Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Hitches, Couplers & Balls
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Closed Thread

Old 03-25-2013, 05:03 PM   #1601
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Step back and take a deep breath. There are several factors that influence the failure rate of the Atwood coupler when used with the Andersen hitch.
Trailer size, road conditions, TV springs strength, and amount of travel are the most significant ones.

Your small trailer and the smooth roads of Fl. don't put you at the risk that those of us hauling very heavy trailer over the roads of the north east are facing. I would venture to say you will be quite a wile before you see a problem.

That problem will be evident when you see the front of the latch raise about 1/2 off the coupling. At that point you have sheared off the shark fin and the coupling is no longer securing the trailer to the hitch.

Old 03-25-2013, 05:08 PM   #1602
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
I've been cautious of the Andersen since first reading the coupler issue. As this is Andersen's position, I need to change something.

I like how the Andersen performs, especially smoothing roadways, sway resistance, and quiet smooth turns back or forward.

For me, I'm leaning toward a Propride hitch because it has good reviews, great service, and plenty of experience, and is the only hitch that equals and surpasses the Andersen's sway resistance.

I am also drawn toward the Quickbite coupler because it is easier to use than the Atwood while I "think" it is compatible with the Andersen.

Checking Andersen website I see no mention of this coupler issue. The right thing for them to do is offer a buyback, or replacement costs of the coupler, because we were not advised at purchase of the incompatibility.

Good company's are not afraid to innovate, and some things are not foreseen in the world of invention. This hitch design is a revolutionary, greatly improves the towing experience, and well worth pursuing.

Good company's also stand behind what they sell, compensating customers for their loss. We'll see what the company is made out of.

doug k
Old 03-25-2013, 05:15 PM   #1603
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Andersen type II / Hybrid.

Hi, this new inovative hitch would have the tapered ball shaft with friction lining, but all parts would be made out of steel/cast iron. The ball would still move with the coupler. And a beefier/ heavier shank assembly would have spring bars instead of chains. In this design there would be no movement of the spring bars except for the flexing. No unusual pressures would be applied to any part of the coupler. Problem solved!
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
Old 03-25-2013, 05:40 PM   #1604
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, this new inovative hitch would have the tapered ball shaft with friction lining, but all parts would be made out of steel/cast iron. The ball would still move with the coupler. And a beefier/ heavier shank assembly would have spring bars instead of chains. In this design there would be no movement of the spring bars except for the flexing. No unusual pressures would be applied to any part of the coupler. Problem solved!
Hi Bob, replacing the vertical-force spring bars with horizontal-force chains and urethane bushings is one of two main innovations of the hitch. This is where the smooth ride comes from, rather than the bouncing spring bars.

Yes the friction system is also superior, but together these two features are what make this hitch design better than all other friction-type hitches, and truly revolutionary.

I think they will work out the bugs, or someone will. The are very, very close. When they do, the choices will be this or Propride/Hensley (which is the superior no-sway hitch for absolute safety).

doug k
Old 03-25-2013, 09:00 PM   #1605
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
All,

Andy Thompson expressed a concern that the innovate anti-sway system couldn't be "turned off" in icy road conditions. How much of a concern to you users of the Andersen is that, if at all?

"You can't tow that with that!"

https://sites.google.com/view/towedhaul/home
Old 03-25-2013, 09:08 PM   #1606
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
I am curious as to why some people kling to the idea that the Hensley is Superior to the Andersen as far as safety. Just because they claim it does that make it so?

Have you heard from any Andersen user that has had an uncontrolled event?

Yes I have had and know many others that have had uncontrolled events with spring bar WD systems. But does that justify lumping Andersen with them just because it is no a copy of the Hensley.

I am also curious how Andy would "Turns Off" the sway control on other systems while on icy roads? Most commercial trailers now have anti sway anti sail control build into the trailer to prevent sway and thus prevent Jack Knifing.

Old 03-25-2013, 09:21 PM   #1607
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE View Post

I am also curious how Andy would "Turns Off" the sway control on other systems while on icy roads? Most commercial trailers now have anti sway anti sail control build into the trailer to prevent sway and thus prevent Jack Knifing.
On the traditional friction arms you can loosen off the friction setting manually if you're driving in slick conditions. Using traditional friction anti-sway it is possible that any loss of contact between tire and road (caused by ice perhaps) could create a situation in a turn where you can't overcome the forces being applied by that anti-sway system, then you end up in a skid. Loosen off the friction and you lessen that likelihood. On the Andersen, the friction based anti-sway is always "on" and can't be adjusted for the conditions. I was interested to hear from Andersen users if they felt that this was concern or not.

