Closed Thread

Old 06-07-2012, 02:23 PM   #71
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
You guys are right.

The rearward force applied by the chains to the bottom of the shaft is off set by a forward force acting on the pawl within the coupling. The ball/coupling is the fulcrum in this system.

I went out and looked at my hitch. There is a clear marking on the back side of the ball where it rest against the pawl. While there is No evidence of ware at that point it did cause me to rethink things and realized what you have said to be the case.

Now will the pawl be the point of failure over time that is the open question.

All mechanical systems have a point of failure whether by oversight or by design. I will save the failed pawl, pictured above, from my old coupling and compare it to the next failure when and if it happens.

I guess I will have to contain my comment to the operational advantages of the game changer.

Old 06-07-2012, 02:30 PM   #72
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
HowieE,

That would be great, but hope you have no failures.

This hitch does really interest me because I like the idea that it is simple, light weight, inexpensive, and easy to install and operate. I've read lots of reports that it performs great, and that's very good.

I'm just not ready to get away from my ProPride until such time that we have some historical data from long term usage. If I was in the market for a hitch, that would be a different story and I would try one in a heartbeat.

Please continue to keep us informed.

Old 06-07-2012, 02:40 PM   #73
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Gig Harbor , Washington
What a great thread. Andersen.........What do you think? Lots of relevant expertise here. Can you convince me to sell the ugly orange beast and purchase this sleek hitch? Show me some of your static and dynamic test conclusions. Most people who have taken part in this thread are capable of understanding the technical info. We could be your biggest advocates. Ascetically your product is much more pleasing.

Dan
Old 06-07-2012, 02:42 PM   #74

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Some great insight and knowledge being presented in this thread. Hitches, like tow vehicle selection can be a charged subject so thanks for keeping responses professional.

I hope Andersen provides some feedback and likewise members running this system keep sharing their experiences. Perhaps HowieE will start an "Andersen WD Users" thread similar to the popular ones on Ha Ha and PP.

"You wouldn't worry so much about what others think of you if you realized how seldom they do."

Eleanor Roosevelt

Old 06-07-2012, 02:49 PM   #75
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
I will ask the Modes if the title can be changed. I don't want to just abandon the information to date.

Old 06-07-2012, 02:57 PM   #76
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Another thing about the Andersen hitch that concerns me, and has not been mentioned in this thread, is the fact that the ball assembly is aluminum.

I would be much happier with a hardened steel ball/post assembly.

I know that Andersen has used aluminum hitch balls successfully for a long time, but I believe this is the first time they have put these kinds of loads on an Aluminum ball/post.
Old 06-07-2012, 03:03 PM   #77
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
I just sent a link for this discussion to Andersen with a request that they check it out and respond to the questions that are being asked here. It seems to me that there exist a bit of confusion in the minds of some and hopefully someone from Andersen will respond and clear some of those questions up.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
Old 06-07-2012, 03:06 PM   #78
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
I hope you are more successful than I am. When I first learned of this hitch, I e-mailed them directly with a few specific questions, and they never responded to my e-mail.
Old 06-07-2012, 03:17 PM   #79
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
I hope you are more successful than I am. When I first learned of this hitch, I e-mailed them directly with a few specific questions, and they never responded to my e-mail.
I have been dealing directly with Dave Andersen from day one on my purchase. He has always been very responsive to my calls and e-mails. My specific combination took a bit of re-engineering on the part of Andersen. My frame size did not fit the standard sizes that they had anticipated. The Bambi II has a 3 inch A-frame.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
Old 06-07-2012, 03:19 PM   #80
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
Another thing about the Andersen hitch that concerns me, and has not been mentioned in this thread, is the fact that the ball assembly is aluminum.
The ball is rated at 14,000 lbs and my magnet sticks to it. Yes the housing is aluminum.

In the passed the owner has answered the phone so give him a call.

Old 06-07-2012, 03:19 PM   #81
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
I have been dealing directly with Dave Andersen from day one on my purchase. He has always been very responsive to my calls and e-mails. My specific combination took a bit of re-engineering on the part of Andersen. My frame size did not fit the standard sizes that they had anticipated. The Bambi II has a 3 inch A-frame.
It's good to hear they are responsive to you. A very good quality in a manufacturer, and speaks highly of them.
Old 06-07-2012, 03:41 PM   #82

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE
I will ask the Modes if the title can be changed. I don't want to just abandon the information to date.
Done.

"You wouldn't worry so much about what others think of you if you realized how seldom they do."

Eleanor Roosevelt

Old 06-07-2012, 03:45 PM   #83
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Gig Harbor , Washington
Good, now let's see how Andersen weighs in. We've given them lots of food for thought.
Old 06-07-2012, 03:59 PM   #84
Rivet Idiot

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
On The Lake , Georgia
I would imagine they would be to busy to play on the forums. Once you start it is hard to find a stopping point to get off. I know of two other forums where this same conversation is going on.
I just ordered the hitch this morning. I think it will work just fine. I'll hit the scales when I get it on.
Joe