Closed Thread

Old 12-02-2012, 12:25 PM   #1079
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Just got back from a 500 towing mile weekend with the little Casita and Andersen hitch, and it's doing great.

Old 12-02-2012, 07:23 PM   #1080
4 Rivet Member

1987 25' Sovereign
Oregon , Ohio
I have not yet installed my new andersen WD hitch yet. I have weighted both heads that that go to the TV, the old Reese straight line is 48 lbs., and the new Andersen is only 28 lbs.. This is quit a differance as I get older and very important should my wife have to hitch the trailer should something happen to me.

Old 12-03-2012, 09:37 AM   #1081
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
san mateo , California
Brackets

On Tue, Nov 27 at 10:41 PM , Andrew Porter<andrew@anderseninc.com> wrote: As far as our brackets go, we did make a slight modification to the design of the outside brackets, but we do not have a set of brackets that are specifically made for Airstream or any other brand. Just for reference, the 8" frame brackets did not change, the 5"–6" outside brackets are now angled slightly, and the 3"–4" and 4-3/8" brackets have a more pronounced angle. While we did make this minor upgrade a few weeks ago, we did not make a big announcement since the previous shipping brackets worked just fine for about 98% of installations out there. In fact, if a customer has their outside brackets welded in place, that would actually take care of 100% of all installations since the customer could then place the bracket at any angle they desired. For the other 2% whose chain angle is greater, the 'straight' brackets work fine, but a few users may experience a little wear on the edge of the bracket tube – which (assuming they don't want to weld their brackets to compensate) we will cover under the lifetime warranty.

The reason we made the change was to accommodate the few customers with Aluminum frames that could not weld their brackets to the frame, and also for customers who very severe angles found with some trailers that have couplers that are much lower than the standard ones. Because the new angled brackets would work equally well on standard installs, it was an easy decision to change it going forward.

A few customers wanted the option to ship their unused brackets back to us (postage paid both ways by the customer) and we shipped out a replacement set at no charge to them.

If, for whatever reason, you would like a set of the angled brackets they are priced at $69.99 retail + shipping 2 outside brackets only.

Please contact us if you need further help.

--Andrew

Customer Service

Andersen Hitches …Made in America!
Off: 208.523.6460 | Fax: 208.523.6562
customerservice@andersenhitches.com
www.andersenhitches.com

Old 12-03-2012, 01:38 PM   #1082
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Thanks Andrew. I trust you are still following this thread. That was an upright thing for Andersen to do.

That may make it a little harder for the Nay Sayers now.

It is getting harder to fine quality products with quality support.

Old 12-03-2012, 02:05 PM   #1083
4 Rivet Member

1987 25' Sovereign
Oregon , Ohio
I just started to installe my new Andersen hitch. Set the trailer level and coupler is at 18 3/4". Now to set the hitch ball height, problem. The top of the ball needs to be between 19 3/4" and 20 1/4". The shank will raise the ball to 18 1/2" on the drop side and lower the ball to 22 1/2" on the riser side. There appears to be a 4" dead space right were my hitch ball needs to be.We have a 2001 F150 crew with only 76,000 miles that a wondreful job of towing our 25' Airstream. Do I need to sell it and buy a new truck with a higher rear end to put the receiver up at least 2" higher.
Old 12-03-2012, 02:11 PM   #1084
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by msmcv51 View Post
I just started to installe my new Andersen hitch. Set the trailer level and coupler is at 18 3/4". Now to set the hitch ball height, problem. The top of the ball needs to be between 19 3/4" and 20 1/4". The shank will raise the ball to 18 1/2" on the drop side and lower the ball to 22 1/2" on the riser side. There appears to be a 4" dead space right were my hitch ball needs to be.We have a 2001 F150 crew with only 76,000 miles that a wondreful job of towing our 25' Airstream. Do I need to sell it and buy a new truck with a higher rear end to put the receiver up at least 2" higher.
I had the same problem, and seems to be kind of common. Take a look at what I did on page 48 of this thread, post #661. Had the stinger part welded locally (35 bucks) so I could get the ball height I needed.

