Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 11-10-2012, 05:42 PM   #881
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
I would assume all production now has the dropped angle brackets but you might ask if ordering from a dealer that may have OLD stock.

Old 11-11-2012, 01:04 PM   #882
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
This seems to be what happened to me. Anderson Co. referred me to a distributor and I ordered from them. When it came it had the earlier design bracket. Check when placing the order so you get the most current design.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

Old 11-11-2012, 02:11 PM   #883
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmand001 View Post
"Just read the entire thread and got to know everyone just like characters in a novel but especially got to know the Andersen Hitch. What valuable information and thank you all. I've also read the PP thread and felt the same way. I believe that these 2 hitches are the best today. The PP is solid, no sway, WD adjustment great and customer support unmatched, Sean. The Andersen eliminates just about all sway, just about as solid but for the mounting brackets and tubing issues which are fixable, customer support, good. I will definitely buy one or the other for our cross country trip next spring . . . . "
The two hitches are not comparable, much though the proponents of the Andersen would like them to be. In fact, they are not even close.

The Andersen has thus far failed to prove itself an adequate weight distribution hitch with medium to heavier TW trailers. The anti-sway as described is no better than any of a number of proven WD hitches, and not at all the equal of a VPP style hitch.

Andrew_T of CAN AM RV already shot this down (however kindly he may have done it) in an earlier post. No one here is his peer.

Vehicle manufacturers relying on SAE testing require proper weight distribution across both vehicles once a particular TW or trailer weight is reached. Anti-sway is only recommended.

A hitch that has some anti-sway is nice . . but if it does not address the fundamental requirement of proper weight distribution except on the lightest TV-TT combinations then alternatives should be considered. Side-to-side sway resistance is not the measure of a WDH hitch. That measure would be keeping TV yaw stability within bounds per formula.

Fender height measurements don't cut it, either, for accurate determinations of WDH effectiveness as they are prone to all sorts of errors. Only a certified weight scale suffices. A properly-engineered WD hitch can restore the TV front axle to the weight value it shows when unhitched. If it cannot, do not consider it adequate to the requirement.

SAE J2807 has a fairly wide range of coverage, despite narrowness in some instances. Some concerns posted here: Richard Klein, P.E

Until someone can demonstrate just how an Andersen can meet the requirement on other than a lightweight TT & TV, then look elsewhere for a decent WD hitch.

Old 11-11-2012, 02:55 PM   #884
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
The SAE J2807 critique is very interesting and leads me to believe that common sense and paying attention to detail is just as important as advertising hype.
Old 11-11-2012, 05:13 PM   #885
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Rednax

Most of the discussion has been limited to Airstream trailers and their tow vehicles.

Last time I checked my 34 ft trailer was about a big as they get and my Excursion diesel TV was also about as big as they come for that size trailer.

Not sure if you missed it or just chose to ignore my comments on the effectiveness of the Andersen compared to a Reese. Yes the Ha Ha "may" have an advantage but I can' comment on that having never used one. But given the effectiveness of the Andersen I can't see the justification for 5 times the cost. Then that impression is only based on over 250,000 miles of towing trailers with WD hitches.

As for your comment that fender heights can not be used as a means of showing weight transfer I have to question your thoughts. What other explanation can you offer for the depression of the front axle and the rise in the rear axle height on the TV if it is not weight transfer.

Yes Andy has had a reputation of knowledge relating to hitch setups but his comments here were so far off that I felt sorry for him. He offered his comments without ever having set an Andersen up or have even seen one.
A poor position to have taken such a strong stand on.

I ask you to correct me if I am wrong and guide me to a more effective hitch than the Andersen. But in the mean time I will tow my heavy trailer with my heavy truck defying your presented theory.

Old 11-11-2012, 05:20 PM   #886
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
We have set up the Andersen hitch with the phone advice of Dave Andersen. It levels the trailer and returns the truck to its unhitched attitude without problems. There is no movement of the brackets and no chain wear.

There is no "dialing in", only one adjustment and that is the height of the drop bar. You tighten the chains as needed, raise the hitch jack, and you either have it right or you don't; that is crystal clear with a tape measure.

