Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 08-01-2012, 01:37 PM   #281
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Doug, you reposted his private response to you, that makes it open for discussion. As was said all his concerns and others have been addressed by actual users in the 20 pages of this thread for anyone that wishes to take the time to read them.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
Old 08-01-2012, 01:47 PM   #282
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
It still amazes me that the only negative comments about the Andersen WD hitch system continue to come from people that have zero actual experience with the hitch.
Or more than likely Sell the competition.

I said early in this tread that the Andersen will be a "Ha Ha" killer and little has been presented to change that.

For those that don't recognize "Ha Ha" that is slang for Hensley

Old 08-01-2012, 01:57 PM   #283
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Doug, you reposted his private response to you, that makes it open for discussion. As was said all his concerns and others have been addressed by actual users in the 20 pages of this thread for anyone that wishes to take the time to read them.
It wasn't my message (I like the Andersen concept), I'm simply stating Andy is not publicly taking a stand on something he hasn't tried, just his impression to a personal message.

He is quite thorough in his responses here and we would look forward to his testing the Andersen and recommendations on it.

doug k
Old 08-01-2012, 02:09 PM   #284
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Doug, I do look forward to all honest reviews of the Andersen system.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
Old 08-01-2012, 02:15 PM   #285
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 28
Fresno/Clovis , California
I tried to read all 20 pages but gave up at 15(fell asleep LOL). I think like awchief and others, lets hear from owners/users and their reviews.
Old 08-01-2012, 02:39 PM   #286
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Roger, If you reread the origional #1 post that is exactly what this thread was supposed to be about, but you know how that goes here. You ask for an input from actual users on any subject and ¾ of the responses are from people giving their uninformed personal opinions. Sometime that is based on other experience and sometimes they may have another agenda. With a few exceptions this is still one of the most civil forums on the internet.

Old 08-01-2012, 02:47 PM   #287
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 28
Quote:
Roger, If you reread the origional #1 post that is exactly what this thread was supposed to be about, but you know how that goes here. You ask for an input from actual users on any subject and ¾ of the responses are from people giving their uninformed personal opinions. Sometime that is based on other experience and sometimes they may have another agenda. With a few exceptions this is still one of the most civil forums on the internet.
Yep, thats what I was hoping to read, actual user experiences, and after 15 pages(yawn) I decided to go to the last page, maybe someone will chime in now with real towing experiences. I agree, this is still the best, civil, and most helpful forum around.
Old 08-01-2012, 02:50 PM   #288
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Roger, I don't have the links with me but there are several other discussions going on around the internet about the Andersen system. Most of them have ended up just like this one. Google will get you to them.

Old 08-01-2012, 02:56 PM   #289
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Maybe someone needs to start another thread, where people can post what they heard in the bar last night from a guy whose wife's cousin's brother-in-law's neighbor saw a guy using one once.

Ken
Old 08-01-2012, 04:24 PM   #290
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Ah, another lively discussion. I hope someone does not tell my Andersen that it is not working so it leaves me in a V shape out here on the road home after 2500 miles... lol.

The chains don't stretch. There is a polyurethane bushing which takes up the movement of bumps and flex. The weight is transferred well and I hope to be able to show that with actual scale numbers, but have been out using it for the past two weeks.

The couplers are not weak in one direction and strong in another. In a "normal" hitch situation, anytime you apply the TV brakes without the trailer brakes (very common in utility trailers, and horse trailers without brake hookups.. stupid, but common) the trailer pushes into the TV. When you are going downhill the trailer pushes into the TV. The coupler is not unidirectional. It takes stress from all directions just fine. I am not concerned with coupler failure. The total hitch weight is on the ball anyway. It is not going to come off. Even if there were failure the loss would be of the WD properties, not falling off the ball. The system would simply revert to a weight carrying situation.

Some have recently asked for "user experience" and it is here in this long thread already. You may have to read through a lot of posts. However, many user experiences are already posted, including mine as well as at least 4 other actual users. All are favorable I might add. I have yet to see a negative post of any consequence, by any actual user.
Old 08-01-2012, 05:07 PM   #291
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
I said early in this tread that the Andersen will be a "Ha Ha" killer and little has been presented to change that.

That's because you don't understand the design differences between that hitch type [VPP types, or PULLRITE] and the second tier, of which ANDERSEN is one. The only "killer" is of the friction bar type . . and of that, hopefully for good and forever.

And the same for numbers not in evidence (scale values) for these hitches. There is no User Thread except the posts which show us the hitch in question can do the job via formula. It's pleasing to see a cheap lightweight hitch of a new & simple design generate positive comments. But commentary is nothing without numbers to back it.

A nice lightweight TT and small or medium TV, thus far the Andersen looks good with the little we've seen. But where are the numbers for a heavy TV & heavy TT? Where is the restoration of FA laden/unhitched value and TW distributed to TT axles as has been explored with every other hitch type both here and at RV.net?

As to the opinion of Andrew T, have any of the rest of you set up 1/100th the number of trailers as have he and that dealership?

Expressions of concern about how a hitch may wear -- and they all show wear eventually -- is not the same as "it won't work" except in part. This hitch may not last as long as other types. Which would be true of any new design first on the market. How it may show wear is what will be in question for a while as user experience accummulates. Not just "can it do the job"? Thus the need for numbers . .the usual baseline in reality.

