Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Hitches, Couplers & Balls
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Closed Thread

Old 09-08-2012, 06:55 PM   #501
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by snakecharmer View Post
What is trolling?
Seriously.
(I'm kinda new at this)
Trolling is when people make post just to get reactions or posts from other people, and will continue to direct their posts (normally not factual) to get more reactions. All the while claiming it in the interest of the topic that is being discussed. They are not really interested in the Topic, but just posting..

And Once ignored they stop..

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
Old 09-08-2012, 06:55 PM   #502
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Troll (Internet) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'm having trouble seeing who is trolling here........just saying......

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 09-08-2012, 06:58 PM   #503
2 Rivet Member

1971 21' Globetrotter
Cave Creek , Arizona
Thanks dznf0g!

I certainly didn't intend to troll, having no idea what it meant (I hate computers)
Old 09-08-2012, 07:01 PM   #504
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE View Post
A very interesting point. I just went out and looked. The ware is from the movement caused while the bushings are compressed and relaxed do to bumps in the road and "thank you mams" in the road, small hills and valleys.

I have to say that the picture show more ware than I would have expected for the time I have had my hitch, then again I live in New Jersey and travel a lot on Pa. 2 states that compete against I 10 in LA. for the worst roads in the nation.

From what I have seen to date this looks like the point of eventual failure. Not that it will be a catastrophic failure, the bottom of the bracket will just start to tear and produce a sharp edge. Other than lube I do not see a solution. If the tube on the bracket was changed to align with the chain that would put the nuts end of the screw too close to the frame for convenient access.
Mine are like that too.. I have done some re-fitting of much hitch, I will post latter.. If they move again I will weld them to the frame as Andersen suggests in their directions.

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
Old 09-08-2012, 07:02 PM   #505
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by snakecharmer View Post
Thanks dznf0g!

I certainly didn't intend to troll, having no idea what it meant (I hate computers)
Your not trolling

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
Old 09-08-2012, 09:02 PM   #506
3 Rivet Member

2015 30' Flying Cloud
Ventura , California
Big rig 'bump'

Do you Anderson hitch users experience any 'push' that is noticeable when being passed by a big rig? I am interested in details such as whether you can feel it or not and, or, do you have to make steering corrections? With my former Hensley and a GMC 2500HD with a Safari 28, there was absolutely no sensation of being passed. I am considering the ProPride but would go with the Anderson if I can be convinced I won't notice this phenomenon. Thanks.
Old 09-08-2012, 10:07 PM   #507
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
It should be noted that although you may not sense any "push" when being passed by a big rig with the Hensley hitch design, the forces are still present. The Hensley holds the entire rig in line as one unit. Wonderful, but there is a point at which the whole rig will lose traction, you just won't know it until it does. That takes a lot of force but the possibility exists with a combination of adverse conditions, the "perfect storm".

doug k
Old 09-08-2012, 10:09 PM   #508
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Newby with only 32 posts?

Hi, I like reading this thread and learning about this hitch, but bashing a newby because he is trying to figure out the physics of this hitch is just not right. I remember when I was a newby and some people were reluctant to listen to me too. Do you remember when you were a newby? mstephens is trying to see if the numbers work and how this new hitch works. Either you can help him, or you can't. Just because he only has 32 posts, doesn't mean that he is stupid or arguing. You are the ones being argumentative, not him. Resorting to calling someone a TROLL because he wants to think deeper than most, which is something I have done most of my life, is not a bad thing. As my Mom would say, "Try looking in a mirror."

Hi, I think the idea of putting a roll pin in the lower part of the ball shaft was a good idea. Even if you don't plan on lifting it with your tongue jack, you wouldn't want it to fall out either. I also believe that the chain brackets could/should be re-designed too. I would want the Acme threaded shaft to be longer and run in a round tube, pointed downward towards the triangle plate. [straight shot] There should be a guide so the shaft wouldn't turn and no part of the chain would enter the bracket. Questionable whether the chains and connecting links should be stronger/larger.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
Old 09-08-2012, 10:10 PM   #509
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
<<mod hat on>>

The Moderators have been watching this thread since there was a request to close it posted.

However, until any decision is made by the Site Team to take action (or not), I would like to make the following comments for you to consider in the interim:
  • As you should all be aware, the core ideal of the Community Rules is the "be nice" standard against which we measure all reported behaviour. Please keep this in mind as you construct your posts.
  • Any member may post his thoughts in a thread on Airforums.com as long as it adheres to the Community Rules, another one of which is that we must stay on topic. To be clear, ownership of an item is not required in order to be allowed to discuss it.
  • Lastly, a heated debate is also usually a healthy one, as long as the discussion does not get personal. Debate the ideas, not the personalities, please ("be nice").