After 3700 miles of use in heavy crosswind, on rough roadways, sharing Interstate highways with trucks, an emergency braking and lane change to avoid another car moving into our lane, during rain and wet roads there has never been a hint of sway. There is no sidewind push felt on the steering wheel. There is no porpoising from "spring" bars as on all other w.d. hitches, especially on segmented concrete roadways.

If there is a strong crosswind from the driver's side, you will feel a semi passing (isn't this true of all hitches, I don't know never used a Hensley/Propride) but it induces no sway whatsoever. If I had LT tires instead of the factory passenger rated tires on the truck I may not feel even that, or at least less. If there is little crosswind from the driver's side you may not feel any semi push.

That is our Andersen user experience with 2012 Ram Express 4x4 reg cab with factory brake controller and electronic sway control. Others may have a different outcome (Andrew T.) but I would wonder if they followed Andersen instructions or tried to adjust it based on experience.

doug k
Old 11-11-2012, 05:38 PM   #887
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post

If there is a strong crosswind from the driver's side, you will feel a semi passing (isn't this true of all hitches, I don't know never used a Hensley/Propride) but it induces no sway whatsoever. If I had LT tires instead of the factory passenger rated tires on the truck I may not feel even that, or at least less. If there is little crosswind from the driver's side you may not feel any semi push.
doug k
Doug,

I own and use a ProPride hitch towing my '10 31' Airstream, and while I have never had a sway, I do feel trucks passing me if I am too close to their lane, or if there is a wind from their direction when they pass.

It is not a problem, mind you, but in certain situations, it is felt, as i believe it would be felt with any type of hitch.

It is interesting to me how Rednax knows problems exist with a hitch he has never owned, much less used, and has been reported as working fine from every actual owner/user to date. Maybe he could give us some tips on the stock market?
Old 11-12-2012, 04:49 AM   #888
4 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari
saline , Michigan
Andy T did purchase one and posted his experience with it but I was completely perplexed by his findings. Our 28' Safari has almost 900# tongue weight and we have no problem getting things level with my 1/2 ton Chevy. I did have issues with the stinger and the slipping brakets, but once correctd, I was able to get things right. I did not visit the scales but I have nt doubt I have good weight distribution. Anyone who has done a lot of towing , myself included, can tell when the front end is too light. Over 5,000 miles now on the Andersen in a variety of conditions. I would never go back to my Equalizer.
There were a few posts that did post numbers from scales that confirmed proper weight dist. and other posts with numbers on chain tension . Engineers here ran the numbers and argued a bit but came to a conclusion that the math works, confirming what we actual users already knew.
Old 11-12-2012, 06:30 AM   #889
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosm1o View Post
Andy T did purchase one and posted his experience with it but I was completely perplexed by his findings. Our 28' Safari has almost 900# tongue weight and we have no problem getting things level with my 1/2 ton Chevy. I did have issues with the stinger and the slipping brakets, but once correctd, I was able to get things right. I did not visit the scales but I have nt doubt I have good weight distribution. Anyone who has done a lot of towing , myself included, can tell when the front end is too light. Over 5,000 miles now on the Andersen in a variety of conditions. I would never go back to my Equalizer.
There were a few posts that did post numbers from scales that confirmed proper weight dist. and other posts with numbers on chain tension . Engineers here ran the numbers and argued a bit but came to a conclusion that the math works, confirming what we actual users already knew.
By looking at the pictures posted by Andy T, it's clear to me the chain attachment bolts were bottomed out in the brackets, which prevented him from actually getting the weight distribution required, while still compressing the nylon springs.

For whatever reason, Andy probably didn't want to hitch to work out well.
Old 11-12-2012, 02:02 PM   #890
4 Rivet Member

2001 25' Safari
London , Ontario
Well, from what I understand all AndrewT said was he was unable to get the Andersen hitch to transfer enough weight to equalize the load on the front and rear axles on a test setup. After reading through this thread and over at RV.NET, I've yet to see any before/after CAT scale numbers that clearly demonstrates the Andersen hitch is capable of complete weight distribution. Lots of anecdotal stories, but nothing definitive yet...unless I missed it.
Set-up by Can-Am RV
Old 11-12-2012, 02:37 PM   #891
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfield View Post
Well, from what I understand all AndrewT said was he was unable to get the Andersen hitch to transfer enough weight to equalize the load on the front and rear axles on a test setup. After reading through this thread and over at RV.NET, I've yet to see any before/after CAT scale numbers that clearly demonstrates the Andersen hitch is capable of complete weight distribution. Lots of anecdotal stories, but nothing definitive yet...unless I missed it.
You missed it. But, then again it has been proven post after post the Andersen system does work as advertised by actual owners and users. Several actual users have posted scale numbers that back up the manufacture claims. Look again, I am not going to do the work for you or Rednax.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
Old 11-12-2012, 04:54 PM   #892
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Some argumentative and insulting posts made in this thread have been removed for discussion by the moderators. At a later time, some may or may not be restored, but in the meanwhile, we strongly suggest that the friendly tone of the thread be restored.

