Closed Thread

Old 06-08-2012, 09:27 AM   #113
AIR #8691

2006 25' Safari SS SE
Northern , Virginia
Interesting thread with detailed explanations. However, I have been to two of Andy Thompson's seminars and read all his writings printed in Airstream Live magazine. He certainly appears to be quite knowledgeable about on the static and dynamic forces of various types of towing equipment. He has built, tested and sold many safe and successful configurations.

Iím not in the market for a new hitching system, but if I were, I would like to read what Andy has to say after he has had an opportunity to test and evaluate the Anderson WD Hitch on different size Airstreams and in various towing conditions.

Old 06-08-2012, 10:21 AM   #114
Chief Chili Cook

2010 30' Flying Cloud
Bakersfield , California
It should be clear which way the forces are directed by which way the chain is running. With the Andersen, the chain is pulling the bottom of the hitch head back, which cause the ball to be pulled back into the coupler, creating a hitch head rotation (lifting the ball and rear of tow vehicle).

Those that keep commenting that there is already a lot of force on the rear of the coupler when you are stopping (with little or no trailer braking) or going down hill, are correct, the Andersen would be ADDITIONAL force being applied to the coupler.

I'm most concerned with what happens when you approach a steep incline (say a gas station) and the tow vehicle noses up, applying a huge amount of force on the chains. The heavy duty coupler pawl will probably be fine, but what about the much thinner latch mechanism that locks it into position? Raising the front of the vehicle 12 inches is a huge amount of force being applied to the coupler vs ball. This is where you see broke chains and WD bars (or bent A frame on the trailer), which happens and is documented in the forums. Will it be the coupler now?

The other important thing I agree with the others on, friction has never been as effective as geometry in preventing sway. Meaning if any of you are selling your ProPride send me a PM! Seriously though, I'm very interested and hopeful this is a effective hitch.

Old 06-08-2012, 10:33 AM   #115
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by newroswell View Post
I'm most concerned with what happens when you approach a steep incline (say a gas station) and the tow vehicle noses up, applying a huge amount of force on the chains. The heavy duty coupler pawl will probably be fine, but what about the much thinner latch mechanism that locks it into position? Raising the front of the vehicle 12 inches is a huge amount of force being applied to the coupler vs ball. This is where you see broke chains and WD bars (or bent A frame on the trailer), which happens and is documented in the forums. Will it be the coupler now?

I think thats why they have those big rubber washer thing a mjigs (what are they called) behind the chain. It takes out the stress put on the chains. Or some of it.

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
Old 06-08-2012, 10:35 AM   #116
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Quote:
It should be clear which way the forces are directed by which way the chain is running. With the Andersen, the chain is pulling the bottom of the hitch head back, which cause the ball to be pulled back into the coupler, creating a hitch head rotation (lifting the ball and rear of tow vehicle).
A regular WD also does this. Isn't thats how a WD works.

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
Old 06-08-2012, 10:48 AM   #117
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by purman View Post
I think thats why they have those big rubber washer thing a mjigs (what are they called) behind the chain. It takes out the stress put on the chains. Or some of it.
Purman,

Yes, those "thing a mjigs" are the actual springs. They are urethane, just like the urethane bushings used in after market suspension systems for bushings. They will compress, and so the serve the function that the spring action does in bars on regular bar type WD hitches.

There is a huge difference, however, because they release their stored spring energy very slowly, compared to a steel spring, and that is how Andersen claims no bounce, or porposing that we get when we hit bumps on the highway.

There is another difference with the Andersen "springs", and that is they are very stiff (compared to steel leaf type springs), and may present the same type problems as an Equal-I-zer hitch with 1200 lb bars and a 500 lb tongue weight.
Old 06-08-2012, 10:54 AM   #118
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Purman,

The resulting force seen by the tow vehicle is the same, however the forces in play at the hitch are very different. This is what I keep trying to explain to you.

With the Andersen, the chains pull forward on the "A" frame, causing the coupler to be pushed forward against the ball.

With a bar type WD hitch, the ends of the bars are pulled up against the "A" frame, causing the coupler to be pushed down against the ball.

It is so clear, I really don't see why folks don't understand it.
Old 06-08-2012, 11:09 AM   #119
Chief Chili Cook

2010 30' Flying Cloud
Bakersfield , California
Quote:
With a regular WD hitch, the chains are pulling UP on bars, which cause the hitch head rotation. No additional force is created at the back of the coupler vs the ball.
Old 06-08-2012, 11:17 AM   #120
Rivet Master

2006 22' International CCD
2007 Base Camp
Elk Valley , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
Purman,

The resulting force seen by the tow vehicle is the same, however the forces in play at the hitch are very different. This is what I keep trying to explain to you.

