Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Hitches, Couplers & Balls
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Closed Thread

Old 06-18-2013, 11:28 AM   #2001
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
A properly rated load equalizing hitch, properly installed, and properly adjusted, will transfer 1/3 of the tongue weight back to the axle/axles, and 2/3 of the tongue weight to the tow vehicle, and when perfectly done, that 2/3 will be placed equally on the 4 wheels of the tow vehicle.
Andy

I am reluctant to state such a defined formula because of the number of variables, truck length, trailer length, truck weight, trailer weight, truck spring ratios.

Yes. The point that several posters here have missed in their bashing of the Andersen is the fact that SOME weight is moved to the trailer when using a WD hitch. There persist is leaving this factor out while stating all forms of Fuzzy math around 100% of weight transferred to the TV in forms of equally fuzzy ratios based on a manufactures manual.

Old 06-18-2013, 11:56 AM   #2002
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rendrag View Post
"The suggestion by one new truck manufacturer that returning their new truck to half it's front unloaded distance measurement does not create a new towing standard, ........"

Both Ford and GM have revised their requirements for front axle replacement downward by at least half. They may know as much as you about designing vehicles. The two companies are usually at or near the front with engineering expertise. Are we going to see a "dougmobile soon?
Hi, I'm not going to say you are right or wrong because I don't know; Could you scan a page from an owner's manual, stating this, and post it on this thread?
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
Old 06-18-2013, 01:14 PM   #2003
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Harlingen , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, I'm not going to say you are right or wrong because I don't know; Could you scan a page from an owner's manual, stating this, and post it on this thread?
The manuals are available as downloads. Traveling now, so scanning is not practical. GM dropped their WD requirements entirely for their HD models. They revised them on their 1500's to a range from 0-50-100% . They are now at 0% up to7,000 pound trailers for the latter. Apparently they have learned something in the past couple of years that made them change their specifications. Engineers are usually pretty conservative, so it is very interesting. This does NOT apply to sedans, delivery vans, or micro buses.
Old 06-18-2013, 01:48 PM   #2004
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1974 31' Sovereign
Milton , ON
FYI - The manual for our 2005 F350 says to return the front bumper height to within 1/2" of the unhitched height when using a WD hitch. It doesn't give a weight. The receiver itself indicates that WD is required for a trailer greater than 5000 lbs or tongue weight greater than 500 lbs.

1965 Avion C-10 Truck Camper (65avion.home.blog)
Old 06-18-2013, 03:27 PM   #2005
RLS
Rivet Master

2004 25' Classic
Prescott , Arizona
I copied this from the Ford site:

Quote:
Weight-Distributing Hitches
WARNING:
Do not adjust a weight-distributing hitch to any
position where the rear bumper of the vehicle is higher than it
was before attaching the trailer. Doing so will defeat the function of the
weight-distributing hitch, which may cause unpredictable handling, and
could result in serious personal injury.
When hooking-up a trailer using a weight-distributing hitch, always use
the following procedure:
1. Park the loaded vehicle, without the trailer, on a level surface.
2. Measure the height to the top of your vehicle’s front wheel opening
on the fender. This is H1.
3. Securely attach the loaded trailer to your vehicle without the
weight-distributing bars connected.
4. Measure the height to the top of your vehicle’s front wheel opening
on the fender a second time. This is H2.
5. Install and adjust the tension in the weight-distributing bars so that
the height of your vehicle’s front wheel opening on the fender is
approximately halfway between H1 and H2.
6. Check that the trailer is level or slightly nose down toward your
vehicle. If not, adjust the ball height accordingly and repeat
Steps 2–6.
Once the trailer is level or slightly nose down toward the vehicle:

Lock the bar tension adjuster in place.

Check that the trailer tongue securely attaches and locks onto the
hitch.

Install safety chains, lighting, and trailer brake controls as required by
law or the trailer manufacturer.
Towing
2013 F-150
(f12)
Owners Guide gf, 3rd Printing, February 2013
USA
(fus)
AIR #30685
Old 06-18-2013, 03:41 PM   #2006
3 Rivet Member

2004 28' International CCD
rockwall , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post

See Attached20130618163342.pdf

20130618164127.pdf
Old 06-18-2013, 04:29 PM   #2007
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Can I ask what if anything this discussion of manufacture's receiver specification has to do with anything?

There aren't 20 people in the world that ever even looked at that requirement let along have 10 of them here trying to reinvent the wheel.

Next you will be discussing if LT tires can be used on a trailer with an Andersen hitch. They can and I have for years. Mainly because NO ONE makes a trailer tire that will travel down the road behind my truck. And I for one am not going to slow down just to meet some manufactures specifications. The world has moved on.

Old 06-18-2013, 04:43 PM   #2008
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
My experience with the Andersen was like swimming against the current, always something until I no longer trusted it. I worried about its safety. When they decided I needed to cut the coupler off my new Airstream and weld on a new one to use this contraption, that was the last straw. It's gone.

doug k
Doug

You seam to have changed your mind from when you posted these comments.

2/23/13

I set my Andersen (and my Equal-I-Zer) according to mfg's instructions, using wheel well measurements. I have driven both thousands of miles and they both work very well, but the Andersen performs much better. I have not seen any need to weigh either one.

I'm not here to PROVE anything on this USER'S thread, just report my installation and experience. You have it as best I can, if you want more buy one, or ask Andersen.

