Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 09-30-2012, 03:09 PM   #771
4 Rivet Member
 
2005 28' Safari
saline , Michigan
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 408
To those of you who have installed the brackets at an angle in an effort to minize chain wear, please report back after 5000 mile and let us know what you have. Thanks.
__________________

__________________
Kosm1o is offline  
Old 09-30-2012, 08:33 PM   #772
4 Rivet Member
 
Rich of SCal's Avatar
 
2012 16' Sport
San Bernardino , California
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 438
Images: 2
Today a friend with a 19' AS let me borrow his Andersen wd set up to see how it would fit on my 16' AS. I am very impressed by the quality and apparent strength of the hardware. As others have said it is much more substantial looking when you see it in person, than in any of the pictures. Gives me a lot of confidence seeing how well it is made.

Once I figure my drop, chain length, etc. I will definitely be ordering.
__________________

__________________
Rich of SCal is offline  
Old 09-30-2012, 10:31 PM   #773
Rivet Master
 
purman's Avatar
 
1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 2,542
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Ms75Argosy
Nice! That's the best install here I've seen yet! Thanks... I like the added option of adding more to the chains when you have a heavier load. I think I have more squat in the rear of my Sequoia with my Ea Zee lift with the chains really pulled up.

Thanks again!
Marc
I have an 08' sequoia and have had no problem getting the front back to within 3/8 of an inch. If you read some of my previous posts I have over 3000 miles and love it.
__________________
Jason

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline  
Old 10-01-2012, 11:05 AM   #774
Rivet Master
 
SteveH's Avatar
 
2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 5,311
I understand I have this hitch on a small trailer (400lb tongue weight), but the tow vehicle I'm using is also comperable, but I easily got the front fender height back to unhitched height. As a matter of fact, I "guestimated" the adjustment first, and actually went too far, and lowered the front of the TV from unhitched height. (see post #661)
__________________
SteveH is offline  
Old 10-01-2012, 11:13 AM   #775
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer
 
Inland RV Center, In's Avatar
 
Corona , California
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 16,499
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
I understand I have this hitch on a small trailer (400lb tongue weight), but the tow vehicle I'm using is also comperable, but I easily got the front fender height back to unhitched height. As a matter of fact, I "guestimated" the adjustment first, and actually went too far, and lowered the front of the TV from unhitched height. (see post #661)
The front of the TV should be slightly lower, indicating that you added weight to the front axle.

Andy
__________________
Inland RV Center, In is offline  
Old 10-01-2012, 02:53 PM   #776
4 Rivet Member
 
Rich of SCal's Avatar
 
2012 16' Sport
San Bernardino , California
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 438
Images: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich of SCal View Post
Today a friend with a 19' AS let me borrow his Andersen wd set up to see how it would fit on my 16' AS. I am very impressed by the quality and apparent strength of the hardware. As others have said it is much more substantial looking when you see it in person, than in any of the pictures. Gives me a lot of confidence seeing how well it is made.

Once I figure my drop, chain length, etc. I will definitely be ordering.
Well I hooked everything up, but didn't tighten, torque or put trailer weight fully on it, since I will be returning it to the friend who let me check it out.
I am glad I did. This package seems to fit almost perfectly on my 4" frame. It came with a 3"-4" bracket (extra holes), which allows a slight amount of tilt. I am wondering if I should order the 4 3/8" version?? It comes from "Hitch Anything". They seem to offer more size variations than are listed on the Andersen website. Good price too, with free shipping.

I will probably have to remove 1 chain link on each side to clear some of my gas line. But other than that it looks great.

Oh yes, it has the 4" drop. Wow, glad I looked at it before ordering. The way it is drilled, if I turn it down, I get a better drop than I did with my old one, which is bigger and heavier than the one with the Andersen kit.
__________________
Rich of SCal is offline  
Old 10-01-2012, 03:20 PM   #777
4 Rivet Member
 
Rich of SCal's Avatar
 
2012 16' Sport
San Bernardino , California
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 438
Images: 2
I just ordered it!
__________________
Rich of SCal is offline  
Old 10-01-2012, 05:18 PM   #778
Rivet Master
 
HowieE's Avatar
 
1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 6,814
Images: 12
Rich

Interesting point. The e mail notice of you post included additional comments about the angle tilt of the hitch and your TV that don't show in the post. Did you edit the post after the notice went out?

But I will comment on angle tilt based on what i was doing today. If one tilts the brackets forward at the top to obtain as close to a straight alignment of the brackets and chains it is a given that stops will have to be installed on the trailer frame.

I was setting mine up with a forward tilt today and with just the bolts tightened for a rough check. When I attempted to load the system the brackets just slid along the frame as if the bolts weren't even there. I was originally thinking of drilling and using 2 set screws but after that observation I don't think set screws would hold in time. So welded stops is the way i am going.

There will still be ware in the brackets because the frame angle of the Airstream is greater than the angle produced by the plate and chains to the brackets. I am giving some thought to drilling mounting holes in the plate give the chains as close an angle as possible to the Airstream frame angle. Have to think about how that will effect sway reduction. My first though is that it will increase the compressive force in the outside bushing during a turn, shorter leverage arm applying force to the shaft thus more compressive force needed, but will that be enough to go beyond the limits of the bushings.
__________________
WBCCI 12156 AIR 3144 WACHUNG TAC NJ6
2004 Excursion 4x4
1991 34 ft. Excella +220,000 miles, new laminated flooring, new upholstery, new 3200 lbs axles

HowieE is offline  
Old 10-01-2012, 06:23 PM   #779
retired USA/USAF

 
2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 2,157
Howie, with regards to the angle of the bracket: With the top angled forward, like you mention, do you think a bead of weld on the outside frame is enough to maintain the position or do you think that stops on top and / or bottom is also required ????

