Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Hitches, Couplers & Balls
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Closed Thread

Old 06-08-2012, 03:08 PM   #141
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Lafayette , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by idroba View Post
I will have my Andersen delivered next week. I will have to take it to the scales to set it up properly as my 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee has full 4 corner self leveling air suspension and I cannot judge the weight transfer by the rise or drop of the TV body. The Jeep Air Suspension system masks that.
We have a 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee with the same air suspension. For the first adjustment on first hooking up the trailer, we cancelled the self-leveling (see your car's instruction book) and adjusted the bars on our Hensley as usual and could see the effect on the car's suspension. With that adjustment of the bars, there was (and is) no lightening of the steering to indicate a lack of weight being transferred to the front wheels. We previously had a 2006 Grand Cherokee, so had a good idea of the effect the adjusted spring bars would have on the new car with a similar rear overhang.

I don't mean to discourage you from checking your Andersen hitch on scales. That is always a good idea, but may not be absolutely necessary.

Tim
Old 06-08-2012, 04:33 PM   #142
Rivet Idiot

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
On The Lake , Georgia
It was time to replace

I took my Hensley off this afternoon and look what I found. I'm not sure when this happened but it must have been recently. I had replaced the inner sleeve for the bars last year and did not see the split if it was there. The sleeve had cracked in the middle where the bolt runs thru it.
I suppose the whole bottom part of the hitch head would need replacing.
Must have been a lot of stress on it. No matter, the Hensley does not owe me anything. It was 14 years old when I got it and probably had 300,000 miles on it. I have around 18,000 and three years. Even busted, it did its job.
I'm looking for the Andersen to do its job as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1823.JPG
Views:	140
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	160396   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1824.JPG
Views:	152
Size:	126.8 KB
ID:	160397  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1825.JPG
Views:	177
Size:	117.5 KB
ID:	160398  
Old 06-08-2012, 05:54 PM   #143
Commercial Member

2016 27' International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Wow.. good find. Everything wears out. Glad you were nudged to inspect and/or replace.

Vinnie

https://www.facebook.com/VinniesNort...ir?ref=tn_tnmn
Old 06-09-2012, 07:01 AM   #144
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Dave said they try to stay off the forums as it can become a full time job. But if you have a question the number is on their web page.

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
Old 06-09-2012, 05:51 PM   #145
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
Red' I'm not into numbers and scales. I use an Equal-I-Zer whose maker only gives fender measurements as a set-up procedure. No matter how I loaded, where I am, I can walk out with my tape and see if it still is decent. Fifth wheel pullers don't use any weight distribution, but we don't pull off the road when we see them coming. I carry loads in my truck and car without weight distribution, no choice.

I respect those who dial in perfect numbers each load but you make it sound like everyone who doesn't (most) is negligent. Less-than-perfect is how things go most of the time.

doug k
Each load? No, the point is to have the combination dialled in quite well one time. That, alone, eliminates the majority of the range of any future adjustments for that combination rig. (In a manner similar to tire pressures). The difference between a lightly loaded weekend trip and an extended 6-month tour with bursting closets covers the anticipated range. I'd add full grey/black tanks one time as an experiment.

Once done with a range of readings one can easily change the links under tension, the screw threads open, or the jack height. Or, more or less head tilt. Record it. Have it at hand.

Measurements of height are easily prone to error. But are otherwise fine once the relationships are known . . and one only knows them from scale numbers in this instance. Tire pressure, weakened springs, etc, can change height measurements even when those other components are within spec.

Quit acting as if using a certified public scale is an expensive or difficult or time-consuming burden. It is far from any of those, much less in any combination. Perfection isn't the point. But that would be an impossibility for one who knows not where he starts.

I suppose we should also extend this lazy attitude to lug nut torque? Tire construction? Propane pressure? Well, seems fine to me.

I use an Equal-I-Zer whose maker only gives fender measurements as a set-up procedure.

Hitch rigging is a formula. Easy to follow and accomplish. That companys directions changed over the years. Care to venture why? Numbers confirm what height measurements only promise.

What any one individual does is beside the point. Yet to tout a WDH as the greatest thing slnce sliced bread isn't really helpful: let the thing speak for itself. First. As idroba has indicated that he will show this with his own rig, then the matter of how well an ANDERSEN does for a single rig is (will be) answered. Which is all that was asked . . a comprehensive single work-up.

On a WDH of any sort the most basic demonstration is that it do the job promised. This hitch is no exception. Numbers bypass personal shortcomings or predilections. Fully impersonal as would be the whole point.

Changes -- problems -- are then easily measured (would be the ostensible reason to have a "users thread") and diagnosis of problems of performance on-road can take the WDH into account in the only way possible. Which is numbers.

Old 06-09-2012, 10:16 PM   #146
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Not lazy, just don't operate your way and do fine.

doug k
Old 06-09-2012, 11:55 PM   #147
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:

doug k
Hi, I use the same hitch and have never been on a scale.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
Old 06-10-2012, 06:33 AM   #148
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
I did weigh mine, but it was only because I needed a certified weight to get the trailer titled and licensed as I bought it out of state.

Not that it's all that important, but the weights were:

Front axle= 4100 lbs

Rear axle= 4150 lbs

Trailer axles= 7280 lbs

This was with a ProPride Hitch, 3/4 ton crew cab 4X4, and '10 31' Classic.

