Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 12-31-2012, 07:32 PM   #1161
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Merkel , Texas
TV and trailer

I got an '06 25' Safari FB SE LS and my TV is an '08 Ford 3/4 ton diesel 4x4 6.5' bed. The way it pitched the trailer around with the hitch the dealer put on I am hopeful that the Andersen can be dialed in to provide a better ride for the trailer and the passengers in the TV. Thanks for asking.
Old 12-31-2012, 09:11 PM   #1162
1972 Travelux Princess 25

Cobourg , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by afneill View Post
I got an '06 25' Safari FB SE LS and my TV is an '08 Ford 3/4 ton diesel 4x4 6.5' bed. The way it pitched the trailer around with the hitch the dealer put on I am hopeful that the Andersen can be dialed in to provide a better ride for the trailer and the passengers in the TV. Thanks for asking.
The Anderson should be perfect for your needs, if the reports from users with similar rigs are anything to go by.

Dealers tend to put on too heavy of a hitch. Others have had the same problem, in some cases the hitch setup is so rough it damages the trailer. The Anderson seems to be a very smooth rig.
Old 12-31-2012, 09:30 PM   #1163
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Ron Gratz, thanks for all the criticism in your post #1153. I have had the Andersen on two different trucks and adjusted it multiple times, so take your pick. I've got a pocket full of notes if you want some more.

Trying to help here with real experience, and I get ridiculed for it.

doug k
Old 12-31-2012, 09:43 PM   #1164
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
Laughing to myself. This thread is like the Mayan Calendar - it just goes around and around in circles and keeps coming back to the same point.
Like someone previously said:
(Paraphrased) There are two views on the Andersen System. Those that have actually and honestly used the system and are generally happy with the performance and those that have not and no matter what anyone tells them just will not except that it works as advertised.
People will always have different views, as well as sometimes very strong opinions.

Some feel that if they didn't do it, it won't work. Others say "Oh well".

Then there are others that feel that "won't" and "work" are just another couple of nasty words.

All of this gives RV owners more to chat about instead of just the lousy construction of their coach.

Things will always happen.

How about what used to be our four seasons??

Andy
Old 12-31-2012, 10:07 PM   #1165
4 Rivet Member

Livingston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
Ron Gratz, thanks for all the criticism in your post #1153.
Doug,

My comments in Post #1153 were not directed at you.

They pertain to the quote at the beginning of the Post.

Ron
Old 01-01-2013, 08:32 AM   #1166
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Gratz View Post
That might be true if there were no hysteresis in the suspension components --
but, in reality, the friction-related hysteresis in suspension components means that there is not an exact correlation between height and weight.

I think any reasonable person who looks at very much height/load data would conclude that if heights are the same, the weights are not necessarily the same.

Also, wheel well height is not always measured and reported accurately. For the case in point:

Doug reported in Post # 757, "Truck very close to original attitude using wheel well measurements, and trailer about an inch low in front."

In Post # 764, he reported, "Trailer perfect level, truck down 1" in back and up 1/2" in front.

And, today he reported, "Steve, with Andersen and without. Front same height, rear down 3/4".

So, I don't know whether the front end was returned exactly to the unhitched height.
But, I do know that even if it were, that does not prove that the front actually was returned to the unhitched load.

Depending on the spring rate, a height discrepancy of 1/2" might correspond to a load discrepancy of 300#.

If you really want to know how much load is being transferred, you should get some accurate axle load data and forget about using wheel well heights.

Ron
OK Ron, Now I'm calling BS!

Please provide us scale data that shows significantly different load on an any tow vehicle axle with the exact same height measurements.

At this point it seems that no matter what anyone says about the Andersen hitch, you say it's not so and just want to argue about it. Do you own and use an Andersen hitch? Do you own and use ANY weight distribution hitch? Do you own and tow an Airstream?

You have no data in your profile that indicates you even tow an Airstream, what your experiences are, and at this point, it seems to me you might even be just a troll. Do you work for one of the other hitch manufacturers?
Old 01-01-2013, 09:23 AM   #1167
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Austin , Texas
I believe Ron Gratz is with Hensley hitch.
Old 01-01-2013, 09:24 AM   #1168
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
How the heck does an inanimate object evoke such passionate emotion?

Can I repeat my dispassionate question?

Is it possible the Andersen is better suited for heavy duty tow vehicles that a) don't seem to require as much weight distribution as say cars of 20 years ago and b) have some amount of "sway control" built in (usually via auto-braking capabilities)?
Old 01-01-2013, 09:29 AM   #1169
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by pattonsr View Post
I believe Ron Gratz is with Hensley hitch.
OK, THAT would explain the objective of most all of his posts on this thread.
Old 01-01-2013, 09:36 AM   #1170
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Gratz View Post
That might be true if there were no hysteresis in the suspension components --
but, in reality, the friction-related hysteresis in suspension components means that there is not an exact correlation between height and weight.

Ron
HYSTERESIS

Ron you are really reaching for the sky on this one. Yes every mechanical system has some hysteresis in it but generally we are talking about something in the third decimal place.

In my scale weights I accepted that the scale accuracy was + or - 20 lbs, the hysteresis of the scale, and I think you should also accept the minimal effect on a system of 17,000 lbs. when comparing fender measurements.

At this point you would have more creditability if you just posted something on the lines of "Peter Peter Punkin Eater"

Old 01-01-2013, 10:01 AM   #1171
1972 Travelux Princess 25

Cobourg , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
How the heck does an inanimate object evoke such passionate emotion?

Can I repeat my dispassionate question?