Your co-operation is appreciated.
Old 11-13-2012, 10:01 AM   #893
1 Rivet Member

Princeton , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
You missed it. But, then again it has been proven post after post the Andersen system does work as advertised by actual owners and users. Several actual users have posted scale numbers that back up the manufacture claims. Look again, I am not going to do the work for you or Rednax.
I did hit a CAT scale with my Excursion and 1,200 lb TW TT. This summer. Although my wheel well heights indicated my vehicle was at the same position as unloaded, I was not able to get my rear axle under 5,800lbs. ( about 600 over capacity, however, I did install a RAS). I did have one of the bushings blow out on the road as I continued to tighten it up to get more weight off the rear axle. Anderson did replace teh bushing with 2 day delivery.
This really bummed me out as I love the ease of hooking and unhooking the hitch and sway control was as good and in my opinion better than my Equalizer brand hitch.

I have been in contact with Anderson to see if anything else can be done. There is a little concern that the X's heavy rear weight may be an issue.

I am hoping that by working with Anderson we are able to get this dialed in.
Old 11-13-2012, 10:37 AM   #894
3 Rivet Member

2006 34' Classic S/O
Lakewood , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage
Some argumentative and insulting posts made in this thread have been removed for discussion by the moderators. At a later time, some may or may not be restored, but in the meanwhile, we strongly suggest that the friendly tone of the thread be restored.

Your co-operation is appreciated.
I have been following this thread from the beginning, and I have enjoyed the input from a wide range of posters. The technical posts from several of the more knowledgeable forum members were lively and informative.

As I had been towing with an older Reese with the trunion bars and friction controls, that came with the trailer, and this past June I turned too sharply coming out of a campground in Vermont, I destroyed both friction controls, bending the top balls into a U-shaped pretzel. Turns out I managed to crack the Reese at the point the bars attach to the hitch head. I realized it was time for a new hitch, and with the aid of the Andersen hitch thread I decided to purchase the Andersen.

I purchased directly from Andersen off their web site, paid the price and seven days later I got my hitch. Installation was straightforward , and I got it done in short order, and for the first time I was able to get the trailer and truck perfectly level. With the Reese the trailer always rode a little low in the back end, and I couldn't get it any more level, so I assumed that was the way the Reese did it's job. Our first trip with the Andersen was a fifteen hundred mile round trip, and after about eighty miles I noticed that the front end of the truck seemed loose and it steered sloppy. I pulled over and checked my set up. I was at the seven threads recommended, and the trailer and truck were still level, so after checking the instructions again I redid the set up but I went to eight threads, and hit the road again. Immediately, the loose sloppy feeling was gone and the steering was great. We continued on and had no other issues with the hitch. My wife noticed how much smoother the truck and trailer rode, even on some of the rougher roads. I noticed that the trailer wag that I had with the Reese, was gone and that the trailer followed the truck much straighter. All in all I am very impressed with the Andersen. As for the contentions that the Andersen does not distribute the weight like a traditional WD hitch, for me is not an issue. I towed five years plus with the Reese, more than fifty thousand miles, and since switching to the Andersen system I noticed a huge improvement in control, stability, and reduced sway. I am enjoying towing my 34 foot Limited with my F-350 diesel more now than I did with the Reese, I have more confidence with the Andersen.
I hope posters to this thread can keep the lively reparte going without getting personal, as for me it makes the discussion interesting and along the way I pick up tidbits that I can apply to my life as an Airstreamer.