Those who don't want to accept or understand the concept, won't, no matter what information is provided.

doug k

Old 06-18-2013, 04:50 PM   #2009
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE View Post
Andy

I am reluctant to state such a defined formula because of the number of variables, truck length, trailer length, truck weight, trailer weight, truck spring ratios.

Yes. The point that several posters here have missed in their bashing of the Andersen is the fact that SOME weight is moved to the trailer when using a WD hitch. There persist is leaving this factor out while stating all forms of Fuzzy math around 100% of weight transferred to the TV in forms of equally fuzzy ratios based on a manufactures manual.
Howie.

The formula was designed over 40 years ago.

It's not to be used as "it's that way or no way", but it is used as a ball park guide, so that if someone wants to have a general idea as to what to shoot for, then that formula helps them out.

Yes there are many variables, but the biggest one, is opinions instead of facts.

Facts usually come from several inputs.

Opinions usually come from one.

Andy
Old 06-18-2013, 05:29 PM   #2010
4 Rivet Member

Livingston , Texas
Quote:
The point that several posters here have missed in their bashing of the Andersen is the fact that SOME weight is moved to the trailer when using a WD hitch.---
Howie, will you please substantiate this seemingly unfounded claim by providing links to, or the numbers of, the posts in which these several posters have said the Andersen does not transfer any weight to the trailer?

All I've ever read are statements to the effect that the Andersen does not transfer enough load for some applications -- not that the Andersen is incapable of transferring any load at all.

Ron
Old 06-18-2013, 06:29 PM   #2011
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Doug

You seam to have changed your mind from when you posted these comments.

2/23/13

I set my Andersen (and my Equal-I-Zer) according to mfg's instructions, using wheel well measurements. I have driven both thousands of miles and they both work very well, but the Andersen performs much better. I have not seen any need to weigh either one.

I'm not here to PROVE anything on this USER'S thread, just report my installation and experience. You have it as best I can, if you want more buy one, or ask Andersen.

Those who don't want to accept or understand the concept, won't, no matter what information is provided.

doug k
I have definitely changed my mind.

doug k
Old 06-18-2013, 06:58 PM   #2012
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Doug, based on your actual personal issues with your Andersen, not the second hand reports of others, what has made you change your mind?

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
Old 06-18-2013, 07:06 PM   #2013
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
There have been several attempts to lend credibility to this experimental hitch by discrediting or mocking those who question its safety and effectiveness. This is but another.

doug k
Old 06-18-2013, 07:30 PM   #2014
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Doug, simple question. Why the reluctance too answer?

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
Old 06-18-2013, 07:53 PM   #2015
2 Rivet Member

2012 23' FB International
Kalamazoo , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
So there you go folks, yet another "issue" with the Andersen hitch.

Lets see if I have them all in order.

1. The coupler on your trailer may not withstand the forces applied by the Andersen so you may need to change it.

2. The chains wear into the square brackets and may fail as result.

3. The brackets may slip on your trailer's tongue and reduce weight distribution if not welded on.

4. If you have a large trailer with a heavy tongue weight, the Andersen my not be able to distribute the weight properly.

5. The anti-sway "brake" material may fail and need replacement prematurely.

Did I miss any "issues"? And, while this thread is only a year old, that's like brand new in the life of a weight distribution hitch design life.
New to this thread tonight. Fascinating. And for what it's worth, if the above is true, seems like good reason to stay away from this equipment.
Old 06-18-2013, 08:11 PM   #2016
2 Rivet Member

Kalamazoo , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
Doug, simple question. Why the reluctance too answer?
I have no horse in this race but it seems that this continued questioning means you require something bad to happen in order for someone to not prefer or recommend the experience with a particular piece if equipment. That's peculiar...to me anyway.

I'm interested in both reviews of this hitch.
The flaming is fun to read but pretty silly.
Old 06-18-2013, 08:11 PM   #2017
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Terry, that list is one persons opinion and not necessarly a 100 per cent correct one.

Old 06-18-2013, 08:22 PM   #2018
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Terry, welcome to the discussion. Standing by for your next contribution.

Old 06-18-2013, 08:25 PM   #2019
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
I bought this hitch for its light weight, low cost, and rave reviews. There is no perfect hitch, everything is a compromise. The commonly called upgrade from this hitch, a Propride, is a significant hit to the wallet and is really heavy. My Airstream and this hitch just fit within the hitch rating of my TV. A Propride requires purchase of a 3/4 ton truck just to deal with the extra hitch weight.

Like others I'm none to pleased to have to swap out my coupler due to the Anderson long term compatibility issue.
Old 06-18-2013, 09:19 PM   #2020
2 Rivet Member

Kalamazoo , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
Terry, that list is one persons opinion and not necessarly a 100 per cent correct one.
Fair enough. It read as though it was a summation of several experiences but its possible I misinterpreted.

In any case, even those who seem more in the "middle" on this hitch seem to be sharing some concerns.

In full disclosure, I'm very new to all of this and as such, am rather ignorant on the topic. I was just commenting --maybe unfairly-- that there were posts that seemed to really badger people who critiqued it and for the person parachuting into the conversation, that reads a little odd. After all, there has to be a basic premise that opinions are subjective and experiences vary, yes?
Closed Thread