Old 03-25-2013, 09:48 PM   #1608
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrUKToad View Post
All,

Andy Thompson expressed a concern that the innovate anti-sway system couldn't be "turned off" in icy road conditions. How much of a concern to you users of the Andersen is that, if at all?
Considering the source, none at all.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
Old 03-25-2013, 10:59 PM   #1609
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
All,

This is reaching really deep to pull out a criticism of the Andersen, Equal-I-Zer, Reese, Hensley, Propride, or any that use built-in sway control. Except that he singled out Andersen. His posts are for the most part, advertising.

So, as an Andersen user, not being able to "turn off" the sway control is not a concern to me. If the Andersen does not work for me, I will get a Propride, another hitch Andy Thomson ignores because of profit margins.

doug k
Old 03-26-2013, 02:55 AM   #1610
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Harlingen , Texas
How many of us really expect to have a happy experience towing a trailer on icy roads? Certainly not me, no matter the brand of hitch. Call me contrary, but I enjoy the benefits of the Andersen hitch. I also realize there has not been fifty years development with them as with some other brands. So far, I am liking what the hitch does for me.
Old 03-26-2013, 04:45 AM   #1611
4 Rivet Member

1987 25' Sovereign
Oregon , Ohio
I believe that the best way to handle the sway problem with snow and ice is to not start the tow vehicle's engine. The second best way is to just plain slow down. I would rather be Mark O. that is late , than the late Mark O..
Old 03-26-2013, 05:20 AM   #1612
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
I'm still a little surprised about how defensive you all get about the Andersen. I simply asked if not being able to turn the anti-sway off was a concern and it morphs into criticism of Andy Thompson.

Forgetting individuals, if you're caught out in a situation where it's very wet or staring to get icy, is the fact that you can't alter the friction in the Andersen's anti-sway system a concern to you? Advice offered by the manufacturers of the traditional friction arm will recommend loosening the device in potentially slippery situations, what is the view of Andersen users given that there is no adjustment available. There is no criticism of the Andersen intended in asking this question, I'm just interested to know what current users think.

Old 03-26-2013, 06:33 AM   #1613
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
It seems common place on this forum for commercial members to push the product they sell by using innuendo, and derogatory slurs toward other competing products.

The one in Southern California would lead you to believe the only weight distribution/anti sway hitch that does anything is the Reese Dual Cam.

I've learned to totally ignore all of these statements just like I ignore uninvited sales and political calls. (Caller ID is a wonderful thing.)
Old 03-26-2013, 06:54 AM   #1614
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
For me it was a toss up between Propride and Andersen. I get that the Pro pride is probably somewhat technically superior at sway prevention, but chose the Andersen due to its much lighter weight and cost. For the same cost as a Propride I'm also getting a killer solar system. Even if I have to change the coupler someday, its not that big a deal. I choose not to drive on ice so that's not an issue for me.
Old 03-26-2013, 07:21 AM   #1615
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
I've been trying to keep to the matter at hand, that is how do you users feel about the Andersen friction anti-sway when road conditions turn difficult. I really don't see how having a dig at commercial members and their interests has anything to with the subject. Indeed, I'd suggest that some of the comments made go well beyond the acceptable use policy of this forum i.e. be nice! I'm sure that pretty much everyone here is quite capable of picking out what is sales talk and what isn't, but to dismiss the opinions of commercial members as being just self-interest is entirely wrong.

So, you're hauling with your Andersen and the weather turns nasty. Are you concerned that the friction anti-sway is "on" all the time? Is it an issue or a non-issue?

Old 03-26-2013, 07:29 AM   #1616
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
I've been trying to keep to the matter at hand, that is how do you users feel about the Andersen friction anti-sway when road conditions turn difficult. I really don't see how having a dig at commercial members and their interests has anything to with the subject. Indeed, I'd suggest that some of the comments made go well beyond the acceptable use policy of this forum i.e. be nice! I'm sure that pretty much everyone here is quite capable of picking out what is sales talk and what isn't, but to dismiss the opinions of commercial members as being just self-interest is entirely wrong.

