Closed Thread

Old 12-27-2012, 07:53 PM   #1093
RLS
Rivet Master

2004 25' Classic
Prescott , Arizona
Weight Distribution?

78 pages is a LOT to go thru Hope I did not miss it. My question is about how much hitch weight is put on the TV. I have an suv and hitch weight is very important. From what I understand about this set-up, it looks to me that ALL the hitch weight is put on the TV, compared to the roughly 66% TV and 33% back on the trailer. I like this set-up, but not if all the hitch weight is put on the suv. Any ideas?

AIR #30685
Old 12-27-2012, 08:17 PM   #1094
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
I know the trailer I'm useing the Andersen on has a light tongue weight, but it transferred the weight just like a conventional WD hitch would.

I see no reason it would do any different with your trailer.

Old 12-27-2012, 08:51 PM   #1095
RLS
Rivet Master

2004 25' Classic
Prescott , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
I know the trailer I'm useing the Andersen on has a light tongue weight, but it transferred the weight just like a conventional WD hitch would.

I see no reason it would do any different with your trailer.
My reasoning is how the torque is applied between the two. On a reg. wd set-up, the torque is forcing the frame down towards the bars which puts weight back onto the trailer. The Andersen has the torque applied in a horizontal plane, which in my way of thinking has no effect on adding weight back onto the trailer?? Have you been to the scales to see if any weight was applied back to the trailer?
AIR #30685
Old 12-27-2012, 10:20 PM   #1096
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
The Andersen complies to Newton"s law of equal and opposite reaction.

In order to apply a force to the TV it has to distribute an equal weight, force times distance, to the trailer. There is no set ratio for this hitch or any other hitch because each combination of TV and trailer have different distances from the hitch to the axles effected.

It just appear like less force is being transferred to the trailer because of the generally longer distance from the hitch to the trailer axles. However if you do the force calculation they will be equal.

Old 12-27-2012, 11:03 PM   #1097
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
There are some diagrams here that may help

Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Towing: New Andersen WD hitch

doug k
Old 12-27-2012, 11:30 PM   #1098
RLS
Rivet Master

2004 25' Classic
Prescott , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE View Post

In order to apply a force to the TV it has to distribute an equal weight, force times distance, to the trailer. There is no set ratio for this hitch or any other hitch because each combination of TV and trailer have different distances from the hitch to the axles effected.

It just appear like less force is being transferred to the trailer because of the generally longer distance from the hitch to the trailer axles. However if you do the force calculation they will be equal.
Call me dense, but I am having a very hard time understanding how a chain being tightened on a horizontal plane squeezing a bushing (opposite force) transfers weight down on the axles. I know all about different lengths having effect on how much is transferred, but can not see how it is transferred from a horizontal pull to a vertical down force.
The reg. wd ones I can understand. They use a chain connected to the frame that pulls the wd bar up, causing a down foce on the trailer frame. I really like the Andersen set up, just cannot put my head around how it transfers weight back to the trailer. What am I missing Has anyone actually weighed their trailer to see an increase in trailer axle weight after hitching up? I am close to my limits on how much the suv can take and 300lbs. more would not be good.
AIR #30685
Old 12-27-2012, 11:38 PM   #1099
RLS
Rivet Master

2004 25' Classic
Prescott , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
There are some diagrams here that may help

Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Towing: New Andersen WD hitch

doug k
Thanks for showing that. Now I am more convinced there is no weight transfer to the trailer. Those diagrams show what I am saying. The force is in a horizontal plane, having no down (vertical) force applied to the frame. The other diagram shows the arrow of force in a vertical plane which transfers the force down (more weight to trailer axles).
Dang, I was hoping to be wrong on this one. I really like the Andersen.
AIR #30685
Old 12-27-2012, 11:44 PM   #1100
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Bob, the diagrams show that the applied force is exactly the same, conventional or Andersen. Look again.

doug k
Old 12-27-2012, 11:58 PM   #1101
RLS
Rivet Master

2004 25' Classic
Prescott , Arizona
Sorry, I do not see it. I do see that both but the same force on the TV (arrow pointing down on the left side). I see that the conventional wd shows an arrow pointing vertical on the right side (causing a down force) and an arrow on the right side for the Andersen pointing horizontal (no down force). What am I missing??
AIR #30685
Old 12-28-2012, 12:30 AM   #1102
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Bob, the red and green arrows represent the weight distribution forces.

doug k
Old 12-28-2012, 03:03 AM   #1103
4 Rivet Member

1988 32' Excella
Bonita , California
Seriously???
Old 12-28-2012, 06:36 AM   #1104
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLS

What am I missing Has anyone actually weighed their trailer to see an increase in trailer axle weight after hitching up? I am close to my limits on how much the suv can take and 300lbs. more would not be good.
Somewhere on this massive thread, I think about a month ago, scale measures with the Andersen were posted. I think the conclusion was weight is definitely transferred.
Old 12-28-2012, 07:36 AM   #1105
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE View Post
A design coup? I'll bet they're working on complying with gravity too.

Old 12-28-2012, 09:27 AM   #1106
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
RLS

Have you actually weighed your current rig to see if 300 lbs is transferred back to the trailer axle? 300 lbs is a lot of transfer.

I think of the chain on the Anderson hitch as limiting the flex of the car-trailer joint where the ball is. Sorta making it a stiffer bridge. So the front wheels of the TV and the axles of the trailer take some of the weight that would have been transferred to the ball if that joint had been allowed to flex unrestricted. There is not need to add an upforce if the system redistributes the downforce to the front and rear supports.