FYI, a link to the Community Rules is at the bottom of most pages in Airforums.com.

[/mod hat off]
Old 09-08-2012, 11:17 PM   #510
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Robert

it became apparent to some of us that he really wasn't interested in the real numbers as he decided to not contact Andersen and proceed to make calculations without information to make the right calculations. this is misleading information to others. Myself and others encouraged him to call Andersen to get this information as it would be useful for others like himself looking for it.

As a user of the hitch the numbers do not translate to what we are seeing in the real world. He also posted later numbers that were not the same as earlier ones, or not the same others had come up with. Everyone has different numbers. ???????? Something is amiss

Personally I don't care about the numbers (As most don't with a traditional WD) as I know the hitch works very well. But for those looking for them, they need to call Andersen to get information that would be critical to their calculations. When people post different numbers and all claim to be right, well they can't now, can they.

Also when someone persist to post information again and again that contradicts others, it starts to smell a little like trolling to me. Now it may not be, he may be truly trying to figure things out. But if this is the case, why not call Andersen to get the real skinny? IMO

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
Old 09-08-2012, 11:25 PM   #511
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Maybe we need another thread for this type of info. This thread has diverged into the numbers game a few times, as it is a new type of WD and seems to get the engineers amongst us minds going ( not a bad thing) but maybe a different thread is appropriate for that, and we keep this one to users experience mostly. ( mostly)

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
Old 09-08-2012, 11:52 PM   #512
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by rp709
Do you Anderson hitch users experience any 'push' that is noticeable when being passed by a big rig? I am interested in details such as whether you can feel it or not and, or, do you have to make steering corrections? With my former Hensley and a GMC 2500HD with a Safari 28, there was absolutely no sensation of being passed. I am considering the ProPride but would go with the Anderson if I can be convinced I won't notice this phenomenon. Thanks.
I will say I can feel them go by sometimes and also sometimes when passing them. But there is no sway it's a slight nudge of both TV and AS as one unit. I have had to make slight steering adjustment a few times. But I am a lot lighter than you are.

I am towing with 1/2 ton sequoia, not a 3/4 ton truck, and a 68' AS. Going into the Columbia river gorge I had 25+ mph side winds. I got nudged some, but no trailer sway. I watched other go all over the road with Wd hitches a friction sway control.

I have been very happy with the Andersen over my basic WD hitch, and friction sway. For me the selling point was the easy connect and disconnect, also the built in sway control. No other thing to hook up , and down the road I go. Simple and effective.

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
Old 09-09-2012, 04:35 AM   #513
4 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari
saline , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by rp709
Yes, the truck and trailer tend to move as a unit which is something I don't remember experiencing with the Equilizer. I am thinking this is due to the greater friction control. I only experience this from the bow wake of a truck passing me. I get no sensation from trucks coming at me from the opposite direction. Nor any sway or movement from big side winds.
Maybe someone with an Equilizer can chime in if my memory is flawed on that one.
Old 09-09-2012, 06:38 AM   #514
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by purman View Post
Robert

it became apparent to some of us that he really wasn't interested in the real numbers as he decided to not contact Andersen and proceed to make calculations without information to make the right calculations. this is misleading information to others. Myself and others encouraged him to call Andersen to get this information as it would be useful for others like himself looking for it.

As a user of the hitch the numbers do not translate to what we are seeing in the real world. He also posted later numbers that were not the same as earlier ones, or not the same others had come up with. Everyone has different numbers. ???????? Something is amiss

Personally I don't care about the numbers (As most don't with a traditional WD) as I know the hitch works very well. But for those looking for them, they need to call Andersen to get information that would be critical to their calculations. When people post different numbers and all claim to be right, well they can't now, can they.

Also when someone persist to post information again and again that contradicts others, it starts to smell a little like trolling to me. Now it may not be, he may be truly trying to figure things out. But if this is the case, why not call Andersen to get the real skinny? IMO
Purman, Here's the problem with referring someone to the mfr for numbers and deep info....

I did this when comparing the EQ to the Reese dual cam, and now HAHA. When I contacted each mfr with deep questions, I was met with resounding vagueness, at best. Whether they don't know, or suspect the callers motives, I don't know....I suspect the latter. (for various reasons.....(lawyers "trolling" for info and getting you to say something they can use is a common one).

I never got complete info from any one of them, thus the discussions here from those who have the engineering background, or really like and need to know these things.