However, the important thing in my mind is the front fender measurment is the same with the trailer hooked up as without. :-)
Old 06-10-2012, 06:56 AM   #149
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:

doug k
Ditto, well said.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
Old 06-10-2012, 07:44 AM   #150
ProPride Industries, Inc.
Commercial Member

Holly , MI
Quote:
Originally Posted by purman View Post
Dave said they try to stay off the forums as it can become a full time job. But if you have a question the number is on their web page.
I know another manufacturer that says the same thing. This is false. I'm on every forum that will allow manufacturers to participate. EVERY forum. I spend about 15 minutes a day reviewing them. If you use today's technology properly it can be done.

I'm not saying this is the case with Anderson but some people just do not want a permanent record of what they say because they may be saying something else over the phone and not remember that they have posted the contrary on a forum.
Tu ne cede malis
Old 06-10-2012, 11:53 AM   #151
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
I opened this tread as an "Andersen Users Thread" not an Andersen sales forum. While some of mine and other comments may be construed as promotional or negative I would hope they are results of actual experiences and a direct sales effort.

If you have an Andersen are considering an Andersen or have something relevant to the thread please present it.

We have gotten off topic hear discussion different levels of of arriving at the same result when it come to hitching up. That is good information for those interested in that discussion but should be limited to threads directed at that subject or a PM to another member.

Old 06-10-2012, 12:26 PM   #152
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
HowieE,

Thanks for starting a discussion about this brand of hitch. It certainly has been interesting so far and I appreciate "owners comments" and from our high mileage multi decade Airstream owners comments both positive and negative. I certainly am not a high mileage AS'er only day outings so far to various campgrounds. I'm watching and hopefully learning a thing or two. One comment, using an actual friction material interface rather than steel vs. steel caught my eye. Can't say its best but steel vs. steel is a wear point, I see some wear on my Equal-I-Zer (included w/used trailer) steel to steel areas.
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
Old 06-10-2012, 12:48 PM   #153
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
The only place that I know of that uses steel on steel is the rail road. Since the shoes are easy to see I assume the just replace the shoes as needed. The temperatures reached while stopping a train would likely melt most brake shoe material.

Steel on steel also wear unevenly producing deep grooves because of differences in hardness. That would make removal a task in a tapered shaft.

Old 06-10-2012, 02:08 PM   #154
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
We have gotten off topic hear discussion different levels of of arriving at the same result when it come to hitching up. That is good information for those interested in that discussion but should be limited to threads directed at that subject or a PM to another member.

It works . . or it doesn't. Wear over a period of time/miles is a valid concern and with more than one component affected. And needs to be measured. Same for any mechanical device. Opinions lacking a basis in reality are hot air.

Old 06-10-2012, 02:29 PM   #155
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE View Post
I opened this tread as an "Andersen Users Thread" not an Andersen sales forum. While some of mine and other comments may be construed as promotional or negative I would hope they are results of actual experiences and a direct sales effort.

If you have an Andersen are considering an Andersen or have something relevant to the thread please present it.

Yes, you are right, the thread has "gotten off topic", as many threads do. In defense of some who posted here, myself included' so little actual users data is available that it is sort of expected.

Statements like "it works good" are just not much information about a new product, especially with such a radical new design and approach, IMHO. Could have gotten much more from the manufacturer's advertisements. I do welcome and await with great anticipation more actual users information, and it would be really good if it contained some scale numbers to boot. Since I have no such user's information, I'm now in thread monitor's mode only.
Old 06-11-2012, 10:40 AM   #156

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
<<Mod Mode>>

Threads meander off topic and back on topic through the normal course of posting, and is part of the forum experience. This thread is no exception; however, posts referencing other hitch brands and experiences with those items should relate to the material on which this thread is based.

We have threads dedicated to HaHa and PP and material related soley to the performance of those brands should be posted therein. If there's a correlation with the Andersen product, then by all means it should post here.

Thanks,

The Site Team

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Old 06-11-2012, 10:52 AM   #157
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
I do welcome and await with great anticipation more actual users information, and it would be really good if it contained some scale numbers to boot. Since I have no such user's information, I'm now in thread monitor's mode only.
Unlike hitches that require chain link count or head tilt notch to give a step function adjustment I can dial in an infinite range with the adjustment nuts There fore I can apply any weight to the front axle depending on the springs of the TV.

Old 06-11-2012, 11:08 AM   #158
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
I am looking forward very much to receiving my Andersen hitch and installing it, and dialing it in this week. In the mean time, I was researching other things and ran across this very wise quote in the extensive thread on Nyloboard. I hope Anne does not mind that I am reposting it.

"I think the value of the forums is to have some who will take an educated risk with a new product and give the chance for everyone to learn from the experience.

Anne"
Old 06-11-2012, 11:16 AM   #159
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Question Sway control

I have a question:

As I see it, the only sway control is the dampening action of the friction between ball shaft, "brake material", and ball shaft socket.

Is that correct?

Ken
Old 06-11-2012, 11:24 AM   #160
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by w7ts View Post
i have a question:

As i see it, the only sway control is the dampening action of the friction between ball shaft, "brake material", and ball shaft socket.

Is that correct?

Ken

yes

Closed Thread