Much cheaper then buying a new truck, or even buying a new hitch part.
Old 12-03-2012, 02:55 PM   #1085
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
I honestly cannot tell any difference when towing using the new angled brackets supplied to me by Andersen, but it does look better. Everything lines up nice and straight and I am definitely getting less if any at all rubbing on the chain as it moves in and out of the box.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
Old 12-03-2012, 06:17 PM   #1086
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
I installed the Anderson a month or so ago but haven't had it out yet. I did take it for a test drive at the time of installation. We are planning a southern trip but not until
mid-Feb so I will keep an eye on things then. The brackets they sent me were the former design. I installed them without welding for now. When I see how things are and work out any bugs I will weld them at that time. I did call them and asked to have a hitch with a longer bar made since the original would cause the tailgate on my truck to interfere with the A-frame jack. Haven't heard back from them to arrange payment and shipping for the modified hitch. Are the modified brackets made longer also or just angled to ease the abrasion on the chains ??? I think several inches longer would be the best of both worlds. I may just make my own down the road a bit.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

Old 12-03-2012, 06:26 PM   #1087
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Roger

Don't weld the brackets. If you have to weld weld small blocks against the brackets and weld them in place. Future removal or adjustment will be greatly facilitated.

Angling the brackets you have so that the chains are centered in the square tubes will solve the ware problem. Extending the bracket legs beyond the bottom of the A frame just to square thing up may result in the bracket arm bending under load applied to the extra length. Not worth the risk to find out.

Old 12-03-2012, 06:26 PM   #1088
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by polarlyse View Post
I think several inches longer would be the best of both worlds. I may just make my own down the road a bit.
I think longer would be better, at least on an Airstream with the coupler mounted so low, but wonder if they wouldn't need to be built from stonger material.

Any Mechanical Engineers here that can get some numbers going on this?
Old 12-03-2012, 06:28 PM   #1089
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Roger

Don't weld the brackets. If you have to weld weld small blocks against the brackets and weld them in place. Future removal or adjustment will be greatly facilitated.

Angling the brackets you have so that the chains are centered in the square tubes will solve the ware problem. Extending the bracket legs beyond the bottom of the A frame just to square thing up may result in the bracket arm bending under load applied to the extra length.Not from chain tension but from hitting something on a turn. Not worth the risk to find out.

Old 12-03-2012, 06:56 PM   #1090
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Roger, I think you should install the hitch as designed. A lengthened stinger would give the trailer more leverage in sway, defeating some of the benefits of the Andersen or any hitch.

I would also wonder if lengthened brackets would put too much stress on them, and possibly your A-frame. Again it's added leverage that may be above design strength of the whole assembly.

doug k
Old 12-04-2012, 08:46 AM   #1091
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
Thanks for the input. The added length is minimal and I will keep an eye on it after giving it a try. It is only 2" longer and I will keep the original one in case I find any issue with its use.

Howie, I was thinking about the added length issue and if I decided to try that out I would probably go a little heavier on the steel. I measure the original at 0.625". I don't plan to do any welding for awhile so I will have time to think on that one too. A few posts back one of our Canadian friends had done this and I liked his idea. I don't know if he went a little heavier or not on the metal though. But I will leave all things original to try it out.

Bye-the-way Howie, how did you manage during our big storm ??? Lots of big trees around your neighborhood. We, personally, did OK but lots of trees down all around. Still cleaning up. Mother Nature at work.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

Old 12-06-2012, 05:40 AM   #1092
4 Rivet Member

1987 25' Sovereign
Oregon , Ohio
I talked with Dave at Andersen. They are making a shank that will cover the 4" dead space for our truck. It is only $75 including shipping and it will be powder coated just like new. It is cheaper than a new truck.