So, you're hauling with your Andersen and the weather turns nasty. Are you concerned that the friction anti-sway is "on" all the time? Is it an issue or a non-issue?
MrUKToad, Personally, I don't think there is enough experience with the Andersen on this forum at this time to answer the question about it's use on slippery roads.

And all the comments about statements from commercial users, are based on the fact that the exact same issues with sway control on such road surfaces would also apply to the Equalizer, the Reese, the ProPride, the Hensley, and any other anti-sway weight distribution hitch. The ONLY type would have the option of adjusting the anti-sway would be those that use the old friction bar, which most think is somewhat marginal in it's performance anyway, and certainly of almost ancient design.

And that fact of almost ancient design is what is most interesting....that Andy Thompson would resort to that hitch to slight the Andersen.
Old 03-26-2013, 07:34 AM   #1617
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
I was traveling through northern VA into WVa and Md last week when the weather turned sloppy with freezing rain and snow. Slush was accumulating mostly on the shoulders and cars were skidding off the roadway. Our plans had us reaching Hagerstown, Md and staying at a hotel. While our northbound side traffic continued to move the conditions called for a serious slowdown. At no time with my Anderson hitch did I feel any other control was needed. The simple slowdown kept me in full and relaxed control. We made our destination for the night and home the next day in clear, cold weather with dry roads.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

Old 03-26-2013, 08:04 AM   #1618
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Quote:
On the traditional friction arms you can loosen off the friction setting manually if you're driving in slick conditions. Using traditional friction anti-sway it is possible that any loss of contact between tire and road (caused by ice perhaps) could create a situation in a turn where you can't overcome the forces being applied by that anti-sway system, then you end up in a skid.
This presents a questions to me.

In over 40 years of towing I have never heard of the idea of loosen the tension on the WD bars while towing on slippery roads. I have to admit that may be a common practice up north where the need might present itself more often than in the lower half of the 48. What surprises me is the source. For one who went out of his way to suggest that the Andersen could not transfer enough weight to the front axle to maintain steering control he is now the source for saying you don't want that weight applied to the front axle, and thus a lose of steering control. Which is it?

While I most likely do not have the slippery road driving history of most Canadians have I have towed across Canada, with a Reese system, from Winnipeg and through Alberta in 3 days of continuing snow and high winds. I did not know about reducing the tension on the bars nor would I have considered doing it if I had. Steering control was my consideration and reduced speed was my method.

That would apply with what ever hitch i was using.

Old 03-26-2013, 08:08 AM   #1619
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE View Post

This presents a questions to me.

In over 40 years of towing I have never heard of the idea of loosen the tension on the WD bars while towing on slippery roads. I have to admit that may be a common practice up north where the need might present itself more often than in the lower half of the 48. What surprises me is the source. For one who went out of his way to suggest that the Andersen could not transfer enough weight to the front axle to maintain steering control he is now the source for saying you don't want that weight applied to the front axle, and thus a lose of steering control. Which is it?

While I most likely do not have the slippery road driving history of most Canadians have I have towed across Canada, with a Reese system, from Winnipeg and through Alberta in 3 days of continuing snow and high winds. I did not know about reducing the tension on the bars nor would I have considered doing it if I had. Steering control was my consideration and reduced speed was my method.
Most, if not all, friction type sway controls state this in their manuals. I had (with my old SOB as well as my pop-up) never experienced the need to loosen it on wet roads....but snow???? I don't tow in snow anyway, but I could see the need.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 03-26-2013, 08:20 AM   #1620
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
I recently encountered icy, wet , slushy road with a stiff tail wind for some 90 miles. There were no issues with the Andersen hitch.
However I can't give Andersen all of the credit. Since I spent more than 30 years driving on icy mountain roads in Colorado, with and without a trailer or two in tow. None of which had a WD hitch.
In my case, if I would chose to reduce the amount of friction on the Andersen hitch. Since the FW tank is in the front of our coach. I could empty the tank or at least pump the water to the holding tanks in the back of the trailer.
With the Andersen hitch, because of the tapered socket for the hitch ball, the amount of friction is based on the tongue weight. Reduce the tongue weight, reduce the friction.
Closed Thread