Is it possible the Andersen is better suited for heavy duty tow vehicles that a) don't seem to require as much weight distribution as say cars of 20 years ago and b) have some amount of "sway control" built in (usually via auto-braking capabilities)?
I believe you have hit the nail on the head with a) The Andersen does seem to work better in that application. It does seem to have a softer action than the spring bar type hitch.

It has been established in other threads, that many Airstreams come with too heavy a set of spring bars when set up by the dealer. To the point where the trailer gets shaken to pieces with popped rivets etc. The solution is to use lighter spring bars .

The Andersen hitch uses urethane rubber in place of steel bars, and has a gentle action. Most users have commented on this. The smoothness and ease of towing, along with complete control.

The one person who tried it on a car with a large trailer, Andy from Can Am, found he could not get enough weight transfer.

The consensus seems to be, that the Andersen works best when the tow vehicle is in proportion to the trailer, either a large tow vehicle and large trailer or smaller tow vehicle with smaller trailer.
Old 01-01-2013, 10:46 AM   #1172
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganaraska View Post
The consensus seems to be, that the Andersen works best when the tow vehicle is in proportion to the trailer, either a large tow vehicle and large trailer or smaller tow vehicle with smaller trailer.
Most also believe the Andersen hitch works well with a large tow vehicle and small trailer.

I also think most would agree it wont work with surge brakes.
Old 01-01-2013, 10:52 AM   #1173
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post

Anything is possible. I don't recall reading of anyone using the Andersen System on any cars 20 years old. I can only say that the Andersen works very well with my combination of a 1964 Bambi II and a 2012 F150 SCREW Ecoboost.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
Old 01-01-2013, 10:56 AM   #1174
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wazbro View Post

First I have heard of an issue using the Andersen System with surge brakes. Why would it not work?

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
Old 01-01-2013, 11:40 AM   #1175
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
First I have heard of an issue using the Andersen System with surge brakes. Why would it not work?
The chains on the Andersen pull the trailer forward against the ball the same way the trailers weight would to activate the surge brakes when stopping. So with 1000lbs per chain 2000lbs total you would need nearly 2000lbs of force pulling (that wasn't lost in moving the trailer) just to deactivate the brakes.

Kind of similar to the reason most trailers with surge brakes have a way to deactivate them when backing up.
Old 01-01-2013, 01:00 PM   #1176
3 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy 28
Irrigon , Oregon
I've followed this post though all 84 pages. With the improvements Anderson did with the chain guide. And using just a generic WD in the past, I really believe it would be the perfect match for my 22 foot Argosy. I am also willing to try it on my 28 foot Argosy. So hopefully I'll have one on my trailer before I use it this year.
Plus whats not to love about the reduced weight of the hitch and no grease.
Old 01-01-2013, 01:29 PM   #1177
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
The chains on the Andersen pull the trailer forward against the ball the same way the trailers weight would to activate the surge brakes when stopping. So with 1000lbs per chain 2000lbs total you would need nearly 2000lbs of force pulling (that wasn't lost in moving the trailer) just to deactivate the brakes.

Kind of similar to the reason most trailers with surge brakes have a way to deactivate them when backing up.
Thank you,

Old 01-01-2013, 04:11 PM   #1178
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Cat City , California
I last posted here in September. It's an interesting thread made more interesting by what I believe to be the mis-communication between posters. I think there are two arguments in play and they are not mutually exclusive positions, even though the ongoing dialog tries to make them so.

Argument 1 - The Hitch Works
Sure, you can connect it with a trailer and tow a trailer and things seem to be fine. No one has had a failure (that I know of) and people are happy with the handling.

Argument 2 - The Hitch Doesn't Transfer Weight Very Well
This is a technical argument in which it is being shown that the hitch transfers less weight than other kinds of WD hitches. And that further, to transfer the theoretically correct weight, it would require a force that would exceed the rating of the chains.

Argument 2 does NOT negate Argument 1. Both arguments can be true, and in all likelihood both ARE true. The hitch works well enough to satisfy users, and it doesn't transfer the weight as well as other WD hitch types.

In short, everyone is right. But, you'd never know it by reading the general comments.

The hitch uses an inefficient form of leverage for the WD action. It's far more efficient mechanically to use a long lever than a short one. Anyone can prove that to themselves in the backyard using a stick and a rock.

That inefficient lever doesn't mean the "hitch don't work." It's just a comment about the ED capability of the hitch. Apparently there are other features that make it a very attractive idea. So, on balance - users like it. But some potential users who may need more WD, might not find it so attractive compared to competing designs.

There's really not much controversy here. I think Ron Gratz has shown the WD problem, and I think others have shown that the "hitch works nicely." No conflict, really!
Old 01-01-2013, 04:37 PM   #1179
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Thanks for answering my question, Ganaraska and awchief.

I'm still planning on the ProPride more for the non-sway benefit than anything. In fact, my TV manual says WD is optional for my application. Perhaps Sean has a non-WD option?

Either way, I think mstephens (I hope that was the correct username?) summed things up very well.

A salubrious 2013 to everyone! :-)
Old 01-01-2013, 07:21 PM   #1180
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Quote:
Most also believe the Andersen hitch works well with a large tow vehicle and small trailer.

Yes

Having adapted a Reese Hitch to surge brakes, a tandem axle Jayco pop up, against the advise of the brake, trailer, and Reese manufactures I think I have to agree with this one.

While it is the first limitation to the Andersen that has been put forth I think it is correct. Considering the way the Andersen puts pressure on the back of the ball, against the coupling, I have to assume it would be applying the brakes at all times. Bar type hitches exert no horizontal force to the coupling

Now that said and given the fact that all of the above manufactures recommend against it maybe we have to accept this limitation.

Closed Thread