Closed Thread

Old 11-19-2012, 05:37 PM   #953
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE View Post
It doesn't matter. The question all along has been could the Andersen transfer "ANY" weight to the front axle of the TV.
Ever since I setup mine on my little trailer and tow vehicle, and I accidentally got the front of the TV too low, there has not been a doubt in my mind the hitch works.

If you return the front of the tow vehicle to the same height as before hitching the trailer, it IS transfering weight. The scale simply proves it to the sceptics.

Old 11-19-2012, 06:05 PM   #954
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Steve it looks like you and I have now covered both ends of the spectrum.

Old 11-19-2012, 06:19 PM   #955
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Yea, and I would actually like to try it on my 31 footer, but not ready to give up my ProPride for it.
Old 11-19-2012, 06:24 PM   #956
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
I have encountered a dilemma with my application of the Anderson hitch. It may apply to others using full sized pickup's for towing but it certainly will apply to my Dodge Ram
3500. I have found that the hitch length from the receiver pin to the ball center is just about 1.5" shorter for the Anderson. This would not allow me to open my tailgate with the trailer hitched. My tailgate would hit the tongue jack. I called Anderson today and they will make me a longer one for $$$$. Beware when ordering a new Anderson and you can probably order one with an extended bar and save a few bucks by getting it at the time of the order. I think the new one will be 2" longer.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

Old 11-19-2012, 07:10 PM   #957
4 Rivet Member

Livingston , Texas
Quote:
---None the less the weights show transfer to the TV countering those that claim it could not be
I don't think anyone has claimed the Andersen WDH could not transfer load to the TV.
The question has been -- how much load can it transfer to the front axle and how much can it remove from the rear axle?

Your data indicate your WDH transferred 120# to the front axle.
For some tongue weights, a transfer of only 120# would be sufficient.
For some tongue weights, a transfer of only 120# would not be sufficient.

Ron
Old 11-19-2012, 07:11 PM   #958
4 Rivet Member

2012 16' Sport
San Bernardino , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by polarlyse View Post
Hi Rich, yesterday you asked about purchasing new cable to re-do yours after damaging it during installation. Check your area for a supplier for trailer parts ( big truck trailers) and just ask them to cut you a length of 7 wire cable. It's a standard item and should be readily available. On my older trailer I also got a junction box and mounted the cable outside of the frame and that worked nicely. On this current trailer I was forwarned about the cable in the frame and with caution was able to drill it without damaging it.
The reason I asked is because I have been looking at various sources online. I find that the color codes are not standardized, nor the wire gauges, insulation thickness, plug types, etc. It seems to be all over the place. so I thought if someone knew where to get an exact Airstream replacement that would be the safe way. But, guess I will have to take my chances. Thanks anyway.
Old 11-19-2012, 07:47 PM   #959
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
I find it interesting that people make a huge deal over 160# not being put back on the front axles while under WD.. And make out that it would be unsafe to drive. (ridiculous) But we load our TV up with people, luggage, groceries, and other things and drive around without any WD what so ever, with lots of weight on the rear taking weight from the front. I put 1000's of lbs in the back of my truck with no WD and drive around. And we don't have a problem with that???? Makes me wonder how people think sometimes????

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
Old 11-19-2012, 07:48 PM   #960
4 Rivet Member

Livingston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster View Post
The total weight of the TV did not change when the wd was applied. The hitch did transfer some weight from the rear to the front axle, but none was transferred back to the trailer.
It would be interesting to see if weight would be transferred to the trailer if the wd was adjusted with more tension on the chains.
It is not possible for a WDH to transfer load to the front axle without also causing load to be transferred to the trailer axle(s).

Scales data for trailers with independently-suspended axles can give a mistaken conclusion that load is not being transferred to the trailer.

When axle loads are measured for the "no WD applied" condition, the rear of the TV and front of the TT usually are lower than with WD applied.
With independent axles, a "nose-down" attitude will cause the vertical load on the ball to be reduced and the load on the TT axles will be increased.
The TT's apparent tongue weight also will be reduced.

When the WDH is activated, the rear of the TV and front of the TT will be lifted to the normal towing height.
This "re-leveling" of the TT will cause load to be removed from the TT's axles and be added to the TV.
At the same time, The WDH will cause load to be removed from the TV and added to the TT's axles.
If the load removed from the TT's axles due to "nose-down" is approximately equal to the load added due to the WDH,
it will appear no load is transferred to the TT's axles by the WDH.

The data reported by HowieE indicate approximately 50# was added to the TT's axles by the WDH and approximately 50# was removed from the tongue weight in the "no WD applied" state.
The actual tongue weight probably was about 670#.

Ron
Old 11-19-2012, 08:00 PM   #961
4 Rivet Member

Livingston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
---Sorry, could not resist.
Flight of the Bumblebee | Numbers | Science News

Ron
Old 11-19-2012, 08:03 PM   #962
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Gratz View Post
It is not possible for a WDH to transfer load to the front axle without also causing load to be transferred to the trailer axle(s).
Ron, You obviously do not understand how the Andersen weight distribution hitch works.
Old 11-19-2012, 08:04 PM   #963
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Quote:
The question has been -- how much load can it transfer to the front axle and how much can it remove from the rear axle?
Ron
First the nay sayers said it would not work, then they said it would not transfer weight to the front axle. Now they say it is not enough transferred.

Yes it has been shown that there is a limit if you adjust the bushing too the point that they fail.

As with any system there is a limit. The Reese Straight Line brakes the yoke on sharp turns. The Ha Ha is known for failed bushings. The Reese Daul Cam bars bend under load when starting up a steep driveway. The point is can the system deliver what the purchaser wanted from the product with some level of reliability.

It has. I wanted a hitch that worked, was easy to hitch up, simple in design, improved the driving characteristics, and cost less.

Go back to one of my early posts. I had to sleep on it overnight before I could get my mind around how it worked and I have made some modes, as have others, in my installation.

But that said post your next theoretical and one of the satisfied users will address it.

Old 11-19-2012, 08:47 PM   #964
4 Rivet Member

Livingston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
Ron, You obviously do not understand how the Andersen weight distribution hitch works.
Steve, you apparently believe a WDH can transfer load to the TV's front axle without transferring load to the TT's axles.

Can you explain to us how that can happen?

Ron
Old 11-19-2012, 09:09 PM   #965
4 Rivet Member

Livingston , Texas
Quote:
First the nay sayers said it would not work, then they said it would not transfer weight to the front axle. Now they say it is not enough transferred.
Please go back and read my posts to this thread -- there aren't that many of them.

Then please point out for us where I said the Andersen WDH would not work or where I said it would not transfer load to the front axle.

As regards whether enough load is transferred -- that's a matter of personal opinion.
For some people, 120# is enough.
For some, 120# is not enough.

Ron
Old 11-19-2012, 09:15 PM   #966
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Steve, you apparently believe a WDH can transfer load to the TV's front axle without transferring load to the TT's axles.

Can you explain to us how that can happen?

Ron
Sure I can explain how that happens. With a conventional weight distribution hitch, the bars that transfer the weight do so by loading downward on the trailer's tongue, and that's what transfers some of the tongue weight back onto the trailer's axle.

With the Andersen weight distribution hitch, the chains pull foward on the trailers tongue, and not downward, so no weight is added to the trailer's axle.

Closed Thread