduled for the end of July so another update will be coming after that unless I have issues putting the new sleeve in.
Joe
Old 06-19-2013, 09:08 AM   #2025
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Howie, is there a factory approved touch up paint that I should use or will just any run of the mill paint work? Will the use of an unapproved paint void my warranty? I was thanking day-glow orange. I think I have a can or two lying around the garage. Do other WD systems rust? If so, sounds like a major defect in the engineering and manufacturing process.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
Old 06-19-2013, 09:10 AM   #2026
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Joe, does the sleeve look like it will easily slip in and out? I am assuming (dangerous thing to do) it is press fit. Hopefully no special tools will be required.

Old 06-19-2013, 09:16 AM   #2027
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
Howie, is there a factory approved touch up paint that I should use or will just any run of the mill paint work? Will the use of an unapproved paint void my warranty? I was thanking day-glow orange. I think I have a can or two lying around the garage. Do other WD systems rust? If so, sounds like a major defect in the engineering and manufacturing process.
OSHA. I think they requires Yellow on the exterior of a mechanical hazard and Orange on the inside so I guess you have an unexpected out of pocket expense here that may become the 7th open issue.

I would hold off for a bit. I suspect the Do Gooders will have the Andersen elevated to the level of fracking shortly and we will have to go back to the towing equivalent of vertical drilling.

But then again I doubt that they will be able to stop that revolution or this one. There is too much "riding" on it.

Old 06-19-2013, 09:18 AM   #2028
Rivet Idiot

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
On The Lake , Georgia
Just slip old one out and put new one in. Weight of trailer presses it in is my understanding Chief.
Old 06-19-2013, 09:22 AM   #2029
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
O'no, I don't have any yellow. I do have a can of day-glow green, pretty close to yellow. I would not want to upset OSHA, they might sick the IRS on me.

Old 06-19-2013, 09:25 AM   #2030
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Joe, let us know how the swap goes. Also guessing you will be getting the new red liner.

Old 06-19-2013, 12:17 PM   #2031
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
K.C. , Missouri
Quote:
Minimum requirements: under 70lbs, under $500, greaseless, quiet, build in anti-sway, outstanding company support and of course 100% weight distribution with any TV/trailer combination.
Why sure Michael ! BLUE OX meets all your needs ! The head weighs 68 pounds ( I weighed it ), the bars are of the "clean" design ( no more grease on your sporty slacks ), makes no noise, built in anti-sway, check ! ....I've talked to REAL folks on the phone at the company HQ in Nebraska when I called....and they even have a CG there where you can stay for free if you are a customer ( and they offered to look over my setup to ensure it was right ).....and 100% FALR.

So there you go.....toss that magical "A" brand wannabe hitch in the recycle heap....and get a "real" hitch....maybe buy two, and send one to Howie ?

( oh boy....I've started it now.... )
Old 06-19-2013, 01:49 PM   #2032
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Close but no Cigar. The shipping weight of the Andersen complete is under 70 lbs. You forgot the bars, chains, and brackets.

Thanks for the idea of buying 2 with one for me but i am tying to buy Doug'. I think he won't sell it because deep down he knows he will reinstall it once he see the light and hitches up the PP a few times.

Blue Ox has a couple of interesting ideas to compete with Reese. Watch the video and you will see who they are aiming at.

http://www.blueox.com/p-1181-swaypro.aspx

Not sure I see additional load to one bar as an effective damping of sway. Ring Down by opposing bars is a prolonged way to reduce sway. More of an after thought once sway starts than a stopping mechanism.

Old 06-19-2013, 02:07 PM   #2033
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
K.C. , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE View Post
Close but no Cigar. The shipping weight of the Andersen complete is under 70 lbs. You forgot the bars, chains, and brackets.

Thanks for the idea of buying 2 with one for me but i am tying to buy Doug'. I think he won't sell it because deep down he knows he will reinstall it once he see the light and hitches up the PP a few times.

Blue Ox has a couple of interesting ideas to compete with Reese. Watch the video and you will see who they are aiming at.

SwayPro By Blue Ox

Not sure I see additional load to one bar as an effective damping of sway. Ring Down by opposing bars is a prolonged way to reduce sway. More of an after thought once sway starts than a stopping mechanism.
Aw come on Howie....cut me a few pounds slack here ! That's why I stated "the head" weighs 68 pounds ! Because it's the part we pick up all the time. True....the bars add another 12 pounds. Helps me build my popeye muscles.
Michael needs to get back with me on some magical paint too....that is a flaw in the blue ox ointment.... I saw a few specks of rust on it the other day. Oh no....what to do !?
Old 06-19-2013, 02:18 PM   #2034
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
gmw photos

You don't understand. This is a fight to the finish with no prisoners taken. We have been besieged by those from the Evil Empire that are spreading all manors of false information in order to stop the HAHA killer from taking over the towing industry.

