Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Hitches, Couplers & Balls
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Closed Thread

Old 01-31-2013, 04:55 PM   #1301
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
My Bambi II has a Marvel coupler that I am assuming was original from the factory. It locks up tight and has no play as described by folks with Attwood couplers. That said I still like the set up and security of lock up of the Quickbite and may just swap it out anyway. Next step is to find a welder that will not rape on the price to do the work. I can do some light welding with my little Harbor Freight wire set up but don't feel very comfortable doing a job like this.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
Old 01-31-2013, 05:14 PM   #1302
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
My Bambi II has a Marvel coupler that I am assuming was original from the factory. It locks up tight and has no play as described by folks with Attwood couplers. That said I still like the set up and security of lock up of the Quickbite and may just swap it out anyway. Next step is to find a welder that will not rape on the price to do the work. I can do some light welding with my little Harbor Freight wire set up but don't feel very comfortable doing a job like this.

I had my Atwood replaced (removal of old, weld new on) for $140 in Missoula MT last summer. Less than a 2 hour job.

I didn't have the problem with the old worn out coupler, or with the new one. 7 to 8 thousand miles towing last summer.
Old 01-31-2013, 07:00 PM   #1303
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Apparently the Quickbite come a couple of different finishes. Zinc Oxide Steel and Zinc Plated Steel. What is the difference and what finish do the knowledgeable folks here think would be the best?

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
Old 01-31-2013, 07:56 PM   #1304
3 Rivet Member

1967 20' Globetrotter
denver , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by TG Twinkie View Post
I have written to Andersen (see note above), with NO ANSWER yet! I may have to call them to get an answer.
Has anyone here contacted them about this concern?
I recently purchased and installed the Andersen hitch when this issue was brought up. I have an older unit with the original coupler so I called Andersen today about their product.

They stated they have yet to hear of this issue and asked me if it had been happening to my trailer. I stated I have yet to make a road trip but was concerned about the possibility of this happening to me.

They had no solid answers, stood behind their product and encouraged me to take it to a professional to have the installation evaluated.
Old 01-31-2013, 08:53 PM   #1305
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Hi Liz

I tried to answer your PM but got a note from the modes that it did not go out. A shortcoming of the software or my understanding of my IPhone.

The issue of the failing lock of the Atwood coupling is being reviewed from both sides.

Old 02-01-2013, 06:45 AM   #1306
3 Rivet Member

2013 22' FB Sport
College Place , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
Apparently the Quickbite come a couple of different finishes. Zinc Oxide Steel and Zinc Plated Steel. What is the difference and what finish do the knowledgeable folks here think would be the best?
I wonder if the finish effects whether you should weld or bolt it on the trailer.
Old 02-01-2013, 07:40 AM   #1307
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Any coating of any type should be removed in the areas to be welded. Including the paint from the "A" frame of the trailer. Any foreign material in the weld will affect the strength.
Old 02-01-2013, 09:06 AM   #1308
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
When you grind down the areas to be welded there are a couple of choices for a coating. There are weld through paints that can / should be applied to the bare metal to protect that which is behind the welded part. In the photo's shown above you can see the rusted metal when the old coupler was removed. Any coating applied to the bare metal is a + in rust prevention and these weld through coatings make for a really nice job. They are available at any source that sells automotive paint supplies. NAPA auto parts is one common source.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

Old 02-01-2013, 11:08 AM   #1309
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
I sent an email to the maker of the Quickbite asking about the available coatings and received this back:

The difference is that that Zinc oxide steel has a coating on it. The Zinc Plated Steel is plated and is more durable. If you have any other questions, please contact us.

Thank you,

Lippert Components, Inc
Customer Service
1701 Century Dr.
Goshen, Indiana 46528

I also talked to a couple of local welding shops and they both said their labor rate was $75 an hour if I brought the trailer to them and $100 an hour if they came to my house to do the job (clock starts when they leave their shop).

Old 02-01-2013, 11:29 AM   #1310
Rivet Idiot

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
On The Lake , Georgia
My Quickbite got here this morning. Very quick service. My welder is coming in the morning and grind off the old and weld the new.
This is the one I got.
Quickbite Trailer Coupler - A-Frame Tongue - 2-5/16 in Ball - 15k
Old 02-01-2013, 11:47 AM   #1311
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Hmmm . . . we have a new trailer but I'm seeing this coupler as a relatively inexpensive upgrade to a stronger and easier to use system. Our user-friendly Andersen hitch could be further improved with this?

doug k
Old 02-01-2013, 11:59 AM   #1312
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
I actually wonder about the strength of the Quickbite.

