Closed Thread

Old 10-15-2012, 12:31 PM   #869
2 Rivet Member

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Dayton , Ohio
Hi,
New member here. I was hoping you guys could answer some questions for me. I just purchased a 2007 19ft bambi. I have to drive 8 hours to pick it up and would like to get a Andersen WDH before I go.

Q1-what size brackets do I need?
Q2-will the brackets and chains clear the propane cover?
Q3-what size drop? I will be towing with a 2005 chevy 2500 crewcab 4x4 until my 2013 tacoma crewcab 4x4 comes in. I would like to get one drop I can use on both.

Thanks for the help.

Chad

Old 10-15-2012, 01:15 PM   #870
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
I just got mine and have not yet installed it. I don't know what size frame yours will have but mine was 5.5" I think. The brackets I have are for 5.5" - 6" frames and fit nicely on mine. As for the drop I would recommend NOT getting the large drop. I think it was 8" drop. I did get it and it's way to much and I think I will try and change for a 4" or 6" drop. I have a Dodge 3500 4x4 stock suspension. It is a large truck but it was way too much drop for me. I don't think you'll find that great of a height difference between the 2 trucks in your posting.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

Old 10-15-2012, 01:37 PM   #871
4 Rivet Member

2012 16' Sport
San Bernardino , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumbac View Post
Hi,
Q1-what size brackets do I need?
Q2-will the brackets and chains clear the propane cover?
Q3-what size drop? I will be towing with a 2005 chevy 2500 crewcab 4x4 until my 2013 tacoma crewcab 4x4 comes in. I would like to get one drop I can use on both.
Q1- measure your frame. mine is 4" and the 3 to 4" brackets fit perfectly. They are longer than 4", but the bolts fit just outside my frame with very little wiggle room.
Q2- they come with 14 links. the measurement from center of the coupler to the brackets is about 28" give or take an inch, depending on how you measure it. You can remove a link or two, but if you need more you should contact Andersen and have it included. Propane covers vary. Mine clears as is, with no problem on my 16' Sport.
Q3- you do not need as big a drop as you might think. I tow with a Jeep Rubicon. my receiver is 20" from the ground to inside top, but the 4" drop was more than enough. I even had to raise it up one hole. Based on my old shank, I though I was going to need an 8" drop....not even close!
Old 10-16-2012, 07:27 AM   #872
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Andersen user report after 1000 miles.

In extreme and gusting crosswinds there was no hint of sway. The tow vehicle does have electronic sway control. Rain did not reduce its effectiveness. Very comfortable driving, no steering input needed, all steady.

The push and vacuum of big trucks passing was felt but did not induce any hint of sway.

On rough roads, especially segmented concrete, the ride was much more pleasant than my Equal-I-Zer hitch.

Drilling and adding a through-bolt to the top of the frame bracket kept the chain tube aligned and in place.

Even with some alignment of the chain tube to the chain triangle, there is some chain wear. There is also wear on the hitch ball on the top and aft. I'll going to spray a shot of CorrosionX as a lube on each to see if it reduces wear today.

System is really easy and clean to connect/disconnect.

doug k
Old 10-16-2012, 08:17 AM   #873
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
All most an incident report.

I was driving home from camping weekend before last, speed 60 MPH, dry 4 lane divided highway, minimal wind when I had a pick-up truck in front of me lose a ladder out the back. This all happened so fast that I was running on pure instinct. First impulse was to hit the brakes hard. At the same time I made a rapid correction to the right trying to stay out of the path of the ladder. The ladder just cleared both the TV and trailer high on the left side. I continued the course correction back in to my lane after the ladder went past and then pulled over to the side of the road to get my breath back and my heart rate back to somewhat normal.
Both the TV and the trailer felt very solid and totally in control. My 2012 Ford F150 Ecoboost has anti-sway/braking control and uses a Ford factory trailer brake controller. Out of the corner of my eye while making the wild maneuvers I noticed lights on my dash flashing on and off and I could feel the brake pedal modulating under my foot. I am assuming that was the TV anti-sway/braking control working. This was the first real test of my trailer brakes after going thru lots of $$$ and several months getting them working. Thanks to Foley Airstream in Gulfport, Mississippi for the excellent job on the trailer brakes.
The combination of the TV anti-sway/braking control capabilities, properly working trailer brakes and the Andersen WD hitch system all worked perfectly. I am pretty sure that any of these systems had not been working at 100% I would have been in real trouble. My faith in my total towing package has gone up a large notch.