Regards,

Reganzo
Old 11-13-2012, 10:52 AM   #895
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
Just a thought;should there be different "weights" of bushings depending on the weight of the trailer? There are different weight bars for the equalizer.
Also,the 7 thread position, doesn't this depend on the placement of the brackets on the trailer. The closer to the ball the more threads to get the 1/4 in compression on the bushings or the farther the less threads needed????
Old 11-13-2012, 11:05 AM   #896
1 Rivet Member

2010 19' Flying Cloud
1969 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Bradford , Vermont
Set screws in the frame brackets

I'm getting ready to install my new Andersen WD hitch for the first time on a 19 ft, 2010 Bambi flying cloud. I noticed in the instructions there are optional methods of securing the frame brackets. Does anyone have thoughts about using the basic set screw method as instructed, as opposed to using either of the optional methods mentioned in the manual: ie, drilling a hole in the frame for them, or welding a small strip in front of the brackets?

Any cautionary notes before I start this?
Old 11-13-2012, 11:09 AM   #897
1 Rivet Member

Princeton , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airtandem View Post
Just a thought;should there be different "weights" of bushings depending on the weight of the trailer? There are different weight bars for the equalizer.
Also,the 7 thread position, doesn't this depend on the placement of the brackets on the trailer. The closer to the ball the more threads to get the 1/4 in compression on the bushings or the farther the less threads needed????
This is what I am hoping their engineers come up with for my application. It's probably not as important for 1-ton owners as they are more likely looking for the sway control
Old 11-13-2012, 11:19 AM   #898
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
A thought and qustion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reganzo View Post
With the Reese the trailer always rode a little low in the back end, and I couldn't get it any more level, so I assumed that was the way the Reese did it's job.
I too have not tried the Andersen but read the posts with interest. Thnxs to all who have posted with their experiences.

Mr. T has written many times that less than 15% of the combo's on the roads today are connected optimally, thus a loss of performance. As Reganzo has pointed out his set up was one of them (trailer tail too low),(trailer wag).

I'm wondering if the apparent success of the Andersen is the fact it appears to be so simple to install and set up? Also users don't have to try to figure out what weight rating of torsion bar is needed to get the connection right. Realizing many folks have the wrong bars which cause diminished performance.

Perhaps a rig like Reganzo's with the Reese would have been as good or even better than the Andersen if it had been set up optimally???
Old 11-13-2012, 01:39 PM   #899
3 Rivet Member

2006 34' Classic S/O
Lakewood , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Ruler

Mr. T has written many times that less than 15% of the combo's on the roads today are connected optimally, thus a loss of performance. As Reganzo has pointed out his set up was one of them (trailer tail too low),(trailer wag).

Perhaps a rig like Reganzo's with the Reese would have been as good or even better than the Andersen if it had been set up optimally???
Great question Road Ruler,

When I purchased my trailer the Reese came with it. I took the truck and trailer to an RV dealer in Easton Pennsylvania that sold Reese hitches. I asked them to check my set up, and they made a couple of adjustments, and told me I was good to go. I took them at their word and off we went.

Now with the experience I have towing, and the knowledge I have picked up off the forum, I realize my set up was one of the 15 % that was not set up properly. That said I am still happy I went to the Andersen, and I find it easier to hitch and unhitch than the Reese, and backing into campsites is much easier as the turning radius of the Andersen is far better than the Reese ever was. All in all for me, a better fit... I am not trying to change minds, just sharing my experiences with fellow Airstreamers.

Regards

Reganzo
Old 11-13-2012, 03:02 PM   #900
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
I would ask everyone to Please get away from this idea that any 2 trailers can be set up the same by just tightening the bushings up to 7 threads. 7 threads is a suggested starting point not a finished point.

There are far too many variables. trailer weight, TV spring sets, tongue weight, installation measurements ect. to have a single solution for all systems. If you have recorded your fender heights before installation. Set the Andersen up to transfer weight to the front axle, depending on some number of threads showing, while still having the trailer ride Parallel to the ground you have met your goal. Proof and satisfaction can be gained by scale tickets. Scale tickets will also determine if you have over or underloaded the front axle, an important factor in retaining steering geometry.

As for the TV fender heights being the same before and after hitching up that is an impossibility unless the axles are welded to the frame and the tires are rock hard. Tongue weight has been applied to the TV and depending on your tension on the chains will cause depression of the TV springs.

Closed Thread