With the Andersen, the chains pull forward on the "A" frame, causing the coupler to be pushed forward against the ball.

With a bar type WD hitch, the ends of the bars are pulled up against the "A" frame, causing the coupler to be pushed down against the ball.

It is so clear, I really don't see why folks don't understand it.
Because that isn't what is happening... if there is any weigh distribution happening, the front axel of the tow vehicle is being pushed/twisted down, and the resulting force at the trailer is the rear is being pushed/twisted down. The forces have to be the same.

In either case, you are adding load to the ball and coupler, which is an uncompressible metal blob that is going to end up with the same net amount of force applied to it. The idea of 'down' being a better force than 'forward' ignores the fact this joint is under constant changes of force and extreme loads from being the one point where 5-6000lbs of TV couples 5-6000lbs of trailer. A few hundred pounds of pressure from a chain is a fraction of the force... as is a few hundred pounds of spring-bar pressure.

With the Andersen, at least you are eliminating the grinding of the ball when turning... That might make the whole thing actually last longer.... who knows...
Old 06-08-2012, 11:50 AM   #121
ProPride, Inc.
Commercial Member

Grand Blanc , Michigan
Send a message via Skype™ to Sean Woodruff
Quote:
You missed a critical point. There is NO MOTION at the coupling thus NO WARE.

Since the ball and the coupling are locked together as a single unit there will be no ware at that point.

I asked this on another forum but everyone became defensive so I bowed out.

How does the ball lock into the coupler and not pivot?

I understand the sway damping material is on the ball shaft. However, if the ball can still rotate in the coupler it really will not matter if the rotational force is greater than the force the material can apply.

Also, if the ball is locked into the coupler so it does not rotate, how do you turn a corner? Does turning the corner work against the sway damping material on the shaft of the hitch ball?

Since it was said earlier this was a HAHA killer my ears perked up... you know I'm all about HAHA killing. (I kid, I kid... wait, maybe I don't)
Tu ne cede malis
Old 06-08-2012, 12:00 PM   #122
Chief Chili Cook

2010 30' Flying Cloud
Bakersfield , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Friday View Post
if there is any weigh distribution happening, the front axel of the tow vehicle is being pushed/twisted down, and the resulting force at the trailer is the rear is being pushed/twisted down. The forces have to be the same.
Actually the forces are not the same. First we have to accept that in order to restore weight to the front of the vehicle, the hitch head must have a rotational force applied to it. A rotation that lifts the hitch, forcing weight towards the front of the tow vehicle and back to the trailer axles. The difference is how you do that and where the force is applied.

With a regular WD hitch, the force is applied by lifting bars UP. The stress point is the top of the ball and the frame of the trailer (where the chains run vertical). Whats important here is, it's the top of the ball. The fulcrum leverage distance is usually around 30 inches (the length of the bars).

With the Andersen, the force is applied by pulling the hitch head BACK and the stress being applied to the back of the ball vs the coupler (where the pawl is held down with a thin latch). I'm guess the actual leverage length (from the top of ball to bottom of hitch) to be less than 10 inches (height of hitch head).

I have no dog in this fight, only trying to clarify were the stress points are and how they are very different than any hitch we've seen yet. For better or worse, only time will tell.

Just for fun, google up a fulcrum lever distance calculator and see just how much less energy is required to move an object when it's 3 times longer.

P.S. Sean you're just gonna have to get one and find out.
Old 06-08-2012, 12:03 PM   #123
ProPride, Inc.
Commercial Member

Grand Blanc , Michigan
Send a message via Skype™ to Sean Woodruff
Quote:

P.S. Sean you're just gonna have to get one and find out.

Good point. I should order one.

Or, I could trade one for all the used Arrows I have laying around the shop.
Tu ne cede malis
Old 06-08-2012, 12:10 PM   #124
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
With a standard WD system the ball has little to do with the WD force.
The end of the spring bar in the hitch head is the fulcrum the bottom of the bar pulls back on the hitch head and the top of the bar pushes forward on the hitch head.
Old 06-08-2012, 12:14 PM   #125
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Maybe there's a second ball . . .
Old 06-08-2012, 12:19 PM   #126
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Gig Harbor , Washington
Sean, don't do that yet.
I have to say I don't see a true pivot point here. More like a flex point.
This set-up for some reason reminds me of post tensioning in a concrete building. (don't make me explain that). I see more of a flex and an arch than a pivot point.

Remember arched structures also distribute forces to the ends or buttresses of the vertical piles.

Way off base here, but thats what you get. Think about the relationship of the receiver to the bars.

Dan

Closed Thread