Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Hitches, Couplers & Balls
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Closed Thread

Old 09-25-2012, 11:44 AM   #721
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
mrad, what is your tow vehicle and trailer?

doug k
Old 09-25-2012, 12:03 PM   #722
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Just finished reading the entire thread. There seems to be a need for more fine tuning of this hitch design. While one member has the large system, I am looking to see how this works for those of us with more modest sized gear. I will pick up my first large trailer (19' Flying Cloud) in a couple of weeks and have to decide which hitch to start with. TW is a 2007 Mercedes ML 320 CDI with factory air suspension.

I liked the greaseless concept and less heavy parts to store somewhere when not towing. Thanks for the interesting discussion.
Old 09-25-2012, 12:16 PM   #723
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
switz, I would recommend you give the Andersen a try. I think it would work just fine for your combination. If for any reason you are not happy with the results it can be returned within 90 days. I have not come across anyone here or on other forums that have felt the need to return theirs. If you have any fit or setup questions the folks at Andersen are most helpful on the phone and will go into as much detail as you need to answer your questions.
By the way on the other forums it is pretty much the same discussion tone as here almost word for word and in some cases exactly word for word (copy and paste?).

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
Old 09-25-2012, 12:18 PM   #724
1 Rivet Member

Princeton , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
mrad, what is your tow vehicle and trailer?

doug k
Steer Axle 3820
Drive Axle-4,400

This was with Family, gear and full tank of gas

Tow Vehicle is a 2003 Ford Excursion V10

Travel trailer is a 2011 Palimino Sabre

Palomino RV - Manufacturer of Quaility RVs since 1968

Our trailer is not the silouhette and has 1,100 lbs tongue weight and weighs 8,200 dry
Old 09-25-2012, 06:14 PM   #725
4 Rivet Member

Livingston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
---I have not come across anyone here or on other forums that have felt the need to return theirs.---
RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Towing: New Andersen WD hitch

Ron
Old 09-25-2012, 07:59 PM   #726
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Thanks Ron, I have seen that thread. I did not try to wade thru all of it. Too much fuzzy arm chair math for my taste. I do wonder if the guy you pointed too in the link talked to Andersen about his issues, gave them a chance to help him out and actually ended up sending his Andersen back.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
Old 09-25-2012, 08:02 PM   #727
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
It looks like his problem may have been not drilling holes for the set screws. There is reference to that a few post removed from the one you posted.

It is interesting that the reactions from both sides seams to be the same on that thread also. Those that question the hitch and those that use the hitch.

Old 09-25-2012, 08:33 PM   #728
4 Rivet Member

Livingston , Texas
Quote:
---I do wonder if the guy you pointed too in the link talked to Andersen about his issues, gave them a chance to help him out and actually ended up sending his Andersen back.
Yes, according to his posts, he did return the hitch to Andersen.

You'd have to ask him about the details.

Ron
Old 09-25-2012, 09:03 PM   #729

Omaha , Nebraska
Quote:
switz, I would recommend you give the Andersen a try. I think it would work just fine for your combination. If for any reason you are not happy with the results it can be returned within 90 days. I have not come across anyone here or on other forums that have felt the need to return theirs. If you have any fit or setup questions the folks at Andersen are most helpful on the phone and will go into as much detail as you need to answer your questions.
By the way on the other forums it is pretty much the same discussion tone as here almost word for word and in some cases exactly word for word (copy and paste?).
I've read this in several forums - Andersen's 90 day money back guarantee. I called Andersen Friday and they offer no such policy. In fact, they sell only to their dealer network. I then called 2 of the most frequently mentioned sellers of this hitch in some of the other forums I have been watching. None offer this guarantee either.

I've been watching this forum carefully and I absolutely love the discussion. I just don't have an Airstream, but am looking for first hand user feedback on the hitch. Thanks for the great info so far.
Old 09-25-2012, 09:19 PM   #730
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
I bought my hitch directly from Andersen. It was custom made for my trailer 3 inch frame and was the first one they did make for a 3 inch frame. And I was most certainly was told by Dave Andersen that I could return within 90 days if for any reason I was not happy with it. I also know for a fact that least 2 sellers that sell thru eBay offer 90 day returns and that Andersen supports them on that. Not sure what your motives are but you are totally incorrect in your statement.