By the way the Andersen head never comes off my TV. No reason to aggravate my old back.

I started this thread because I found a hitch with unique ideas that solved several problems was have. Once I installed it and confirmed my thoughts I offered the thread for those that might also be interested in a new approach.

For some reason 3 or 4 have taken up the cause to attempt to discredit the concept even while admitting they are using or have used the hitch in what they see as limited usage. Feel free to continue to add reliant information. However if you just want to bash the Andersen see if you can convince the others to start a Bashing Thread of it's own.

Old 06-19-2013, 03:03 PM   #2035
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Gmw, nice joke. Thank you for your contribution to this Andersen WD system "users" thread. Sorry but requirements not met. Too heavy and they rust. However if you would like to cut me a check I would be happy to consider your recommendation.
I found a can of black high temp header paint hiding in a corner of the garage I think it will work just fine. That will take care of my only current personal problem with my Andersen WD system.

Old 06-19-2013, 03:15 PM   #2036
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
K.C. , Missouri
Quote:
Gmw, nice joke. Thank you for your contribution to this Andersen WD system "users" thread. Sorry but requirements not met. Too heavy and they rust. However if you would like to cut me a check I would be happy to consider your recommendation.
I found a can of black high temp header paint hiding in a corner of the garage I think it will work just fine. That will take care of my only current personal problem with my Andersen WD system.
Always glad to help Michael , in this Andersen "USERS" thread ! I figure at something over several thousand posts so far regarding this device, it's all pretty much been said ( over, and over....and over .... ) ....so I might as well throw a bit of levity into the mix. The only thing we can "really" say about this whole thing is there are some folks who will defend this hitch to the death, some will castigate it endlessly, and others ( like myself ) will just go on scratching our heads.
Old 06-19-2013, 03:20 PM   #2037
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Gmw, I wish a few others had your attitude. Keep smilling.

Old 06-19-2013, 03:36 PM   #2038
2 Rivet Member

2012 23' FB International
Kalamazoo , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE View Post
Terry

I had the first horse in this race since I started this thread. If you go back to the early posts you will not that I questioned several things in the manual and or offered suggestions for mechanical improvements.

Yes this a newer approach to and old problem and yes often newer approaches go through a period of improvements. Let see what has happened towards that end since this thread was posted.

Is this a problem with the hitch or a problem with the coupler? Clearly the coupler. When digital tv came out and yu had to buy a convertor box to run your old tv was that a problem with the revolution of digital tv or you tv.

This has been addressed in manufacturing by changing the angle

They will slip if not tightened to the indicated torque. For those that have had them slip several simple user installable suggestions have been made to prevent this.

For some reason most of those mentioning this condition are all towing or towed mid range trailers. I am towing a 34 fter and can say it is a vast improvement over the Reese systems, note both Duel cam and Straight line hitches that I had used for years.

This is a current issue reported by 2 users at this point and one that currently does not have any rational explanation. However unlike those more expensive systems it is covered by a LIFE TIME warranty and given the level of cooperation demonstrated by Andersen to date will be covered until a result or explanation is found.

As with any new approach to a problem there will be issues. Some will shy away for the slightest reason, others will see the potential, and work with it. Goddard was questioned or feared by many in our countries leadership. However luckily some saw the potential.

Andersen has made other changes not mentioned as a problem above. I suggested this one after my after I had modified the shaft by installing a roll pin.

They have modified the bottom of the ball shank to limit movement should one raise the jack thus lifting the trailer while hitched.

Mike

Fear not had also had the problem of rust on the plate and found that there is a product called spray paint that seams to solve the problem for a period of time.

Now maybe we can limit our discussion to ongoing problems or new issues should they present themselves rather than spilt milk.

Gotcha. Helpful!
I'm an early adopter in a different category, so I can understand entirely your comments about new approaches and finding ways to make work. I look forward to learning more about the Andersen and seeing how it gets improved.

Thanks!
Old 06-19-2013, 03:38 PM   #2039
2 Rivet Member

2012 23' FB International
Kalamazoo , Michigan
Quote:
I am crushed. I was looking at my Andersen WD system this morning and found rust on the base plate. I guess I should pull the system off before it falls apart. The whole system could self-destruct any minute now. I would not want my coupler to come disconnected from the receiver and leave me bleeding in a lonely ditch.
Weird post. Anything additive to offer?
Old 06-19-2013, 03:59 PM   #2040
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
K.C. , Missouri
I believe Michael was being facetious Terry. Your homework assignment for the evening is to read all 2038 previous posts. Don't skip any of them. Then it will be clear ( as mud ) to you.
Closed Thread