Seems like all of the pressure in all plains is applied to the two little pins that hold the jaws.
Old 02-02-2013, 06:19 PM   #1313
4 Rivet Member

2012 16' Sport
San Bernardino , California
Follow up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich of SCal View Post
Andersen is great about some things and not so about about others. I am Airstreaming in PS using my new Andersen for the first time. I am with friends who bought one I did but couldn't use it on this trip because Andersen has had his brackets since November and won't send him the new angled ones they promised. At their instruction he shipped the original ones to them. They keep promising to send them, but never follow through. So he had to come out here with no WD whatsoever. Yes, this is second hand info, but he is sitting right next me as I type this. In fact he let me check his Andersen for sizing, which led to my purchase. Very poor customer service IMHO.
FYI my friend FINALLY got his brackets. It only took a few months of asking and waiting and going without any. But at least it is finally done.
Old 02-03-2013, 02:42 PM   #1314
Rivet Idiot

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
On The Lake , Georgia
Quickbite is on

OK, I got the Quickbite installed yesterday. I took longer than what I expected and wound up a 3 hour & 15 minute job for my welder. He charged $195. which I thought was reasonable. The old hitch was welded really good so he had to use the torch to get it off. Also, it appeared one side of the frame was slightly longer than the other so we were careful to get it lined up from the axles to make sure it would be on straight. The Quickbite is made of a thicker metal and the welder said it was a lot "more" of a coupler than the old one.
I had to completely reinstall the Anderson and move the brackets about and 1.5 inches forward. I will check it again when I go out this week to see if it needs tweeking again. Hitching with this thing is really sweet. I back in to it the first time just using my back up camera.
The photo of the coupler looks like there may be a broken piece in the upper left side. I think it is different than where HowieE's was but I did not see it until I looked at the photo of mine.
Joe
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0138.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	287.7 KB
ID:	178076   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0134.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	350.2 KB
ID:	178077  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0139.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	203.6 KB
ID:	178078  
Old 02-03-2013, 02:50 PM   #1315
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Russ: it does look like your coupler has worse internal problems than the one I replaced. Now, mine had not been used with the Andersen when I discovered the internal cracking so it was already there when I changed hitch types. Yours may have also had the problem from prior use, but who knows at this point.
Old 02-04-2013, 03:10 PM   #1316
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Kscherzi

I have been in contact with the in inventor of the Quickbite and he said that Airstream at one time would deliver a new unit with a Quickbite coupler.
Even given the markup that they may want it would be a good idea considering what I have seen with my Atwood failure.

For those that are following things I hope to replace the Atwood before heading north as I would not want to travel Jersey roads with a coupler that can come off if I hit a good pot hole,

Old 02-05-2013, 09:07 AM   #1317
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
san mateo , California
Safety does take precedence. Looks like The Atwood and the Andersen aren't too compatible due to the unique horizontal pressure that the Andersen hitch applies. Fortunately there seems to be other couplers safe enough to handle the tremendous horizontal pull of the Andersen as I do like the hitch a lot.
Old 02-05-2013, 10:43 AM   #1318
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
I don't feel unsafe with my new Atwood coupler/Andersen hitch because everything is snug when hooked up. I can see the concerns about wear of the Atwood latching mechanism in general over time, with any hitch.

Is the Atwood latching mechanism replaceable when worn or broken?

doug k
Old 02-05-2013, 11:47 AM   #1319
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
I would not say that the Anderson WD system is not compatable with any brand of coupler based on the few reports sighted here. There might be unreported or unrelated issues that we are not aware of. I have looked at several other forums that have active discussions about the Andersen system and have found no other mention of simular problems being reported by any one else.

Old 02-05-2013, 11:48 AM   #1320
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
My old Atwood failed by cracking on the internal cup. It still held the ball just fine with the Andersen hitch. The cracking was prior to the Andersen. My guess is that it had 150 - 200 K on it when I replaced it.

My new Atwood is fine with the Andersen, with the first 7 to 8 K on it so far.
Closed Thread