Old 08-01-2012, 06:18 PM   #292
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 28
I think it would be interesting to hear what Anderson users were using before they purchased the Anderson, and comparisons. Not trying to start arguments, just interesting to hear.
Old 08-01-2012, 06:57 PM   #293
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerdodger View Post
I think it would be interesting to hear what Anderson users were using before they purchased the Anderson, and comparisons. Not trying to start arguments, just interesting to hear.
As I have said before, I have never used any other brand WD hitch. I base all my opinions of real world use of the Andersen WD hitch.

And to the other number cruncher: I don't need any stinking numbers to prove to me that it works as advertised. The proof is in the ride quality as far as I am concerned. If you keep insisting on having numbers why don't you put up your own cash and do it yourself instead of insisting that others do the work for you.

Old 08-01-2012, 07:24 PM   #294
Rivet Idiot

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
On The Lake , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerdodger
I used a Hensley for three years. Loved it, it worked great and if it had not broken would still be towing with it. I now have well over 1500 miles on the Andersen and can tell no difference towing from the Hensley. Miles are from FL to PA on all kinds of roads. Flat and mountains if you can call them that. My trailer stuck to me like it was glued on. My wife drove with no white knuckles.
I even had a flat tire.
I posted scale numbers Red, close enough for me.
I have another 1500 miles or so before I get back home and will post more later if I need to.
In the mean time, I am very happy with the Andersen. But please, if you have any apprehension about buying a hitch, buy what you are comfortable with. PP's and Hensley's are great. As are a host of other hitches.
Joe
Old 08-01-2012, 07:40 PM   #295
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
As I have said before, I have never used any other brand WD hitch. I base all my opinions of real world use of the Andersen WD hitch.

And to the other number cruncher: I don't need any stinking numbers to prove to me that it works as advertised. The proof is in the ride quality as far as I am concerned. If you keep insisting on having numbers why don't you put up your own cash and do it yourself instead of insisting that others do the work for you.
Then it would be a different thread, wouldn't it? Would need a different title altogether. Not all-encompassing by any means, but narrowly based on opinion. Conjecture. Ask the moderators to change the title to one which only offers testimonials. Anecdote. Which is then about the person and their background of experience (or lack thereof) and not about a piece of equipment. Personal, verus impersonal. Which those interested in the performance of the equipment can safely ignore as it would offer no substance.

As this is a forum on a brand of TT, and this subforum on equipment used on that brand (among others), it is about the equipment performance. Not about the persons involved for the title as given.

Old 08-01-2012, 08:01 PM   #296
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
So dramatic. Have you even read the OP? Not going to bother to repeat it for you. Please feel free to ignore anything you wish.

Old 08-06-2012, 08:51 AM   #297
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Finally got a little towing in this weekend with the new F150. Hitched up and carried the trailer 12 miles to the dealership to have a little work done. Short trip but so far very good impression. Hardly even knew the Airstream was back there. It only weights about 2500 lbs and not a challenge at all for the Ecoboost.
Of course I had to start from scratch with the Andersen WD hitch system set up. Dropped the ball down as low as I could with the 4 inch shank and it is just a tad high. I think that will be corrected when I put some weight in the back of truck. Should balance out just about right then.
Front wheel well height went up 1 3/4 inch after I put the weight on the ball. Went thru the whole set up process and was able to get the front back to within 1/4 of unhitched height showing 5 threads. Disconnect went well with taking the weight off the ball and the plate came right off without having to slacken the chain any. That was on a bit of a slope, will see how the reconnect goes when I go back for the trailer in a few days. I will do have to do a little fine tuning after loading the truck and trailer for camping.

Old 08-06-2012, 09:33 AM   #298
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by REDNAX View Post

A nice lightweight TT and small or medium TV, thus far the Andersen looks good with the little we've seen. But where are the numbers for a heavy TV & heavy TT? Where is the restoration of FA laden/unhitched value and TW distributed to TT axles as has been explored with every other hitch type both here and at RV.net?
While I do not expect this to satisfy your quest for numbers I expect it will demonstrate to those less a fixed that the Andersen Hitch does in fact produce the same WD results.

I have and tow with one of the heaviest combinations available to the Airstream community. A Ford diesel Excursion an a 34ft trailer total weight 17,720 lbs. There is only one Airstream, the 34 slide out, that is heaver.

My last scale ticket shows 4,280 lbs on the drive axle, 4.880 on the driving axle, and 8560 on the trailer axles. These readings were taken while I was using a Reese Straight Line Hitch that gave a drop of about 1/4 in the the front fender of the when hitched and a 1/2 drop to the rear fender. Yes I do not haven a scale ticket for the truck empty, but even a number cruncher can agree that weight had to have been placed on the front axle to drop it 1/4 in when hitched.

When I set up the Andersen I adjusted it to give the same drop to the front axle. Now if you can give me a reason not to believe the Andersen has not distributed weight I might consider going to the scales for a set of empty weights.

Keep in mind when reviewing my measurements that the Excursion has a very heavy spring pack and thus drops are going to be much less than trucks with lighter spring packs.

I reiterate my earlier statement "this is going to be a Ha Ha killer"

Old 08-06-2012, 10:31 AM   #299
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
HowieE is indeed a heavyweight here & on the road...when he speaks we all 'lean in' to listen...(remember those old TV ads?).. Ha ha

Anyone want to trade my two year old 10k Equal-izer for a new Anderson...? I'm ready to switch!...
Old 08-07-2012, 03:48 PM   #300
3 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Bothell , Washington
After getting grease on the wife's new pants..... Again, I think I'm fully on board too.