I have been reading this thread with interest, but really haven't participated to a great extent, because I don't have one to test myself. (I did my part for the community by buying and using the 3 above mentioned brands. If I bring home more "iron", I'll be wearing it around my ankles and neck at the bottom of a lake somewhere). So now I do rely on those who give anecdotal info as well as those who can decipher the engineering principles, so I can follow along what is subjective and what is objective.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 09-09-2012, 07:54 AM   #515
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Cat City , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, I like reading this thread and learning about this hitch, but bashing a newby because he is trying to figure out the physics of this hitch is just not right. I remember when I was a newby and some people were reluctant to listen to me too. Do you remember when you were a newby? mstephens is trying to see if the numbers work and how this new hitch works. Either you can help him, or you can't. Just because he only has 32 posts, doesn't mean that he is stupid or arguing. You are the ones being argumentative, not him. Resorting to calling someone a TROLL because he wants to think deeper than most, which is something I have done most of my life, is not a bad thing. As my Mom would say, "Try looking in a mirror."
Thanks Robert. You are a gentleman.
Old 09-09-2012, 08:10 AM   #516
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Cat City , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by purman View Post
Robert

After you have carried on and on for several posts now about this, I think it is only fair that I get to rebut these claims you are making about me and my motivation. Believe me, I do not appreciate what you have been posting about me.

Yes, something is amiss. It is your understanding of my posts. There was no attempt to produce what you refer to as "real numbers." I did a very simple thing - I analyzed HOW the hitch works. That's all. To understand how this hitch works, I don't have to purchase one, mount it, and tow for a year. I also don't have to ask the maker for more information - he has supplied all the information I need to understand how the hitch works in his pictures and videos.

I could do the same thing for a Reese hitch, or an Equalizer or any other. What did I do? I drew a schematic of the forces, and I proposed how those forces are different than in conventional WD bar hitches. I then gave an example of "how to do the math" by using "example measurements." Never once, anywhere, at any time, in any post, did I say these were actual numbers from any specific rig. The use of schematics and sample calculations is an absolutely standard, everyday method in engineering works. Nothing unusual at all.

Maybe you have never participated in a technical discussion. Maybe you are unfamiliar with terms like schematic, force diagram, or method of calculation. I do not know. But to write post after post accusing me of some foul motivation or trolling because I choose to analyze the hitch in that way is inappropriate. I said not one impolite word to you and I would appreciate some civility.
Old 09-09-2012, 08:12 AM   #517
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
Purman, Here's the problem with referring someone to the mfr for numbers and deep info....

I did this when comparing the EQ to the Reese dual cam, and now HAHA. When I contacted each mfr with deep questions, I was met with resounding vagueness, at best. Whether they don't know, or suspect the callers motives, I don't know....I suspect the latter. (for various reasons.....(lawyers "trolling" for info and getting you to say something they can use is a common one).

I never got complete info from any one of them, thus the discussions here from those who have the engineering background, or really like and need to know these things.

I have been reading this thread with interest, but really haven't participated to a great extent, because I don't have one to test myself. (I did my part for the community by buying and using the 3 above mentioned brands. If I bring home more "iron", I'll be wearing it around my ankles and neck at the bottom of a lake somewhere). So now I do rely on those who give anecdotal info as well as those who can decipher the engineering principles, so I can follow along what is subjective and what is objective.
This is correct....when I first saw the advertisement for this hitch, I e-mailed Andersen and asked several questions. I remember asking what prevented the parts on the side of the tongue from sliding under the load, what was the load on the chains for 800 pounds of tongue weight, and what prevented the coupler pawl from failing?

To date, I have not received an answer.

Don't know if they thought I was not a legitimate customer, a lawyer looking for evidence, or another manufacturer trying to steal their invention, but in any event, they did not respond.
Old 09-09-2012, 08:21 AM   #518
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Quote:

I understand this, but the Napkin engineers here all have different numbers which make it confusing. (look at all the numbers put forth so far, none the same) Plus I have talked with Andersen for over 20 min. and everyone else who has called has had a good experience. This is why it was suggested, and since it's not a big firm you can usually talk to someone right away..

And whats the harm in trying??? This is the point!!!!!!!!! Why put numbers out there when they could be WRONG.. It's misleading..

None of us using it have those numbers, or seem to need them. This Thread is to discuss the real day use of the hitch, not to guess on the numbers for it. IMO

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
Old 09-09-2012, 08:26 AM   #519
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
The numbers, as explained were merely exemplary to plug into a formula to INDICATE how the forces work. I find them very helpful in imagining how the system works. It just works for me, but apparently not for you. That's fine...as it should be in an open discussion of ideas and opinions.
And THAT's just my opinion.

Old 09-09-2012, 08:36 AM   #520
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Cat City , California
Quote:

Just for the record, I did send Anderson a request for some technical specifications.
Closed Thread