When I saw yours last week I think it was angled rearward so are you
still experimenting with the position ???

My frame is in nice condition will I be able to match the grey color or should I plan on getting "CLOSE" and painting the whole tongue ???
__________________
Roger in NJ

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline  
Old 10-01-2012, 06:28 PM   #780
4 Rivet Member
 
Rich of SCal's Avatar
 
2012 16' Sport
San Bernardino , California
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 438
Images: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE View Post
Rich

Interesting point. The e mail notice of you post included additional comments about the angle tilt of the hitch and your TV that don't show in the post. Did you edit the post after the notice went out?

But I will comment on angle tilt based on what i was doing today. If one tilts the brackets forward at the top to obtain as close to a straight alignment of the brackets and chains it is a given that stops will have to be installed on the trailer frame.

I was setting mine up with a forward tilt today and with just the bolts tightened for a rough check. When I attempted to load the system the brackets just slid along the frame as if the bolts weren't even there. I was originally thinking of drilling and using 2 set screws but after that observation I don't think set screws would hold in time. So welded stops is the way i am going.

There will still be ware in the brackets because the frame angle of the Airstream is greater than the angle produced by the plate and chains to the brackets. I am giving some thought to drilling mounting holes in the plate give the chains as close an angle as possible to the Airstream frame angle. Have to think about how that will effect sway reduction. My first though is that it will increase the compressive force in the outside bushing during a turn, shorter leverage arm applying force to the shaft thus more compressive force needed, but will that be enough to go beyond the limits of the bushings.
Yes, I deleted the comment. For those who are curious, I originally noted that since my Jeep Rubicon Unlimited is raked forward as it comes stock from the factory, I noticed that also caused my receiver to tilt up toward the AS tongue, which also tilts the Andersen plate, ball, etc. and somewhat modifies the chain angle caused my our couplers being mounted high on the frame. I deleted it because I realized that isn't the main cause of the angle, although it does help a little.

I made the same observation you did about the set screw and tilting the brackets. Since the set screw is at the bottom, if you tilt toward the TV hoping to lessen the chain angle, the set screw will act as a fulcrum and the bracket will eventually swing top to the rear. dkottum overcame this problem by drilling a hole through his frame at the top and adding a small bolt. I already have so many extra holes from the way my Reese was installed that will probably go with having a 2" weld added when I install mine.
__________________
Rich of SCal is offline  
Old 10-01-2012, 06:53 PM   #781
retired USA/USAF

 
2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 2,157
Hi Rich, I just ordered an Anderson the other day. Have not yet received it. I took a look at Howies last week to try and understand the Anderson. I'm concerned with this angle issue. The stress exerted will tend to pull the frame bracket forward at the bottom. I think this is the design and that as the bottom is pulled forward and the top tilts rearward the bolts will snug to the frame and lock it in that position. That will angle the chain upwards and create the wear issue ( I think). Angling the bracket forward at the top will improve the chain alignment and thus reduce wear BUT will a 2" bead of weld be sufficient strength to hold that alignment over the stress of usage ???? I am trying to think this out before I go to install it on my AS hoping to do it once and do it right.
__________________
Roger in NJ

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline  
Old 10-01-2012, 07:04 PM   #782
4 Rivet Member
 
Rich of SCal's Avatar
 
2012 16' Sport
San Bernardino , California
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 438
Images: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by polarlyse View Post
Hi Rich, I just ordered an Anderson the other day. Have not yet received it. I took a look at Howies last week to try and understand the Anderson. I'm concerned with this angle issue. The stress exerted will tend to pull the frame bracket forward at the bottom. I think this is the design and that as the bottom is pulled forward and the top tilts rearward the bolts will snug to the frame and lock it in that position. That will angle the chain upwards and create the wear issue ( I think). Angling the bracket forward at the top will improve the chain alignment and thus reduce wear BUT will a 2" bead of weld be sufficient strength to hold that alignment over the stress of usage ???? I am trying to think this out before I go to install it on my AS hoping to do it once and do it right.
Yes, and where should the weld be placed? If the top is tilted forward should the weld be behind it to keep it from being pulled straight and the top going toward the back?
__________________
Rich of SCal is offline  
Old 10-01-2012, 08:03 PM   #783
1 Rivet Member
 
2009 25' FB Flying Cloud
bend , oregon
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by polarlyse View Post
Hey Doug. What are you towing with ??? I have a Dodge 3500 at stock height but with 18" wheels that raise it minimally. Anderson advised the 8" rise and that's what I ordered. I have a double receiver hitch and use the lower one to tow with. It's a mega-hitch and it gets reinforcement from being attached to the factory hitch. The top edge of the receiver is 19" from the ground and that's what I use for the ball height. Gives me a nice level tow. I was thinking about that at the time of the order so we'll need to see when it gets here.

Thanks for the advice
Hi Roger,

I'm planning the Andersen hitch. Please let me know how you installation with 8" rise goes. Mine measured from ground to top of hitch receiver is 18", and I'm think 8" drop/rise is too low.

thanks,

jonathan
__________________
jyang11 is offline  
Old 10-01-2012, 08:03 PM   #784
retired USA/USAF

 
2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 2,157
I don't have the installation instructions yet but when I spoke with Jason ( at Anderson)
last week I think he mentioned an optional weld along the rear of the outer bracket. He did not feel it necessary to do rear and front though. But, in that conversation I think he felt the orientation should be with the top angled to the rear with the bolts bottomed on the frame taking the stress. I'm not sure how his opinion would change with the bracket orientation changing.
__________________

__________________
Roger in NJ

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline  
Closed Thread


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:13 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.