Old 09-26-2012, 06:48 AM   #731
1 Rivet Member

Princeton , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE View Post
It is interesting that the reactions from both sides seams to be the same on that thread also. Those that question the hitch and those that use the hitch.
I will agree with this. I wonder if it has something to do with the apparent looking simplicity of the hitch and relative low cost.

I had posted on the RV.net forum that during our 3,000+mile trip this summer using the Anderson, I had times I didn't know the trailer was behind me and actually panicked until I looked in the rear view mirror. One of the members scolded me for being inattentive. Said you should always feel the TT behind you. I cannot compare this to a Hensley or Pro-pride as I have never used one, but it is an improvement in terms of sway control from my Equalizer.

Not sure if Anderson stopped the free trial period. When I called them with concerns about the WD, they offered some suggestions and told me if I can't get the hitch to work for my application, they would work with the seller to make sure I got my money back. They said they did not want their hitch out there if it did not work for a particular application.
Old 09-26-2012, 01:21 PM   #732
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
I sent an email to Anderson asking about the chain angle and wear issues. I received this back from Andrew:

"Hello Michael –thank you for contacting Andersen Hitches. The least expensive option for you would be to remove all 4 bracket bolts, set screws, and both inside brackets, then place your outside brackets at the correct angle for a straight shot (with tension on your chain, about 1-2 threads showing on chain bolt) and tack weld both brackets in place using a 2" weld per instructions in the installation manual.

Another option would be to purchase the standard 5"–6" outside brackets from us, which would give you a little bit of a drop, and then weld them in place. Cost for a pair of 5"–6" outside brackets would be $69 + $10 shipping.

For a complete set of custom brackets (2 inside, 2 outside) cut to spec length and with holes drilled in the appropriate places – $99.99 + $40 custom set up + $12 shipping.

Please contact us if you need further help or would like to proceed with one of the above bracket options."

My current brackets were made for my 3" frame. If I went to the standard 5"-6" brackets that would give me at least a 2" drop. I think that would just about line up all the moving parts.

Old 09-26-2012, 01:46 PM   #733
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
They sure as hell did not make any friends there. We advise them of a shortfall in their design and they come back with a solution with that kind of margin tacked to it.

I have someone coming to look at my Andersen Thursday. May not be as enthusiastic as I would have been before that post.

Old 09-26-2012, 02:17 PM   #734
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Not real thrilled with their response either. I have a call into Dave Andersen, the guy I normally deal with. Will have to wait to see what he says about the issue. I actually thought/hoped that they would simply send out another set of extended brackets for free or at least a more reasonable cost.

Old 09-26-2012, 05:29 PM   #735
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
I talked to Dave, and sent email with the pics of my chain wear.. One was pretty bad. He sent me a new chain to replace the badly worn one. Either way I'm happy...

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
Old 09-26-2012, 06:07 PM   #736
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
Michael (awchief); if you haven't had your hitch for longer than the warrenty, why not return it? Than you could order the hitch that Dave is suggesting and set it up accordingly.
Old 09-26-2012, 06:49 PM   #737
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Airtandem: I have had it from this past Febuary, so well past the 90 day return period. I did talk to Dave Andersen and he is going to see what they can do to send my new brackets if not free at a better price than I was quoted. He has to check with the BOSS on that.

Old 09-26-2012, 08:50 PM   #738

Omaha , Nebraska
Quote:
I bought my hitch directly from Andersen. It was custom made for my trailer 3 inch frame and was the first one they did make for a 3 inch frame. And I was most certainly was told by Dave Andersen that I could return within 90 days if for any reason I was not happy with it. I also know for a fact that least 2 sellers that sell thru eBay offer 90 day returns and that Andersen supports them on that. Not sure what your motives are but you are totally incorrect in your statement.
I have no "motive" other than to warn others that Andersen does not generally (didn't say always) sell to the general public. As such, I've not been able to obtain this 90 day guarantee from them. I spoke directly with the Andersen folks and they told me point blank, they offer no such guarantee. I did check ebay tonight and I see no current/recent sellers advertising any such guarantee. If this is something you believe is in fact a common policy, please point me to the seller or marketing info that offer it. I am very interested in trying before I make a $500 committment. Thank you.
Old 09-27-2012, 05:16 AM   #739
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Rat, you are correct about one thing. There does not seem to currently be anyone on ebay selling them.

Old 09-27-2012, 06:19 AM   #740
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Ebay has many for sale, with various money back trials less than 90 days.

doug k
Closed Thread