PS: New angled brackets arrived yesterday. Will report on them after I get installed.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
Old 10-16-2012, 02:41 PM   #874
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
I installed my Anderson today. Pretty straightforward and easy to follow instructions made the job go well. I took it for a test drive but a couple of miles on country roads don't tell the story very well. So that will need to wait for a road trip out on the highways. As carefully as I tried somehow one side came out 1" longer than the other. Not sure how I did that and I may need to make some adjustments. Kinda sucks since I drilled the holes for the set screws already. So we'll see how that comes out. I spoke with Jason at Anderson and he said I could always take an extra link out of the short side chain. I hate to do that and make the chains unbalanced. Then I'd have to keep them oriented R/L all the time. I prefer to keep both sides equal. I will take a look at that another day. But for now, the test drive went well and the handling of my truck seemed to be good also.

The 8" drop is definitely too much. I may look to change it unless my son wants to keep it for use on his lifted truck. It works fine but I just don't need that much.

Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

Old 10-16-2012, 02:46 PM   #875
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Other than looks it does not matter. The hitch is Self Centering so the position of the chains is just a question of looks.

Once the load is placed on the system the plate will position itself in the neutral position and stay there.

Old 10-16-2012, 04:37 PM   #876
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
Thanks Howie. I think it's just ME. If it bothers me I'll work at it. If not ........ .
We'll see.

Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

Old 10-16-2012, 05:31 PM   #877
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
I am using the 8" drop shank on my air suspension 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee as the hitch box is very high. You can see the setup on P.34, post 463 of this thread. My Argosy has 16" wheels and a new axle, so it is also fairly high. No problem with the hitch vertical section being too low on the GC, but each rig varies of course.
Old 11-04-2012, 07:05 PM   #878
1 Rivet Member

1968 28' Ambassador
Savannah , Georgia
I just made my first trip with the Andersen with roughly 900 miles (Arkansas to Savannah) and was VERY impressed! Very little sway with big trucks passing me but otherwise the Airstream and truck seemed very "in tune" with each other. I'm VERY happy with my decision to get this hitch.
BTW 1968 Airstream Ambassador with Ford Explorer with the "real" tow package.
Old 11-07-2012, 05:48 PM   #879
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
I too took a short trip (100 miles) with my small trailer equipped with the Andersen, and it performed with excellence. I really like this hitch with this rig.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0063.JPG
Views:	109
Size:	556.9 KB
ID:	172273  
Old 11-10-2012, 06:31 PM   #880
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
san mateo , California
Ah

Just read the entire thread and got to know everyone just like characters in a novel but especially got to know the Andersen Hitch. What valuable information and thank you all. I've also read the PP thread and felt the same way. I believe that these 2 hitches are the best today. The PP is solid, no sway, WD adjustment great and customer support unmatched, Sean. The Andersen eliminates just about all sway, just about as solid but for the mounting brackets and tubing issues which are fixable, customer support, good. I will definitely buy one or the other for our cross country trip next spring.

I live on a downhill road, driveway uphill and pulling out and in is difficult. My standard WDH bars I remove as it bottoms out and used wooden ramps to lift the rear of my 31' AS before scraping is a ritual for each trip. Now the PP has permanently bolted WDH bars of which I perhaps would relax to lift the rear end, doable but also may need higher ramps, unsure as I've not tried it? The Andersen Hitch stays in place, perhaps relaxing the WD chains and may need or not my ramps? Thus my predicament. I will decide very soon.

Comments on the Andersen mounting brackets, I thought that the idea posted on adding those channel like spacers above and below between the plates is a good one to try. Also using steel shims above and below countering the pull w/ those spacers or just w/ the 2 mounting bolts ought to be explored. I may if I do get the AH, (Andersen Hitch). The "no" drilling on frames then which I prefer. It seems that welding like recommended or drilling thru or both does the job. As to the chain/tubing scraping for now an open question but a straight alignment is a must.

One question;
When ordering do I specify the angled tube plate or just hope to get one?
Old 11-10-2012, 06:42 PM   #881
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
I would assume all production now has the dropped angle brackets but you might ask if ordering from a dealer that may have OLD stock.

Old 11-11-2012, 02:04 PM   #882
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
This seems to be what happened to me. Anderson Co. referred me to a distributor and I ordered from them. When it came it had the earlier design bracket. Check when placing the order so you get the most current design.

Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

Closed Thread